DePaul Post-game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tell me before the game that Azzi goes 2-11 and I would have cringed at the outcome.
Best game of year for Dorka and Aaliyah...and in general Nika played under control with good defense and passing.

Entertaining....for sure. Come out Sunday with the same energy and we'll be fine.
I’ve been (not exactly critical) let’s say less enthusiastic about Nika than many this season (and still maintain my position on her starting when everyone gets healthy) but I must say she was really good tonight! I think this was the best I’ve ever seen her play! If she can play like that consistently when everyone is healthy, we will be a pretty tough out! Who would have thought Azzi could score 4 points and we would win by 24!

Reaction Score
54514173-C02C-48F0-B2CA-315DB84144B0.jpeg
It was a great team victory. With the continued absence of Ono, CD and Paige, the rest of the team met the challenge and easily defeated DePaul. Dorka was the most impressive with her game high 22 pts and 8 reb. Aaliyah was close behind with 19 pts and 6 reb. CW continued her excellent offensive performance with 20 pts and 4 ast. Evina looked comfortable contributing another 10 pts while Nika added 9 pts. Both had 5 ast. Although Azzi had an off night shooting, she did gathered 6 reb which helped to give UConn a 47-37 reb advantage, a complete turnaround from the previous game. As the saying goes, individuals may win games but teamwork wins championships. Tonight, UConn showed how good a team it is now and hopefully how great a team it will be in the near future.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I googled "doug bruno retiring" and got nothing. His contract is through 2023-2024 season.
I’ve looked, too, and can’t find anything. I‘m likely confusing him with someone else. My bad.

Reaction Score
Dorka and AE's best game this year although that 17 rebound game Dorka had was right there with it. I'm surprised Dorka had it in her as she looked like she was struggling badly last game but we really needed her tonight and she came up huge. Part of that was that Morrow was playing AE a lot and Dorka had a mismatch on her.

CW real solid again tonight. People think she's inconsistent but she's as consistent as just about anyone on the team not named Paige.

Nika's best game of the year but I still would make her a 5-10 minute per game player as soon as everyone's healthy. She's valuable as a back up and probably future coach. She may end up making a lot of money as a coach someday. Love her effort and intensity.

Personally, I didn't see the great floor game Azzi is reputed to have had tonight. I saw a lot of standing around tonight, very few screens set for her and not that much different in defense. They got past her several times on corner drives to the basket and overall I thought her defense was about what we have seen recently, which is good. I think overall, it was a bad game for her. It seems as though the plan was to be out there to open up spacing for drives, but that created very few shots for her as well. De Paul didn't leave her open and she generally stayed behind the 3 point line, often in the corner. If the plan was for her to be sacrificed to open up the lanes it worked. I don't think that was the plan though.

Solid game by Evina, including lots of things not necessarily easy to see. Great mature, team player.

Overall though, the Tennessee game and tonight's game were mainly won because the other team imploded to a degree. If the other team doesn't make it's 3 pointers and we don't turn it over a lot we probably win. We usually hold our own in shooting percentage and rebounds. Losing their 2nd best scorer was harder for De Paul to overcome as they are not that deep in talent.

We still get beat by a top 10 team unless we get most of Liv, Caroline and Paige back.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A late thought has occurred to me - the passing was much crisper tonight. Dorka, especially, passed the ball with purpose as did her teammates. There were only a couple instances of the dribble-dribble-dribble with no purpose and those moments didn’t seem as long as past games.

That must have been a brutal practice after the loss to ‘Nova but it seems to have been effective

Reaction Score
Really big for players other than Azzi to have a good game. If it took her scoring 25 pts to win, then they would be in the same hole they were in with Paige, relying on somebody else. Shows that playing these games shorthanded has paid off in some regards.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A late thought has occurred to me - the passing was much crisper tonight. Dorka, especially, passed the ball with purpose as did her teammates. There were only a couple instances of the dribble-dribble-dribble with no purpose and those moments didn’t seem as long as past games. That must have been a brutal practice after the loss to ‘Nova but it seems to have been effective
The assist distribution and total tonight was closer to what it was in the TN game.
The key part of this is practice and also simply having time to react. For the Nova game Liv's injury was announced literally right before tip off leaving the team sort of shell shocked. Dorka deservedly won the badass award for this game but this may also have been Nika's best game as a Husky. Nika was very efficient with the basketball (5 assists and only 2 turnover) finally shot a couple of mid range jumpers (made 1 of 2) and was the only UCONN player not to commit a foul tonight.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Let’s Curb The Enthusiasm.Sunday will be tough.Team has to travel to Milwaukee and will be dealing with tired legs.Marquette will make it a physical game.
Marquette has to travel to Milwaukee and will also have tired legs. They lost in overtime tonight at Nova and all 5 starters played 40 minutes or more.

Reaction Score
Although Azzi had a poor shooting night (adjusting to all this new college level defensive attention) she had a really nice floor game. She was the only UConn play I saw that looked for a jersey and boxed out with intention. Once she gets comfortable she's going to draw a lot of charges on defense.

Dorka and Aliyah remembered the previous DePaul game where Morrow looked like Aliyah Boston and bullied them around in the paint. They made it a goal to be the better post duo and they succeeded. They also clearly practiced backcuts passing which worked really well.

Christyn is a different player and whichever WNBA team gets her is going to get a good one. Evina showed flashes of her skillset which is good. Overall very happy that UConn decided that they would never let DePaul get close because one streak being broken is enough for one season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game...was its on Fox?...I couldn't find it

I said after the last game Aaliyah will be ok...after her difficult night after her wonderful Tennessee effort.
We can't expect consistency yet...but tonight, again, a fine game...more of this to come

E seemed to provide a spark whenever she came in...great.

And Dorka (thank goodness not injured) had a wonderful outing

Now, they have to do it again on Sunday.
You’ll never wonder where to find the game if you read my Gameday posts. I try to “tee up“ the game up for the yard. All the facts, figures, news and notes concerning the game. I also include current media articles about UConn and that day’s game. Sunday’s game will be on Fox.

Last edited:

MrT

Reaction Score
I think Doug Bruno summed it up. DePaul is used to coming down court & firing up shots at will. They weren't willing to work hard & find room to shoot. Credit the Husky defense for taking DePaul out of their comfort zone.
Doug Bruno is a class act. He didn't whine or blame any thing "The Ball"or anybody. DePaul had a bad game , it happens. He has a good team going forward. Good luck coach Bruno.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The fun thing about playing DePaul is that you know you will get some time in the open court. I counted three times that Nika found Aaliyah on the run for layups. Most notably, the no look lob pass that even caught Aaliyah by surprise! You guys saw that, right?

Christyn has figured out that no one can stop her when she takes it hard to the basket.

Dorka was amazing. Plueeeze come back next year. And this is the Aaliyah that has to keep showing up.

I like the zone defense! Very active!

Some interesting stats -

We had 6 players with at least 4 rebounds and won the boards 47-37.

5 players with at least 3 assists.

Juhasz and Edwards combined 16-25 from field.

5 players with 9 or more points.

We were 10-20 from three against Villanova and 4-19 tonight. Go figure. But, we were 32-55 or 58% from two, great inside play and some open court hoops. (Still missed too many layups!)

Total team effort.

I would add that I think the refs are allowing more physical play than they did a few years ago.

Last edited:

MrT

Reaction Score
I’ve been (not exactly critical) let’s say less enthusiastic about Nika than many this season (and still maintain my position on her starting when everyone gets healthy) but I must say she was really good tonight! I think this was the best I’ve ever seen her play! If she can play like that consistently when everyone is healthy, we will be a pretty tough out! Who would have thought Azzi could score 4 points and we would win by 24!
Would rather see Nika start and not Azzi when every one his healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom