Diamond Deshields officially to Tennessee | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields officially to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a guest here and, consequently, cannot speak for anyone but myself. But I would like to say to the Vol Fans here that I enjoy your presence. I was a long time fan of the Vols and the Huskies over the years even though I'm a graduate of SMU. I monitored the Summit and the Boneyard for years, and I was quite shocked when the accusations were made by UT versus UConn. But, I waited to see what came of it. The denouement, suffice to say, left an exceedingly sour taste in my mouth, and I have to tell you...I haven't rooted for the Vols in any game since. And the ongoing accusations, sans proof, pouring out of the fan base pretty much ensures I never will.

I'm glad you folks have begun posting here, because to me it's an indication that there are Vols fans that have the integrity and the perspective to deal with this sport in a civilized manner. And, in a way, that's a better apology for the past than any press release Holly can or will ever make.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm glad you folks have begun posting here, because to me it's an indication that there are Vols fans that have the integrity and the perspective to deal with this sport in a civilized manner. And, in a way, that's a better apology for the past than any press release Holly can or will ever make.
Actually, the vast majority of LV fans are fine folk that we'd probably enjoy meeting and I'll bet most of them have never even heard of the Summitt. The LV fans that post here, and some that used to before cranky UConn fans drove them into lurking, also seem like nice people that would like to move on. It's the dozen or so members of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade that have decided it's their life mission to keep the hate alive and a similar number of UConn fans that continue to give the TFHB legitimacy that keep the feud going.

Reaction Score
I too enjoy the presence and perspective of, the LV fans..... this thread and others involving UT clearly manifests the existence, still , of a very raw nerve on anything UC vs UT.... I have very strong opinions on what happened in 2007, but do not broadcast them, so as not to pollute the integrity of this platform and the enjoyment of everyone who posts here....

I love hearing differing opinions.... even if they are "you guys suck".... because everyone is entitled to their feelings, and I have always admired the passion of others toward their programs, and respected CPS, and her building the LV program in Knoxville to what it is now. As Doris Burke said during the championship game, every female hoops athlete owes her a thank you.

As I get more seasoned (i.e. gettin' older!), I find less and less the incessant need to defend our program and its accomplishments over its recent history. It simply speaks for itself. People who want to take their shots, it is to be expected..... geez people even took aim at the God-like John Wooden in his time (he really wasn't that great, wouldn't anyone do just as well with the players he had, etc).....

Those are isolated thoughts, and not related to our guests from other programs who post here.... what I wanted to say was..... I really enjoy your input ND UT BU DU SU fans .... and your input and opinions are welcomed and greatly enjoyed by me ... and others I am sure..... and Nan, good post, and good job with this board. I hope ur weed whacker works wonderfully.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think the contributions from fans of other teams strengthens this forum and makes for some interesting dialogue, but as a newb, I'll pipe down now, because the last thing I wanna do is ruffle feathers this early in my Boneyard career.:p

Reaction Score
Personally, I think the contributions from fans of other teams strengthens this forum and makes for some interesting dialogue, but as a newb, I'll pipe down now, because the last thing I wanna do is ruffle feathers this early in my Boneyard career.:p

I've been here for many years. I don't say much.

The fans of other teams have added much more than they have detracted. It can be a boring forum when dominated by one repetitive perspective and the same ol' discussions. It's easy enough to skip posts/threads, set someone on ignore, or wait for the authorities to step in when needed.

Reaction Score
You're being short sighted by thinking that Taya Reimer would do a better job than Achonwa. Committing fouls? Achonwa commited far fewer fouls than Dolson and averaged just 2.2 per game. Comparatively, Reimer committed more fouls than Achonwa while playing fewer minutes. Not a strong argument if you ask me.

And again, Morgan Tuck is a good player who could blossom into a very good player at UCONN, but I think you're overestimating her impact. This year she was averaging 7.5 points, 2.4 rebounds, shot 49% from the floor and had an 8:11 assist/TO ratio before getting injured. As a freshman she averaged 6.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 45% from the floor. Compare that to KML or Stewart as a freshman or sophomore....there's no comparison. Not trying to slight Tuck, but I'm not buying the argument that her taking minutes away from KML or Stewart improves UCONN.

Reaction Score
You're being short sighted by thinking that Taya Reimer would do a better job than Achonwa. Committing fouls? Achonwa commited far fewer fouls than Dolson and averaged just 2.2 per game. Comparatively, Reimer committed more fouls than Achonwa while playing fewer minutes. Not a strong argument if you ask me.

And again, Morgan Tuck is a good player who could blossom into a very good player at UCONN, but I think you're overestimating her impact. This year she was averaging 7.5 points, 2.4 rebounds, shot 49% from the floor and had an 8:11 assist/TO ratio before getting injured. As a freshman she averaged 6.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 45% from the floor. Compare that to KML or Stewart as a freshman or sophomore....there's no comparison. Not trying to slight Tuck, but I'm not buying the argument that her taking minutes away from KML or Stewart

Morgan is just as important as any other player we have. I don't post alot but what a foolish thing to say. Laughing is my favorite thing to do, so I wish we could both go meet the staff and have you tell them your thought about Morgan's importance to the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First Morgan Tuck was ranked number 1 in her class the same class that Breanna Stewart and MoJeff were in. She got hurt thus her ranking dropped. She has shown signs of being very good but injuries have hindered her performance. She also won the 3 pt shooting contest at a national HS tournament at least I believe it was. The point is she can shoot the trey better then average.

What Morgan would bring to the lineup is giving a rest to KML or Stewart or Stokes this season. She is not a fill in she could put up some very good numbers. She could make a very good contribution. Another point this past season our starters didnt get enough rest thus those having off games had no one to replace them. Another point UConn had big leads and opponents caught up because UConn was tired and needed a rest or went to a zone to give themselves a rest. Morgan would be imo a huge contributor if healthy and her numbers would be alot better then 7.5 adn 2.4.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony, these constant negative references to Kaleena's conditioning are getting tiresome.:rolleyes:
Good Catch Kib. is as a shooter shouldve been has been as a shooter. My reference was when she came to UConn she was known as a shooter, now look at the improvement and how much more she has improved in so many other areas of the game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Having been absent for a few weeks, I decided to just read the last page of this thread. That is enough to convince me that another few weeks wouldn't hurt. I offer this in the name of peace and tranquility, not to mention that there is an awful lot of blue and white in this photo and no orange at at all. Maybe a little too much green.
IMG_1134.JPG

Reaction Score
Actually, the vast majority of LV fans are fine folk that we'd probably enjoy meeting and I'll bet most of them have never even heard of the Summitt. The LV fans that post here, and some that used to before cranky UConn fans drove them into lurking, also seem like nice people that would like to move on. It's the dozen or so members of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade that have decided it's their life mission to keep the hate alive and a similar number of UConn fans that continue to give the TFHB legitimacy that keep the feud going.

I actually have done a lot of work in Tennessee, and number many Vols fans among my friends. My disappointment has always been with the coaching staff that made these accusations, couldn't back them up, and has adamantly refused to acknowledge this over the years. This doesn't alter my appreciation for the fans like the ones we see here, or of the players...it does remove any incentive to root for the program...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Reading the vile remarks about Geno and Huskies on the Summitt page felt like I was shaking hands with Nathan Bedford Forrest.

I don't know if that's a proper analogy;
not a particularly pleasant fellow, tough partisan for his cause.
But one of he greatest and most effective military geniuses of all-time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And founder of the Ku Klux Klan.

Reaction Score

And again, Morgan Tuck is a good player who could blossom into a very good player at UCONN, but I think you're overestimating her impact. This year she was averaging 7.5 points, 2.4 rebounds, shot 49% from the floor and had an 8:11 assist/TO ratio before getting injured. As a freshman she averaged 6.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 45% from the floor. Compare that to KML or Stewart as a freshman or sophomore....there's no comparison. Not trying to slight Tuck, but I'm not buying the argument that her taking minutes away from KML or Stewart improves UCONN.

The bottom line is that if Morgan Tuck stays healthy she will make a major impact on UCONN'S success next year. Morgan has not had an injury free year since coming to UCONN. A healthy Morgan is a dominant player, and one of the best in the country. You obviously have not seen the real Morgan yet!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another point UConn had big leads and opponents caught up because UConn was tired and needed a rest or went to a zone to give themselves a rest.
I don't remember that every happening last year, Tony. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't believe, from what I have read, he was a founder. But "supposedly" joined soon after it started up and was possibly a/the "Grand Wizard". He was certainly very involved. Although later in life he distanced himself from the Klan.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I don't believe, from what I have read, he was a founder. But "supposedly" joined soon after it started up and was possibly a/the "Grand Wizard". He was certainly very involved. Although later in life he distanced himself from the Klan.

Most likely as he got closer and closer to Judgment Day, he simply wanted to cover all his earthly tracks.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Well this thread has taken an odd turn since the last time i checked it :rolleyes:
DD --> UT's Championship chances --> ND's Achonwa --> Vile Summitteers --> KKK & the a confederate General.....

Heck, odd turns are key to our charm, or is it that they're key to our gloriously manifested disfunction... I keep getting those two mixed up.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a Boo"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually like DD to Tennessee. It makes the wins so much sweeter when the opponents actually believe they have a chance. Case in point, this year's national championship.

That said, we are, of course, doooooomed.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Since it's summertime, I'll jot down some observations that have been in my mind for a while. Just haven't had the occasion or time to air them.

The challenge to LV fans generally is to demand that the haters -- and I mean several downright, scary-sick haters -- either:
  • produce confirmed, relevant facts showing recruiting violations, or
  • stop making the incessant accusations.
The principal recruitment of Maya Moore took place in 2005, and she committed in April of her junior year. One can agree with AVF's comment that this stuff is old news, while noting the amazing fact that certain LV fans are such sick haters that they continue to go on about it nine years later.

Mostly, among even some of the more mainstream LV fan crowd, it's generalized statements that Geno is unethical, lacks integrity, is a cheater, etc. It's more than just a few who drop those comments routinely, because they heard it on the Summitt, from each other.

When inclined to mention specifics, they go on about condos and handbags. Still. To this day.

And without having a darned thing to back up their accusations, they proceed -- talk about vile -- to say things like Maya's mom pimped her daughter, her handbags were ugly anyway, she was too poor and too untalented to afford her "luxurious" lifestyle in Connecticut, etc.

Yes, the word vile fits these haters to a block T.

When the most intelligent accusatory posts are those saying the writers don't know anything, the stench of bearing false witness ought to be noticeable. But, aha!, they say the reason they don't know anything is that it was set up that way, so no one could follow the money.

And therefore the fact that they don't know anything relevant means it was crooked. The alternative conclusion, that there was no "it" there, doesn't suit their purposes.

Am reminded of a post by one of the haters a few years ago, a rather intelligent post actually, as far as it went, in which she laid out about a dozen unanswered questions about Kathryn Moore's finances. The answers to these questions would've been pertinent if one were investigating a possible violation.

The hater in question thought she was conveying the message, "Look how suspicious it is that there are all these questions." What she was actually conveying was, "We don't have the answers to any of these questions, yet we'll go on drawing the worst summary conclusions and state them as fact."

Earth to haters:

• You don't know anything relevant about Ms. Moore's handbag business. You don't know anything about the sales figures. You don't know anything about the purchasers. You don't know anything about her deal with the bookstore. Yet you say the business was just a means of UConn funneling cash to Ms. Moore -- a blatant NCAA violation as to which you have no confirmed facts and which, BTW, Geno would be crazy to risk his program to do even if he had, as you suggest, no scruples about "it."
  • And along the way you necessarily, although you don't seem to realize it, imply that there was no reporting of Ms. Moore's profits anywhere (whatever they were; you have no idea) -- including to the IRS, so she was also committing tax fraud.
How astounding. You can't get other people's tax or small business financial information. Very suspicious, except that's how it is in this country absent a legitimate purpose. And your purpose is far from legitimate. Yet that's your justification for making any unsubstantiated accusations you want to.

As to the condo, earth to haters:

• Again, you have scant anecdotal (high school hallway) information the elder Ms. Moore intended to live in a condo. You have no idea the details of the unit, where it was located, what its fair rental value was, what Ms. Moore paid for it, to whom she paid it -- nothing. Nada.
  • Oooooo, but that's because the condo was owned by a shadowy "holding company." There's the smoking gun. Earth to haters: it's perfectly common for condo units to be owned by corporations or LLCs. They do so for investment and production of rental income. (And it would make sense that Ms. Moore paid rent if she was only going to be there for four years.) It's so common that many condo agreements specify, and the major lenders insist, that at least 50 percent of the units in a condominium be "owner occupied" so that there are people on the premises with a real stake in keeping the overall place up.
  • So corporate or LLC ownership is not because anyone is trying to hide who owns the unit. It's a common method of consolidating investments while maintaining limited liability. And ownership isn't even the relevant question. The relevant questions are fair rental value and what was paid.
  • So that vacuum of confirmed facts is the basis for routine accusations that UConn "gave" Ms. Moore a condo. Have you no ethics, no integrity?
"Oh, but it's broader than that," a couple of the worst haters will say. "We know from former LV players that Geno did bad things in recruiting them." No specifics.

Earth to haters: You're invited to specify if you could ever find the strength to emerge from innuendo.

But we also know stuff from former players. We know of stuff Ms. Summitt did personally "by mistake" (implying an inadvertent secondary violation -- as to secondary violations, TN has several more known ones than UConn does).

And as to non-public ones, we just don't feel the need to talk about them in every other post like you do, or at all. If the former players want to talk publicly about it, that's their prerogative.

But haters gotta hate. Their first purpose is to vent their hatred as they simmer past the point of tender in sour grape juice. Their second purpose, despite all evidence that it doesn't work because people consider the source, is to hurt UConn.

There's no reason to expect they'll stop. And no reason -- although it'd be decent -- to expect other LV fans will call them out for it or that the Summitt mods will put a stop to it (in the case of one of the worst haters, a rather fatuous thought).

This isn't intended to put our LV fan posters, who are good people and not haters or malicious ignoramuses (now there's a compliment), on the spot.

If anything, it might enlighten a bit as to why reasonable people, especially including UConn fans but also elements in the media and elsewhere -- find a certain cadre of LV fans to be loathsome libel and innuendo artists.

For many on the UConn side, the hard feelings, the scabs continually picked at by these people, may never fully heal, but they'd have a better chance with time if the haters would just STFU.

But they won't. And if some kind of apologetic patch is eventually applied in the interest of getting a series started, the haters will rebel against the patch, consider it a sell-out, an affront to the former coach.

For others on both sides, we're ready to move on, and have been. If this post dignifies the accusations by responding to them in detail, or stirs the pot, it's preferable to silence, which the haters interpret as guilty silence -- rather than the more obvious conclusion that their accusations are so ignorant one loses IQ points even talking about them.

That's it on that. Love those who hate you, eh?

Well, maybe not. Surely, down there at the bottom of the pile, crawling around in the sludge, are a few exceptions that would try the patience of even the most saintly.

Now to turn to something more pleasant, like putting together my new weed whacker. Have a nice day, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom