DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I still am astonished that this thread is now 12 pages long. We BYers must really have cabin fever...

Let me re-up my response to a similar kvetch earlier in this thread:
It's the offseason. We're bored. Many of us have been stuck at home for 6-8 weeks. A top Stanford player has announced her prospective transfer to UConn, Oregon, or Baylor, all recent or likely Final Four teams next year, so this has implications for half the top teams in the country. Unsurprisingly, this piques the interest of many of the fans on this board.

Nothing wrong with that. And no one is forcing you to read it.

Reaction Score
I just think back to Geno's comment about the same number of Waitresses at Duke as are at UCONN or something like that when we lost Brittany Hunter to Duke, prior to her coming to UCONN. I just would like to have a Stanford player come to UCONN so we can again prove what a quality education they offer.... Sorry for rambling. ;) Quarantine has given me a lot of free time...

Reaction Score
Abysmal in CAPS is pretty strong wording. But to get a true picture, we really have to look at Carrington’s 4 seasons at Stanford individually.

As a freshman, Carrington played mop-up minutes only, taking 21-3’s all season while making 5. As a sophomore, Carrington became a primary reserve for the Cardinal. She did start 7 games. Carrington took over 100-3’s and shot 28%, which is pretty average.

As a junior, Carrington started all 36 games for the Cardinal, improving her 3-pt shooting to 33% on 37/112 shots, while upping her rebounding totals to 7.5 per game. As a senior, Carrington played in only 5 games, took 7-3’s, making 2. It certainly would have been interesting to see what Carrington might have done had she been healthy for her entire senior season.

I would not call Carrington’s shooting “abysmal.” Like a lot of kids who get to college, they need to improve their shooting mechanics as well as learning to release their shot quicker with a defender’s hand in their face. It takes time. Think Megan Walker, who really improved her 3-pt shooting each and every year with UConn, or Mo who couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean when she got to UConn, but became a deadly 3-pt shooter by her senior season.

The trouble is that both Jefferson and Walker had years to work on developing an outside shot. Carrington has zero time to develop. Her future is now.
If her knees were healthy I'd be more in favor of her but from what I read she missed all but the 1st 5 games last season due to knee issue(s) and as far as we know has had nothing done to improve on those. She may, like Hunter and Camara, be unable to practice or play many minutes. UConn would be banking on some sort of natural healing that will allow her to practice & play next season.

Further, if she was so valuable then Tara would have found a way to keep her. Maybe she just couldn't get accepted to Stanford grad school?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The trouble is that both Jefferson and Walker had years to work on developing an outside shot. Carrington has zero time to develop. Her future is now.
If her knees were healthy I'd be more in favor of her but from what I read she missed all but the 1st 5 games last season due to knee issue(s) and as far as we know has had nothing done to improve on those. She may, like Hunter and Camara, be unable to practice or play many minutes. UConn would be banking on some sort of natural healing that will allow her to practice & play next season.

Further, if she was so valuable then Tara would have found a way to keep her. Maybe she just couldn't get accepted to Stanford grad school?
These are all interesting questions. Here are the things I know about Carrington. I watched her play a terrific game against UConn as a sophomore where she shot the ball well from inside and outside 8/15 (3/8) while pulling down 7 rebounds. She had an excellent junior season earning All-Pac 12 honors. She was hurt and played very little this past season. Geno has offered her a scholarship to be a GT at UConn. That’s good enough for me.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Whatever her ultimate decision, I hope DiJonai doesn't read the Boneyard. Surely she's never had so much crap talked about her in her entire life.
Funny enough, I didn't know what you were talking about at first, and then I unignored some regular BY posters who I've muted because they are generally pretty negative and talk a lot of crap, in general. Looks like it's those same folks. So at least it's nothing personal to Carrington. ;) That said, she sure got treated a lot better by Stanford fans on our board than it seems she can expect to be treated by some vocal BYers...

Reaction Score

Or maybe.....just maybe......DiJonai was ready to move on. If you genuinely do not believe Carrington was “so valuable” to the team, then I’m not sure you watched many Stanford games.

As it’s been mentioned countless times in this thread alone, there just wasn’t an available scholarship for her to return on until recently. All season it’s been a pretty known fact that there just weren’t enough scholarships to go around, because Carrington wasn’t the only player looking for another year of eligibility. However, once that extra scholarship opened, I’m sure Tara made the offer. Regardless, whether DiJonai made the decision to transfer during or immediately after the season ended, there wasn’t an extra scholarship at the time.

Additionally, DiJonai has already completed two degrees during her time at Stanford. She might just feel there’s nothing else academically to be done there. Also, the only thing she hasn’t won at Stanford is a national championship. If there’s a season, Stanford would definitely be a contender. However, she’s said she wants to be a major or immediate contributor wherever she goes. Maybe she just wants a new challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether Tara

Or maybe.....just maybe......DiJonai was ready to move on. If you genuinely believe Carrington was “so valuable” to the team, then I’m not sure you watched many Stanford games.

I watched enough. But it was 2 seasons ago.
I was reacting to a post by a tree fan who said there was one opening for a 5th year player and 2 players. Carrington lost out. Now that may not be what happened but a fan reported it as a numbers game.

Reaction Score
On a totally different subject, how is Haley Jones' recovery doing? Or does Stanford keep radio silence on that? I very much hope she's doing AOK and look forward to her return.

I just spoke with Haley’s grandfather who occasionally walks by on our street. He and Haley‘s parents live side by side two blocks from us. He said she should be ready to play whenever basketball starts again.

Reaction Score
I watched enough. But it was 2 seasons ago.
I was reacting to a post by a tree fan who said there was one opening for a 5th year player and 2 players. Carrington lost out. Now that may not be what happened but a fan reported it as a numbers game.

It wasn’t a matter of Tara choosing one over the other, or anyone “losing” out. Anna Wilson was the other player that applied for an additional year. Wilson applied for the 5th year before Carrington was even out for the year. There was also a glimmer of hope that Carrington would return for the year at some point. It just didn’t play out that way.

It also seems as if Wilson isn’t coming back either, according to the ESPN article that was posted on her. She’s had concussions and other issues stemming from them.

Reaction Score
If her knees were healthy I'd be more in favor of her but from what I read she missed all but the 1st 5 games last season due to knee issue(s) and as far as we know has had nothing done to improve on those. She may, like Hunter and Camara, be unable to practice or play many minutes. Carrington has zero time to develop. Her future is now.

"Carrington has zero time to develop. Her future is now."

Well I am glad her future is now because we really only need her for this year. Which is the whole reason we are interested in her in the first place.

"I'd be more in favor of her..."

Well no offense but it doesn't matter if you are in favor of her. Geno seems to be. And what are you more in favor of? At this point it is a choice between Carrington and who? There are no mythical impactful 6'4 post players on the transfer market. You either want 10 players on next years team or you want 11. That's the choice.

"UConn would be banking on some sort of natural healing that will allow her to practice & play next season. "

Not sure how you know this. BTW Hunter and Camara are both great people and teammates who may not have been able to contribute much but it doesn't mean they didn't add anything to the team. If Carrington is not the same player than so what? Maybe she is a good teammate and can help mentor the younger players. Maybe she can play in the 4TH QTR when we are up 30 and let the starters rest. Maybe she can do even more. Who knows. Low risk high reward.

" Further, if she was so valuable then Tara would have found a way to keep her. Maybe she just couldn't get accepted to Stanford grad school?"

So now we are just throwing out ad hominems towards a young women whose crime is that Geno is apparently interested in adding her to next years team? Maybe Ms. Carrington wants to win a National Title? You know something Stanford hasn't done since Bush SR. was POTUS. Ya ever think about that? Nah.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
It also seems as if Wilson isn’t coming back either, according to the ESPN article that was posted on her. She’s had concussions and other issues stemming from them.
Uh, Carrington's twitter feed suggests otherwise, since she retweeted this last week:

Reaction Score
Uh, Carrington's twitter feed suggests otherwise, since she retweeted this last week:

Good catch! I haven’t been on twitter for a few weeks, so missed this. I am somewhat surprised she decided to come back. I remember a month ago she was leaning towards not returning.

Reaction Score
Whatever her ultimate decision, I hope DiJonai doesn't read the Boneyard. Surely she's never had so much crap talked about her in her entire life.

Why is giving an honest evaluation on a player considered "talking crap"? Enough with this everybody is wonderful BS! She is a good player no doubt, but has major questions regarding her health and major holes in her game.

Reaction Score
"Carrington has zero time to develop. Her future is now."

Well I am glad her future is now because we really only need her for this year. Which is the whole reason we are interested in her in the first place.

"I'd be more in favor of her..."

Well no offense but it doesn't matter if you are in favor of her. Geno seems to be. And what are you more in favor of? At this point it is a choice between Carrington and who? There are no mythical impactful 6'4 post players on the transfer market. You either want 10 players on next years team or you want 11. That's the choice.

"UConn would be banking on some sort of natural healing that will allow her to practice & play next season. "

Not sure how you know this. BTW Hunter and Camara are both great people and teammates who may not have been able to contribute much but it doesn't mean they didn't add anything to the team. If Carrington is not the same player than so what? Maybe she is a good teammate and can help mentor the younger players. Maybe she can play in the 4TH QTR when we are up 30 and let the starters rest. Maybe she can do even more. Who knows. Low risk high reward.

" Further, if she was so valuable then Tara would have found a way to keep her. Maybe she just couldn't get accepted to Stanford grad school?"

So now we are just throwing out ad hominems towards a young women whose crime is that Geno is apparently interested in adding her to next years team? Maybe Ms. Carrington wants to win a National Title? You know something Stanford hasn't done since Bush SR. was POTUS. Ya ever think about that? Nah.

Hey, Never once have I suggested that Geno or anyone else act on my speculation. Nobody here has stated any knowledge of Lister's leaving or the current status of Carrington's knee(s). No one. So it's all speculation, mine and everyone else's. It's all we have to do.
As far as Hunter, she was he best post on the team when she was there, it's just that she couldn't play more than 10-15 mins/game. Camara was never in the same class. Am I being disrespectful saying that?
And you are right, we don't know what goes on behind our view. None of us.
I never said Carrington couldn't help but I do say that she sees UConn as a master's program in basketball and a way to polish her resume.
My comment about Stanford grad school was a "maybe" speculation. After years of hearing from tree fans about how tough it is for an athlete to just get into their undergrad program I would expect i would be much harder to get into their grad school. We have been told that athletes get no preference being accepted. Is it an ad hominem attack that anyone might have trouble getting accepted into Stanford's grad school? It would seem to me to be a legit reason for her to leave Stanford.

I hope she makes up her mind soon. My questioning of Carrington's potential contribution at UConn was 90% the result of reading a bunch of posts that see it as a win/win, the usual over exuberance when a quality player is associated with UConn. I really have no opinion about her coming to UConn, I was just providing what I thought was some balance to a one-sided discussion. My reservations are valid IMO but just reservations. I've stated in prior posts that she must be a fine player to make all-PAC12. But not all fine players are a fit at UConn especially when they must blend and contribute from day one. If she picks UConn I certainly won't come on here and dis the decision.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just spoke with Haley’s grandfather who occasionally walks by on our street. He and Haley‘s parents live side by side two blocks from us. He said she should be ready to play whenever basketball starts again.

Hey, that's great to hear. Thanks for letting us know...appreciate it! All the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why is giving an honest evaluation on a player considered "talking crap"?
:eek:Because you are doing it on the BY. Talking crap is what we do here, don't underestimate yourself. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why is giving an honest evaluation on a player considered "talking crap"? Enough with this everybody is wonderful BS! She is a good player no doubt, but has major questions regarding her health and major holes in her game.
Wow, how fortunate for Geno and his coaching staff that you're available to keep them from making a huge mistake in recruiting Carrington. Can you be there tomorrow? :D

Reaction Score
It seems to me that when there is honest disagreement over the pros and cons of adding a potential player is when the most posters are upset at those posting the opposite of point of view. If you are in the get DJC camp everyone pointing out the potential downside is hurting the recruiting effort of adding a valuable piece, and if you are on the other side you feel compelled to counter the pro arguments to prevent what you think could be a big mistake.

Can the Boneyard affect recruiting decisions by prospects? Probably, and sometimes that may help or hurt. But from the prospects standpoint, it probably helps her make the best decision for her, to the extent there may be factors or consequences she had not previously considered sufficiently.

Regardless I am sure that the vast majority of dissenting posters would be rooting for her and hoping they are wrong, if she decided to come to Uconn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It seems to me that when there is honest disagreement over the pros and cons of adding a potential player is when the most posters are upset at those posting the opposite of point of view. If you are in the get DJC camp everyone pointing out the potential downside is hurting the recruiting effort of adding a valuable piece, and if you are on the other side you feel compelled to counter the pro arguments to prevent what you think could be a big mistake.

Can the Boneyard affect recruiting decisions by prospects? Probably, and sometimes that may help or hurt. But from the prospects standpoint, it probably helps her make the best decision for her, to the extent there may be factors or consequences she had not previously considered sufficiently.

Regardless I am sure that the vast majority of dissenting posters would be rooting for her and hoping they are wrong, if she decided to come to Uconn.
If BY BS ever effects (positively or negatively) UCONN WBB recruiting God help us all, because surely Geno tenure has ended or is about to.

"Some of our fans are so god— stupid it’s unbelievable."
Geno Auriemma

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When was it announced that Jasmine is no longer on the UConn staff. The last I saw was Geno talking to Lobo a couple of weeks ago and he just basically stated that the situation was up in the air.

I should have phrased that comment: "since she is no longer active". The fact that she was no longer active (and to my understanding, is no longer on campus) gave birth to my question of who was minding the store with respect to keeping in touch with our potential recruits. You focused on that instead of my query. Yes, she had not officially resigned at that time, but she was no longer engaged in any coaching/recruiting functions. As you know, she resigned on May 5. Technically we were both correct. I forgot for a moment how "technically correct" we must always be when we post comments here in the yard.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I should have phrased that comment as she is no longer "active". The fact that she was no longer active (and was no longer on campus) gave birth to my question of who was minding the store with respect to keeping in touch with our potential recruits. Yes, she had not officially resigned at that time, but she was no longer engaged in any coaching/recruiting functions. As you know, she resigned on May 5. Technically we were both correct.
That's a stretch of the word "Technically" about 7 days worth. ;) We knew that something was wrong with the Jaz situation and something was going to happen, (STAY or GO), sooner or later, but 7 days. In the words of a great philosopher form ESPN Come-on Man. :rolleyes::rolleyes: But who am I to question the great Carnac and his abilities, he was always right when I watched Johnny Carson on the The Tonight Show. I know that he has grown so much wiser in his abilities being that he is above us watching all. His seeing and knowing all should be able to foresee situations more than 7 days out, with that said I yield to the great Carnac. ;) ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's a stretch of the word "Technically" about 7 days worth. ;) We knew that something was wrong with the Jaz situation and something was going to happen, (STAY or GO), sooner or later, but 7 days. In the words of a great philosopher form ESPN Come-on Man. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you chose to focus on this instead of my question of who was working the recruiting desk. I'm not a technical person. I don't hold posters to that level of scrutiny when reading their posts. I concentrate on the substance of the comment. You never responded to the question which was not as important to you as my saying she was no longer with the team, which she wasn't. My understanding is she left the team in January, This is May. You're talking semantics here. Is this really necessary? In the words of another noted philosopher Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, how fortunate for Geno and his coaching staff that you're available to keep them from making a huge mistake in recruiting Carrington. Can you be there tomorrow? :D

That works both ways. Thank heaven that there are so many astute evaluators here that have an intimate knowledge of Carrington's game, personality and character that the UConn staff lacks and are able to be absolutely convinced that Carrington will be nothing but a healthy and positive influence on the 20/21 Huskies.

The fair comment would be that no one here is that knowledgeable and whether we see glass half full or glass half empty we are all speculating with little to go on. There is no need for one side to claim superiority of knowledge. I think maybe you should call him and share your thoughts with him. I'm sure he must be waiting for your call. :D

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, you chose to focus on this instead of my question of who was working the recruiting desk. I'm not a technical person. I don't hold posters to that level of scrutiny when reading their posts. I concentrate on the substance of the comment. You never responded to the question which was not as important to you as my saying she was no longer with the team, which she wasn't. My understanding is she left the team in February, This is May. You're talking semantics here. Is this really necessary? In the words of another noted philosopher Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?' :rolleyes:
Most coaching staffs split the majority of the recruiting responsibilities among all the assistants. When one coach leaves, the others absorb that coach's recruits until the vacancy is filled. Many schools also have a position designated as recruiting coordinator. So there's always plenty of coverage on the job. Some schools assign coaches areas of the country, others possibly by degree of importance based on the coach's level of success or expertise. Summer camps and tournaments are usually a group effort unless there's overlap, then they split up for coverage. The head coach obviously can just jump in wherever he/she feels necessary and acts as the closer on official visits, home visits, and when the staff thinks a kid is close to decision time.

Reaction Score

Did I ever say I didn't want her at UConn? No! Did I ever say Coach Auriemma was making a mistake in recruiting her? No!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom