Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Reaction Score
I just want to know when do we eventually let him play in real game situations then. I thought we did that in the non-conference already.

Is the expectation we don’t want to use him at all this year in games that matter?
If it’s a tight game that we’re struggling to pull away in, then yeah that’s probably the expectation and I’d bet Jaylin is very aware of that

If we can build a bit of a lead then let’s get him in so the starters can get rest without the game slipping away. And if he performs in those minutes, his role will increase. It was bad timing for him that his good OOC games came right before major games where you need to play 7-8 guys instead of 9-10

Reaction Score
He didn’t look happy during time outs and huddles at last nights game. I’d be concerned at this point.
How about Ross? In the preseason Hurley said he worked his way into the rotation. Then he played some in the first few games. Then nothing. I wonder what happened. Was he a good practice player whose game didn't translate to the actual games? Or was Hurley just trying to motivate Ross? Strange.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How about Ross? In the preseason Hurley said he worked his way into the rotation. Then he played some in the first few games. Then nothing. I wonder what happened. Was he a good practice player whose game didn't translate to the actual games? Or was Hurley just trying to motivate Ross? Strange.
Then he does the same thing with Stewart… I’m not sure why he would say these things in the first place if he didn’t plan on giving either of them much of a chance when it matters.

You have to give these kids reasonable expectations and goals to hit to have chances to play. If they are doing what you ask of them, as he says, then they should be playing.

I really couldn’t imagine how frustrated I would be if I was doing what was asked of me, coach says I am publicly, but doesn’t act on it despite a clear role for me to play.

That kind of thing could really mess with someone. You have to reward kids when they’re doing what is asked of them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If it’s a tight game that we’re struggling to pull away in, then yeah that’s probably the expectation and I’d bet Jaylin is very aware of that
From what Hurley and his family has said it doesn’t not seem like this is the case.

Reaction Score
You are welcome - I’m always game to try and help people who don’t pay attention. Happy Holidays!

Oh I pay attention I promise but appreciate the fact you think you helped. Happy Holidays as well! Hopefully in 2024 I will see as well as you!

Reaction Score
He didn’t look happy during time outs and huddles at last nights game. I’d be concerned at this point.
I wanted to check on this so i watched the highlight video from last night and focused only on the bench. Jaylin was going nuts celebrating with his teammates, and in many cases he was the one who was the most animated. Im sure the instance you are talking about happened, but it isnt indicative of his overall attitude.

Reaction Score
I wanted to check on this so i watched the highlight video from last night and focused only on the bench. Jaylin was going nuts celebrating with his teammates, and in many cases he was the one who was the most animated. Im sure the instance you are talking about happened, but it isnt indicative of his overall attitude.
Mau=King Concerned!!

Reaction Score

Good to hear and I could be getting him on time outs where the attention is on the 5 staying on the game. Thank you I want this kid to stay think he’s a player.

Reaction Score
Good to hear and I could be getting him on time outs where the attention is on the 5 staying on the game. Thank you I want this kid to stay think he’s a player.
I think i agree with you that the kid is a player, and we should want him to be here.
But here's another way to look at it: how many times (in the Hurley era) has a kid transferred out and had a great career ? I suppose you could count Carlton, but that was a choice between Carlton or Sanogo, and we chose correctly.

I would love for Stew to be getting 15 min per game right now for his development, but for some reason (that we can't see) he isn't. He is obviously skilled enough, so i assume it has to be in his head. DH has had a pretty good record of making these choices. I have to assume that he thinks that playing him now while he isn't ready will do more harm than good, either to him, or the team. There is plenty of time left in the season for him to earn the time.

Reaction Score
AllHusky = Queen Concerned about Mau!

I am concerned I like the kid, I apologize for wanting a kid to stay.
Who says he is leaving? Part of the journey is the struggle. Hurley understands that better than anybody. Look at his collegiate history as a player.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I guess the next fact this place will ignore is that Hurley already said he earned the PT in practice.
Coaches say a lot of things for any of a number of reasons. Look up what JC used to say about Justin Brown and then compare JC's comments to his actions when it came to that player.

You're getting far too personally committed to this, relax, enjoy the season, enjoy the holiday (if you celebrate) and maybe knock back a drink or two.

Reaction Score
Graphic designers, cement mixers and AAU coaches believing they know better than Dan Hurley how to develop a player is peak boneyard.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Coaches say a lot of things for any of a number of reasons. Look up what JC used to say about Justin Brown and then compare JC's comments to his actions when it came to that player.

You're getting far too personally committed to this, relax, enjoy the season, enjoy the holiday (if you celebrate) and maybe knock back a drink or two.
You mean the guy who averaged 1 PPG throughout his career? Is that what we expect from Stewart?

I’m just very passionate about us maximizing the very talented players we have while they are here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You mean the guy who averaged 1 PPG throughout his career? Is that what we expect from Stewart?

I’m just very passionate about us maximizing the very talented players we have while they are here.
Please, look into JC's comments and then see how they compare to the playing time he alloted to that player.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Please, look into JC's comments and then see how they compare to the playing time he alloted to that player.
JC talked highly about Charles Okwandu too. He had a tendency to do that with program guys who practiced hard but at the end of the day didn’t have the talent. Then he would dog Star players he feels like had more they could do like Rudy, Ben, and Hasheem. His best players.

Coaches in general do that with scout team guys. Jaylin Stewart is a much better talent than that. It’s a bad comparison for that reason.

Reaction Score
Yes I did man. You know and means both things have to happen to be true right?

I really don’t care if you put me on ignore. I’ll do it for you.

I’d imagine half this board has considered it but the problem is it makes the threads too hard to read because you’re in every one.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I guess the next fact this place will ignore is that Hurley already said he earned the PT in practice.
I'm speaking here only for myself: your guess fails because I haven't ignored what Hurley said.

You would seem to regard Hurley's comment as implying some kind of unfulfilled commitment to play him, which now strikes you as overdue, frustrating, and/or bothersome. That's not my current inference.

I might feel that way some time in the future, but it didn't feel necessary to get wrapped up in that either during after the Seton Hall game. I'd like to have seen him get some run. He didn't

I thought maybe I'd see him yesterday, but Singare was the surprise player, and didn't show up as a mistake. Castle got more room to make mistakes and by game's end show some growth through them.

I'd wished for more Stewart out in Seattle, but I let that go, and I've brought it up here just to be more thoroughly respectful in my response to something that seems to matter a lot to you. And I've done that because I'd want my opinion to receive respectful consideration.

Fwiw, I did see Jaylin cheering from the bench well into the second half, after it was 63-63, when things were close and tense, and the clock was running down. In that particular moment, I was surprised by how youthful his face looked. He'll be 18 for another 6 weeks.

Reaction Score
Then he does the same thing with Stewart… I’m not sure why he would say these things in the first place if he didn’t plan on giving either of them much of a chance when it matters.

You have to give these kids reasonable expectations and goals to hit to have chances to play. If they are doing what you ask of them, as he says, then they should be playing.

I really couldn’t imagine how frustrated I would be if I was doing what was asked of me, coach says I am publicly, but doesn’t act on it despite a clear role for me to play.

That kind of thing could really mess with someone. You have to reward kids when they’re doing what is asked of them.

You don’t have any ______ idea what goes on within this team. You have a completely made up notion of what Calhoun was like that calls into question whether you actually watched those teams play. I get that this is a message board so people kick around ideas but this idea animating every one of your posts that the staff is squandering kids or not developing them or you’ve got a better plan for player development than this staff does is just really, really silly.

Reaction Score
I’d imagine half this board has considered it but the problem is it makes the threads too hard to read because you’re in every one.
Yeah I should have considered that fact before forcing his hand but too late now. I might prefer it this way anyway

Reaction Score
Graphic designers, cement mixers and AAU coaches believing they know better than Dan Hurley how to develop a player is peak boneyard.
Its a discussion board dude, you just want to talk about the weather???

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I enjoy some of your snarks when not directed at me too much to give you the same treatment. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom