DePaul Post-game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Villanova is a much better team right now than they were earlier in the season. They should ranked in the low teens IMHO. They had injuries earlier in the season.
Almost lost to Marquette last night.

Reaction Score
Almost lost to Marquette last night.
Marquette is good, they’ve already beaten DePaul and Creighton, but they had no answer for Seagrist, had 42 points in the win.

Reaction Score
I did not expect this level of play from the UConn women against a very good DePaul team. Everyone of these players excelled.

So what happens when Paige, Caroline, and Olivia are well? Call them off of the bench as replacemens? LOL.

Reaction Score
In her few possessions in this game, Piath looked confident. Get her 10 minutes and let the other ladies recover in some of these upcoming games. Let her get a FEEL for an actual game. A minute aint gonna do much. She has come a long way. Good for her.

Reaction Score
You have to love when a pure shooter like Azzi misses all her shots, but doesn't let that affect her defense, passing, or rebounding. So impressive for a freshman!
yes indeed.........if you told me Azzi was only going to score four points in 34 minutes with this line up I would assume UConn lost big time............she simply did not look herself shooting last night but I was pleased with the rest of her performance...........I have a feeling playing all those minutes in the past few games is starting to catch up with her after having been out so long..........

Reaction Score
Yes, but lower teen's good? In the end, if you rely so much on 1 player, that is going to bite you going forward.
They didn’t rely on one player when they beat us the other night. Check out the box score, very balanced scoring with Garson being high scorer. If you look at Villanova’s history, I would not call them a one player team, but that doesn’t mean Seagrist can explode for 42.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
when Edwards plays like this she is so much fun to watch, I said it before, I really believe that Olympic camp while some say it helped her, I really feel that is why she fell behind and chemistry with the other players seemed to not be there. I prefer her over Dorka because of her ability to impose her will on opponents. She has deceiving speed.
Up to now I’ve resisted the notion that her time with Canada’s national team didn’t hurt or retard her maturation over the summer as others here have suggested. It took longer than it should have, but I’ve finally seen the light.

I am now convinced that had she stayed at UConn over the summer and worked with the team, she would have been playing like this beginning with the Arkansas game. IMO, this is the first game that she looked like herself from last year. It was a wonderful thing to behold. We all know the talent and desire is there, it was just having a hard time manifesting itself.

It was fun to see her and Dorka make plays from tip to buzzer when the team really needed them to. She made her bunnies and her free throws, and they limited Morrow to a certain extent holding her to 20 points.

It doesn’t get any easier with our next opponent, Marquette. Since ONO and Ducharme are day to day, we won’t know who is going to be available until the tip. It would be nice to know that we could depend on Christyn, Aaliyah, Dorka and Evina to play for 40 minutes like they did today.

Reaction Score
What a strange ending to the Villanova/ Marquette game. Marquette took a 2 point lead with two seconds left in the game. But they somehow fouled Siegrist with less than a second left in the game. She hit both free throws to tie the game & Villanova won by double digits in OT. Siegrist scored 42 points & was 12 for 12 on free throws
Looking at the play-by-play, Marquette committed a foul after going up 2 prior to the one that sent Siegrest to the line. Two fouls in 2 seconds is pretty tough to do unless they are intentional, I wonder if Marquette miscounted how many fouls they had to give?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think this was a great game for Evina. Every time a DePaul player got the ball in her hands, Evina was right there to slap it loose or deflect it. Her impact won’t show up in the box score but she was big this game.

I see you Evina Westbrook!
I said the same thing to hubby, noticing that the team had very active hands tonight, which was a huge surprise.

Reaction Score
Vilanova played out of their mind. They are not going to shoot that well every night and we had a horrible night. They are good but more like top 35 good. Dorka had a terrible game and Liv wasn't even available. They probably couldn't handle our bigs normally.

Reaction Score
U-Came, U-Saw, U-CONNquered...

How worried were UCONN fans for this game? I would say that most were. No Caroline, no Olivia... Paige still out, Aubrey done for the season... overall I would say this is one of our best games in a long time. Not because we blew anyone out, but DePaul is a really good team. We had a few more days of practice without Liv and Caroline. Maybe that made a world of difference, even tho I'm still mystified why the effort, hustle, and energy vs. Villanova seemed so off compared to this game.

But my point about this being one of our best games in a long while - it was just so nice to see everyone playing well. Off shooting night for Azzi, but our post players DOMINATED. And only 4 TO's thru 3 quarters - that was one of the biggest stats of the night.
  • We know DePaul is really good. They gave us all we could handle last game and then some. We've had numerous games this season where we came out slow, got behind, and either had to mount a comeback, or found the deficit way too much. This game was different and the tone was set early on.
  • I loved that our post players were 7-8 from the FT line. Did NOT love that our guards were 1-3.
  • Our post players came to play!! How awesome was it seeing Dorka and Aaliyah absolutely light up the scoring sheet? Both worked incredibly hard establishing position.
    • Liya 19 hard earned points in the post
    • Dorka 22 points and 2-3 from deep. 8 boards and 4 assists. She's my POG.
  • How did Nika (2) and Christyn (1) and Azzi (1) have more blocks than our post players (2 combined)???!! :eek:
  • 20 assists compared to 10 for DePaul. But Dorka and Liya with 7 between that. Really nice job setting teammates up across the board.
  • Best drive AND steal of the game occurred within 3 seconds of each other. Christyn's drive with the shot clock winding down midway thru Q4 - shake and bake, great drive and layup with her off hand, then Evina stealing the inbound pass and scoring - that was a great moment.
  • Great seeing Amari and Piath get into the game. Wished Piath hit one of those point blank layups tho.
Bottom line, this was a tremendous win IMHO. The defense was really really good. So proud of the hustle and grit of the team.
HOPING FOR BRIDGEPORT! (never thought I would say that)

Reaction Score
That was just mystifying last night. If you were to tell me before the game that Azzi would go 2-11 and 0-7 on 3s I would have said we lose by 15. I just don't think that we have been analyzing the team and our season correctly. We keep on waiting for "the light to go on" or the "wake up call". I think it may just be as simple as having practice time with the players who are actually going to play and putting in a game plan with them,as well as biorhythms and fatigue. In retrospect, Tennessee took a lot out of a 6 man team and they were listless and flat against Nova until the 4th quarter. Last night there was effort, hustle, focus, smarts, and execution of the game plan which was to double Morrow when she got the ball and put it on the ground and to use our height underneath on offense.

I don't think there is a threshold moment or a turning point for this team and the reason is because we don't know from one game to the next who the team is. How can you get there as a team when it never stops changing? Of course, if they play like they did last night and with Liv, Paige and Caroline back, I don't see them losing. But that assumes instant cohesion and who knows what any lineup changes will do and who knows if they will be the same tomorrow in Wisconsin after a plane ride and 3 completely puzzling games at home.

One more thing. Remember the naysayers about the competition in the Big East and then some people like myself saying that the league would upgrade, the play would mimic the rivalry and intensity of the men's games, and that it was a natural fit for them? Believe it or not, we are getting prepared for the Big Dance by this league, clearly not as definitively as in the old Big East, but prepared incrementally nevertheless. I also love the new old rivalries brewing.

So, I don't think you can be certain about how we will play in any given game from here on in. It has not been a straight line up at all. Far from it. In fact, for this season so far, they make the stock market look smooth and predictable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Vilanova played out of their mind. They are not going to shoot that well every night and we had a horrible night. They are good but more like top 35 good. Dorka had a terrible game and Liv wasn't even available. They probably couldn't handle our bigs normally.
I liked what Dorka said in her presser. We let them get comfortable taking the shots they want and are good at and we just don]t do that at UConn.

Also, I liked what she said after the furious comeback. Everyone was pissed we did not play like that earlier (to start) the game). That shows how we could have played.

Reaction Score
Looking at the play-by-play, Marquette committed a foul after going up 2 prior to the one that sent Siegrest to the line. Two fouls in 2 seconds is pretty tough to do unless they are intentional, I wonder if Marquette miscounted how many fouls they had to give?
I thought the same thing. They had a foul to give, but fouled twice in two seconds! I'm looking for a replay for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom