Differences between South Carolina and Uconn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Differences between South Carolina and Uconn

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, all that means is they didn't win the SEC tournament championship and they will still be the !1 seed in the NCAA's........ Not sure how if at all it will affect UConn's seeding.:):)
It means this "unbeatable team" (South Carolina) can be beat, simple as that. For that matter "on any given day/night...." as the old saying goes.

Reaction Score
It means this "unbeatable team" (South Carolina) can be beat, simple as that. For that matter "on any given day/night...." as the old saying goes.
I was talking more about what the committee will do with the "seedings". I don't think it will change things for UConn

Reaction Score
You’ve earned the bragging rights at this time.
I'm not a gamecocks fan tho lol just gotta be objective, but maybe to the person that said Uconn can do what Kentucky did could be right.

Reaction Score
the thing I don't understand is ppl keep mentioning the depth of the bench, there can only be 5 players on the court. So either 2 scenarios are going to happen.
They are going to put 4 guards and 1 big (not the best option imo) or they are going to put 3 guards and 2 bigs. So when people say Uconn has: Westbrook, Williams, Ducharme, Fudd, Bueckers. That means 2 of those players are going to be on the bench, it's not who has the most talented players, it's who can you put on the floor your best 5 against Sc's best 5 for numerous stretches.
If these teams get to play again, as I’ve said all year, the biggest difference will be guard play. UConn has 5 excellent guards. With a Paige and Azzi at their best, by far the best 2, having 5 should assure 2 or 3 fresh, hard playing, intense guards for 40 minutes. I say this will be the difference. Another difference I see is that UConn can still win a conference championship.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was talking more about what the committee will do with the "seedings". I don't think it will change things for UConn
Here’s a possibility. NC St has earned the #1 seed in the Greensboro Region. SC is still a #1 seed. But maybe they get moved to Bridgeport, where they get a rematch vs the Huskies… ;)

Reaction Score
OK, I won't hold their loss to Kentucky in the SEC Championship game against them. They will remain the same team, same style and same players....a little embarrassed, disappointed, frustrated and more than a little angry going into the NCAAs. Staley believes that if they simply play their game well, they will win, so there is no reason to change the post-centric approach to the game they play.

But this game may have shown a little more of its vulnerabilities, despite a good complement of guards and three excellent post players in Boston, Cardoso and Amihere: when something is not working well, modify, even improvise, if necessary - they seem slow to do it.

Whatever assets each team brings into a BB game, the mental aspects cannot be discounted. Perhaps, the season that UConn has gone through has strengthened its resolve more than anyone might expect and this can make a difference if and when they meet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
lmaoo I needed a good chuckle. In no way shape or form does Uconn have a better defense than SC
Glad we could accommodate. You provide us with opposite opinions even when ridiculous :rolleyes: . Caroline Ducharme didn't play, Azzi was hurt, and Dorka still learning the scheme. I'm sure SC has changed too. It would be an interesting game should it occur. I love getting revenge for losses. I just hope it is in the championship game so neither is robbed of the opportunity.

Reaction Score
There are many differences right but the ones that stick out right now are Uconn's advantage in shooting efficiency and South Carolina's advantage in rebounding. The addition of Azzi and Paige, plus CW's improvement in 3 point shooting, and maybe a less competitive recent schedule has dramatically improved Uconn's 3 point shooting efficiency. A case could now be made that Uconn is now a superior shooting team overall. Uconn has a shooting percentage of .487 in overall shooting compared to .438 for South Carolina and a .342 percentage for Uconn over .313 for South Carolina in 3 point shooting.

At the same, South Carolina is crushing teams, over a very difficult schedule, in rebounding with 47.8 per game compared to Uconn's 38.6. That's a huge advantage. There are other significant differences as well but somehow, we need to make up that difference by making fewer turnovers, defending better...etc. I would contend that we really need to shoot better than South Carolina to have a chance to beat them. The good news is that on any given day we may well be able to beat anyone ( look at Kentucky's recent run, mainly driven by great 3 point shooting by Rhyne Howard ) and know that if we shoot 3's well we can beat anyone. Even South Carolina. We almost did when we met them earlier, until we got cold in the 4th quarter.

I think we can beat them now, AND contend for rebounds. We can field now a team that we could not field last fall…….Our best team or starting five against a South Carolina or a Stanford is Bueckers, Williams, Ducharme, and any two of Edwards, Ono, and Dorka. This gives us a very deep bench at guard with Westbrook, Fudd, and Nika. Geno could even try Bueckers, Williams, Edwards, Ono, and Dorka.

Reaction Score
I think we can beat them now, AND contend for rebounds. We can field now a team that we could not field last fall…….Our best team or starting five against a South Carolina or a Stanford is Bueckers, Williams, Ducharme, and any two of Edwards, Ono, and Dorka. This gives us a very deep bench at guard with Westbrook, Fudd, and Nika. Geno could even try Bueckers, Williams, Edwards, Ono, and Dorka.
Geno's not taking Nika out of the starting lineup unless injuries become a consideration

Reaction Score
If these teams get to play again, as I’ve said all year, the biggest difference will be guard play. UConn has 5 excellent guards. With a Paige and Azzi at their best, by far the best 2, having 5 should assure 2 or 3 fresh, hard playing, intense guards for 40 minutes. I say this will be the difference. Another difference I see is that UConn can still win a conference championship.
I want to use an example from the men's side. Gonzaga had all these high scoring guards and their best player Jalen Suggs and 90% of the ppl picked them to beat Baylor because they didn't know Baylor was going to stop their offense. Baylor said we gonna punish you defensively so you earn every shot, and that they did and they went on to blowout and humiliate Gonzaga. I've said it all season, defense wins championships, I know Uconn will score, but can they defend against the elite teams?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Considering she's been reffed a certain wait all season, I wouldn't hold my breath that she'll get start getting called for more fouls in the NCAA tournament.
Today's loss to Kentucky was an exception she got away with murder and still SC lost. Until a foul in the last seconds SC had ZERO foils called against them in the 4th quarter. That officiating crew should be done for at least this year.

Reaction Score
pretty sure I said 4th not full game.
kinda like SC being held to 7 points in the 4th today by Kentucky after being up 15? UConn had the game in hand till early in the 4th, when they just ran out of gas. This will not happen again.

Reaction Score
My original thoughts in starting this post was in exploring the vulnerabilities of SC. They are beatable, as any team is beatable. My impression is that if their guards are not hitting their shots it makes them far more vulnerable. That happened today, against Kentucky, and all it took was one hot shooter on Kentucky and some solid defense to stop them. That absolutely could happen with any team but South Carolina is not a great outside shooting team and it makes them vulnerable in similar efforts in the playoffs. We have the personnel to do it if we play more players than in game one, and keep the defensive intensity up. We are better shooters.

Reaction Score
Geno's not taking Nika out of the starting lineup unless injuries become a consideration
If you don’t see the reason for doing just that against a team with a playing style like South Carolina, then I’ll just leave it at that and say goodnight.

Reaction Score
I want to use an example from the men's side. Gonzaga had all these high scoring guards and their best player Jalen Suggs and 90% of the ppl picked them to beat Baylor because they didn't know Baylor was going to stop their offense. Baylor said we gonna punish you defensively so you earn every shot, and that they did and they went on to blowout and humiliate Gonzaga. I've said it all season, defense wins championships, I know Uconn will score, but can they defend against the elite teams?
Totally agree. Defense wins championships. Both teams have excellent defenses. That is why I picked guard play as the most significant difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom