Do we need another Big | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we need another Big

Reaction Score
Amari is better than people give her credit. Players come in with above average to solid skills and people get excited, understandably. Well, that's just a first step. The next is fitting those skills into the coach's offensive and defensive schemes. At this point, skills aren't the problem...it's fitting them into the team's needs. Amari looks confused and Aaliyah too because they are struggling to marry steps one and two. They aren't comfortable. They are very talented. We need an athletic and long slasher who loves rebounding and lives on the baseline. I don't think we need a traditional "big".
Patterson.

Reaction Score
Patterson.
Honestly, I'm hoping it's her, but she likes the perimeter more than I would like for the type I have in mind. Don't take this for I don't think she's AA material. She is. Ironically (I'm laughing at myself), maybe a taller Dennis Rodman, but who can actually make a layup. Raw. Loves contact. Instinctively create around the rim.

sun

Reaction Score
Edwards DeBerry and Gabriel. We need to get them going for fear of foul trouble to Liv and Dorka. With big leads we need to get them in the game and let them make their mistakes and correct them. Its late in the season and we have games where now that Christyn and Azzi are back we could give them minutes. When Paige gets back definitely give them minutes in blowouts. For nothing more then to have them ready if needed and looking towards next season the experience will go a long way especially if Liv doesnt stay another year. Im not sure but due to Covid does Liv qualify for another season????
I agree that UConn needs to get them going.
Reserves need to be good enough to play championship caliber BB in the event that Liv or Dorka become injured, sick or fouls out at anytime.
To not prepare them for the possibility that an injury can occur during a tourney game would show a lack of adequate planning.
It's the same with the PG position if only one player is considered capable.

It's too boilerplate to always claim that it's due to how well they practice if it's really because Geno doesn't think that they're good enough yet or needed.
They need to be prepared because anything can happen leading up to elimination tournaments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amari is better than people give her credit. Players come in with above average to solid skills and people get excited, understandably. Well, that's just a first step. The next is fitting those skills into the coach's offensive and defensive schemes. At this point, skills aren't the problem...it's fitting them into the team's needs. Amari looks confused and Aaliyah too because they are struggling to marry steps one and two. They aren't comfortable. They are very talented. We need an athletic and long slasher who loves rebounding and lives on the baseline. I don't think we need a traditional "big".
That athletic long slasher that rebound is Aubrey Griffin but we won’t see her til next year unfortunately

Reaction Score
IMHO, we will see Amari and Piath make a substantial upgrade in the quality of their play. Amari is highly skilled and missed time in the summer and fall due to injuries. A great passer; she has already had a 5 assist, 2 steal, 1 block game despite her limited minutes. A good spring/summer of conditioning and skill development. A good summer session with the coaches and she could well step into Liv's role as part of the triumvirate with Dorka and Aaliyah. Piath is physically stronger, partially due to a year and a half of conditioning and she seems longer that any of the other 6'5" players. She has taken to banging underneath. Last year Piath was very raw. She has improved to being able to get position, call for the ball and score. Give them a little more time...

Have to agree that Amari will get major minutes next year. As thin as ONO is, she is in hand to hand combat every game. Dorka is skilled and makes few mistakes but is not a physical player.

Reaction Score
What money? Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless she can make big bucks overseas, the most she's making in the WNBA is 75K.......she may be able to make that much or more with NILs while at UConn with the right management and especially with an NC.....:)
Pretty close. Rookie salary for picks 9-12 is 66K and third year is 74K if they make it that far and many don't.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm hoping it's her, but she likes the perimeter more than I would like for the type I have in mind. Don't take this for I don't think she's AA material. She is. Ironically (I'm laughing at myself), maybe a taller Dennis Rodman, but who can actually make a layup. Raw. Loves contact. Instinctively create around the rim.
This describes Patterson. Her HS team is small and she willingly stays inside within the offense and does all the inside work, constantly working for position. Tremendous attitude and hard worker.

Reaction Score
Reserves need to be good enough to play championship caliber BB in the event that Liv or Dorka become injured, sick or fouls out at anytime.
To not prepare them for the possibility that an injury can occur during a tourney game would show a lack of adequate planning.

It's too boilerplate to always claim that it's due to how well they practice if it's really because Geno doesn't think that they're good enough yet or needed.
They need to be prepared because anything can happen leading up to elimination tournaments.
We have a hard time winning games with our best players, and you want to spend time developing players in games that most likely are never going to get off the bench in tournament play. There's only so much one can plan for, and injuries do not fall under that category. If they happen, they happen, and you do the best you can with what ya got.

You write as though you think you'd be a good replacement for Geno. Hard to laugh at that one.

sun

Reaction Score
You write as though you think you'd be a good replacement for Geno. Hard to laugh at that one.
You write as though you need to be derogatory just because you don't agree with a valid opinion.

We have a hard time winning games with our best players, and you want to spend time developing players in games that most likely are never going to get off the bench in tournament play. There's only so much one can plan for, and injuries do not fall under that category. If they happen, they happen, and you do the best you can with what ya got.

We've already seen how easily Paige was injured, and how injuries to Nika, Azzi and Aubrey affected the team's ability to win games.
And we may have lost 2 more players this year because they either sat on the bench to much or didn't foresee getting enough minutes.
Now that that we have some guards that can score playing again, and considering our dominance in the Big East, we should be able to afford to give our bigs more game time.
It can save wear & tear and potential injuries to Liv & Dorka.
Every player is only one play away from injury, so Geno should plan ahead, like the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edwards DeBerry and Gabriel. We need to get them going for fear of foul trouble to Liv and Dorka. With big leads we need to get them in the game and let them make their mistakes and correct them. Its late in the season and we have games where now that Christyn and Azzi are back we could give them minutes. When Paige gets back definitely give them minutes in blowouts. For nothing more then to have them ready if needed and looking towards next season the experiencewill go a long way especially if Liv doesnt stay another year. Im not sure but due to Covid does Liv qualify for another season????
As usual you hit the nail squarely, How so ever, The BIGS Geno has on the bench are projects. They are not as yet ready for prime time. With he coming games in the BE they should get minutes to learn in game time. Will they progress to being replacements for ONO or Dorka?? Big Question?? CD or Geno probably would say NO. But a minute here or there to give Dorka Ono rests with a lead, maybe.

Reaction Score

I maybe wrong but I took TonyC's hypothesis to suggest : In dire need they need to learn to fill the void without hurting the team. And the coming BE games will have opportunities. With more of the team back games won't be as close.

Reaction Score
I maybe wrong but I took TonyC's hypothesis to suggest : In dire need they need to learn to fill the void without hurting the team. And the coming BE games will have opportunities. With more of the team back games won't be as close.
What? How does anything I wrote have anything to do with Tonyc?

Reaction Score
Maybe. How many games have you watched her play? Just curious.
Quite a few.

I tend to think though freshman year for any player is a wildcard unless you're someone like Paige.

I just threw her name out as a possibility. I do envision her game early on to be inside oriented and yet mobile with the ball. She can handle it from what I see. Though in year 1 in might not be good enough for a top 5 team in that she'll make too many mistakes possibly. Though imo she has the skills for it. One game I think they were being pressed by Ashlynn Shade's team, while I was watching I was saying "Let Patterson bring the ball up." Pattersons'; team was struggling mightily handling the ball while they had Patterson down the other end waiting for the guards to break the pressure. - I think she has possibilities - almost like Charde Houston years ago would do vs Rutgers when RU was a heavy press team.

Reaction Score
I think what Tonyc is implying with his post is that Dorka and Olivia may not be enough come March when we are playing teams that are more postcentric (new word...lol). We do need either Edwards, DeBerry or Gabriel to step up and be a viable 3rd option in the post. I don't think Tonyc was disguising anything we all have been watching and the biggest problem UConn could face is having both our bigs in foul trouble against big opposing post play.
I only use stats in game time--for CD's Fudd's points ONO/Dorka's fouls. So this may be imagined or real. In games against the like or clones of Boston ONO and Dorka are not physical enough or are more foul prone in Defense. Another, effective, 6 5 player is needed in the event Uconn in late March/April is up against a 6 ft 5 in, 230 pounds mobile post.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

April 2016, Katie Lou, a starter, breaks her foot in the National Championship Semifinal. UConn wins the NC, without much trouble at all. Moral of this story, I really, really believe that Geno knows what he is doing when it comes to his team. At all times.

Reaction Score
What? How does anything I wrote have anything to do with Tonyc?
Golly gee whiz--I thought this thread was started by Tony C and the comments related to that. I'm sorry to disrupt your new Thread.

Reaction Score
Quite a few.

I tend to think though freshman year for any player is a wildcard unless you're someone like Paige.

I just threw her name out as a possibility. I do envision her game early on to be inside oriented and yet mobile with the ball. She can handle it from what I see. Though in year 1 in might not be good enough for a top 5 team in that she'll make too many mistakes possibly. Though imo she has the skills for it. One game I think they were being pressed by Ashlynn Shade's team, while I was watching I was saying "Let Patterson bring the ball up." Pattersons'; team was struggling mightily handling the ball while they had Patterson down the other end waiting for the guards to break the pressure. - I think she has possibilities - almost like Charde Houston years ago would do vs Rutgers when RU was a heavy press team.
Thank you for such a detailed account. I great appreciate it as I have not yet had the pleasure of watching her play on YouTube.

Reaction Score
Ice is 6'3" the last I read.

Morrow of DePaul is 6'1". I'd start her at the 5 if she was a Husky right now. Stokes was 6'3" It seems that whenever UConn loses out on very tall players (Cardoso, Betts) some start feeling inferior.

Reaction Score
Thank you for such a detailed account. I great appreciate it as I have not yet had the pleasure of watching her play on YouTube.
There are links to her games in the January recruiting thread posted by @Sluconn Husky.

Reaction Score

I agree big time with your pov. But you are being entirely way too harsh on the poster sun. Like you I favor always to play your best though. IMO that is far superior than playing your 10th and 11th player other than in blowouts. Playing your best players with a 7-8 player (maybe 9) is mostly best way to go.

Reaction Score
I agree big time with your pov. But you are being entirely way too harsh on the poster sun. Like you I favor always to play your best though. IMO that is far superior than playing your 10th and 11th player other than in blowouts. Playing your best players with a 7-8 player (maybe 9) is mostly best way to go.
Yes, you are most likely correct about my harshness toward "sun". I didn't come on here to make enemies, but today it seems I have made a few. I've just read too many posts of his that come off as being way to critical of how Geno handles things. How can anyone one of us think we know more about coaching this game, preparing for games, etc., etc., etc., than the man himself?

I'll do my best to back off (ignore him). Thanks for the friendly advice.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
April 2016, Katie Lou, a starter, breaks her foot in the National Championship Semifinal. UConn wins the NC, without much trouble at all. Moral of this story, I really, really believe that Geno knows what he is doing when it comes to his team. At all times.
Well, yes, but that team had Stewie, Morgan Tuck, Moriah Jefferson, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Napheesa Collier. A bunch of great guards and forwards as well as one of the greatest players to attend UConn

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Morrow of DePaul is 6'1". I'd start her at the 5 if she was a Husky right now. Stokes was 6'3" It seems that whenever UConn loses out on very tall players (Cardoso, Betts) some start feeling inferior.
I think you read an awful lot into my post. Actually I think Ice will do very well as a 5. She is, as Dick Vitale says, a space eater with good hops and does have back to the basket skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom