Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Developing Jay Stewart in game might be reasonable

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm speaking here only for myself: your guess fails because I haven't ignored what Hurley said.

You would seem to regard Hurley's comment as implying some kind of unfulfilled commitment to play him, which now strikes you as overdue, frustrating, and/or bothersome. That's not my current inference.

I might feel that way some time in the future, but it didn't feel necessary to get wrapped up in that either during after the Seton Hall game. I'd like to have seen him get some run. He didn't

I thought maybe I'd see him yesterday, but Singare was the surprise player, and didn't show up as a mistake. Castle got more room to make mistakes and by game's end show some growth through them.

I'd wished for more Stewart out in Seattle, but I let that go, and I've brought it up here just to be more thoroughly respectful in my response to something that seems to matter a lot to you. And I've done that because I'd want my opinion to receive respectful consideration.

Fwiw, I did see Jaylin cheering from the bench well into the second half, after it was 63-63, when things were close and tense, and the clock was running down. In that particular moment, I was surprised by how youthful his face looked. He'll be 18 for another 6 weeks.
Singare played because it was absolutely necessary for him to play. Hurley had no other choice. Hurley has to give Castle room to make mistakes. He’s a 5 star one and done caliber guy.

But Castle showing up later is exactly why others deserve the same rope, if they are indeed putting in the effort to earn it.

FWIW, no player is ever going to really openly voice his frustration. Not saying there is, I’m just saying if there was we would not know.

I’d give an example of this from elsewhere, but I don’t think anybody really cares lol.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
...Castle showing up later is exactly forms my basis for why others deserve the same rope, if they are indeed putting in the effort to earn it.
It's not an unreasoned or entirely unreasonable point of view, but I'm not at all persuaded that it rises to an "exactly why" status. I'm not even necessarily in agreement that "Castle showing up later" is a dispositive factor, which is a further compromise on your "exactly why" phrasing. I get that it's how you feel and think, but that doesn't hold the weight your giving it.
FWIW, no player is ever going to really openly voice his frustration. Not saying there is, I’m just saying if there was we would not know.
40 years ago, the National Lampoon Radio Hour had a periodic "What if..." segment.The two I remember best were:

What if Napoleon had B52s?
What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly?
I’d give an example of this from elsewhere, but I don’t think anybody really cares lol.
Demonstrating consideration that others might not really care, and regarding that with laughter might be helpful when you keep going back to a well that isn't slaking your thirst.

Reaction Score
Who says he is leaving? Part of the journey is the struggle. Hurley understands that better than anybody. Look at his collegiate history as a player.
No one said he was leaving. Why do you ask?

Reaction Score
What if Napoleon had B52s?

These would be much more prevalent.
IMG_1380.jpeg

Reaction Score
And those people, while very intelligent about the game of basketball, are nowhere near the intelligence of D1 basketball head coaches
Two issues with that statement:
1. We have a great number of geniuses on the Boneyard.
2. You don't have to be a genius to be a great coach but you do have to know how to eliminate the clutter and focus on the most important issues.

Reaction Score
No one said he was leaving. Why do you ask?
AllHusky = Queen Concerned about Mau!

I am concerned I like the kid, I apologize for wanting a kid to stay.
Who says he is leaving? asks AllHusky(again).

Rephrased, why are you CONCERNED he is not going to stay?

Sounds like you are one of those guys who might get in a players head when things aren't going perfect for them. Coaches nightmare, Coach Hurley referred to it in the press conference after the St Johns game.

If a bunch of kids leave a program because the coach doesn't play them or develop them AND the team is losing consistently, then you have a problem. I believe we may have had some of that in the previous regime.

Let the kid get through a season before you start talking about why he might leave.

Reaction Score
Who says he is leaving? asks AllHusky(again).

Rephrased, why are you CONCERNED he is not going to stay?

Sounds like you are one of those guys who might get in a players head when things aren't going perfect for them. Coaches nightmare, Coach Hurley referred to it in the press conference after the St Johns game.

If a bunch of kids leave a program because the coach doesn't play them or develop them AND the team is losing consistently, then you have a problem. I believe we may have had some of that in the previous regime.

Let the kid get through a season before you start talking about why he might leave.

You’ve lost it pal. Coach Hurley referred to me after the St Johns game according to you? Lol I am in a players head because of a post on the Boneyard that you just made into a monster, a “coaches nightmare” as you say?? That’s quite a Christmas Eve party you were at I want some of that you’re smoking:oops:

Reaction Score
You’ve lost it pal. Coach Hurley referred to me after the St Johns game according to you? Lol I am in a players head because of a post on the Boneyard that you just made into a monster, a “coaches nightmare” as you say?? That’s quite a Christmas Eve party you were at I want some of that you’re smoking:oops:
Nah, just love to have fun with the worrywarts. Stewart will or won't, how that happens will remain to be seen. Everyone here is rooting for him and the Huskies.

Reaction Score
You've got to wonder if any of the current or past players ever looked at the BY comments and communicated their feelings to others, about what they thought of the comments on their playability or fit with the team, the criticisms of the coach, the reasons for their getting or not getting more time, or any time on the court. Or, the converse, where they got praise from the postings and felt motivated by it?

Has anyone here ever approached any of the ex-players about this? I am not so sure it would be a good idea to do so with current players.

Reaction Score
Right now, it's more important to the team for Karaban to work through his funk and for Castle to develop his potential than it is for Stewart to get minutes. If Stewart was ready to contribute more than even a struggling Karaban or Castle, he would be on the floor. Until then, his time will come when we have a comfortable lead or Hurley feels its a good match-up for him. He should get plenty of that in January.

Reaction Score
Right now, it's more important to the team for Karaban to work through his funk and for Castle to develop his potential than it is for Stewart to get minutes. If Stewart was ready to contribute more than even a struggling Karaban or Castle, he would be on the floor. Until then, his time will come when we have a comfortable lead or Hurley feels its a good match-up for him. He should get plenty of that in January.

Castle is only missing the perimeter game at this point. If he can get that going and improve overall it will be huge come March.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You've got to wonder if any of the current or past players ever looked at the BY comments and communicated their feelings to others, about what they thought of the comments on their playability or fit with the team, the criticisms of the coach, the reasons for their getting or not getting more time, or any time on the court. Or, the converse, where they got praise from the postings and felt motivated by it?

Has anyone here ever approached any of the ex-players about this? I am not so sure it would be a good idea to do so with current players.
Many Boneyarders post here as though they've never considered these matters.

Others post with seeming or expressed indifference, disinterest, or defiance when certain downside possibilities are pointed out, or when they are questioned about their posts through this lens.

No doubt there are those who have given the matter thought and come to their own private conclusions. That group would likely include posters whose comments give a sense that discretion and restraint have been factored into what they write.

We regularly argue seemingly literal facts, and more often draw too little distinction between feelings, thoughts, and opinions, all the while misclaiming that any one of those three are facts.

Reaction Score
My apologies is this has been said, but I dont have time to ready every post. Stewart should be getting more play for a number of reasons. First, the kid can clearly play. He is a big body and has skills. Second, Alex is clearly injured. If, God forbid, Alex should be gone for a period of time, we would need Stewart badly. And even if he doesn't, Alex's shot is severely compromised so far this year. And third, we are better if on the nights Alex is off, or playing against athletic forwards, because we would have a viable alternative. I will be the first to admit that I do not know anything about Stewart's attitude in practice, or his demeanor with the coaches. But from my couch, yeah I wish he got more PT.

Reaction Score
"We really need to be able to play Jayden (Ross) or Jaylin (Stewart) or Apostolos (Roumoglou). They've got to be playable before they can be good, know what spots to be in, what we're doing on offense. Basketball is complex. There's a lot of responsibilities out there, on the backboards, both ends of the court, scouting. We need at least one of those three guys on the court, if not two of them."

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball jumps back into Big East play vs. DePaul after 'trying to maximize the break'

Reaction Score
"We really need to be able to play Jayden (Ross) or Jaylin (Stewart) or Apostolos (Roumoglou). They've got to be playable before they can be good, know what spots to be in, what we're doing on offense. Basketball is complex. There's a lot of responsibilities out there, on the backboards, both ends of the court, scouting. We need at least one of those three guys on the court, if not two of them."

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball jumps back into Big East play vs. DePaul after 'trying to maximize the break'

I agree and this is (in theory) a great game to let them get game experience without risking the end result

If Castle/Tristen/Cam/Karaban/Samson do their jobs, there should be plenty of low-stakes minutes available to get the other guys in. If it’s a close game, then Hurley will play the established guys more

Reaction Score
DePaul is not really good but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Huskies are a different team without Donovan and will not be running everyone out of the gym automatically. Hopefully, and I’m sure they do, they understand the importance of every possession even versus DePaul. This game will tell us a bit more about who they are coming out of the ‘24 gate.

Reaction Score
I agree and this is (in theory) a great game to let them get game experience without risking the end result

If Castle/Tristen/Cam/Karaban/Samson do their jobs, there should be plenty of low-stakes minutes available to get the other guys in. If it’s a close game, then Hurley will play the established guys more
This also an accountability piece….If our starters underperform, our bench guys won’t develop.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Alternate access:

This pretty much says it all. I agree. I don't want to see Castle at the 4.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He should have received plenty of PT vs the cupcakes in the early season but there his time was limited and blowouts by more than 40 pts seemed to be the goal. What makes you think DH has changed his colors now?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom