Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It seems to me that DH answered the question about playing time in this article. They have got to be playable before they can be good. Then he gets specific. For me Apostolos has to be a concern. Clearly he has had a steep learning curve but after two years of practicing with the team that he would have enough of a grasp of what to do and where to do it, to not be labeled unplayable. I feel for the young man. As he appears to have skills. Along the same lines Stewart and Ross appear to have skills but they are at least in their first year so being behind on certain aspects of the game seems more acceptable. I hope just like DH says that one or two of them figures it out.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Stewie had great minutes this evening! Great for his confidence and great to have another player who can bring additional strength to the lineup!
Yes this was a big night for him. When he came in he could not be a liability it was a big moment. His three looked pure and without hesitation. He battled on the boards. He clearly has a college ready body. He is not going to get pushed around. If he could start giving us 10-12 minutes a game like this while DC is out he will earn a spot in the rotation even after DC returns. I think what we got from Stewart and the continued development of Castle are are two biggest takeaways from this game.

caw

Reaction Score
Yes this was a big night for him. When he came in he could not be a liability it was a big moment. His three looked pure and without hesitation. He battled on the boards. He clearly has a college ready body. He is not going to get pushed around. If he could start giving us 10-12 minutes a game like this while DC is out he will earn a spot in the rotation even after DC returns. I think what we got from Stewart and the continued development of Castle are are two biggest takeaways from this game.

This is the second game in a row I think he has played well, he's going to be good when it clicks for him.

Reaction Score
This is the second game in a row I think he has played well, he's going to be good when it clicks for him.
Yes. He just looks the part. Great physicality, athleticism and looks skilled but it just seems the light hasnt gone on for him on he fits in this system. I could be wrong but i think he evenually because an first team all conference level player and gets drafted in the first round. If it clicks for him this season he makes this team even more formidable than it already is and will be when DC gets back hopefully. Please no more DC injuries! Why cant we have anything nice as a Uconn fan?!!!...oh wait. Nevermind. :D

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He's got so much offensive talent, you can see it. That play where he got the offensive rebound, then made a move to get to the rim was something you can't teach. Once he settles in on the defensive end he's going to really take off and Hurley is going to have a hard time taking him off the floor.

Reaction Score
Great minutes yesterday. Hit a three, got a TOUGH offensive rebound and putback, and didn't make any major mistakes that I could tell. Got beat defensively a couple of times, but most players on our team do lol. Hope he builds on this

Reaction Score
He gave great minutes and will be a big help for spelling Karaban during this stretch when he's going to see minutes at the 5.

Reaction Score
Stew had good minutes but he is still adjusting to the offense. His scoring came on plays where he had a wide open three and a offensive rebound and put back. Basically individual plays. When he gets integrated into the offense by setting a great screen, making the proper cut or assisting for an easy bucket his minutes will climb.

Solo is having some good moments as well and some not so good. It makes me believe that he doesn't fully understand his role, which is not unusual for freshman. It is a tough thing to learn the balance between being aggressive but also waiting for the game to come to you.

Both are providing good and necessary minutes. But both need to make mistakes to learn. It will be interesting to see where they are a month from now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stew had good minutes but he is still adjusting to the offense. His scoring came on plays where he had a wide open three and a offensive rebound and put back. Basically individual plays. When he gets integrated into the offense by setting a great screen, making the proper cut or assisting for an easy bucket his minutes will climb.
Like was mentioned in another thread, he's been making some good cuts. Just hasn't gotten the ball yet.

Reaction Score
Like was mentioned in another thread, he's been making some good cuts. Just hasn't gotten the ball yet.
He has been cutting. But are they at the right time? At the right speed? To the right spots? My guess, and it's just a guess like other speculation, is that if they were good cuts he would be receiving the ball.

Reaction Score
He has been cutting. But are they at the right time? At the right speed? To the right spots? My guess, and it's just a guess like other speculation, is that if they were good cuts he would be receiving the ball.
Yes, he had at least 2 yesterday where he was literally wide open under the basket where his teammates didn't see him/find him

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Totally agree with this take. Stew will continue to adjust to the flow of the offense with more time on the court. He’ll also have more film to digest regarding where and when to cut in different scenarios. Confidence will continue growing as he finds his natural role with this team. It’s easy to tell he’s having to think more than he’s ever had to in terms of what this coaching staff expects from him (and everyone else) on both ends of the court.

The kid oozes natural ability and I agree with the thought that he’ll be an All-Conference level player and First Round NBA draft pick by the time he leaves UConn.

Reaction Score
Has the talent. Starting to figure out what his coach is looking for to stay on the floor. January will be a pivotal month for his insertion into the rotation so he can display that talent. It's coming-You can see it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Thought it was a good sign he got first half minutes. We need him if Singare simply isn’t ready for this level.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how the kid making open cuts could possibly be assumed to be a bad thing.

Anytime you cut and you’re open, that’s the offense. It’s never that complicated. Especially if the offense is based on making any kind of read.

Reaction Score
Thought it was a good sign he got first half minutes. We need him if Singare simply isn’t ready for this level.
I don't think that's even worth saying about Singare TBH, he's here, he is ready. There are just much much better players ahead of him. Singare did a great job against St. Johns and will do his best if called upon again.. Kid will do his job

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how the kid making open cuts could possibly be assumed to be a bad thing.

Anytime you cut and you’re open, that’s the offense. It’s never that complicated. Especially if the offense is based on making any kind of read.

Not what I said.

My guess, and I did say it was a guess not an assumption, is they practice to have the cutter be open at a certain time in a certain place. So it may seem like he is open but..... he isn't where, or when, his teammate expects him to be. Therefore they cannot deliver the ball. We know Hurley is running a pretty complex offense.

It's not a bad thing. It's just not the right thing at the right time. Get it?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not what I said.

My guess, and I did say it was a guess not an assumption, is they practice to have the cutter be open at a certain time in a certain place. So it may seem like he is open but..... he isn't where, or when, his teammate expects him to be. Therefore they cannot deliver the ball. We know Hurley is running a pretty complex offense.

It's not a bad thing. It's just not the right thing at the right time. Get it?
I promise you no offense is ever that complex. And if it ever is that complex to the point where someone making an open cut isn’t ideal, it’s too complex.

What you’re talking about sounds like football. Guys are just missing Stewart, it’s that simple.

Reaction Score
I promise you no offense is ever that complex. And if it ever is that complex to the point where someone making an open cut isn’t ideal, it’s too complex.

What you’re talking about sounds like football. Guys are just missing Stewart, it’s that simple.

So why does Hurley constantly say that the freshman have a hard time picking up his offense because it's complex?

No offense but your disagreement is not with me, it's with Hurley.

Reaction Score
So why does Hurley constantly say that the freshman have a hard time picking up his offense because it's complex?

No offense but your disagreement is not with me, it's with Hurley.
You're making this more complex and trying to galaxy brain something that's not that complicated. A guy cuts to the basket in the halfcourt offense and is wide open, you hit him if the passing window is there, it's that simple.

Reaction Score
J Stew will be fine. I'm sure staff will bring it to the team's attention during film breakdown session of Butler game.

Have you noticed how many buckets that Alex K has gotten in the last few games cutting to hoop/rolling to hoop/filling the lane? J Stew is a smart kid with high BBIQ.. Just has to watch tape on AK's recent success for a blueprint.

Confident he'll have a strong Jan. when we'll need his production and contributions.

Reaction Score
Stewart is listed at 6’7” but he looks bigger then that to me.. he looks like he can handle the big power forwards in the big east.. I see a bright future for him once he gets comfortable playing at this level.. his last two games have been very impressive

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom