Do we need another Big | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do we need another Big

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn got a quality true center? Stephanie Dolson left for the NBA in 2014...eight years ago. Before that do we have to reach back all the way to Tina Charle
When was the last time UConn got a quality true center? Stephanie Dolson left for the NBA in 2014...eight years ago. Before that do we have to reach back all the way to Tina Charles?
Azure Stevens?

Reaction Score
Edwards DeBerry and Gabriel. We need to get them going for fear of foul trouble to Liv and Dorka. With big leads we need to get them in the game and let them make their mistakes and correct them. Its late in the season and we have games where now that Christyn and Azzi are back we could give them minutes. When Paige gets back definitely give them minutes in blowouts. For nothing more then to have them ready if needed and looking towards next season the experience will go a long way especially if Liv doesnt stay another year. Im not sure but due to Covid does Liv qualify for another season????
I understand your underlying piece here. With Ice and Ayanna coming in as freshman, Edwards under a spell, Dorka uncertain to return and Piath and Deberry still in the hyperbolic chamber, we may need another experienced post that finishes or at minimum a rim protector.

Liv won't stay, Dorka may (hope she does, her fundamentals protect her from injury) but I see what you mean. I think Dorka stays and Ice Brady brings her enormous pressure off the bench. Ayanna will sub in for Caroline those two in a line-up is dangerous. Both 6'2, both versatile. I have them both in future death line-ups ;)

Reaction Score
This discussion about "bigs" is interesting. I trace the "bigs" problem that Uconn has to the recruiting 4 years ago. My recollection is that Robinson, who went to HS in Worcester, was supposedly a "sure thing" for Uconn. Instead, she went too SC and Geno was left with Liv as a second choice. Imagine the last 4 years with Robinson in the post. Interesting how the decisions of recruits can have a long term effect. Robinson's choice had the same effect on Uconn that Delle Donne's departure had.

Reaction Score
This discussion about "bigs" is interesting. I trace the "bigs" problem that Uconn has to the recruiting 4 years ago. My recollection is that Robinson, who went to HS in Worcester, was supposedly a "sure thing" for Uconn. Instead, she went too SC and Geno was left with Liv as a second choice. Imagine the last 4 years with Robinson in the post. Interesting how the decisions of recruits can have a long term effect. Robinson's choice had the same effect on Uconn that Delle Donne's departure had.
There was no Robinson. The kid's name is Boston. And Nelson-Ododa was not second choice, she was being recruited all along with Boston. UConn could have gotten both as Boston was a year behind ONO, not even in the same class.

Reaction Score
Getting a true center, either through recruiting or the portal is essential for next year, especially if Dorka leaves. Amari is a true project and this year, as far as game time goes, has been a lost season. Piath is good at what she does, contributes in late game mop up time.
Have to disagree with Amari being a “project”. While she has not lived up to her ranking, she is still a top 15 player and is imo far from a project! Bigs simply progress at a different pace and she has had some issues that have held her back even more than usual. I think she will be a solid contributor next year.

Reaction Score
I think what Tonyc is implying with his post is that Dorka and Olivia may not be enough come March when we are playing teams that are more postcentric (new word...lol). We do need either Edwards, DeBerry or Gabriel to step up and be a viable 3rd option in the post. I don't think Tonyc was disguising anything we all have been watching and the biggest problem UConn could face is having both our bigs in foul trouble against big opposing post play.
I don’t think anyone doubts that our potential path to a championship is going to be determined largely by our guard play. I don’t think our posts have any doubts about that either. Their job is simply to provide as much help as they can! In other words, if our guards ( PB, CD, , CW, E, and NM) play at the top of their game and the posts play average, we will likely win the championship. However, if the posts play at the top of their game and the guards play average, we won’t! Imo, of course!

Reaction Score
Amari is better than people give her credit. Players come in with above average to solid skills and people get excited, understandably. Well, that's just a first step. The next is fitting those skills into the coach's offensive and defensive schemes. At this point, skills aren't the problem...it's fitting them into the team's needs. Amari looks confused and Aaliyah too because they are struggling to marry steps one and two. They aren't comfortable. They are very talented. We need an athletic and long slasher who loves rebounding and lives on the baseline. I don't think we need a traditional "big".
Wha we need is someone like the DePaul kid! If we had her right now I can tell you every coach in the country would be praying that Paige waits til next year! (Of course most of them may be praying for that anyway) She, (and a healthy roster) would make us instant favorites for the title! I still believe AE could give us something close to that but don’t know when (or if) she can find herself! I’m pulling for her, though!

Reaction Score
There was no Robinson. The kid's name is Boston. And Nelson-Ododa was not second choice, she was being recruited all along with Boston. UConn could have gotten both as Boston was a year behind ONO, not even in the same class.
They actually had a verbal from Charli Collier who was rated higher than Liv and a more physical post. But then the Hurricane hit near her home so she changed her mind in order to stay close to family.

Reaction Score
I think what Tonyc is implying with his post is that Dorka and Olivia may not be enough come March when we are playing teams that are more postcentric (new word...lol). We do need either Edwards, DeBerry or Gabriel to step up and be a viable 3rd option in the post. I don't think Tonyc was disguising anything we all have been watching and the biggest problem UConn could face is having both our bigs in foul trouble against big opposing post play.
Tony is listing 5 posts get more minutes. You are suggesting 3 is fine which I think many would agree with. The point of arguing 3 is fine. But the point of arguing for 5 is not.

Reaction Score
They actually had a verbal from Charli Collier who was rated higher than Liv and a more physical post. But then the Hurricane hit near her home so she changed her mind in order to stay close to family.
Yes, I realize that. But obviously UConn had room in that class for both and I don't believe it was an either/or situation.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure if there are blow out games, Coach G will get Amari and Piath out there so that they can get some experience. A lot just depends on how they look during practice. As he has said many times, if they are working hard in practice, they will get some minutes on the floor. The standard is the standard. We do have some games coming up, on paper, where it looks like they could get some burn on the floor but that is on the players to do their part in practice to make the coaching staff look like morons for not playing these players more.

As for Liv, not sure what is the status on many of the seniors because of the Covid situation. I would love for her to stay another year. Not only for the experience factor but also for her ability to teach or work with the incoming freshmen post players. But I think that she would be ready to graduate to prevent a log jam at the post position next season. But great question.
I agree, having shouldered with "Bigs" from Grade school to the "Top of the Bottle".. Liv has all the makings of a good professional, and we watched for four years for the rise in ability. We looked for a more powerhouse vertical jump, 95% competition rate in bunny layups, and free throws. She could use to her marketing advantage another year and summer with targets and professional guidance. Remember the progression steps of Tina Charles, from.."What is she doing here?" to Class "A" All American...
If she wants to know where she stands and among the current base line court ranking then I would like to see a one on one with Morrow..from a constructive stand point, with Tina Charles making pointers...

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with Amari being a “project”. While she has not lived up to her ranking, she is still a top 15 player and is imo far from a project! Bigs simply progress at a different pace and she has had some issues that have held her back even more than usual. I think she will be a solid contributor next year.
I guess we see things through a different lens, and that's okay. I'm not seeing a top 15 player at all. Time will tell which of us is correct in the end.

sun

Reaction Score
UConn basically has enough players to field 2 complete teams.
Before the season is out, I'd like to see the "2nd team" play a quarter against a weaker Big East team to see if they can maintain a lead.
That would help allow the bigs including AE to be evaluated.
If they can't perform adequately against a weak team then how they can be expected to replace a starter if a starter goes down in a big game.
And the evaluation would allow for some serious follow up coaching by Jamelle.
And that's also how UConn can try out another player at PG, to see who can best play the position if Nika goes down.

When the bigs played during the Butler game, my impression was they weren't playing seriously and giving it their best effort.
They were being allowed to take some wild shots.
I think that they should enter the game and seriously try to play their best.
Piath did to some extent, but the rest of the team didn't seem to be taking it very seriously.
It seemed that to some extent, they were being allowed to enter the game just for the sake of playing.
AD was taking ill advised shots that weren't characteristic of a serious level of play.
That's not what evaluating a rookie's skills is about.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Well, yes, but that team had Stewie, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Napheesa Collier. A bunch of great guards and forwards as well as one of the greatest players to attend UConn
Agree with you 100% and I knew it too. The point I was trying to make is that no matter what point in the season we are at, if something happens to one of the players, or even a coach or two, that Geno has his players ready for the situation.
Now if we suddenly have 2 or more players unavailable, that might be a bit harder for him to figure out in 48 hours or less. But I have faith that he will do it.

Reaction Score
This isn't that complicated. We have a short three big rotation now. I would argue that two of the three have significantly under-performed expectations in Aaliyah and Dorka. Next year the most likely scenario is Liv leaves and Dorka stays and becomes the new starting center.

Do I worry that Dorka may be a step down from Liv? Yea I do based on this season so far, but I also believe she may be better particularly offensively as a C than as a PF. Regardless she is the obvious answer as to who the starting C is likely to be next year, and she is a true C, not a PF out of position.

The backup may or may not be a true C. Either Amari or Piath could be, time will tell, they both appear to have the ability to at least be an above average backup C, if not far more than that. Amari in particular may be a contender to start by her Junior year after Dorka leaves. They are C size, but because we will have several other talented PF types in Aaliyah, Ice and Ayanna for next year, if one of those three is outperforming Amari and Piath they could handle the backup C role.

