DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The primary need is finding post backup for Olivia. Someone who can spell her for 3 minutes 3 times a game without a significant drop off on the defensive end.

I don't think there will be an issue with subbing for Olivia. UConn will be able to handle most teams with her playing 25 MPG. For the toughest opponents she's likely to play 30+ out of necessity and UConn should be fine with smaller lineups composed of super athletic players (Edwards, Mclean, Griffin) for the few minutes she's out. The bigger concern would be if Olivia gets injured; that's where depth would be more impactful. But it would be nearly impossible to replace her in that case anyway.

Reaction Score
I agree with @RockyMTblue2 in that the type of leadership that is needed is what we got from Crystal last year. The calm head to slow things down and order players into the correct positions or when to speed things up to press the advantage. The 'coach on the floor' responsibilities will have to fall to CW and EW until Pige/Nika mature.

There’s a difference between a calming presence and an emotional leader. Those surrounding the Gamecocks this year would be first to admit that Herbert-Harrigan was the emotional leader, while Ty Harris was more of the calm and cool type.

Typically the calm types don’t show a lot of emotion, and are even-keeled no matter what’s happening. For some players, that works wonders. However, there are some players that get fired up seeing a teammate exhibit a certain level of feistiness/fieriness. It makes them want to go harder for that teammate because they see how hard said teammate is going behind them.

Two different styles of leadership, but both are effective and necessary. To an outsider, specifically more recently, there have been times where it seems Geno has shown more emotion during the course of a game than the actual players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Same goes for coaching styles. Say what you want about Mulkey, and maybe even Frese, but a lot of kids take on their feistiness and it shows. Muffet, Vic, and Dawn are also very emotional and their teams respond. I seem to remember the year Kentucky was struggling, Mitchell was on record saying he HAD to be that emotional leader because there wasn’t one on the roster.

Players always respond well when Tara shows a little emotion, because that isn’t something she typically does. But the team responds positively when it happens.

On the other hand, there are coaches that are typically calm no matter what. Rueck is someone that comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Yes, I did say talented, because that team had talent. Several of their players will be in the WNBA. It was a very poorly coached and underachieving team, but that doesn't wipe out the raw abilities of some of their players.

edit--if in your opinion there was no talent on that team, why did Geno take a transfer player from that squad?

I would say the question is whether a talented team is the same as a team with talent. Tenn was the later and not the former. There's no question that Carrington played tough opponents but Tenn wasn't one of them and was picked as one because Carrington had a great game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Same goes for coaching styles. Say what you want about Mulkey, and maybe even Frese, but a lot of kids take on their feistiness and it shows. Muffet, Vic, and Dawn are also very emotional and their teams respond. I seem to remember the year Kentucky was struggling, Mitchell was on record saying he HAD to be that emotional leader because there wasn’t one on the roster.

Players always respond well when Tara shows a little emotion, because that isn’t something she typically does. But the team responds positively when it happens.

On the other hand, there are coaches that are typically calm no matter what. Rueck is someone that comes to mind.
Frese is feisty? Who new that that signature lean against the scorers table with one hand is viewed by some as "Feisty"...
1588627914381.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would say the question is whether a talented team is the same as a team with talent. Tenn was the later and not the former. There's no question that Carrington played tough opponents but Tenn wasn't one of them and was picked as one because Carrington had a great game.

Okay, during that season she scored 30 against UCLA, 17 against Arizona St., 22 against Oregon in the Pac 12 Tourney final and 18 against Notre Dame in the Regional Final. Those were 4 quality teams, right? (2 Final 4 and 2 Sweet 16 teams). Stanford won all of those games except vs ND, so it's not like she was putting up good numbers in a losing effort. And she didn't do most of her scoring against bad teams and disappear against the better opponents on their schedule.

Reaction Score
Okay, during that season she scored 30 against UCLA, 17 against Arizona St., 22 against Oregon in the Pac 12 Tourney final and 18 against Notre Dame in the Regional Final. Those were 4 quality teams, right? (2 Final 4 and 2 Sweet 16 teams). Stanford won all of those games except vs ND, so it's not like she was putting up good numbers in a losing effort. And she didn't do most of her scoring against bad teams and disappear against the better opponents on their schedule.

I don't think anyone disagrees. I mean she was all conference so she must have played well. The only disagreement was over Tenn being a quality opponent. That just won't fly here.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The only disagreement was over Tenn being a quality opponent.

But I didn't call them a quality opponent. I said they had talent.

I know they aren't what they used to be, but any time a player goes into Thompson-Boling and has a game like she did, it's notable.

Reaction Score
“West coast experience?” Are you worried she’s going to show up 3 hours late for games?
What exactly is the difference between East coast experience and West coast experience?

Reaction Score
, but I would expect Bueckers to exert herself as the emotional leader as soon as possible.
[/QUOTE]

So do others. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
, but I would expect Bueckers to exert herself as the emotional leader as soon as possible.

So do others. ;)
[/QUOTE]
As soon as possible most assuredly. Difficult to do for any freshman, unless she’s named Maya. Even more difficult to do if there’s no summer sessions on campus.

Reaction Score
So the boneyard sez DC isn't gonna make her decision untill late summer....please..what is going to change between now and July or August?

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
So the boneyard sez DC isn't gonna make her decision untill late summer....please..what is going to change between now and July or August?

In the radio interview she did, DC said that she planned on enrolling for summer school, so I doubt it’ll be that long. She said that as soon as she felt 100% on the decision, she’d announce — might be tomorrow, might be in a few more weeks...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To me, an emotional leader is someone that rallies the troops when things start unraveling on the floor. The type of player you can trust to not get rattled or shrink. A coach calling a timeout to light a fire under the group shouldn’t always happen. It seems as though Geno has had to be the one to fire the team up when everyone is struggling. As great as Collier and Samuelson were, there were times they looked rattled when things weren’t going their way. I’d argue Williams was somewhat the same when she moved into a larger role.

An emotional leader can simply be someone to celebrate after an and-1, or motion to the crowd to back to team up when they are done. Having someone to do that is valuable.

Aja Wilson, Marina Mabrey, Sophie Cunningham, Ruthy Hebard, Ayana Mitchell, Kathleen Doyle, Haley Gorecki, Anriel Howard, Mikiah Hebert Harrigan (and I’m sure there are many others) have all been “emotional leaders” for their teams at some point. Does that always translate to being the best player on the roster? No, but often times you’ll hear coaches say “the heart and soul” of the team; and that’s equally as important.

As I was reading your comments, a player that immediately came to mind was Sebrina Ionescu. She was a leader the first day she set foot on campus. Her no-nonsense demeanor and her will to win was immediately observed and noted by her coaches and teammates. I remember her taking charge (her freshman year) in a brief huddle players take right after a whistle. SHE was talking and the other 4 were listening. :)

Reaction Score
DT is the ultimate leader and the rest are just trying to be like D.....

Reaction Score
As I was reading your comments, a player that immediately came to mind was Sebrina Ionescu. She was a leader the first day she set foot on campus. Her no-nonsense demeanor and her will to win was immediately observed and noted by her coaches and teammates. I remember her taking charge (her freshman year) in a brief huddle players take right after a whistle. SHE was talking and the other 4 were listening. :)

Oof, how could I forget Sabrina. But yes, that’s such an important skill.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with calling it cherry picking when you look at each player's last full season. I think you're wrong for example if you ever look at player's freshman year and try to draw a conclusion form those numbers when they are a senior.

As for CWill's stats just trying to draw a comparison between the two for their last full year which I think is the best way to compare. It's not cherry picking. It's using stats in a better way. CWill was an honorable mention A/A. Just trying to highlight Carrington's last full season - she wasn't a "bad" shooter. Alydar said she can't shoot. Well her last full season she did shoot decent enough.

Carrington is an ABYSMAL shooter, that is evidenced by the fact that she has shot over .300% from 3pt range just one year in her career!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We lack experience and we could use another big. Experience comes during this season. Geno knows what he wants and what he needs. Is Westbrook healthy? Is that why there is interest in Carrrington? Is there another reason? I expect CW and Liv to have great seasons this year. Anna will be much better as she showed alot of confidence late in the season. I also expect Griff to have a good outside shot. The big question is Westbrook healthy and can she play the minutes Megan had? If not they who? Could Carrington help while our incoming class develops? Alot of questions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carrington is an ABYSMAL shooter, that is evidenced by the fact that she has shot over .300% from 3pt range just one year in her career!
Abysmal in CAPS is pretty strong wording. But to get a true picture, we really have to look at Carrington’s 4 seasons at Stanford individually.

As a freshman, Carrington played mop-up minutes only, taking 21-3’s all season while making 5. As a sophomore, Carrington became a primary reserve for the Cardinal. She did start 7 games. Carrington took over 100-3’s and shot 28%, which is pretty average.

As a junior, Carrington started all 36 games for the Cardinal, improving her 3-pt shooting to 33% on 37/112 shots, while upping her rebounding totals to 7.5 per game. As a senior, Carrington played in only 5 games, took 7-3’s, making 2. It certainly would have been interesting to see what Carrington might have done had she been healthy for her entire senior season.

I would not call Carrington’s shooting “abysmal.” Like a lot of kids who get to college, they need to improve their shooting mechanics as well as learning to release their shot quicker with a defender’s hand in their face. It takes time. Think Megan Walker, who really improved her 3-pt shooting each and every year with UConn, or Mo who couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean when she got to UConn, but became a deadly 3-pt shooter by her senior season.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Whatever her ultimate decision, I hope DiJonai doesn't read the Boneyard. Surely she's never had so much crap talked about her in her entire life.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Abysmal in CAPS is pretty strong wording. But to get a true picture, we really have to look at Carrington’s 4 seasons at Stanford individually.

As a freshman, Carrington played mop-up minutes only, taking 21-3’s all season while making 5. As a junior, Carrington became a primary reserve for the Cardinal. She did start 7 games. Carrington took over 100-3’s and shot 28%, which is pretty average.

As a junior, Carrington started all 36 games for the Cardinal, improving her 3-pt shooting to 33% on 37/112 shots, while upping her rebounding totals to 7.5 per game. As a senior, Carrington played in only 5 games, took 7-3’s, making 2. It certainly would have been interesting to see what Carrington might have done had she been healthy for her entire senior season.

I would not call Carrington’s shooting “abysmal.” Like a lot of kids who get to college, they need to improve their shooting mechanics as well as learning to release their shot quicker with a defender’s hand in their face. It takes time. Think Megan Walker, who really improved her 3-pt shooting each and every year with UConn, or Mo who couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean when she got to UConn, but became a deadly 3-pt shooter by her senior season.
Junior season.;)

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Didn't CW shoot 33% from 3 last season and that with some help from playing in the AAC? Does that make her an abysmal shooter as well? Clearly, Carrington is not a "great" shooter; but she does know how to score because, among other things, she is a very good offensive rebounder--better imo than anyone currently on the UCONN roster and the kind of player who can really make a difference when shots aren't falling. And that is a major plus, not to mention really discouraging for teams, and the fans of teams, playing against her. (I know this from experience; I think Griffith has the potential to be that as well, but she's not there yet.) She also plays big in big games, something that was clearly a problem for MW last season, with CW not all that much better (good against Baylor but 2/9 against Oregon and 2/12 against South Carolina). Would she have made a difference in those games? Perhaps. And would she be a good fit at UCONN? That's Geno's call. But I don't think he'd be considering her if he didn't disagree with more than a few of the posts in this thread.

Reaction Score
Whatever her ultimate decision, I hope DiJonai doesn't read the Boneyard. Surely she's never had so much crap talked about her in her entire life.
She is just being vetted by the BY...as are all prospective recruits Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom