Diamond Deshields officially to Tennessee | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields officially to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dolson's totals in the previous FF could have been attributed to playing on no legs, more than anything Achonwa may, or may not have done. This year, Dolson was saddled with no such maladies.

While it's nice to have 5 AA "type" starters, it's even nicer to have a 6th as the 1st player off the bench along with another who possesses blistering speed. Unfortunately for UCONN, they were stripped of that luxury due to the injury bug and while the 47.8ppg is stingy (to say the least), it could have been much worse had they been able to employ their stifling defense in the full court and not have to fall back into a zone to protect from foul trouble and keep players fresh.

Would I have loved to see both teams at 100%??? No question, as I've no doubt the outcome would have been far worse for ND, just as the regular season totals would have been even more lopsided against everyone else, had KML, Tuck and Banks been on the floor all year at full strength.

Oh how ugly it would have been.

Minor historic corrections.

In the game 2 UCONN win in 2001, UCONN was missing Abrosimova and Ralph for the 2nd half, not Bird, but I know what you meant and Bird did not hit a layup. She hit a short jumper over Riley at the buzzer. Close enough though.

I forgot about Dolson's injury last year so scratch that. We have differing viewpoints on UCONN being a better defensive team with Tuck and Banks in the lineup. With Dolson and KML, it makes no sense to switch from a stifling half court defense to switch to full court. UCONN only allowed 47.8 ppg, 4th best in NCAA history. Opponents shot just 31.0% from the floor, good for 3rd best in NCAA history. And UCONN blocked 324 shots this season, more than any other team in NCAA history. UCONN's strength wasn't forcing turnovers, it was that in a half court setting their guards/wings could apply suffocating pressure because Dolson/Stewart were there to erase any mistakes if players drove to the basket. Adding in Banks and Tuck for 15-20 minutes a night each isn't going to make UCONN better when UCONN's starting 5 is already so strong and all 5 players are capable of playing 40 minutes a night without getting winded. Bringing in Tuck means that KML or Stewart goes out. Tuck is a nice player, but is no where close to the caliber of player that KML or Stewart is. Despite that UCONN had to always worry about foul trouble/injuries, having their 5 best players on the court at all times created great chemistry and made UCONN that much more deadly.

And we'll disagree on the outcome. I think adding in Achonwa makes Notre Dame a much tougher opponent for UCONN and brings the margin of victory down significantly. Her presence and passing creates better looks for Loyd/McBride, and defensively she prevents Dolson/Stewart from having a field day in the paint. I also think even if Tuck/Banks are healthy, neither of them sees much court time and if they do, considering how well UCONN's starting 5 played this game, neither Tuck nor Banks is going to be an upgrade over the players they replace in this game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I

And we'll disagree on the outcome. I think adding in Achonwa makes Notre Dame a much tougher opponent for UCONN and brings the margin of victory down significantly. Her presence and passing creates better looks for Loyd/McBride, and defensively she prevents Dolson/Stewart from having a field day in the paint. I also think even if Tuck/Banks are healthy, neither of them sees much court time and .

Agree with your first point (noted above) that a healthy Achonwa means better touches for the guards.
But Achonwa was never more than an adequate defender; fouled and made mistakes; might actually be inferior to the players who were on the court.

As for Tuck: if she is healthy, she is a competitive demon. See if you can find a replay of the ND triple overtime game.
In the first two overtimes, she almost won the game several times, virtually singlehanded.
A healthy Morgan is an extraordinary strength for this team and a sure winner at the next level.
But …will she be healthy? I sure hope so.

Reaction Score
Read your SUMMITT posts sometimes and tell me that that Lady Vol crew isn't paranoid with their "Geno bought Maya Moore's Mom a house in CT", or "UCONN cheated to get Maya (flying in Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi to take MM out to lunch when in truth they were playing in Russia at that exact time) and other recruits to come to CT", What a bunch of bitter has-beens ND and TN fans have become! And how many NC's does ND have in the last 4 years!
The often repeated falsehoods and vile statements about Geno and UConn on the Summitt and Volnation may be a part of why TN fans here are not accorded the respect they deserve.

The problem is that no Lady Vol fans challenge those false statements on the Vol sites. Remaining silent, is indicative of tacit approval by all LV fans. Perhaps if some Vol fans attempted to be fair about the untruths that appear on the Vol sites, some progress could be made in improving relations.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agree with your first point (noted above) that a healthy Achonwa means better touches for the guards.
But Achonwa was never more than an adequate defender; fouled and made mistakes; might actually be inferior to the players who were on the court.

As for Tuck: if she is healthy, she is a competitive demon. See if you can find a replay of the ND triple overtime game.
In the first two overtimes, she almost won the game several times, virtually singlehanded.
A healthy Morgan is an extraordinary strength for this team and a sure winner at the next level.
But …will she be healthy? I sure hope so.

You're being short sighted by thinking that Taya Reimer would do a better job than Achonwa. Committing fouls? Achonwa commited far fewer fouls than Dolson and averaged just 2.2 per game. Comparatively, Reimer committed more fouls than Achonwa while playing fewer minutes. Not a strong argument if you ask me.

And again, Morgan Tuck is a good player who could blossom into a very good player at UCONN, but I think you're overestimating her impact. This year she was averaging 7.5 points, 2.4 rebounds, shot 49% from the floor and had an 8:11 assist/TO ratio before getting injured. As a freshman she averaged 6.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 45% from the floor. Compare that to KML or Stewart as a freshman or sophomore....there's no comparison. Not trying to slight Tuck, but I'm not buying the argument that her taking minutes away from KML or Stewart improves UCONN.

Reaction Score
The often repeated falsehoods and vile statements about Geno and UConn on the Summitt and Volnation may be a part of why TN fans here are not accorded the respect they deserve.

The problem is that no Lady Vol fans challenge those false statements on the Vol sites. Remaining silent, is indicative of tacit approval by all LV fans. Perhaps if some Vol fans attempted to be fair about the untruths that appear on the Vol sites, some progress could be made in improving relations.
Agree the Summit....They hate Geno.Curls my hair when I visit there,and thats hard to do since I am bald.But kidding aside some over there have a problem,crazy hate.I don't look forward to playing Tenn.,with people like that in the gym!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah that is annoying. The amount of rumor and innuendo on those orange sites without a shred of fact is unbelievable. When Geno breaks Pat's win record, they will be fully unhinged. Already they claim that UConn cheats (I think a little education here would go a long way as the people in Tennessee need to understand what exactly it means to cheat), so I can't imagine what will happen then. Yeah, I'm sure the team with the brightest spotlight on them at all times cheats.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
You're being short sighted by thinking that Taya Reimer would do a better job than Achonwa. Committing fouls? Achonwa was called for far fewer fouls than Dolson and averaged just 2.2 per game. Comparatively, Reimer committed more fouls than Achonwa while playing fewer minutes. Not a strong argument if you ask me.

And again, Morgan Tuck is a good player who could blossom into a very good player at UCONN, but I think you're overestimating her impact. This year she was averaging 7.5 points, 2.4 rebounds, shot 49% from the floor and had an 8:11 assist/TO ratio before getting injured. As a freshman she averaged 6.4 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 assists and shot 45% from the floor. Compare that to KML or Stewart as a freshman or sophomore....there's no comparison. Not trying to slight Tuck, but I'm not buying the argument that her taking minutes away from KML or Stewart improves UCONN.

No need to thank me for fixing your little typo... but if you'd like and if we ever meet up at a game you can buy me a beer and a pretzel...

Boo

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I agree. I get frustrated when a player makes a good pass and the TV commentators go "WOW...WHAT A PASS!!!" And I'm thinking, yeah that was a good pass, but there was no wow factore in that. And when that is done, particularly in women's sports, it makes the casual male audience member think "really, that deserves a WOW?"

Well, yeah, ET, but there HAVE been some passes that deserve the comment. Diana's no-look tip pass (I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I was in the stands. Someone will remember it), The Hayes to Faris touchdown pass buzzer-beater (end of first half) at Kingston in 2012, for example. Many more, but I am old and forgetful.

Reaction Score
I forgot about Dolson's injury last year so scratch that. We have differing viewpoints on UCONN being a better defensive team with Tuck and Banks in the lineup. With Dolson and KML, it makes no sense to switch from a stifling half court defense to switch to full court. UCONN only allowed 47.8 ppg, 4th best in NCAA history. Opponents shot just 31.0% from the floor, good for 3rd best in NCAA history. And UCONN blocked 324 shots this season, more than any other team in NCAA history. UCONN's strength wasn't forcing turnovers, it was that in a half court setting their guards/wings could apply suffocating pressure because Dolson/Stewart were there to erase any mistakes if players drove to the basket. Adding in Banks and Tuck for 15-20 minutes a night each isn't going to make UCONN better when UCONN's starting 5 is already so strong and all 5 players are capable of playing 40 minutes a night without getting winded. Bringing in Tuck means that KML or Stewart goes out. Tuck is a nice player, but is no where close to the caliber of player that KML or Stewart is. Despite that UCONN had to always worry about foul trouble/injuries, having their 5 best players on the court at all times created great chemistry and made UCONN that much more deadly.

And we'll disagree on the outcome. I think adding in Achonwa makes Notre Dame a much tougher opponent for UCONN and brings the margin of victory down significantly. Her presence and passing creates better looks for Loyd/McBride, and defensively she prevents Dolson/Stewart from having a field day in the paint. I also think even if Tuck/Banks are healthy, neither of them sees much court time and if they do, considering how well UCONN's starting 5 played this game, neither Tuck nor Banks is going to be an upgrade over the players they replace in this game.
As impressive as UCONN's gaudy defensive stats were last year, to think being able to apply even more pressure and keep the rotation fresh with a top shelf 8 player rotation v. 6 defies logic to some extent, especially if those 2 players are supremely athletic at their respective positions. If a team has 5 great players, the notion that can remain on the floor for 38 to 40 minutes leaves a number of intangibles out of the equation.

Had UCONN been able to shift from full, to 3/4, to half court trap defenses, with constantly aggressive man-to-man pressure, the end-of-year numbers would have been even more staggering. When it became clear UCONN was down to basically a rotation of 6, anything resembling a press was off and they slipped into a zone defense on numerous occasion to save legs and fouls. That was NOT the strength of the team, but they were forced into that style due to injury and illness.

Bottom line, IMO, both teams at full strength, UCONN wins 10 out of 10 in the 20 to 30 point range and there wouldn't be a thing ND could do to prevent it. ND had no defensive answer for UCONN''s firepower from all 5 positions and only ice cold UCONN outside Final Four shooting kept the game in the 20pt range and with the best shot blocking trio in the history of the game, ND had no offensive answer in the lane, as they are a small team. Add in the perimeter speed of UCONN's guards pressuring their shooters and it's a nightmare you can't wake up from, as we witnessed in the last 2 Final Fours.

Now perhaps an All-Star team of Sims and Loyd at the guards, with McBride, Thomas and Ogwumike up front "may" have given UCONN a game, but that is pure speculation.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

So you're saying...because of other LadyVol fans and their opinions....all LadyVol fans don't deserve respect??

Reaction Score
Sorry but I find this post overly strong. The Tenn guests who regularly post here are NOT like those on the Summitt who have been the subject of some of the posts on this thread. And pointing out that Notre Dame might have made it a closer game had NA been healthy is not defending the Irish, it's expressing an opinion about what might have happened, and on it's own merit (i.e., not getting into the "ifs" on UConn's side) and in my opinion, it is not an unreasonable hypothesis. I don't recall anyone here saying that Notre Dame would have won if NA had played.

cabbie191- - - I am sorry that I offended you in any way, but I have finally reached my breaking point with the majority of TN & ND fans as they have turned into bitter, paranoid, & jealous! TN fans have been bitc_ing since Maya Moore came to UCONN with preposterous accusations about Geno buying MM Mom a home in CT, of rampant cheating on UCONN's part, turning UCONN into the NCAA for over 30 pages of charges (all of which were thrown out by the NCAA), outrageous quotes how TN players are better than UCONN's, even though the Vols haven't made the Final 4 since the Dark Ages!
ND fans for some unbelieveable reason feel that The Irish WBB are better than UCONN or at least AS GOOD! They're not!
Concerning the belief that N. Achonwa would have changed any aspect of the Finals results if she were able to play is foolish! She would have had to defend Stewart, Dolson, KML & Stokes by herself because her front-line teammates couldn't defend a dead person! Why even propose something that didn't happen, to find an excuse for the slaughter maybe! If the Queen had balls she'd be king!
I have stated previously that UCONN recent losing record to ND was more what UCONN didn't do than what ND did and the last 3 meetings, UCONN kicked their butts! And Muffitt's almost crying how ND gets no respect! Well, respect is earned not given, and when you make 7 FF in a row and win 4 Championships, you've earned the respect of your peers!
Until TN & ND have the same successes that UCONN has had then they should just be quiet and work harder to improve!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tenn has 8 National Championships at the end of the day. We have a tad of room to speak to a certain degree...lets just not be rude here...who cares about these accusations from a select few Tenn fans, its old news to be honest.

Reaction Score
Tenn has 8 National Championships at the end of the day. We have a tad of room to speak to a certain degree...lets just not be rude here...who cares about these accusations from a select few Tenn fans, its old news to be honest.

It wasn't just Tennessee fans.

Reaction Score
Elder or not, I understand your point. I guess I am just missing many of the folks who used to post regularly and are missing today either by death like OC or other choices. I am giving a bit of voice to conversations that have taken place elsewhere.

I miss OSouth, as well, and he isn't here for other reasons.

Part of it is I also left the Summitt to avoid LV fans and since the pay days pleasant or not that has raised the number of posters here. It is what it is. But I am far from the only one who has this irritation just tired of the delusional appraisals of those feeling the need to defend the LV and voicing it. Every recruit for the last 6 years has been the next superstar returning them to the promised land and it hasn't happened yet. Will DD do it, maybe, but at this point my idea would to simply wait and see, but then I am not given to making much hype over our recruits either.
Thanks for the respectful response Ice. Good luck with this morning's sermon.

Reaction Score
I have been a guest here for about three years now. This is by far the most welcoming (and forgiving) board I have been on. I no longer feel like a guest and I have come to respect the UCONN program more than ever.
Glad to hear it ETT. I know you've taken some grief on occasion--glad to hear it hasn't soured you at all on the BY.

Reaction Score
I'll bite at this post--I don't think anyone believes that Notre Dame would have won against UCONN with Achonwa, but I do believe with Achonwa it is a much more interesting game. UCONN suffered injuries throughout the season, but the impact of losing Achonwa at the end of the Elite 8 is far greater than losing Tuck, KML for stretches and Banks for stretches. UCONN was still able to develop as a team throughout the season without these players, where losing Achonwa meant that Notre Dame lost their leader and only strong interior presence at the very end of the season. Notre Dame's success depends more on Achonwa than UCONN's success depended on KML/Banks/Tuck. If Natalie went down early in the season, Notre Dame has more time to develop on court chemistry without Achonwa.

Achonwa wasn't a defensive star, but you're underestimating her impact on the defensive end. She is a far superior defender and defense presence compared to her replacement, Taya Reimer. Reimer was an inexperienced role player who had to step in and try to defend the likes of Dolson and Stewart, both of whom are bigger, smarter, better and more experienced than she is. I don't see Achonwa shutting down Dolson, but I also don't see Dolson putting up her crazy statline of 17 points, 16 boards, 7 assists, 3 blocks and just 2 turnovers against Achonwa. Additionally, I think Achonwa puts up better numbers than Reimer's 6 points and 4 boards.

And in regards to Notre Dame-UCONN in 2001, the one time both teams met at full strength, Notre Dame crushed UCONN by 16 in a game that was never in question. Shea Ralph was absolutely outstanding in 2000, earning some POY awards and being a consensus All-American, but she was not the same player in 2000-01 where she only made HM All-Big East. In the Final Four, Notre Dame outscored UCONN 53-26 in the 2nd half. Having Abrosimova and a 2001 Shea Ralph would have contributed offensively and provided relief for Bird and Taurasi who both struggled that game, but I still think it is unlikely that UCONN wins that matchup with a healthy roster, just like it is very unlikely that Notre Dame beats UCONN with Achonwa this past season.
I agree with most of what you say Bball, but specifically wanted to pick up on the highlighted comment.

I remember being at a game in the 00-01 season and being shocked that Shea could barely get off the ground. I think you're dead right to point to her drop off as critical to the 00-01 underperformance. And many BYers do forget about that decisive loss to ND at full strength.

Question though for BY historians. Was Shea injured at some point in the offseason or in the fall/early winter of 2000? I just can't remember, although the image of Shea having a vertical leap of about 15 inches that season is burned in my brain.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So you're saying...because of other LadyVol fans and their opinions....all LadyVol fans don't deserve respect??
No, Bestarius was saying that UConn fans' opinion of all Tennessee fans is colored by the actions of a bunch of loudmouth haters and reinforced by the lack of protest by the more well-adjusted Tenn fans.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, yeah, ET, but there HAVE been some passes that deserve the comment. Diana's no-look tip pass (I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I was in the stands. Someone will remember it).
It was vs Penn State in the Regionals at the Civic Center. Someone threw a pass to DT who tipped it backwards over her head to Jess Moore. Pretty spectacular.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

I'm very happy to have you here making your case with conviction and strength just as others make their cases. Your arguments add value to the conversation and are wonderfully enjoyable and irritating at the same time, which is just what a good forum needs.

While it's true that, as you have pointed out, it was long ago that the dregs of Vol society set fire to this issue, it's also true that the friction that you sense today derives its energy from the fact that the good folks of Volville were and are still silent on the actions of those hooligans. As wiser men than I have stated, acknowledging injustice is a necessary first step to finding peace.

Mahatma Boo

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
When Smokey was monitor of the Summitt he took a pretty much hands-off attitude, which allowed considerable participation by non-LV fans, but also some pretty far-out hateful, slanderous, vicious rants by some of the less well potty trained LV faithful. All-in-all, an often annoying but not entirely bad venue. Under the new management, however, the board monitor actively encourages the haters and conspiracy theorists, and this has turned the entire operation into a true cesspool. imho. (Granted, I have not viewed it since it went pay-to-play, but I would bet the homestead that it has not gotten better.)

JS

Reaction Score

Agreed. Since it's summertime, I'll jot down some observations that have been in my mind for a while. Just haven't had the occasion or time to air them.

The challenge to LV fans generally is to demand that the haters -- and I mean several downright, scary-sick haters -- either:
  • produce confirmed, relevant facts showing recruiting violations, or
  • stop making the incessant accusations.
The principal recruitment of Maya Moore took place in 2005, and she committed in April of her junior year. One can agree with AVF's comment that this stuff is old news, while noting the amazing fact that certain LV fans are such sick haters that they continue to go on about it nine years later.

Mostly, among even some of the more mainstream LV fan crowd, it's generalized statements that Geno is unethical, lacks integrity, is a cheater, etc. It's more than just a few who drop those comments routinely, because they heard it on the Summitt, from each other.

When inclined to mention specifics, they go on about condos and handbags. Still. To this day.

And without having a darned thing to back up their accusations, they proceed -- talk about vile -- to say things like Maya's mom pimped her daughter, her handbags were ugly anyway, she was too poor and too untalented to afford her "luxurious" lifestyle in Connecticut, etc.

Yes, the word vile fits these haters to a block T.

When the most intelligent accusatory posts are those saying the writers don't know anything, the stench of bearing false witness ought to be noticeable. But, aha!, they say the reason they don't know anything is that it was set up that way, so no one could follow the money.

And therefore the fact that they don't know anything relevant means it was crooked. The alternative conclusion, that there was no "it" there, doesn't suit their purposes.

Am reminded of a post by one of the haters a few years ago, a rather intelligent post actually, as far as it went, in which she laid out about a dozen unanswered questions about Kathryn Moore's finances. The answers to these questions would've been pertinent if one were investigating a possible violation.

The hater in question thought she was conveying the message, "Look how suspicious it is that there are all these questions." What she was actually conveying was, "We don't have the answers to any of these questions, yet we'll go on drawing the worst summary conclusions and state them as fact."

Earth to haters:

• You don't know anything relevant about Ms. Moore's handbag business. You don't know anything about the sales figures. You don't know anything about the purchasers. You don't know anything about her deal with the bookstore. Yet you say the business was just a means of UConn funneling cash to Ms. Moore -- a blatant NCAA violation as to which you have no confirmed facts and which, BTW, Geno would be crazy to risk his program to do even if he had, as you suggest, no scruples about "it."
  • And along the way you necessarily, although you don't seem to realize it, imply that there was no reporting of Ms. Moore's profits anywhere (whatever they were; you have no idea) -- including to the IRS, so she was also committing tax fraud.
How astounding. You can't get other people's tax or small business financial information. Very suspicious, except that's how it is in this country absent a legitimate purpose. And your purpose is far from legitimate. Yet that's your justification for making any unsubstantiated accusations you want to.

As to the condo, earth to haters:

• Again, you have scant anecdotal (high school hallway) information the elder Ms. Moore intended to live in a condo. You have no idea the details of the unit, where it was located, what its fair rental value was, what Ms. Moore paid for it, to whom she paid it -- nothing. Nada.
  • Oooooo, but that's because the condo was owned by a shadowy "holding company." There's the smoking gun. Earth to haters: it's perfectly common for condo units to be owned by corporations or LLCs. They do so for investment and production of rental income. (And it would make sense that Ms. Moore paid rent if she was only going to be there for four years.) It's so common that many condo agreements specify, and the major lenders insist, that at least 50 percent of the units in a condominium be "owner occupied" so that there are people on the premises with a real stake in keeping the overall place up.
  • So corporate or LLC ownership is not because anyone is trying to hide who owns the unit. It's a common method of consolidating investments while maintaining limited liability. And ownership isn't even the relevant question. The relevant questions are fair rental value and what was paid.
  • So that vacuum of confirmed facts is the basis for routine accusations that UConn "gave" Ms. Moore a condo. Have you no ethics, no integrity?
"Oh, but it's broader than that," a couple of the worst haters will say. "We know from former LV players that Geno did bad things in recruiting them." No specifics.

Earth to haters: You're invited to specify if you could ever find the strength to emerge from innuendo.

But we also know stuff from former players. We know of stuff Ms. Summitt did personally "by mistake" (implying an inadvertent secondary violation -- as to secondary violations, TN has several more known ones than UConn does).

And as to non-public ones, we just don't feel the need to talk about them in every other post like you do, or at all. If the former players want to talk publicly about it, that's their prerogative.

But haters gotta hate. Their first purpose is to vent their hatred as they simmer past the point of tender in sour grape juice. Their second purpose, despite all evidence that it doesn't work because people consider the source, is to hurt UConn.

There's no reason to expect they'll stop. And no reason -- although it'd be decent -- to expect other LV fans will call them out for it or that the Summitt mods will put a stop to it (in the case of one of the worst haters, a rather fatuous thought).

This isn't intended to put our LV fan posters, who are good people and not haters or malicious ignoramuses (now there's a compliment), on the spot.

If anything, it might enlighten a bit as to why reasonable people, especially including UConn fans but also elements in the media and elsewhere -- find a certain cadre of LV fans to be loathsome libel and innuendo artists.

For many on the UConn side, the hard feelings, the scabs continually picked at by these people, may never fully heal, but they'd have a better chance with time if the haters would just STFU.

But they won't. And if some kind of apologetic patch is eventually applied in the interest of getting a series started, the haters will rebel against the patch, consider it a sell-out, an affront to the former coach.

For others on both sides, we're ready to move on, and have been. If this post dignifies the accusations by responding to them in detail, or stirs the pot, it's preferable to silence, which the haters interpret as guilty silence -- rather than the more obvious conclusion that their accusations are so ignorant one loses IQ points even talking about them.

That's it on that. Love those who hate you, eh?

Well, maybe not. Surely, down there at the bottom of the pile, crawling around in the sludge, are a few exceptions that would try the patience of even the most saintly.

Now to turn to something more pleasant, like putting together my new weed whacker. Have a nice day, all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was vs Penn State in the Regionals at the Civic Center. Someone threw a pass to DT who tipped it backwards over her head to Jess Moore. Pretty spectacular.
She didn't get an assist on it though. Always wished JMO would have made that shot - would have been an all-time hall of fame highlight reel.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Agreed. Since it's summertime, I'll jot down some observations that have been in my mind for a while.

The challenge to LV fans generally is to demand that the haters -- and I mean several downright, scary-sick haters, either:
Now to turn to something more pleasant, like putting together my new weed whacker. Have a nice day, all.

Sums it up nicely.

When I read the word 'hater' in your post it reminded me of Hedley Lamarr's call for "rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists."

Blazing Boo

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
cabbie191- - - I am sorry that I offended you in any way, but I have finally reached my breaking point with the majority of TN & ND fans as they have turned into bitter, paranoid, & jealous! TN fans have been bitc_ing since Maya Moore came to UCONN with preposterous accusations about Geno buying MM Mom a home in CT, of rampant cheating on UCONN's part, turning UCONN into the NCAA for over 30 pages of charges (all of which were thrown out by the NCAA), outrageous quotes how TN players are better than UCONN's, even though the Vols haven't made the Final 4 since the Dark Ages!
ND fans for some unbelieveable reason feel that The Irish WBB are better than UCONN or at least AS GOOD! They're not!
Concerning the belief that N. Achonwa would have changed any aspect of the Finals results if she were able to play is foolish! She would have had to defend Stewart, Dolson, KML & Stokes by herself because her front-line teammates couldn't defend a dead person! Why even propose something that didn't happen, to find an excuse for the slaughter maybe! If the Queen had balls she'd be king!
I have stated previously that UCONN recent losing record to ND was more what UCONN didn't do than what ND did and the last 3 meetings, UCONN kicked their butts! And Muffitt's almost crying how ND gets no respect! Well, respect is earned not given, and when you make 7 FF in a row and win 4 Championships, you've earned the respect of your peers!
Until TN & ND have the same successes that UCONN has had then they should just be quiet and work harder to improve!

Not to worry - I wasn't offended at all. :) I was just stating my perspective on the specific points raised by guests on this particular post. The thing is, I agree with your statement about the majority of TN & ND fans, it's just that those aren't the fans who tend to visit our site.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Since it's summertime, I'll jot down some observations that have been in my mind for a while. Just haven't had the occasion or time to air them.

The challenge to LV fans generally is to demand that the haters -- and I mean several downright, scary-sick haters, either:
The principle recruitment of Maya Moore took place in 2005, and she committed in April of her junior year. One can agree with AVF's comment that this stuff is old news, while noting the amazing fact that certain LV fans are such sick haters that they continue to go on about it nine years later.

Mostly, among even some of the more mainstream LV fan crowd, it's generalized statements that Geno is unethical, lacks integrity, is a cheater, etc. It's more than just a few who drop those comments routinely, because they heard it on the Summitt, from each other.

When inclined to mention specifics, they go on about condos and handbags. Still. To this day.

And without having a darned thing to back up their accusations, they proceed -- talk about vile -- to say things like Maya's mom pimped her daughter, her handbags were ugly anyway, she was too poor and too untalented to afford her "luxurious" lifestyle in Connecticut, etc.

Yes, the word vile fits these haters to a block T.

When the most intelligent accusatory posts are those saying the writers don't know anything, the stench of bearing false witness ought to be noticeable. But, aha!, they say the reason they don't know anything is that it was set up that way, so no one could follow the money.

And therefore the fact that they don't know anything relevant means it was crooked. The alternative conclusion, that there was no "it" there, doesn't suit their purposes.

Am reminded of a post by one of the haters a few years ago, a rather intelligent post actually, as far as it went, in which she laid out about a dozen unanswered questions about Kathryn Moore's finances. The answers to these questions would've been pertinent if one were investigating a possible violation.

The hater in question thought she was conveying the message, "Look how suspicious it is that there are all these questions." What she was actually conveying was, "We don't have the answers to any of these questions, yet we'll go on drawing the worst summary conclusions and state them as fact."

Earth to haters:

• You don't know anything relevant about Ms. Moore's handbag business. You don't know anything about the sales figures. You don't know anything about the purchasers. You don't know anything about her deal with the bookstore. Yet you say the business was just a means of UConn funneling cash to Ms. Moore -- a blatant NCAA violation as to which you have no confirmed facts and which, BTW, Geno would be crazy to risk his program to do even if he had, as you suggest, no scruples about "it."
  • And along the way you necessarily, although you don't seem to realize it, imply that their was no reporting of Ms. Moore's profits anywhere (whatever they were; you have no idea) -- including to the IRS, so she was also committing tax fraud.
How astounding. You can't get other people's tax or small business financial information. Very suspicious, except that's how it is in this country absent a legitimate purpose. And your purpose is far from legitimate. Yet that's your justification for making any unsubstantiated accusations you want to.

As to the condo, earth to haters:

• Again, you have scant anecdotal (high school hallway) information the elder Ms. Moore intended to live in a condo. You have no idea the details of the unit, where it was located, what its fair rental value was, what Ms. Moore paid for it, to whom she paid it -- nothing. Nada.
  • Oooooo, but that's because the condo was owned by a shadowy "holding company." There's the smoking gun. Earth to haters: it's perfectly common for condo units to be owned by corporations or LLCs. They do so for investment and production of rental income. (And it would make sense that Ms. Moore paid rent if she was only going to be there for four years.) It's so common that many condo agreements specify, and the major lenders insist, that at least 50 percent of the units in a condominium be "owner occupied" so that there are people on the premises with a real stake in keeping the overall place up.
  • So corporate or LLC ownership is not because anyone is trying to hide who owns the unit. It's a common method of consolidating investments while maintaining limited liability. And ownership isn't even the relevant question. The relevant questions are fair rental value and what was paid.
  • So that vacuum of confirmed facts is the basis for routine accusations that UConn "gave" Ms. Moore a condo. Have you no ethics, no integrity?
"Oh, but it's broader than that," a couple of the worst haters will say. "We know from former LV players that Geno did bad things in recruiting them." No specifics.

Earth to haters: You're invited to specify if you could ever find the strength to emerge from innuendo.

But we also know stuff from former players. We know of stuff Ms. Summitt did personally "by mistake" (implying an inadvertent secondary violation -- as to secondary violations, TN has several more known ones than UConn does).

And as to non-public ones, we just don't feel the need to talk about them in every other post like you do, or at all. If the former players want to talk publicly about it, that's their prerogative.

But haters gotta hate. Their first purpose is to vent their hatred as they simmer past the point of tender in sour grape juice. Their second purpose, despite all evidence that it doesn't work because people consider the source, is to hurt UConn.

There's no reason to expect they'll stop. And no reason -- although it'd be decent -- to expect other LV fans will call them out for it or that the Summitt mods will put a stop to it (in the case of one of the worst haters, a rather fatuous thought).

This isn't intended to put our LV fan posters, who are good people and not haters or malicious ignoramuses (now there's a compliment), on the spot.

If anything, it might enlighten a bit as to why reasonable people, especially including UConn fans but also elements in the media and elsewhere -- find a certain cadre of LV fans to be loathsome libel and innuendo artists.

For many on the UConn side, the hard feelings, the scabs continually picked at by these people, may never fully heal, but they'd have a better chance with time if the haters would just STFU.

But they won't. And if some kind of apologetic patch is eventually applied in the interest of getting a series started, the haters will rebel against the patch, consider it a sell-out, an affront to the former coach.

For others on both sides, we're ready to move on, and have been. If this post dignifies the accusations by responding to them in detail, or stirs the pot, it's preferable to silence, which the haters interpret as guilty silence -- rather than the more obvious conclusion that their accusations are so ignorant one loses IQ points even talking about them.

That's it on that. Love those who hate you, eh?

Well, maybe not. Surely, down there at the bottom of the pile, crawling around in the sludge, are a few exceptions that would try the patience of even the most saintly.

As someone who didn't follow this closely at the time but has heard countless references to this stuff, this was actually very, very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom