DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

Reaction Score
Well, as most folks have noticed, the Pac 12 has changed quite a bit from 30 years ago. If I remember correctly, UCONN scored 56 points and shot 39% playing Oregon at Gampel this past season. And here are Massey's 2019-20 defensive ratings for 6 Pac12 schools: Arizona (9), Stanford (10), Oregon (11), Oregon State (13), Arizona State (16), and Colorado (36). UCONN is at #4, but with a weaker SOS than 3 of the above. I know it's Massey, but it does suggest that your assumptions about Carrington need to be adjusted.

I wasn't justifying my opinion, just relating how it came about. But it gets re-enforced whenever UConn travels west for games. :D

Massey takes SOS into consideration in it's algorithm. And if you read the posts of UConn fans about their defense this year you'd know that this season was easily the worst UConn defensive team in over least a decade and yet Massey has them at No 4.

I think Oregon fans will be using 2020 to make points for a long time. Not that I blame you but 2020 was a great year for the P12 while other conferences/UConn regressed.

Reaction Score
I honestly did not know UCONN played in a conference. I thought they were independent.

Reaction Score
Lordie, don't lock it! If DiJonai Carrington had not come along we'd have had to invent her. After all, at least for now, it's this or endless Azzi ruminations.
Would an Azzi thread be a Notre Dame recruit thread? :)

Reaction Score
I honestly did not know UCONN played in a conference. I thought they were independent.
I guess the American was a Conference (the Clean Sweep Conference). The Big East is better, but not what it used to be.

How about a women's basketball super conference? ND, Stanford, SC, Baylor, UConn, Maryland, Oregon, Oregon State, Louisville, UCLA, Miss St, NC State, DePaul and Northwestern. Home and home across the board 26 games schedule. The best of the best. No team goes undefeated. ESPN would love it. It would be great for Women's basketball.

I know The NCAA would say no, Conferences would say no, AD's would say no. Crybaby men's coaches would say no.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Well, I don't need to convince you. But as noted she scored 21 on 8-15 shooting and grabbed 7 boards in a visit to Storrs in November of '17. UConn won handily but Carrington had herself a nice game.

She looked really good in December of '18 dropping 33 on 11-15 w/ 13 boards on the road against a previously undefeated Tennessee team. Of course I'm just cherry picking a few games, but it proves she can play at a very high level against talented teams.
Did you just use the word 'talented' in reference to the 2018-19 tennessee team.? the 7-9 sec tennessee? the seventh place sec tennessee? that tennessee? the team that was so dysfunctional that their coach was fired tennessee? That is some high class cherry picking. But you do get extra credit for your honesty in the games you selected.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
To be honest, I was very impressed with DJC the last time I saw her play. She played with an almost reckless abandon that demonstrated a passion for the game. I greatly enjoyed what she added to the game. In light of a one year transfer, I question what she can add to the current UConn team. I understand the only 10 player argument in regards to travel practice, but that is of small concern to me. The primary need is finding post backup for Olivia. Someone who can spell her for 3 minutes 3 times a game without a significant drop off on the defensive end. Piath may develop into that player, but that remains to be seen. I would love to see a seasoned post banger to play while Piath develops. We are adding 6 new players to the team, that probably is going without the typical summer scrimmage/bonding time. Adding a 7th will just add to the integration and team chemistry issues.

Reaction Score
I guess the American was a Conference (the Clean Sweep Conference). The Big East is better, but not what it used to be.

How about a women's basketball super conference? ND, Stanford, SC, Baylor, UConn, Maryland, Oregon, Oregon State, Louisville, UCLA, Miss St, NC State, DePaul and Northwestern. Home and home across the board 26 games schedule. The best of the best. No team goes undefeated. ESPN would love it. It would be great for Women's basketball.

I know The NCAA would say no, Conferences would say no, AD's would say no. Crybaby men's coaches would say no.

Interesting that you put together a super conference of 14 teams and did not include Tennessee. How the mighty have fallen.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I was very impressed with DJC the last time I saw her play. She played with an almost reckless abandon that demonstrated a passion for the game. I greatly enjoyed what she added to the game. In light of a one year transfer, I question what she can add to the current UConn team. I understand the only 10 player argument in regards to travel practice, but that is of small concern to me. The primary need is finding post backup for Olivia. Someone who can spell her for 3 minutes 3 times a game without a significant drop off on the defensive end. Piath may develop into that player, but that remains to be seen. I would love to see a seasoned post banger to play while Piath develops. We are adding 6 new players to the team, that probably is going without the typical summer scrimmage/bonding time. Adding a 7th will just add to the integration and team chemistry issues.

Agree with all of this, and like many I view a Liv backup that is ready to go as the best potential addition. In some ways if healthy we can cover for that now, not with Piath, but rather with short stretches of Liv being out handled by playing Alliah at the 5 and bringing Aubrey in at the 4. That would be a little undersized but with enough talent to make it work.

The issue with DJC as I see it, is how she would be used. I could see her perspective and Geno's potentially being very different. Of course most any coach would love to have her as "insurance", but her recent interviews suggest she wants an important role, and she also talks about the WNBA.

Some things fit and others don't. This team could use a player that takes it aggressively to the basket and draws some fouls. As a team we didn't get to the line much. On the other hand I think Geno is so turnover adverse that he frequently weens that trait from some players. CW in particular I believe could drive the lane and go all the way or pull up for a mid-range jumper, but seems to struggle a little with how aggressive to be and then turns into a spot up three point shooter.

If you didn't know her size in advance and looked up her stats, you might think DJC was a 4. She certainly rebounds like one, but her ball-handling numbers look like one also. Sometimes coaches try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Those are usually systems coaches looking for players that will adapt their game to your system. Others at least for talented players adjust the system to the player's strength. Geno is mostly the former but has also done a fair amount of the later, maybe Gabby being the best example of finding a way to use her gifts to be effective offensively.

So with the chess pieces we have how could she best fit? To me it would be competing with Anna for small forward minutes. Between the two you have pretty much every skill covered. Great outside shooting and passing from Anna, great rebounding, penetration/drawing fouls, and good defense from DJC. Her rebounding edge could make her a better SF fit than the other alternatives, namely playing small-ball with SG's there, Evina or CW, or going with another rebounder, but far less skilled and inexperienced (Mir).

If doing that on a probable final four team, with lots of exposure is enough of a role and helps her enhance whatever WNBA prospects she has, then maybe the right role from both the player and the coaches perspective can come into sync.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Brenda Frese would say no.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Did you just use the word 'talented' in reference to the 2018-19 tennessee team.? the 7-9 sec tennessee? the seventh place sec tennessee? that tennessee? the team that was so dysfunctional that their coach was fired tennessee? That is some high class cherry picking. But you do get extra credit for your honesty in the games you selected.

Yes, I did say talented, because that team had talent. Several of their players will be in the WNBA. It was a very poorly coached and underachieving team, but that doesn't wipe out the raw abilities of some of their players.

edit--if in your opinion there was no talent on that team, why did Geno take a transfer player from that squad?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It won't matter because, if a vaccine is not developed and readily available to the public by the end of this year or the beginning of next year, as the president is saying, there will probably be no 2020-2021 season.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't need to convince you. But as noted she scored 21 on 8-15 shooting and grabbed 7 boards in a visit to Storrs in November of '17. UConn won handily but Carrington had herself a nice game.

She looked really good in December of '18 dropping 33 on 11-15 w/ 13 boards on the road against a previously undefeated Tennessee team. Of course I'm just cherry picking a few games, but it proves she can play at a very high level against talented teams.

I am not asking you to convince me nor do I care. My original inquiry was my confusion as to why a Carrington transfer made that team a national contender. You, sir/madam, sarcastically chimed in. Good day.

Reaction Score
Well, a key difference is that Carrington has more stellar performances against top teams than stinkers. As a sophomore, she put up 21 points against UConn. So, she typically has always shown up. By comparison, both Walker and Williams disappeared so much this season alone Lobo made an entire graphic demonstration.

Carrington is an emotional leader, even on her off nights offensively, she’s making a difference whether it be defensively or emotionally. UConn was quite notably missing a vocal leader this season. Dangerfield did her best, but there was only so much she could do. I’d go as far as saying the team with Collier and Samuelson was missing a vocal/emotional leader too. To me, Collier had her moments, but she struck me as a lead by example type.

With Carrington, you get a grittiness that some of the most recent UConn teams have been missing.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, as most folks have noticed, the Pac 12 has changed quite a bit from 30 years ago. If I remember correctly, UCONN scored 56 points and shot 39% playing Oregon at Gampel this past season. And here are Massey's 2019-20 defensive ratings for 6 Pac12 schools: Arizona (9), Stanford (10), Oregon (11), Oregon State (13), Arizona State (16), and Colorado (36). UCONN is at #4, but with a weaker SOS than 3 of the above. I know it's Massey, but it does suggest that your assumptions about Carrington need to be adjusted.
I saw a significant number of PAC12 games this year as I ponied up the dough for the PAC12 Network and what I would say is besides Oregon, pretty much the rest of the conference was offensively challenged. I am on record as saying this conference does play good defense (and they do for the most part). However, I also completely agree with Scott Rueck that the league allows too much thuggery to go on-ASU, AZ, USC are by far the biggest offenders of physical play, restricting movement. On the offensive side, after Oregon #1, Stanford #33 has the most talent offensively but that was limited to Hull and Williams as the other players never found their consistent grove. Then UCLA #37 was 3rd with primarily Michaela Onyenwere then the Beavers #48 who lost Slocum and Pivec. This is not a great offensive conference so I wouldn''t get too carried away touting the defense. That said, PAC-12 is still, by far, the best WCBB Conference Top to Bottom.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I saw a significant number of PAC12 games this year as I ponied up the dough for the PAC12 Network and what I would say is besides Oregon, pretty much the rest of the conference was offensively challenged. I am on record as saying this conference does play good defense (and they do for the most part). However, I also completely agree with Scott Rueck that the league allows too much thuggery to go on-ASU, AZ, USC are by far the biggest offenders of physical play, restricting movement. On the offensive side, after Oregon #1, Stanford #33 has the most talent offensively but that was limited to Hull and Williams as the other players never found their consistent grove. Then UCLA #37 was 3rd with primarily Michaela Onyenwere then the Beavers #48 who lost Slocum and Pivec. This is not a great offensive conference so I wouldn''t get too carried away touting the defense. That said, PAC-12 is still, by far, the best WCBB Conference Top to Bottom.
Fair enough; it seems as if the conference has done a 180 re physical play from what it was many years ago.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Over physical defense, weak offenses. That seems to describe just about all WCBB conferences. Which conference does not suffer from those signatures except for a team or 2?

Reaction Score
Pete Maravich scored 3667 points in college which is the current record. What makes this remarkable is the rule changes since he played. At the time he played there was no 3 point shot, no shot clock and fewer games. And freshmen could not play varsity. Of course someone with his skills would not play three years today since they would go pro so I think his record is safe.

(edit) not sure how I put this in the wrong thread. Apologies to all.
Saw him play at the Civic Center against the Celts. I think he never got the proper credit for his ability as a ball handler. The big three at that time, Maravich, Mount and Murphy (Calvin). The problem with Pete's record is that his father, Press, was the coach at the time and the other players were ordered to feed him the ball no matter where he was on the court. I don't have a positive recollection of what his shooting percentage was but as I recall from some of the newpaper reports it was quite low.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
In this latest page of discussion I see the most persuasive arguments yet both for and against Harrington. My own bias is that, if the result in the tournament is the same, and good basketball is being played during the regular season, I rather see four year players being developed than transfers. However, I am fine with a transfer coming in if it makes a difference in the tournament. The only trouble is one cannot be sure when that makes a difference. In fact, I cannot now think of a year when we know a transfer made such a difference in our tournament results. Anyways, that is my bias, now for the logic of the situation.

GoCardinal brings up a compelling argument in favor. The one thing Carrington might bring that we have been lacking is emotional leadership. Her rebounding? Covered by multiple guards. Her slashing? Covered by multiple guards ... if it fits into the system. Emotional leadership? That has not been covered for awhile.

On the other hand, though oldhuskie was making an argument in favor of Carrington, he points out that "insurance" should not be a reason for bringing her in. She's more Stevens than Adebayo. She likely expects to be a major contributor wherever she goes and it would be a disservice to her to use her as insurance, regardless of how comforting that may be to the BY or coaching staff. Unless ... if her injury has lowered her expectation to be a major contributor, then she might be OK with a limited role.

Yet we know Williams, Westbrook, Makurat and Bueckers all have reasonable expectations to be major contributors. It could be that Muhl would be reasonable to expect to be a major contributor as well. With six players having those expectations, and two of them transfers, even with a three guard line-up that is a likely recipe for bad team chemistry.

No doubt being the emotional leader we have needed would more than compensate for that problem, but I would expect Bueckers to exert herself as the emotional leader as soon as possible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd like to know what an "emotional leader" is. Actually I know. It is someone who is a energy cheerleader on the court. Not to be confused with a team floor leader.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I'd like to know what an "emotional leader" is. Actually I know. It is someone who is a energy cheerleader on the court. Not to be confused with a team floor leader.
I agree with @RockyMTblue2 in that the type of leadership that is needed is what we got from Crystal last year. The calm head to slow things down and order players into the correct positions or when to speed things up to press the advantage. The 'coach on the floor' responsibilities will have to fall to CW and EW until Pige/Nika mature.

Reaction Score

To me, an emotional leader is someone that rallies the troops when things start unraveling on the floor. The type of player you can trust to not get rattled or shrink. A coach calling a timeout to light a fire under the group shouldn’t always happen. It seems as though Geno has had to be the one to fire the team up when everyone is struggling. As great as Collier and Samuelson were, there were times they looked rattled when things weren’t going their way. I’d argue Williams was somewhat the same when she moved into a larger role.

An emotional leader can simply be someone to celebrate after an and-1, or motion to the crowd to back to team up when they are done. Having someone to do that is valuable.

Aja Wilson, Marina Mabrey, Sophie Cunningham, Ruthy Hebard, Ayana Mitchell, Kathleen Doyle, Haley Gorecki, Anriel Howard, Mikiah Hebert Harrigan (and I’m sure there are many others) have all been “emotional leaders” for their teams at some point. Does that always translate to being the best player on the roster? No, but often times you’ll hear coaches say “the heart and soul” of the team; and that’s equally as important.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom