Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Reaction Score
Yeah, I mean we can't see what he's doing in practice but the last game he got minutes that weren't garbage time he had a few nice jumpers. No idea why he's not getting any time

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still think that a large part of the issue is that (at least in the staff's eye) his ball handling isn't where it needs to be at this point.

He did get on the floor a couple times last night. If he demonstrated that he deserved to remain on the floor, he would have gotten more run. His minutes will come as he continues to develop.

Reaction Score
I still think that a large part of the issue is that (at least in the staff's eye) his ball handling isn't where it needs to be at this point.

He did get on the floor a couple times last night. If he demonstrated that he deserved to remain on the floor, he would have gotten more run. His minutes will come as he continues to develop.

I'm 99% sure he didn't get on the floor. He isn't in the box score either

Reaction Score
You want to win when we have been struggling?
Or you want to develop Stewart?

A close rockfight was not the game to start on the job training.

If we lost there would be a lot of people freaking on Hurley.

Hurley is trying to win games with his lottery pick out for a month and in a tight game in the conference home opener.

I’m not sure you can have both..

If we lost there would be a complete meltdown so what’s wrong with keeping the players on the floor who the coach feels give us the best chance winning in that situation.

Reaction Score

Hurley is trying to win games with his lottery pick out for a month and in a tight game in the conference home opener.

If we lost there would be a complete meltdown so what’s wrong with keeping the players on the floor who the coach feels give us the best chance winning in that situation.

The key to winning future games is to develop the talent. Karaban hasn't been good the last few games but Hurley has stuck with him and not tried to throw Stewart in there for 5 minutes to see what he can do. When Uconn was down and none of the starters could do anything against Seton Hall, should have just thrown him in.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm 99% sure he didn't get on the floor. He isn't in the box score either
I was at a family event last night so I had to watch the game without sound. Evidently I was wrong but I thought I saw him check in briefly in the first half at two different times.

In all candor it appears that your stance is that it us far more important to give this kid PT than it is to win games and build the team as a whole.

Reaction Score
Stewart will get more run against teams without a formidable 5 man when Karaban isn’t foul trouble.

That way you can shift Karaban to the 5 and play Stewart at the 4. You can do this for probably 3min a half.

DePaul, Butler, Xavier are all teams you can do this against. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get run in the next 3 games.

Reaction Score
I was at a family event last night so I had to watch the game without sound. Evidently I was wrong but I thought I saw him check in briefly in the first half at two different times.

In all candor it appears that your stance is that it us far more important to give this kid PT than it is to win games and build the team as a whole.

I never said that. I said again when no one could get anything going in Seton Hall they should have given him some time. When Karaban is cold as hell and not keeping up with his man on defense, why not throw him in? A top 50 recruit is going to want playing time and to develop. Isn't building the team, giving young guys PT so they can contribute and help the team out down the road? Would it be possible to win games while playing him? Sounds like you think no.

Reaction Score
I’m almost sure Stewart was not ready to contribute in such a physical, defensive game. He’s only gonna play against overmatched teams until he develops more it seems.

It was an intresting game for Singare. He first rotation in, he was manhandled. His 2nd rotation, he was much better, and I for one was pleasantly surprised. Sometimes it takes game experience, and a chippy one at that, to bring out toughness. DH knows what he is doing, but we sure could use some minutes at the 4 to allow Alex a breather. If Stewart can shoot the three, and he has a nice stroke, that would help. However, that one defense rotation he missed, can leave a coach sleepless.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I never said that. I said again when no one could get anything going in Seton Hall they should have given him some time. When Karaban is cold as hell and not keeping up with his man on defense last night, why not throw him in? A top 50 recruit is going to want playing time and to develop. Isn't building the team, giving young guys PT so they can contribute and help the team out down the road? Would it be possible to win games while playing him? Sounds like you think no.
What I think is basically that the staff knows a hell of a lot more than we do and they are going to do what they believe is best for the program as a whole whenever possible. If we win a close, hard fought game while down a critical piece, the last thing I would do afterwards is complain about the amount of PT someone who hasn't yet been able to work his way into the rotation got in that win.

I believe that the basic difference in our viewpoints is that I believe DH has given everyone opportunities to earn PT and that they are receiving (within reason) what they've earned. It seems that you believe that in certain cases (I'm guessing HS press clippings), players should be given PT to demonstrate if they can or cannot perform.

I'm confident that DH wants to win and that he will do what he believes puts us in the best position to win. Will he always be right? No, nobody will. I do believe however that he has been fair to everyone and that nobody is being deprived of opportunities.

Reaction Score

Agree it’s possible last nights game may not have been the right game. But the game against the Hall there was zero reason for him not to see the floor when all else was failing. And I’m sure that has factored into how he wasn’t the same guy in the sidelines and in the huddle.
I know there are those who said “oh well he was right about Diggins, Floyd others” well this isn’t them. Kid can be a player and in the portal years it’s time to worry what’s being thrown in his ear!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, let him get his confidence up against the bad teams and then he'll be ready when we put him in against the better teams
That’s what the non-conference cupcakes and big games were suppose to be for. And Seton Hall.

I don’t know what we’re stalling his development for at this point.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Agree it’s possible last nights game may not have been the right game. But the game against the Hall there was zero reason for him not to see the floor when all else was failing. And I’m sure that has factored into how he wasn’t the same guy in the sidelines and in the huddle.
I know there are those who said “oh well he was right about Diggins, Floyd others” well this isn’t them. Kid can be a player and in the portal years it’s time to worry what’s being thrown in his ear!
Serious question, do you think you understand the team dynamics better than Hurley, Kimani, Tom and Luke? Seriously

Reaction Score
What I think is basically that the staff knows a hell of a lot more than we do and they are going to do what they believe is best for the program as a whole whenever possible. If we win a close, hard fought game while down a critical piece, the last thing I would do afterwards is complain about the amount of PT someone who hasn't yet been able to work his way into the rotation got in that win.

I believe that the basic difference in our viewpoints is that I believe DH has given everyone opportunities to earn PT and that they are receiving (within reason) what they've earned. It seems that you believe that in certain cases (I'm guessing HS press clippings), players should be given PT to demonstrate if they can or cannot perform.

I'm confident that DH wants to win and that he will do what he believes puts us in the best position to win. Will he always be right? No, nobody will. I do believe however that he has been fair to everyone and that nobody is being deprived of opportunities.

Maybe i'm just worried about losing him next year and seeing his uncle or someone connected to him on Twitter posting after games being upset about his playing time. Im not going to pretend I know more than Hurley and the staff. I'm only speaking to what I've seen in games but maybe during practice he's just not playing well enough to earn minutes in the rotation? I think it's also the whole fab 5 hype

Reaction Score
Maybe i'm just worried about losing him next year and seeing his uncle or someone connected to him on Twitter posting after games being upset about his playing time. Im not going to pretend I know more than Hurley and the staff. I'm only speaking to what I've seen in games but maybe during practice he's just not playing well enough to earn minutes in the rotation? I think it's also the whole fab 5 hype
He’s a freshman on a top 5 team with 4 other freshman. They’re all not gonna play. If he wanted big time playing time as a freshman he should’ve went to DePaul. Hurley knows what he’s doing

Reaction Score
Rotations will change with DC out for a few weeks. Stewart's time will come in that window as long as he earns it . As Hurley says-Players earn PT in practice.

Reaction Score
Well then you're one of the UConn fans his uncle is talking about when he tells UConn fans to stop talking about him leaving and he's happy here. It's not a good look

Reaction Score
Well then you're one of the UConn fans his uncle is talking about when he tells UConn fans to stop talking about him leaving and he's happy here. It's not a good look

I actually don't say anything about him on Twitter but thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom