Differences between South Carolina and Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Differences between South Carolina and Uconn

Reaction Score
the thing I don't understand is ppl keep mentioning the depth of the bench, there can only be 5 players on the court. So either 2 scenarios are going to happen.
They are going to put 4 guards and 1 big (not the best option imo) or they are going to put 3 guards and 2 bigs. So when people say Uconn has: Westbrook, Williams, Ducharme, Fudd, Bueckers. That means 2 of those players are going to be on the bench, it's not who has the most talented players, it's who can you put on the floor your best 5 against Sc's best 5 for numerous stretches.

Reaction Score
In a SC/UConn matchup the biggest variable will be the officiating. How the officials (please no Dee Kantner) call the game in the paint will be a determining factor. If Boston/SC is allowed to move defenders through/with contact then UConn will be at a disadvantage. If on the the other hand the game is called where contact initiated by the offensive player is called then UConn gains an advantage.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConns help defense is why they are smothering opponents. Another point with their height up top and down low they have become a better rebounding and defensive team. UConn has held opponents to under 40 pts in their last 4 games and under 40pts in their last 5 of 6 games. Now I dont care who your playing thats great. How many other top ranked teams have come close to that. Another point. UConn is winning with a balanced offense which is now 9 deep and UConns execution on offense is a passing clinic and on defense is smothering. UConn has been up 50 pts in many of those wins. Do you think that SC is 40 pts better? Hey SC is very good but against this UConn team which is not the same team they faced early in the season I dont think SC wins. In fact it would take a complete collapse for UConn to loose any game the rest of the season. UConn has to many weapons and foul trouble with 9 deep is not the biggest concern.

Reaction Score
UConns help defense is why they are smothering opponents. Another point with their height up top and down low they have become a better rebounding and defensive team. UConn has held opponents to under 40 pts in their last 4 games and under 40pts in their last 5 of 6 games. Now I dont care who your playing thats great. How many other top ranked teams have come close to that. Another point. UConn is winning with a balanced offense which is now 9 deep and UConns execution on offense is a passing clinic and on defense is smothering. UConn has been up 50 pts in many of those wins. Do you think that SC is 40 pts better? Hey SC is very good but against this UConn team which is not the same team they faced early in the season I dont think SC wins. In fact it would take a complete collapse for UConn to loose any game the rest of the season. UConn has to many weapons and foul trouble with 9 deep is not the biggest concern.
again the teams they are playing are from the Big East. SC has played hard Sec teams, played Stanford/Ncst/ you name it. This is where stats can be misleading, obviously Uconn can only play who is in front of them, but this lineup "that is not the same as last meeting vs SC" has yet to play a ranked team. How do I know they would do this vs a Stanford or Nc st? Again in the tournament that's where we will find out how good this "new team" is.

Reaction Score
I hope we get to see a rematch with SC but as others have pointed out there's a whole lot of basketball to be played before that can happen.............if UConn is shooting well from three in the hopeful rematch the odds are they win........if they shoot poorly from the outside the odds are SC wins......it's as simple as that........

Reaction Score
Still think SC is the better overall team. I think UCONN is improved but some of these latest wins are against subpar opponents.

Reaction Score
Just here to read the comments....
Interest Reaction GIF

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Still think SC is the better overall team. I think UCONN is improved but some of these latest wins are against subpar opponents.
Nice opinion. Which of the all powerful SEC really scare you?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Double-teaming Boston and boxing her and SC out is the key. SC kills you on offensive rebounds. I’m hoping it’s a tightly called game and the refs aren’t afraid to call Boston for over the back fouls.
Boston is a good defender too especially if she can get set on defense. UConn bigs (Liv, I’m talking to you) need to put up a shot quickly before she can prepare to defend, you’ll get fouled most likely.
Christyn had one of her best offensive games yesterday. Love it, she wants a championship this year.
Keep healing Caroline! Would love to see her roaming around inside more, with her height and around the basket mobility, I think she can cause havoc. She’ll get her outside shot back, if not, Paige and Azzi (and Christyn and Evina, heck, maybe Nika will score a couple of baskets) will snipe away.
So, smother Boston, grab those rebounds, and fire away!
A key the officials need to stop protecting Boston.

Reaction Score
SC is a very good team, but in some ways I am surprised that by many measures offensively they are not as good as you might expect for a top ranked team. When they have inside weapons like Boston that simply overpower most opponents, you would think that efficiency inside, not just from Boston but from Cardosa and other s, would elevate SC to an elite offensive team.

But other than point blank scoring and offensive rebounding their offensive is far from impressive. They are a below average FT shooting team for example, and closer to average from the 3pt line. When we suffered multiple injuries and had just ok 3pt shooters, but did not have our most dangerous ones available, our offense suffered on many levels. Not much room to penetrate, and hard to get the ball inside.

Boston and Cardosa in particular have been amazing inside when you consider that defenses are packing things in because of SC's mediocre outside shooting. Their bigs are better than our bigs. With Paige and Azzi now (also Caroline) we can pretty much make teams pay for not extending their defense, and I suspect against SC we would be perimeter oriented, the trick is trying to make SC beat us from there.

So far even very good teams have had trouble taking away most of SC's inside game. They double team, and sometimes put a similar size C against Boston, and they can make it tougher for her, but she still manages to have a significant impact even when defenses are geared to stopping her, and even against other top flight C's. Some of that is getting offensive rebounds even if you can't get the ball directly.

I think the game-plan defensively against SC is pretty well known, but forcing them to beat you from the outside is easier said than done. It's a difficult choice but I think I would double Boston and Cardosa off anyone except for Henderson, and maybe her too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has a kid name Paige who won every awards in her freshman year. If she is healthy this year, she will be a stud on the boards.

And she is improving her injury everyday now.
There is a path for Connecticut to beat South Carolina, it’s incredible talent and good coaching notwithstanding, but it isn’t relying on Paige to out rebound South Carolina’s front court.

Reaction Score
There is a path for Connecticut to beat South Carolina, it’s incredible talent and good coaching notwithstanding, but it isn’t relying on Paige to out rebound South Carolina’s front court.
If UConn is as good as Missouri we can beat South Carolina.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
all those players played in the 1st meeting Sc, you know the one where SC held Uconn to 7 pt in the 4th?
the story, thus far.
fg%:
UConn 49%
angry birds 44%

3 ball %:
UConn 34%
angry birds 31%

and these include our long stretch of shooting on crutches, and from the hospital bed or couch. nobody can hit a shot from a lawnchair, not even us.
game-over-typography-pic-2048x1152.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If UConn is as good as Missouri they can beat South Carolina.
Yeah, I don’t know if it’s quite that simple.

Connecticut and South Carolina are, and someways, polar opposites of each other. So you have two great teams and two great coaches each attempting to impose their will as to style of play on the other. It will be a fascinating chess match.

As always though…

200.gif

Reaction Score
I actually think the key is to stop Destiny H. If she can have subpar game, I think we have a shot. Boston will get hers no doubt just can't have her go off and Cooke is on on and off, but Destiny's defense and quickness is a problem.

Reaction Score
I have great respect for SC's defense, but I don't think they've have seen another team with this kind of outside firepower running on all cylinders this season........It's going to be a battle........... if SC overplays Bueckers, CW, Fudd, Westbrook or Ducharme you know they can dribble drive, take the midrange jumper or draw out Boston and the other bigs leaving ONO, Edwards and Dorka free inside.......of course I want UConn driving on Boston and friends all night long to get them into foul trouble no matter how many shots they block..........it's certainly not going to be easy but of all the teams that could challenge South Carolina, I'd say UConn has the best likelihood of beating them if they are on their game......

Reaction Score
UConn has a kid name Paige who won every awards in her freshman year. If she is healthy this year, she will be a stud on the boards.

And she is improving her injury everyday now.
Yep, I’m well aware of that.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
In looking at South Carolina's season, two things jump out at me:

1) Boston is INCREDIBLY consistent. Since the beginning of December, between 11 and 21 points every game; between 10 and 17 rebounds every game, between 0 and 3 turnovers every game. Blocks do vary quite a bit, none in a couple of games and up to 7.

2) The difference between their squeakers and cake walks really seems to be guard play.

I really think that the key to defeating them is neutralizing the guards.

Reaction Score
We have changed since the first meeting. Azzi, Caroline and Dorka have been acclaimated to UConn's offensive and defensive schemes. We have the size to compete with them and Yes we are definitly better 3 point shooters. SC like to pack it in have you beat them with outside shooting. We will do that and run the break on them. Our defense is better as well. UConn by 10 points.
SC doesn’t pack it in. They play a very tight man-to-man defense. If you have 3 pt. shooters they will come out. A good example is Arkansas. UConn does have better shooters and it would be a challenge. The fun thing about that matchup if it does occur is your strength is your guards, SC strength is it’s bigs.

Reaction Score
Personally I think one key to a match up between UConn and S.C. (Should it occur) Is Edwards vs Boston, 2 Strong, physical players. If Aaliyah, who has shown a consistent improvement the las 5-6 game, can hold her own against Boston, at least make things difficult for her, the rest of the team should be able to handle the rest.
Edwards has improved offensively, especially when being fed the ball in & around the key. However, her weak point is committing fouls & put on the bench shelve. I'm sure the foul acting classes are in full session for the tournaments !

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44