So for next year I feel the pieces are already here or coming for our big rotation. We can start a true C in Dorka and might have a 6-5 substitute if they develop, if not a talented PF type say Ice who has the bulk to bang a little in the post.

Is it possible somebody is out there in the portal that could help us? Maybe, but not very likely. I also don't see it as an urgent need. If anything a backup 2/3 from the portal would be my first priority. Now if Dorka doesn't return things are different. In that case we might need someone like Ice to start as a freshmen or Amari or Piath would have to step up. They might be fine but it would be a major question mark.

As long as Dorka returns we have a known projected starter who should be pretty good, two good 6-5 prospects for backup duty, and several PF's that could at least be good backups at C if needed, even if they would be undersized against some.

Reaction Score
And where is this "Big" coming from? Or is this another "why don't Amari and Piath get more minutes" thread in disguise?
In many ways, Caroline is the other “Big”. She gets position under the basket better than anyone, runs the floor, and has quite a few blocks, and unlike some of UConn’s other “Bigs” almost never misses a chippie.

Reaction Score
The idea of position less players has grown especially in the men's game. The pace is much different in the women's game and they don't play above the rim so bigs play a larger roll in many cases, ie. SC.
In the last game with DePaul, due to foul trouble, we went small and quickly lost a lead. Perhaps this was due to the 2nd qtr mix having had little time to practice this combo. With our return to more guards and CD being a hybrid we might see more of this with full court presses, stolen passes and quickness all around. The slow down games we have needed to play may be a thing of the past. To make this really effective you need good defensive rebounding and quick outlet passes. Bigs are not always the answer. We are built for speed and it will show up soon.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agree with you 100% and I knew it too. The point I was trying to make is that no matter what point in the season we are at, if something happens to one of the players, or even a coach or two, that Geno has his players ready for the situation.
Now if we suddenly have 2 or more players unavailable, that might be a bit harder for him to figure out in 48 hours or less. But I have faith that he will do it.
The team Geno considers his most talented, 2000-2001, lost two players during the season, one late. Svet ruptured her Achilles’ tendon during the regular season then Shea to an ACL injury late. Despite a remaining team of Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams, Kelly Schumacher, and Kennitra Johnson, the team lost to ND in the Final Four

The Huskies we’re pretty lucky to have avoided injuries to key players until that year. Unfortunately they couldn’t ultimately overcome the loss of two senior team leaders

Reaction Score
In the tournament I really believe that guard play is the key. SC, Baylor, Stanford in the past had bigs but it was their guards that was the key to them winning the tournament. If we get Paige back and improve our 3 point shooting (Paige, CD and Azzi). Then we would offset any postcentric team.

Reaction Score
In the tournament I really believe that guard play is the key. SC, Baylor, Stanford in the past had bigs but it was their guards that was the key to them winning the tournament. If we get Paige back and improve our 3 point shooting (Paige, CD and Azzi). Then we would offset any postcentric team.
Geno has always said “you can never have too many guards”.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN does not "need" another big for next season. What UCONN needs is for AE, Piath or Amari to play better than they are currently playing. UCONN also needs for Dorka to return & for the incoming forwards Ice and Ayanna to be reliable parts of the rotation. Having said that these needs could easily turn into keeping up with the Jones and largely depends who becomes available in the transfer portal. Rickea Jackson is in the transfer portal by no means is she big but.... if she lands at SC then SC (already the #1 Team in the nation) would have added two top 5 players via the portal in consecutive years.
UCONN also needs to be in the portal because there is a need for a rotation wing /guard type player as insurance and not to be totally reliant on Aubrey making a full recovery.

Reaction Score
Before the season is out, I'd like to see the "2nd team" play a quarter against a weaker Big East team to see if they can maintain a lead.
That would help allow the bigs including AE to be evaluated.
If they can't perform adequately against a weak team then how they can be expected to replace a starter if a starter goes down in a big game.

And that's also how UConn can try out another player at PG, to see who can best play the position if Nika goes down.
Just as nearly ever wcbb has done in the history of the sport, and that includes the 11 time champion UCONN huskies that have been to 17 straight Final Fours; they go with player rotations up to 9 players and as few as 6. Rarely you get a 10 player rotation. And there have been other teams other than UCONN that have gone 8 or less. Many players are versatile. They don't fill just 1 position.

In regards to Nika, UCONN has the backup pg, that's Evina.

Reaction Score
The slow down games we have needed to play may be a thing of the past. To make this really effective you need good defensive rebounding and quick outlet passes. Bigs are not always the answer. We are built for speed and it will show up soon.
UOCNN is a fast-breaking team. They play with fast pace. They have been hurt this year, that's why they have slowed down.

There's a reason why UCONN tends to get a lot top recruit top 5 guards is that they play fast pace.

Ideally, you should be able to play both. Both run and play halfcourt. Eventually a good team will slow you down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom