DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

Reaction Score
There are a lot of variables involved for her so it will be interesting to see her decision. If she is looking to a communications career because her body won't last so UConn could be good because of proximity. Maybe she wants to expand her motion offense skills to prepare for WNBA so again UConn. Maybe her body can't take starter minutes but wants a good team to maybe get a NC as a leader so UConn.. Now if she wants to start, play lots of minutes and be a focal point then no UConn. Stay close to home, no UConn.

We just don't know where her head is....

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
UCONN players, whether they're freshmen or transfers, usually take a full year to learn the system. It seems unique to UCONN...not sure if it's because Geno is more of a stickler than others or if the system is that much more complex, but regardless, that seems to be the norm in Storrs.

Taking a grad transfer for 1 year has pros and cons. The pro is obviously that she is talented and could help make the Huskies title favorites. The con is that she takes up minutes that could go to younger players which halts development or leads to unhappy players. She also may not love her role with the Huskies, as she likely wont have the same freedom to attack off the bounce and doesnt project to be a top producer. Time will tell, but I dont necessarily see her being a slam dunk get for UCONN if she does choose the Huskies.
I think the belief that it takes a year to play at UConn is being put out to pasture. The players coming in now are more experienced than just a few years ago and with better coaching. Look at the freshmen of recent history that have contributed from first month; Kia, KLS, CW, Anna and even Aubrey (though she did look lost quite a bit :confused:). It is my belief, this coming year we will see 3 of these freshmen make a significant contribution by January.

Reaction Score
I agree with on not having Lister we miss youthful spirit in the recruiting trail and we have 33
I agree with you we miss Jasmine youthful spirit recruiting and it nice we have chance for this Stamford Grad and we need her leadership skills plus she will play as Geno likes her!

Has anything re the Jasmine situation come out? I don't recall seeing or hearing anything. Just curious.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We don't know where her knee is either. She had surgery on both her left and right ACLs in high school. As a junior she had a knee injury, very hazy as to what it was, was cleared and after 5 games did not return. She was one of two red shirt seniors who wanted to return this coming fall, but only 1 scholarship was available and Anna Wilson got it as first applicant.

Here is a more extended look at DiJonai:

PS. Her older brother was a tight end at Oregon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think the belief that it takes a year to play at UConn is being put out to pasture. The players coming in now are more experienced than just a few years ago and with better coaching. Look at the freshmen of recent history that have contributed from first month; Kia, KLS, CW, Anna and even Aubrey (though she did look lost quite a bit :confused:). It is my belief, this coming year we will see 3 of these freshmen make a significant contribution by January.
I probably didnt word that well, but it usually takes players a year to adjust/fully learn and then in their 2nd year they start to break out and play at a higher level. We've seen it countless times where players blossom in their 2nd year after playing in more of a supporting role their first. DJC will definitely be a big contributor if she is healthy and picks UCONN, but for reasons I outlined earlier, I'm not convinced it will ultimately be a net positive for the Huskies.

Reaction Score

"Landing Stanford grad transfer DiJonai Carrington would make Oregon immediate title contenders"

NBC Sports Northwest and Ms Ashley Young are delusional

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
She was one of two red shirt seniors who wanted to return this coming fall, but only 1 scholarship was available and Anna Wilson got it as first applicant.
This was true until Estella Moschkau announced she was graduating early and grad transferring to Wisconsin. When that happened, in theory there was a second scholly open for Carrington, but she chose to leave anyway. She had seemed settled on that even before Moschkau's announcement, however, so it's possible once the horse left the barn it was too late to close the doors.

Some Stanford fans are speculating as to whether she sat our her senior season on purpose to preserve a grad transfer year, because that was more or less what happened with Marta Sniezek, whose thumb injury always seemed sketchy and who was immediately ready to play starter minutes at ND as soon as she transferred with little sign of lasting injury. So it's possible Carrington's knee was fine for at least the latter part of last season, and she simply decided she wanted to preserve eligibility. It's notabel that she stopped playing 1 game short of risking losing eligibility (she played in 5 games), and the coaches were VERY touchy when asked about her injury status all season.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of variables involved for her so it will be interesting to see her decision. If she is looking to a communications career because her body won't last so UConn could be good because of proximity. Maybe she wants to expand her motion offense skills to prepare for WNBA so again UConn. Maybe her body can't take starter minutes but wants a good team to maybe get a NC as a leader so UConn.. Now if she wants to start, play lots of minutes and be a focal point then no UConn. Stay close to home, no UConn.

We just don't know where her head is....

My first thought too, was that Uconn might be a good fit if the graduate program she is looking for is Communications. Similar to how Natalie Butler chose GW mainly because they offered the grad degree she was looking for. I have no idea what grad degree DiJonai is seeking, but her undergrad programs were Psychology and African American studies.

Also, Uconn will be young next year with no senIors with Uconn game playing experience. DiJonai is obviously very intelligent, and her maturity could be a definite asset to Geno. However, Oregon is much closer to home, and her brother played football for the Ducks. Personally, I would love to see her in a Uconn uniform. A 6’ guard who can rebound would bring added depth. I hope that DiJonai’s knee has healed nicely so that she can play wherever she ends up.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I probably didnt word that well, but it usually takes players a year to adjust/fully learn and then in their 2nd year they start to break out and play at a higher level. We've seen it countless times where players blossom in their 2nd year after playing in more of a supporting role their first. DJC will definitely be a big contributor if she is healthy and picks UCONN, but for reasons I outlined earlier, I'm not convinced it will ultimately be a net positive for the Huskies.
Yeah. The celebrated sophomore (sometimes junior) bump. We've had less then stellar performances from our first year transfers. It seems like most of them can't stay healthy. I believe Evina's first year playing will be great but she is an exception because she got to be in a year's worth of practices and should have an intellectual understanding of what's going on. I think that should translate to an accelerated experience level.

My concern is that DJC, or any grad transfer, will take minutes and coaching focus that would go to develop our very very young team. First time I can remember having no Seniors athletically.

Reaction Score
She would benefit from going through the UConn system. Pro coaches really like to get players who have done so. She will get more TV exposure at UConn than at Oregon or Baylor.

If she has not fully recovered or might be prone to further injury, it might be best for her to be on a team that does not need her to play a lot of minutes- while benefitting from her experience.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This was true until Estella Moschkau announced she was graduating early and grad transferring to Wisconsin. When that happened, in theory there was a second scholly open for Carrington, but she chose to leave anyway. She had seemed settled on that even before Moschkau's announcement, however, so it's possible once the horse left the barn it was too late to close the doors.

Some Stanford fans are speculating as to whether she sat our her senior season on purpose to preserve a grad transfer year, because that was more or less what happened with Marta Sniezek, whose thumb injury always seemed sketchy and who was immediately ready to play starter minutes at ND as soon as she transferred with little sign of lasting injury. So it's possible Carrington's knee was fine for at least the latter part of last season, and she simply decided she wanted to preserve eligibility. It's notabel that she stopped playing 1 game short of risking losing eligibility (she played in 5 games), and the coaches were VERY touchy when asked about her injury status all season.

I was interested in your takes on this situation. A couple of things come to mind:
- Senior seasons on The Farm can get funky, not just with Ms. Carrington and Sniezek, but I remember that Lili Thomson also chose not to play her senior year, although she was allowed to finish out her degree. She then, of course, then grad transferred to ND.
- Carrington's tough. She and Kiana Williams were giving the Irish fits (33-26 lead at halftime) in the NCAA Elite Eight game in Chicago. That slash and take it to the hoop style was hurting the Irish big time. (If I recall, the ND zone only tightend up when frosh Abby Prohaska came in. Not only did she play tough D, she also nailed a 3. Of course, Jackie Young got hot, too.)
- On one hand, it could look like Carrington is trying to either play for a championship and/or polish things up before the WNBA draft. However, I'd think that Stanford would have just as strong a chance at making it's way to the Final 4 as any of the other teams: Oregon loses its big 3; UConn is young; and Baylor loses some key players, most notably Lauren Cox.

Plus, as far as the resume shiner: Geno, Kim and Kelly all have delivered multiple draft picks as of late, but last time I checked, Tara does a pretty good job with player development. I'm still scratching my head....

On a totally different subject, how is Haley Jones' recovery doing? Or does Stanford keep radio silence on that? I very much hope she's doing AOK and look forward to her return.

Reaction Score
Again, and it's just me. I would prefer to give a scholarship to a player who I have studied for the past few years and feel comfortable with. I have a good sense of their health, what they will be able to contribute and know that the odds are they will be with me for the entire four years. With the graduate student you are just beginning to get used to them and they are just starting to adjust and, poof, the season and their career at Uconn is over.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
On a totally different subject, how is Haley Jones' recovery doing? Or does Stanford keep radio silence on that? I very much hope she's doing AOK and look forward to her return.
You are correct - radio silence on that too. At one point late in the regular season Tara mentioned she was still hoping to have Carrington and Jones both back for the NCAAs, which we took to think Jones's injury was not so serious as to require surgery. However, coaches have never provided a clear answer, and Jones's twitter feed has never addressed it at all. But yes, we are very hopeful she will be back to her old form come November -- especially now that Carrington is leaving, Jones will be our primary SG interior slashing threat.

Reaction Score
I would love to have DiJonai wearing national flag blue and white next year. She's already accustomed to being in and producing at a championship level program with a HoF coach. I think adding her makes this team better, helps win more games, and improve their championship chances. I love her ability and willingness to go grab rebounds, specifically on the offensive end. She'd provide Geno with a guard that knows how to and wants to run in transition, something that was largely missing on last year's team.

Reaction Score
:
[/QUOTE]
Her brother Darren left Oregon to play at Utah

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She missed the last 25 games last year with an injury. She red shirted but we do not have empirical evidence of durability. We can take a fling, but that is what it is, xrays and MRIs to the contrary notwithstanding.

Carl Adamec is out with an article and he's ahead of me. I thought she had 3 surgeries, but Carl reports it is 5 knee surgeries. UConn's Auriemma eyes Stanford transfer Carrington

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
After seeing both Z and Westbrook land at UConn, I wouldn’t be shocked to see DJC pick UConn. At least at UConn she could come off the bench and still go in the 1st round of the WNBA draft.
I was wondering about the something similar. If she has any aspirations to get to the WNBA, then UConn would be the obvious pick.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
:
Her brother Darren left Oregon to play at Utah
[/QUOTE]
Yes, as she shows in her video. My point: there is a close family connection to Oregon and had Utah been on her list I would have mentioned it.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was wondering about the something similar. If she has any aspirations to get to the WNBA, then UConn would be the obvious pick.
That was also said about Horston but to no avail.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
For those who are curious, Carrington was just interviewed by John Canzano, who posted the interview on soundcloud:

She discusses a bit about her thoughts on transferring and rehabilitating from injury, among other things.

Reaction Score

"Landing Stanford grad transfer DiJonai Carrington would make Oregon immediate title contenders"

NBC Sports Northwest and Ms Ashley Young are delusional

I’m sorry. Did I miss something about Carrington?! I never heard of her until today. Now she’s boosting programs for national contention <scratching head>

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I’m sorry. Did I miss something about Carrington?! I never heard of her until today. Now she’s boosting programs for national contention <scratching head>

Apparently you missed the 2018-19 season? Averaged 14.0 ppg and 7.5 rpg as a Jr. on a team that made it to the Elite 8.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom