Do we need another Big | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Do we need another Big

Reaction Score
We should be thankful if we go into next year with Dorka, AE, Ice, Ayanna, Amari, Piath and don't forget Caroline can play big as well. We will be fine. Would we have wanted Betts? Of course, but you cant have every top player. We got 2 of the top 5 players in next years crop and both are bigs.

Reaction Score
It would seem that we could have signed at least one more player for next year but Geno is selective about who they go after and who they sign and I can't fault that approach. I probably would sign more players but then you might have some players who just lock down scholarships but can't contribute that much.

Reaction Score
Liv is going to be a 1st round draft pick. She should take the money.
After the first couple games this season I didn’t believe Liv was a first round pick. But the way she’s played the last handful of games she has lifted her status in my eyes and I believe she is deserving of a first round draft pick

Reaction Score
Let's net it out. For the next year, the championship goes through Boston and S. Carolina. Watched SC dominate a good 15-5 Florida team today (up 33-13 at half, then seemed to lose interest), and its unlikely we could bring in a big that could move the needle. With SC usually packing their defense in, another strong shooting or defensive guard could have a positive effect.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s always interesting to read the thoughts and concerns of others on topics of this nature. IMO, BIGS are like money. You can never have too many/much. When was the last time you heard of someone complaining about having too much money? :eek: It’s the reason good quality bigs go early in the WNBA draft every year. Anyone care to wager that Aliyah Boston won’t be gone in the W’s draft before the 4th selection after next year’s season? (2023)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let's net it out. For the next year, the championship goes through Boston and S. Carolina. Watched SC dominate a good 15-5 Florida team today (up 33-13 at half, then seemed to lose interest), and its unlikely we could bring in a big that could move the needle. With SC usually packing their defense in, another strong shooting or defensive guard could have a positive effect.
I wrote the thing (the road to the NC goes through SC) about 2-3 weeks ago. The NC is theirs to lose. And don’t think they don’t know that. You don’t want to be in their tournament bracket this year. :confused:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Doesn’t Liv get another year if she wants it?

Reaction Score
UConn basically has enough players to field 2 complete teams.
Before the season is out, I'd like to see the "2nd team" play a quarter against a weaker Big East team to see if they can maintain a lead.
That would help allow the bigs including AE to be evaluated.
If they can't perform adequately against a weak team then how they can be expected to replace a starter if a starter goes down in a big game.
And the evaluation would allow for some serious follow up coaching by Jamelle.
And that's also how UConn can try out another player at PG, to see who can best play the position if Nika goes down.

When the bigs played during the Butler game, my impression was they weren't playing seriously and giving it their best effort.
They were being allowed to take some wild shots.
I think that they should enter the game and seriously try to play their best.
Piath did to some extent, but the rest of the team didn't seem to be taking it very seriously.
It seemed that to some extent, they were being allowed to enter the game just for the sake of playing.
AD was taking ill advised shots that weren't characteristic of a serious level of play.
That's not what evaluating a rookie's skills is about.
Please, some espoused that idea earlier in the season.
Going as far as stating UCONN could field two top ten teams.
Let’s not go there again.

Reaction Score
We have a hard time winning games with our best players, and you want to spend time developing players in games that most likely are never going to get off the bench in tournament play. There's only so much one can plan for, and injuries do not fall under that category. If they happen, they happen, and you do the best you can with what ya got.

You write as though you think you'd be a good replacement for Geno. Hard to laugh at that one.
I suggest in today's world of WCBB injuries are expected. Probabilities being what they are tend tosay they will happen some time to all teams. Further, I suggest, Geno knowing that increased the numbers for10 to 12. Unfortunately, he did not have 2 injuries he had 4.No one may predict who and where or when injuries may occur but over time they will happen to nearly all teams. Therefore, predictable if only probable.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Having a BIG and having a BIG that is productive is two different things. Yes, we have four 6’5” players but only 2 of them play. In Geno I trust. I sincerely hope that he is working a plan that will have both of them ready this fall. ONO is leaving after this year. Dorka said will return next year, but I’m not counting on her unless and until she returns to campus in June.

Geno is going to need all three of his bigs next year. Whether they’ll be ready or not is another question. I’m not counting on our 2 incoming freshmen to play the 5. That’s not what they were recruited here to do.

If Geno feels he needs another post player, perhaps he can find one in the portal. There are reasons DeBerry and Gabriel are not playing. We can only hope they improve enough to warrant meaningful playing time before the beginning of the season in November.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've criticized Geno's recruiting strategy the past 5 years for not getting more true impactful bigs than can play post. The ratio of guards and small forwards to bigs is way too high. Imo, it's the main reason for not winning a title for so long. I can't see winning a title with ONO playing by the paint.

Reaction Score
Edwards DeBerry and Gabriel. We need to get them going for fear of foul trouble to Liv and Dorka. With big leads we need to get them in the game and let them make their mistakes and correct them. Its late in the season and we have games where now that Christyn and Azzi are back we could give them minutes. When Paige gets back definitely give them minutes in blowouts. For nothing more then to have them ready if needed and looking towards next season the experience will go a long way especially if Liv doesnt stay another year. Im not sure but due to Covid does Liv qualify for another season????
The Providence game with Dorka out due to injury, was the perfect opportunity for Geno to work Piath and Amari into the 'big' rotation.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As of this morning the answer is YES! The Old Dog Geno needs to learn a new trick: how to develop his entire team, not just few. Without Paige's injury Caroline would have languished on the bench as Amari and Piath do. Wake up old man! Develop all of your players!
Edwards DeBerry and Gabriel. We need to get them going for fear of foul trouble to Liv and Dorka. With big leads we need to get them in the game and let them make their mistakes and correct them. Its late in the season and we have games where now that Christyn and Azzi are back we could give them minutes. When Paige gets back definitely give them minutes in blowouts. For nothing more then to have them ready if needed and looking towards next season the experience will go a long way especially if Liv doesnt stay another year. Im not sure but due to Covid does Liv qualify for another season????

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure if there are blow out games, Coach G will get Amari and Piath out there so that they can get some experience.
Not to denigrate the ladies from DePaul or Providence, who played hard and gave us all we could handle, but if the "blowouts" haven't occurred in those games, when will they materialize? As of now, there is no actual return date for Paige.
We have to prepare for each game as if she will NOT be returning. We have to try to win with the troops we can put into the fray NOW.
If and when Paige comes back, GREAT, WONDERFUL!!
Is anyone seriously concerned that her return would be a source of confusion and disruption?
We don't have Aubrey, and for what it's worth we don't have Mir or Saylor.
We have Piath, apparently in good health.
We have Amari, who also seems to be hale and hearty.
Why not let them do what they CAN do while they learn what they MUST do?

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn needs to get them going.
Reserves need to be good enough to play championship caliber BB in the event that Liv or Dorka become injured, sick or fouls out at anytime.
To not prepare them for the possibility that an injury can occur during a tourney game would show a lack of adequate planning.
It's the same with the PG position if only one player is considered capable.

It's too boilerplate to always claim that it's due to how well they practice if it's really because Geno doesn't think that they're good enough yet or needed.
They need to be prepared because anything can happen leading up to elimination tournaments.

Given ONO's reversion to her old days of fouling, failing to stop players slashing to the basket, and disinclination to shoot, I don't understand why Coach Geno doesn't give Gabriel more opportunity. In the two games she's played in recently, she scored (if my numbers are correct) 14 points in 18 minutes. And she had no qualms about banging the ball right up to the basket. She's big, strong, and has guts. Why not put her in? What more does she need to do?

DeBerry has been surprisingly out of kilter when she's gotten in games, which belies her high scholastic ranking. But Gabriel has made great strides since freshman year.

With ONO and Edwards struggling, why not give Gabriel real minutes to prove herself?

Reaction Score
I agree, having shouldered with "Bigs" from Grade school to the "Top of the Bottle".. Liv has all the makings of a good professional, and we watched for four years for the rise in ability. We looked for a more powerhouse vertical jump, 95% competition rate in bunny layups, and free throws. She could use to her marketing advantage another year and summer with targets and professional guidance. Remember the progression steps of Tina Charles, from.."What is she doing here?" to Class "A" All American...
If she wants to know where she stands and among the current base line court ranking then I would like to see a one on one with Morrow..from a constructive stand point, with Tina Charles making pointers...

Have to take issue. ONO hasn't progressed, and she's in the downside of her final season of college ball. Why would a WNBA team take a risk of even drafting her if she can't remain in a game more than 25 minutes against a mediocre Big East team like Providence because she's committed four personal fouls? She refuses to take more than a half dozen shots in a game, and her free throw shooting is poor. Further, look closely, and one sees that she is by no means a force underneath. Teams, including guards, regularly shoot over her in the lane. And pay attention, and you see that when a shot goes up, ONO often, instead of going for a rebound, actually backs away from the ball.

Not a great rebounder, can't shoot free throws, rarely plays aggressively, and as a result gets to the free throw line less often than guards half a foot shorter. Can't see her being drafted, let alone sticking with a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
Having a BIG and having a BIG that is productive is two different things. Yes, we have four 6’5” players but only 2 of them play. In Geno I trust. I sincerely hope that he is working a plan that will have both of them ready this fall. ONO is leaving after this year. Dorka said will return next year, but I’m not counting on her unless and until she returns to campus in June.

Geno is going to need all three of his bigs next year. Whether they’ll be ready or not is another question. I’m not counting on our 2 incoming freshmen to play the 5. That’s not what they were recruited here to do.

If Geno feels he needs another post player, perhaps he can find one in the portal. There are reasons DeBerry and Gabriel are not playing. We can only hope they improve enough to warrant meaningful playing time before the beginning of the season in November.
I didn't recall that DeBerry had been injured as well. What happened to her?

Reaction Score

Yes, let's recall that UConn won NC's with great or very good bigs: Tina Charles was superb from her freshman season on, just went from very good to AA. There was Dolson and the 6'4" Breanna Stewart, who played post, forward, guard, and everything else. There was Rebecca Lobo. There was the supporting cast of bigs in the amazing shot-blocker Kiah Stokes and the muscular and unstoppable 6'2" Morgan Tuck.

In short, really good bigs have been the sine qua non of our national championships. So yes, we don't just need 6'5" players, we need really good Bigs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've criticized Geno's recruiting strategy the past 5 years for not getting more true impactful bigs than can play post. The ratio of guards and small forwards to bigs is way too high. Imo, it's the main reason for not winning a title for so long. I can't see winning a title with ONO playing by the paint.
I think it is fair to criticize the recruiting "result" of the past 5 year but not the strategy. I can't think of a single notable big in the last 5 years that UCONN has not evaluated. We don't have access to the results of those evaluations and what came next. For example, Geno had an in home visit with Shakira Austin and went to see Kamilla Cardosa play at her high school.
The results: Some of the players that UCONN got were not the players they though they were getting. Some of the players UCONN though they were getting they didn't get. BTW those results apply equally to both Guards and Bigs.

Reaction Score
The Providence game with Dorka out due to injury, was the perfect opportunity for Geno to work Piath and Amari into the 'big' rotation.
Yeah, a game we actually were in danger of losing! The time to play those two is when you have a big lead and are in no danger of losing the game. I mean, it’s not like we are playing well enough this year where he can be confident that reinserting the starters will instantly right the ship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom