Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Reaction Score
alex needs a little help defensively and we have a strong athletic back up 4 man who probably shouldve got some PT last night. we put tremendous equity on our freshmen---we have to take the good/bad with that for the development in march. Just like castle and ball are being let to develop---I think stewart needs 10-12 minutes to--especially when ak is off or FT

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in another post but I don't really get how Stewart didn't at least sniff the court last night given how bad Alex was playing. I know Stewart missed an assignment against Gonzaga and was pulled but what more damage could he have done last night that wasn't already happening with every other player out there?

Reaction Score
It wasn’t the fact that just Alex was playing bad but pretty much everyone so why not give him a shot? Was strange in this game considering how awful everyone was playing it was an opportunity to throw him in the mix and get a feel. We weren’t coming back with the way each of these guys were playing.

Reaction Score
PT is the last thing we should complain about. I say this every year. We have 10% of the data the coaches have on these guys at best.

We don't see Jaylin in practice every day. If he's not playing in games we need to make a comeback, it's because the staff--with 50x more evidence than all of us--believe he isn't able to contribute. And for a good reason considering how bar Alex was yesterday.

Reaction Score
PT is the last thing we should complain about. I say this every year. We have 10% of the data the coaches have on these guys at best.

We don't see Jaylin in practice every day. If he's not playing in games we need to make a comeback, it's because the staff--with 50x more evidence than all of us--believe he isn't able to contribute. And for a good reason considering how bar Alex was yesterday.

While I agree mostly I don’t like it in this case. There is no reason in a game where everyone is absolutely horrid not to throw a couple minutes his way. I mean it can’t be worst than what we were looking at.

Reaction Score
But it can. Which is why he wasn't playing.
With all due respect, it's tough to perform much worse than some of our regulars (esp. Karaban) performed last night. At the very least, you can give Stewart and perhaps Ross some burn to send a message to the other guys. And perhaps they would've brought some energy that was sorely lacking last night,

Reaction Score
With all due respect, it's tough to perform much worse than some of our regulars (esp. Karaban) performed last night. At the very least, you can give Stewart and perhaps Ross some burn to send a message to the other guys. And perhaps they would've brought some energy that was sorely lacking last night,
And the fact that that didn't happen should tell you something. Do you think Dan Hurley was sitting on the bench last night actively choosing to not play his best options and wanted to lose the game?

Reaction Score
Hate to say no it can’t. So no reason at all not to give him a run and experience it a bit. I mean I was watching, those playing were awful at best so he could’ve been awful. No explanation in this one don’t care.

Yes, it can and it's pretty confounding that you don't seem to be getting this. If we can't get any worse, why didn't we just play the walk-ons too? Surely that would give us no worse chance of winning.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't be against sending a message. But anyone thinking it's "tough to perform much worse" are clueless. If that's the case, just play Andrew Hurley.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hate to say no it can’t. So no reason at all not to give him a run and experience it a bit. I mean I was watching, those playing were awful at best so he could’ve been awful. No explanation in this one don’t care.
It can’t get much worse than already getting blown out. If we’re going to get blown out we might as well see what we have and get some good experience of it.

As far as practice, Hurley has said that Stewart practices well but has to earn the trust in games. Which is hard to do if he doesn’t get much of a chance to in games that matter.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

And the fact that that didn't happen should tell you something. Do you think Dan Hurley was sitting on the bench last night actively choosing to not play his best options and wanted to lose the game?

You two are going down the same path defending the RJ Cole years of middling records and first round NCAA exits. And it's not a good look for either of you.

There is no harm losing by 27 instead of 15 when it was obvious the seven healthy players out of the 9-man rotation were not getting the job done.

From a literal stand point of "it could be worse", you are both right. Putting in end of rotation or bench players and losing by more than what the final score ended up being is "worse". From the practical stand point, it was a blowout loss and the actual score doesn't change a thing about what happened in the first 30 minutes.

Put me squarely in the group with everyone else in thread but you two. When everything you've tried hasn't worked, go with a different plan. Worst thing that can happen is you find another way of not succeeding.

I'll be very interested in seeing what happens Saturday night at XL. Hurley and his staff have a lot of leeway after figuring out last season and completing an epic run in the NCAA tourney. The conversation is no longer about whether or not they have the smarts and ability to communicate to their players how to succeed. It is obvious when teams go with the strategy of drive everything all the time from every player, Hurley has struggled with mid-game adjustments.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be against sending a message. But anyone thinking it's "tough to perform much worse" are clueless. If that's the case, just play Andrew Hurley.

Well I know I’m not clueless and that analogy is awful. Andrew Hurley is about as good as a few of us on this board. Stewart should’ve seen time in that debacle last night.

Reaction Score
You two are going down the same path defending the RJ Cole years of middling records and first round NCAA exits. And it's not a good look for either of you.

There is no harm losing by 27 instead of 15 when it was obvious the seven healthy players out of the 9-man rotation were not getting the job done.

From a literal stand point of "it could be worse", you are both right. Putting in end of rotation or bench players and losing by more than what the final score ended up being is "worse". From the practical stand point, it was a blowout loss and the actual score doesn't change a thing about what happened in the first 30 minutes.

Put me squarely in the group with everyone else in thread but you two. When everything you've tried hasn't worked, go with a different plan. Worst thing that can happen is you find another way of not succeeding.

I'll be very interested in seeing what happens Saturday night at XL. Hurley and his staff have a lot of leeway after figuring out last season and completing an epic run in the NCAA tourney. The conversation is no longer about whether or not they have the smarts and ability to communicate to their players how to succeed. It is obvious when teams go with the strategy of drive everything all the time from every player, Hurley has struggled with mid-game adjustments.
I don't disagree in a vacuum, but I think this is a bunch of revisionist nonsense. When is the right time to concede the game and just focus on development? And would anyone here really be happy with that? We're down 8 with 10 minutes to go, you don't think anyone complains if Hurley puts the bench in the rest of the game and it balloons to 27?

In hindsight sure, we know the outcome and 27 vs 15 doesn't matter. But I'm going to have to strongly disagree with the idea that you just concede the game and don't make rotation decisions based on making a comeback

Reaction Score
I’m a glass full guy but Danny like the rest of the team just had a bad game yesterday. We’ve seen it before where a K Richmond lead team gets to the hoop at will. I felt last night‘s game was the definition of insanity. Yes I would have like to see Stewart get some run. Coach himself said he’d like to get to a 9 man rotation. Last night would have been the time. BTW I doubt playing Stewart would have affected the outcome.

Reaction Score
Well I know I’m not clueless and that analogy is awful. Andrew Hurley is about as good as a few of us on this board. Stewart should’ve seen time in that debacle last night.

Nah, the analogy is sound. Some players are better than others--the coaches play the better ones. You and I have so little knowledge of Stewart's ability compared to our coaching staff that it's impossible to make the judgment call you've decided to make.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The , it can get worse, argument is what ppl cried about with rahsool diggins. It’s beyond idiotic

Reaction Score

You go with a different plan by changing how you play, not playing end-of-bench players and expecting a miracle. Play a zone, play in drop, pre-switch... whatever. There are many options that year after year we don't choose to execute versus this style of team for whatever reason. It's our Achilles heel.

I wouldn't have been against more end-of-bench run simply to send a message to the starters, but you don't do that thinking you're going to win the game.

Reaction Score
The , it can get worse, argument is what ppl cried about with rahsool diggins. It’s beyond idiotic

We did a lot of complaining about PT that year, and at the end of the day, Hurley was right.

Diggins and Floyd weren't UConn-caliber players, and Johnson wasn't one until he took the couple years to develop and get stronger.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I agreed the last time this came up. Not this time. When you starters aren't bringing it, empty to bench. Those guys will bring it simply because they are trying to prove something. I would have put both Ross and Stewart in for extended minutes. At a minimum it might have made our starters wake up and stop pretending they were at an opera instead of a basketball game.

Reaction Score

We talkin' about practice? Staffs and coaches can still be wrong even with 50 times more evidence. There are players who thrive in game situations that don't practice well. Games and practice are two different things. Some players are great in practice but melt before a crowd and pressure.

It's interesting that high school players are largely recruited how they played in games. But are then evaluated at the college level according to how they practice.

Don't misunderstand what I am saying. I am NOT saying practice is unimportant. I am saying that practice is only a part of the puzzle. The only true way to see how a players performs in games is to see him perform in a game.

Reaction Score
Yes, it can and it's pretty confounding that you don't seem to be getting this. If we can't get any worse, why didn't we just play the walk-ons too? Surely that would give us no worse chance of winning.
Is Stewart a walk on? Not close that was my point so bringing up Andrew Hurley in this conversation makes little to no sense. But you’re on a roll stick to it lol.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't disagree in a vacuum, but I think this is a bunch of revisionist nonsense. When is the right time to concede the game and just focus on development? And would anyone here really be happy with that? We're down 8 with 10 minutes to go, you don't think anyone complains if Hurley puts the bench in the rest of the game and it balloons to 27?

In hindsight sure, we know the outcome and 27 vs 15 doesn't matter. But I'm going to have to strongly disagree with the idea that you just concede the game and don't make rotation decisions based on making a comeback
Not at 10 minutes. But we could’ve put them in at 5 mins left instead of the last minute of a blowout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom