Differences between South Carolina and Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Differences between South Carolina and Uconn

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A key the officials need to stop protecting Boston.
Boston averages 1.5 fouls per game, hasn't fouled out this year and just twice has had 4 fouls. That, along with UCONN not being a particularly bruising/physical team means Boston getting/not getting calls is probably a non issue.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Boston averages 1.5 fouls per game, hasn't fouled out this year and just twice has had 4 fouls. That, along with UCONN not being a particularly bruising/physical team means Boston getting/not getting calls is probably a non issue.
Fouls called and fouls ignored different. Quick recent example SC Arkansas game 1 st quarter started with Boston going over Ramerize's back, who was attempting to block her out. No call. Few minutes after a Arkansas player driving Boston swiped down, did not keep her arms vertical, across her arms no call. The before the season even started promoted as NPOY is protected.

Reaction Score
UConns help defense is why they are smothering opponents. Another point with their height up top and down low they have become a better rebounding and defensive team. UConn has held opponents to under 40 pts in their last 4 games and under 40pts in their last 5 of 6 games. Now I dont care who your playing thats great. How many other top ranked teams have come close to that. Another point. UConn is winning with a balanced offense which is now 9 deep and UConns execution on offense is a passing clinic and on defense is smothering. UConn has been up 50 pts in many of those wins. Do you think that SC is 40 pts better? Hey SC is very good but against this UConn team which is not the same team they faced early in the season I dont think SC wins. In fact it would take a complete collapse for UConn to loose any game the rest of the season. UConn has to many weapons and foul trouble with 9 deep is not the biggest concern.
7F102665-52F9-4530-A463-D7224CD37B78.jpeg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Just here to read the comments....
Interest Reaction GIF
i really like this show.
'Psych was the highest-rated US basic cable television premiere of 2006.
The show has developed a cult following, especially in the years since going off air, with fans of the show being called "PsychOs"
and, the best part of all? they're still at it!
On May 13, 2021, Peacock announced a third film, Psych 3: This Is Gus, which premiered on November 18, 2021.
the guster!
perfect locale in Santa Barbara, too. a beautiful place with more nuts in a bowl than ur gramma's coffee table. highly rec'd for a long visit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To beat UConn, a team must score points. Taking a look at the games UConn has lost, this year (and in the past, as I recall), UConn has allowed 72 vs SC, 57 vs GT, 69 vs LV, 72 vs Oregon and 72 v Nova. Pick a number. I will pick 70 as the magic number. If SC fails to score 70 or more points, chances are they will lose. Therefore, UConn's defense (conversely SC offense) is the key. Not that simple, but close. There is enough evidence that UConn's offense (in its current state) can be slowed down but not stopped.

Reaction Score
Personally I think one key to a match up between UConn and S.C. (Should it occur) Is Edwards vs Boston, 2 Strong, physical players. If Aaliyah, who has shown a consistent improvement the las 5-6 game, can hold her own against Boston, at least make things difficult for her, the rest of the team should be able to handle the rest.
Last 5-6 games against very weak teams with virtually no height.
Not a compelling indicator.
3rd game in the Tourney is where the rubber starts to hit the road.
Then we’ll see.
I think we will, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Reaction Score
A couple of things to point out... neither team is the same team they had in November. UCONN has been through hell and is now coming back stronger than ever. The players who played in November are not who we have now. Azzi is healthy and playing like a stud. Nika only played a few moments and was not healthy. Edwards was not playing well at that time, Dorka was unsure of where she needed to be. Since then they have all grown, and add in Caroline.... and improvements on all those players I mentioned and CW hitting more threes... We are going to be a tough team to play in the tourney.

That said, Everyone talks about how SC is the team to beat... and they are. However, watching their game against... Ole Miss, or Mississippi state... whichever the other day where they won by 10... it showed they are a team that can be beaten. They have a loss on the season.... so it is possible. I would hate for everyone to think SC is unbeatable, especially the women on our team. They can run the tables this year if they play well. I for one am rooting for that.

Reaction Score
the thing I don't understand is ppl keep mentioning the depth of the bench, there can only be 5 players on the court. So either 2 scenarios are going to happen.
They are going to put 4 guards and 1 big (not the best option imo) or they are going to put 3 guards and 2 bigs. So when people say Uconn has: Westbrook, Williams, Ducharme, Fudd, Bueckers. That means 2 of those players are going to be on the bench, it's not who has the most talented players, it's who can you put on the floor your best 5 against Sc's best 5 for numerous stretches.
It’s also about keeping constant pressure on the ball.
Having enough rotating talent to absorb a couple of tic-tac fouls and maintaining the pressure.

Reaction Score
Last 5-6 games against very weak teams with virtually no height.
Not a compelling indicator.
3rd game in the Tourney is where the rubber starts to hit the road.
Then we’ll see.
I think we will, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
Confidence makes a big difference. Playing weaker teams does help build confidence. DePaul, Marquette and Creighton in my opinion would be more mid-strength teams compared to Providence, St John's and Georgetown which are weaker. So, the competition wasn't all weak. DePaul and Morrow as an example........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Fouls called and fouls ignored different. Quick recent example SC Arkansas game 1 st quarter started with Boston going over Ramerize's back, who was attempting to block her out. No call. Few minutes after a Arkansas player driving Boston swiped down, did not keep her arms vertical, across her arms no call. The before the season even started promoted as NPOY is protected.
Considering she's been reffed a certain wait all season, I wouldn't hold my breath that she'll get start getting called for more fouls in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
There are many differences right but the ones that stick out right now are Uconn's advantage in shooting efficiency and South Carolina's advantage in rebounding. The addition of Azzi and Paige, plus CW's improvement in 3 point shooting, and maybe a less competitive recent schedule has dramatically improved Uconn's 3 point shooting efficiency. A case could now be made that Uconn is now a superior shooting team overall. Uconn has a shooting percentage of .487 in overall shooting compared to .438 for South Carolina and a .342 percentage for Uconn over .313 for South Carolina in 3 point shooting.

At the same, South Carolina is crushing teams, over a very difficult schedule, in rebounding with 47.8 per game compared to Uconn's 38.6. That's a huge advantage. There are other significant differences as well but somehow, we need to make up that difference by making fewer turnovers, defending better...etc. I would contend that we really need to shoot better than South Carolina to have a chance to beat them. The good news is that on any given day we may well be able to beat anyone ( look at Kentucky's recent run, mainly driven by great 3 point shooting by Rhyne Howard ) and know that if we shoot 3's well we can beat anyone. Even South Carolina. We almost did when we met them earlier, until we got cold in the 4th quarter.

Have seen SC play on TV 10+ times this year and the differences are many. The most obvious is that SC is very consistent, getting many points inside. Their offense rarely bogs down and their defense is excellent. UConn has a higher upside and in my opinion should win but depends much more on 3-pointers and tends to slow down when the shots are not going in. SC likely going into NCAA's with several games against Top 20 talent. UConn, playing lesser teams.
While I am generally not superstitious, all this talk about the teams we should be able to beat to win a National Championship is starting to remind me about last year's Arkansas game. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Have seen SC play on TV 10+ times this year and the differences are many. The most obvious is that SC is very consistent, getting many points inside. Their offense rarely bogs down and their defense is excellent. UConn has a higher upside and in my opinion should win but depends much more on 3-pointers and tends to slow down when the shots are not going in. SC likely going into NCAA's with several games against Top 20 talent. UConn, playing lesser teams.
Exactly! UConn is certainly capable of beating So Carolina. The Huskies were leading at halftime of the last game (by 3 points after coughing up a 12 point lead) but wilted under South Carolina’s defense in the second half. With all due respect to South Carolina, that was UConn’s MO with a number of teams at the beginning of the season. It wasn’t until early February that the Huskies started to play the full 40 minutes.

Having said that, the games were against Big East teams, not some kind of murderer’s row with the exception of Tennessee, which was a different team on Feb. 6. But I think that game was the key because the players found out they were good enough to beat a good team with Paige and Caroline sitting on the bench.

Can UConn beat South Carolina? Absolutely and I believe if and when they play again, it will be a dog fight (pun intended). Will the Huskies play the full 40 minutes or wilt? I have no idea because they have not faced that kind of intensity, talent, and confidence since their rebirth. But I’m optimistic, not because Paige is going to come out and score 20 points but because she doesn’t need to any more. She and Nika will be in peoples’ faces to get their butts in gear, too, and that has a value. The field general is back and that makes the Huskies dangerous opponents.

Reaction Score
There are many differences right but the ones that stick out right now are Uconn's advantage in shooting efficiency and South Carolina's advantage in rebounding. The addition of Azzi and Paige, plus CW's improvement in 3 point shooting, and maybe a less competitive recent schedule has dramatically improved Uconn's 3 point shooting efficiency. A case could now be made that Uconn is now a superior shooting team overall. Uconn has a shooting percentage of .487 in overall shooting compared to .438 for South Carolina and a .342 percentage for Uconn over .313 for South Carolina in 3 point shooting.

At the same, South Carolina is crushing teams, over a very difficult schedule, in rebounding with 47.8 per game compared to Uconn's 38.6. That's a huge advantage. There are other significant differences as well but somehow, we need to make up that difference by making fewer turnovers, defending better...etc. I would contend that we really need to shoot better than South Carolina to have a chance to beat them. The good news is that on any given day we may well be able to beat anyone ( look at Kentucky's recent run, mainly driven by great 3 point shooting by Rhyne Howard ) and know that if we shoot 3's well we can beat anyone. Even South Carolina. We almost did when we met them earlier, until we got cold in the 4th quarter.

Comparing statistics of predominantly different and not-so-large-number of opponents for these two teams leads to fantasy observations and conclusions. Perhaps, an analysis of the players in each team might yield better insight. It is not surprising that SC would outrebound everyone they play with Boston and Cardoso manning the post (probably the reason why Geno went for Dorka once she entered the transfer portal). SC also has speedier guards and they are competent shooters but the twin towers are not built for speed. Staley drills her teams on defense and likes to be post-centric on offense......they are a formidable team.

But, what I thought about UConn when the season started is finally coming to pass - no, they are not the well-oiled offensive machine they could be but they have only had a handful of games together with a full roster (the ones I thought would be key contributors, save one: Aubrey would have contributed, especially in a pressing defense). Right now, they are hyperenergetic from the joy of everyone back. It helps the defense tremendously but the offense is sometimes rushed. Still, you can see moments of how it can eventually become.

A couple of SC guards may be faster but UConn guards are no slouches and they are getting much better in the "read-and-react" defense and offense. And, it is no longer just Paige who is a reliable shooter from distance: the newcomers are very good (though Caroline has to get it back quickly) and the two seniors have improved their distance shooting.

Do they have enough time to control their energies and get in sync on offense before the Regional Final? It's four games of high-stakes "rehearsals" and some time to practice in between tournaments. Six of them have worked with each other last year, the other three look like really smart players - no need to mention good....they are very good. They are being mixed and matched constantly, in part to prepare for contingencies so that Coach can play any group of five to advantage against any opponent in any circumstance they find themselves in. And, I say that they will get there with room to spare.....

So much so that if they should meet SC whenever, I can see the greater flexibility growing in the UConn team beating the power and backcourt speed of SC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i really like this show.
'Psych was the highest-rated US basic cable television premiere of 2006.
The show has developed a cult following, especially in the years since going off air, with fans of the show being called "PsychOs"
and, the best part of all? they're still at it!
On May 13, 2021, Peacock announced a third film, Psych 3: This Is Gus, which premiered on November 18, 2021.
the guster!
perfect locale in Santa Barbara, too. a beautiful place with more nuts in a bowl than ur gramma's coffee table. highly rec'd for a long visit.
My wife love the show when it was on. I’ve watched it on and off on occasion. It’s good, definitely funny, but it seems like it’s the same joke, or maybe the same half dozen jokes stretched out through three seasons.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
From what I've seen SCar/s offensive depends on a few things.

First and most importantly, they depend on Boston. Boston's movement in the offense end is more than any other player on the team. She moves from the block to perimeter, to down screens, to back screens, then ultimately to the block to get the pass inside. Boston will however occasionally stay at the arc on consecutive offense series because she can hit the 3. That draws her mark to the perimeter opening up the lane for Amihere one on one, or drives to the basket. The team is also very dependent on Boston getting her double/doubles, of which the total is now up to 20 consecutive games. The offense spreads at the arc, they move the ball to a post entry where Boston or Amihere takes the shot and draws the defense, or she passes to the perimeter where the guards have the option to shoot, create inside, and/or pass back to Boston or to Amihere and Beal for the shot. Amihere can also hit from the perimeter.

Second, they're dependent on their guards outside shooting and ability to create off the dribble. Both guards have been fairly consistent from the arc, except for this year where Cooke has struggled. These two guards generally take the lions share of shots, and Dawn needs them to keep defenses from collapsing inside against their forwards, or from settling into a zone. The forwards set good high screens, Henny and Cooke have good pull ups, and are great finishers around the rim. Henny is also a very good passer, although I think I think Raven Johnson will ultimately prove the better passer in the future. When Boston sits and Cardoso comes in, or Amihere moves over, the offense does not need to change. Feagin and Rivers are terrific and athletic off the bench. We all know that Cardoso's length is a handful, and overall SCar's length and bench is a major handful. Feagin is nice inside and good rebounder. Cardos also shoots FT's well. Rivers can score from all three levels. Rivers is also ultra athletic , is silky smooth, and a good passer. Hall is strong, has good body control, and a nice finisher. Dawn will use every player on her bench which will wear out most teams in the second half.

Defensively of course, SCar's length gives everyone issues. But it's isn't merely their length, but their girth, athleticism, and their ability to box out that causes teams problems. Beal and Saxton are also smart and quick. They generally play a M2M, non-switching defense.

In a nutshell, UConn's offense doesn't depend on one player. The offense is built around the Princeton offense with many hybrid triangle features. It is clearly the most complex and difficult to master offense in WCBB; also the prettiest. The offense is dependent on ball movement, not dribbling. Players usually dribble to position themselves for the pass. In Geno's offense if you're not passing you're setting a screen. If you're not setting a screen, you're cutting toward the basket. It's not uncommon to see many offensive possesions where, once the ball crosses the half court line, it never touches the floor. If you have the open shot, take it. Geno varies his offense from a chin offense, to a hybrid chin, and or hybrid triangle. I've talked about Geno running the 23 keep with Paige, where, when given the hand off, she then has the option to dribble around the screen and shoot, pass to the cutting screener, or find the shooter for the corner three. Geno also now runs that play with Azzi and CD. When the clock is ticking down then you'll see someone trying to break someone down off the dribble. With shooters such as Paige, Azzi, and CD Geno now has the option to run some interesting sets such as a strong side, fake combination down and back screens, to a step screen on the weak side, or just simple high flare screens. With Dorka Geno can also draw forwards and posts out to the perimeter and away from the lane and their comfort zone. Dorka also gives guards an option for the pick and pop. Geno's offense is a team offense that is dependent on good passing, pace and execution (especially on screens) in the offensive end. It is also dependent on consistency from the perimeter, but his offense really clicks when players produce from the mid range. It also clicks when the defense produces TO's, because Geno's transition game is still the best in WCBB. When UConn is getting execution in their half court sets and getting TO's, that's when blowouts occur. UConn is one of the few teams in WCBB that can lose the rebounding war and still win the game by a significant margin. All due to their efficiency in the offensive zone and defense. Geno's bench is also a handful, and now that everyone is healthy he is wearing out teams down the stretch. Geno also has something I don't think anyone else in WCBB has. That is, the option of playing 5 out, including two forwards over 6' 3", all of which are capable of hitting the 3. When working, this is almost impossible to stop cutters, and one one one in the lane.

Geno's teams play a team defense, and they've always hung their hat on that end of the floor. UConn alters their defense from a switching M2M, to a collapsing M2M, to various zones. UConn's length in the defensive end causes many teams problems, especially since UConn has long forwards switching or hedging on the perimeter. The disadvantage is you will occasionally get poor swtiches where the offense has the advantage, or the switch isn't timely and the defense is out of position. It also means that occasionally your forwards are in poor position for the rebound.

Two teams with almost polar opposite strategies on offense and defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Considering she's been reffed a certain wait all season, I wouldn't hold my breath that she'll get start getting called for more fouls in the NCAA tournament.
Watching their game now, first quarter Boston bobliterated a kid from Kentucky while coming into the lane on the way to the basket and they called the foul on Kentucky

Reaction Score
Uconn now can put up big points from the 3 point line. Having both Paige and Azzi in the lineup makes it very hard to stop both of them. Before a team could really key on Paige but now Azzi might even be a better shooter. Wjhen Paige is out you can bet Azzi will be in. The team just has a more varied, prolific attack now.

I really think Uconn mainly just got worn down physically in the 1st game. It was a tournament right, 3 games in a row. Paige playing a lot every game. Dawn even mentioned that they wanted to wear Paige down as part of the game plan. Geno can sub in Azzi and give her 30 minutes now, give Caroline 30 minutes now. That alone should help fix the endurance issue.

Reaction Score
Love this UConn team now, not so much two months ago. No matter - they are the real deal now.

1. Can’t let any team, but especially USC, get offensive rebounds. Easier said than done, but doable.

2. Let Paige do her mid range game - best in the game. Given Azzi Fudd, the pressure to hit threes should be limited.

3. If I am Dawn Staley, or any other coach, but permitting Fudd to hit 6 or 7 three pointers is lethal. It is more than just the points; the defense gets stretched another 2-3 feet

Reaction Score
South Carolina is clearly the team to beat. Until we actually do that we have to be considered an underdog. However, it is also very clear that we have become a much better team since our last meeting. To be fair though, SC probably has improved as well! I believe we can beat them if we play well but we’re certainly not a favorite! Personally, I’d be just as happy if they were to get knocked out by some other hot shooting team before we met.

Those who are acting as though we are suddenly the superior team and are now the favorite to win a matchup with SC, are simply whistling past the graveyard! Again, we can win that game, but a lot of things are going to have to go right in order for that to happen. Most important, we have to play well and show some serious heart when things get tough.

Somehow, we have to figure out a way to limit their offensive rebounding, our posts must collectively neutralize Boston et al either by holding her under her average or by matching her scoring themselves. Meanwhile, our guards must match SC’s physical play without getting into foul trouble. They must score throughout the game and be able to avoid long dry spells like that awful fourth quarter in the last game we played! We have to limit our turnovers and hopefully turn them over for transition buckets. Finally, we need a fair, evenly called game by the referees. Bonus; Paige and/or Azzi have “one of those days” where they are fully in tune! Wow! Seems easy now that I’ve figured it out! :rolleyes:
You’ve earned the bragging rights at this time.
Did Caroline play?

Reaction Score
Well SC just lost to Kentucky!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, all that means is they didn't win the SEC tournament championship and they will still be the !1 seed in the NCAA's........ Not sure how if at all it will affect UConn's seeding.:):)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom