OT: - Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Does anyone live in Downtown Hartford?

C

Chief00

Must be tough Chief. Do you sign autographs often?

Other than the incident related - never had a problem in Hartford. Of course, you got to have some street smarts. I know in the neighborhoods it has gotten much worse in recent years. Disputes that a fight used to settle are now settled by shots. Not good. I steer clear of some areas at night that previously I never worried about.

Reaction Score
No I just took the time to read the facts of the situation instead of making random assumptions. As @huskymedic pointed out. The eviction had nothing to do with payment of rent.

Hartford Officer Recovering After Stabbing; Suspect Charged With Attempted Murder

"Augustin graduated from Hartford Public High School in 1997 and was heavily involved in school activities from debates to youth programs. She was a youth counselor at the Community Action Against Substance Abuse, or CAASA, a program that trains youths to teach other youths about substance abuse prevention.

She also received the first ever Spirit Award by Citizens of Connecticut's Children and Youth Inc. in 1997 for her research on teen sexual behaviors and attitudes."

Mental illness... Stress... Something happened here that resulted in her attacked this officer. But it definitely odd not a symptom of whether this area of Hartford is safe.

Wow. Lots of excuses and finger pointing....for someone who stabbed a cop in the neck on a routine morning police call.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with rent or how dangerous Hartford is. This is a straight mental health issue. She has schizophrenia whose onset was not apparent after graduation from Trinity. The pt was already displaying signs of disturbing behavior way before the police encounter.

Reaction Score
Posting an article about someone stabbing a cop and then relating it to it being a symptom of how far away this apartment building is away from others is exactly perpetuating a false narrative when people's knee jerk reaction is to assume this happened in some dark alley by some seedy low life. When the truth is it happened in broad daylight, with thousands of working professionals in the area, in a 9th for an apartment that she obviously qualified for and could afford by a seemingly well educated, member of the community.

Yes I would walk from XL to Front Street I've done it plenty of times.

Yes I would leave spectra at night. You act like there's nothing around it. It's sits above a coffee shop/bar that hosts evening events. It's on the same block as Uconn business school. It's only one more block to Dish/City Steam/Sorella on Main street past an apartment building and hotel. Why would you have issue making this walk? From Spectra your like 3 blocks from Front Street and can walk along the plaza to come down the stairs next to Front Street Lofts and Uconn Hartford.

I work across the street from Spectra. I've made these walks. I've never had an issue or been hesitant to do so.
The plaza is desolate at night. I know this from working late evenings and having to get to the busway via Constitution Plaza. I’m well aware of how close Front St is. I’ll keep it simple. Would you let your daughter walk from Spectra to Front Street at 10 PM via the plaza. Your answer will tell me much.

Reaction Score
Other than the incident related - never had a problem in Hartford. Of course, you got to have some street smarts. I know in the neighborhoods it has gotten much worse in recent years. Disputes that a fight used to settle are now settled by shots. Not good. I steer clear of some areas at night that previously I never worried about.

I too have never had a problem and agree that you avoid certain areas at night. To say it’s safe walking from Spectra to Front St or Front St to Spectra via the plaza at closing time is smart is just delusional

Reaction Score
I think his point was it can and does happen everywhere. Wackos are going to wacko. There are no borders.
This really shouldn't be difficult to understand. My guess is he's just being daft as part of his routine nd doesn't really think psychos only exist in Hartford.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I lived on Adelaide Street in the South End, between Franklin and Campfield (right near Mozzicato Bakery), for three years between 2007-2010, and never had a problem once. My roommate and I, both white kids from Wethersfield (and the only white people on the street), became friends with all of our neighbors-they became "mis amigos." We had the first floor of a 3 family house, and they were such fun times. I will say that most of our friends questioned our living area, but I would also say that they had more sheltered upbringings and were not as open-minded as us. I will also say that we did not walk the neighborhood at night, that there are far more dangerous Hartford neighborhoods than that one, and that the typical suburbanite would be scared to death of Adelaide Street. All things considered, I would not live in certain areas of Hartford, but I do not bash them as most suburbanites do-I saw first hand what its like to live in a high-poverty area, and cannot say that my life would be very different from theirs, had I grown up there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I lived on the edge of Bed-Sty Brooklyn for a few years in the mid-seventies. It got a little crazy the night of the big Northeast blackout. Lots of breaking glass and sirens. After a night of bar hopping I was exiting the subway station near my apartment and was jumped by a group of young men of color. They demanded my money and said they would kill me. I showed them that I had no money (spent it all at CBGB), so they took my watch and left. Kinda fun. I miss that watch.

I've lived in downtown Hartford for fifteen years and I've never been shot. Not even once. What's up with that?

Reaction Score
The plaza is desolate at night. I know this from working late evenings and having to get to the busway via Constitution Plaza. I’m well aware of how close Front St is. I’ll keep it simple. Would you let your daughter walk from Spectra to Front Street at 10 PM via the plaza. Your answer will tell me much.
People are making this seem like it's only a problem in certain Urban areas.

UConn ranks first in national report about campus rapes

Who would let their daughter walk just about anywhere at 10 PM?

Reaction Score
Hartford is cracking down on the morons driving quads and mini bikes. Might be small but that is a good step forward in quality of life.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Nowadays, I feel like while you're more likely to get robbed in a lower class census tract, you're more likely to be the victim of a mass shooting/attack in a middle/upper census tract. I'd rather get robbed.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I guess. Maybe I’ll try to go find the last time someone got evicted in Avon and responded by trying to murder a cop.

People in Avon all have health care and get mental health issues addressed. Money affords those things. In America, your zip code is the best indicator of how healthy you will be. It's sad that if you have money you're "eccentric," and if you're poor, you're "insane." Either way, I do not condone anyone attacking anyone-police officer or not.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
The walk from Spectra to Front Street is 100% safe I'd say. I don't see that as an issue ever, and I'd never question that walk. NYC or Boston are far more dangerous than that walk, and yuppies flock to those cities. If someone can't walk 2 blocks in downtown Hartford, you are either extremely paranoid or extremely sheltered.

Reaction Score
The walk from Spectra to Front Street is 100% safe I'd say. I don't see that as an issue ever, and I'd never question that walk. NYC or Boston are far more dangerous than that walk, and yuppies flock to those cities.
I work there. After 6 there is nobody on the plaza. No it is not safe. Your letting your opinion cloud facts. A few months ago some guy was knocked out by 3 kids at 5 pm

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I work there. After 6 there is nobody on the plaza. No it is not safe. Your letting your opinion cloud facts.

Ok...is it LESS safe than a stroll through Devonwood in Farmington? Yes. Is it SO unsafe that I would even consider not makaing it? No way.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I have plenty of experience living/walking/hanging out in every part of Hartford, except for the North End. At no time of day have I ever questioned walking 1-2 blocks downtown. How paranoid are people?

Reaction Score
of course - easy 4/10 mile, 8 minute safe and easy walk from Spectra to Front Street by the Convention Center, the Hartford Marriott, Science Center and the Hartford Steam Boiler building

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 3.15.50 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have plenty of experience living/walking/hanging out in every part of Hartford, except for the North End. At no time of day have I ever questioned walking 1-2 blocks downtown. How paranoid are people?
I walk in Hartford all the time but your still not addressing facts. I’ll retriev the email telling us not to walk on the plaza after dark and give you more facts tomorrow. This was from the manage company of my building

Reaction Score
of course - easy 4/10 mile, 8 minute walk by the Convention Center, the Hartford Marriot, Science Center and the Hartford Steam Boiler building

View attachment 31511
See my earlier comment. I said it is a very easy walk as is most of Hartford. Putting a pretty map up does not address the concrete dead zones or desolate areas

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I walk in Hartford all the time but your still not addressing facts. I’ll retriev the email telling us not to walk on the plaza after dark and give you more facts tomorrow. This was from the manage company of my building

That's an email that is likely just applying all of Hartford's crime stats (which are concentrated NOT in downtown) to downtown. I don't need a letter from the lawyer of a management company telling me something I know from living and experience. I will walk anywhere downtown, at any hour. I am not scared of people, or I would move to a parcel of land in Montana. Also, your management company is just as paranoid it sounds, or have not made these walks themselves. I entirely disagree that a 2-block walk in downtown Hartford is questionably safe/unsafe - "concrete dead zone (can that be more dramatic?)"or not.

Reaction Score
People in Avon all have health care and get mental health issues addressed. Money affords those things. In America, your zip code is the best indicator of how healthy you will be. It's sad that if you have money you're "eccentric," and if you're poor, you're "insane." Either way, I do not condone anyone attacking anyone-police officer or not.
Bingo, the wait time to see a psych if u have insurance is about 3 mths in Hartford. Its alot longer to impossible if u have crappy state insurance or medicaid. Many suburbanites send their kids to psychologist or therapist before that. They get monthly and sometimes weekly sessions. If u r a poor kids in the inner city; tough luck with that. That being said, getting help for people with schizophrenia is very difficult since most of them do not believe that they have any disease. They think (like the stabber) that they r being prosecuted by the world.

Reaction Score
That's an email that is likely just applying all of Hartford's crime stats (which are concentrated NOT in downtown) to downtown. I don't need a letter from the lawyer of a management company telling me something I know from living and experience. I will walk anywhere downtown, at any hour. I am not scared of people, or I would move to a parcel of land in Montana. Also, your management company is just as paranoid it sounds, or have not made these walks themselves. I entirely disagree that a 2-block walk in downtown Hartford is questionably safe/unsafe - "concrete dead zone (can that be more dramatic?)"or not.
Wrong. This was in response to a guy knocked unconscious by a group of kids by Hartford Steam Boiler

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom