DePaul Post-game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think my unbiased review got lost in the ether. 1. I learned that I know nothing about this team. They played better than I ever imagined without Paige, Caroline and Olivia ( not to mention Aubrey ). 2. Many said how " this was a great learning experience for Fudd" because the team won a big game and didn't need to rely on her scoring a lot of points.."It is true. That happened. And Azzi just played good basketball ( defense, assists, ball handling, rebounding, etc ). But I was shocked how "off" her open shots were. I never imagined that could happen to the player who " drained 25 straight threes on her first day back to practice, after being idle for two months." Did that ever happen to her in high school? 3. I now know why Piath and DeBerry never play. In about 1 minute and 14 seconds, Piath had missed two lay-ups, losing possession in the process, and committed a foul about forty feet away from the ball. And then there was the shot DeBerry took with 29 seconds remaining, which came closer to hitting New Jersey than the basket. On to Marquette...where anything can happen.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Doug Bruno said afterwards that the defense was focused on limiting Azzi, but the price they paid was not being able to double on Edwards or Juhasz. Azzi's mere presence changes the defense and gives other teammates opportunities to score.
Wasn't very good then regarding defense on Azzi, most of her misses she was wide open. An aberration more than likely.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that Aaliyah struggles have anything to do with her time at the Canadian national team. Two main reasons. 1) She had a full preseason. ( Late August- Mid November= 2.5 full months with the UCONN team and emerged from that preseason a stater in what was a very tough position battle against Dorka. 2) Her struggles did not begin in the first game of the season as is widely alleged. She actually played well in the first 2 games against Arkansas and Minnesota shooting 8 of 11.
Aaliyah struggles began in earnest in the USF game were she went scoreless and from that point up until the ND game she was mostly up but also with some notable downs. For example, in the ND game she scored 10 points but failed to grab a rebound in 24 minutes of play. It was after the ND game that things really began to spiral downwards for Aliyah: scoreless against GT, 1 of 6 against UCLA -where she finally lost her starting spot to Dorka. As an alternative to theory to the Canadian Olympic team being to blame, I'd offer that Aliyah was the UCONN player most impacted by the loss of Paige and she is just now figure things out. The Olympics were 6 months ago and it is also noteworthy that Nika (who stayed at UCONN) also began the season struggling but has also turned things around recently.
Mostly agree. But Nika, Azzi and Dorka were hurt to start (and before) the season.

Reaction Score
Villanova is a much better team right now than they were earlier in the season. They should ranked in the low teens IMHO. They had injuries earlier in the season.
Just rewatched the DePaul game. While I agree that Villanova is a better team than most give credit for, they shot lights out. Unlikely to be repeatable. UConn's guards, mainly Nika and at times, Fudd, kept trying to double down low and gave up open jumpers, which Villanova nailed. Was the same reason the previous two games were close. DePaul was almost as open from the outside, just missed the shots. Two points - few teams will shoot as well as Villanova did this one game; in the same sense, would be good for Huskie guards to stop leaving other team's best shooters open to this extreme.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive what a couple days of practice with a known lineup can do. That and Dorka getting her foot right. They just had that look from the start that if we do the things we're supposed to do, we'll be okay. Loved the commitment to 'no fouls' defense and the give Morrow hers and deny everybody else -- Held had a rough night. I don't know if Geno and Chris figured they'd play us as jump shooters but the high post passing (and cutting) was on point. Nika mostly played under control, but she did get bailed out by teammates on a couple of passes to nowhere. Once by Evina and once by Aliyah. Remember when we were counting assists blown for Paige? I'm looking at turnover saves for Nika. No complaints last night though, she had a solid game. People tend to think Geno just recruits who he wants and rolls the ball out, but they looked 'coached up' to me last night.
So if Nika makes some no look passes and they work she gets "bailed out", but if it's Paige there is no bail out? I don't know what Nika has done for you to rag her even when she completes plays with beautiful tosses to players for lay-ups you act like it was someone else that made the play work.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
So if Nika makes some no look passes and they work she gets "bailed out", but if it's Paige there is no bail out? I don't know what Nika has done for you to rag her even when she completes plays with beautiful tosses to players for lay-ups you act like it was someone else that made the play work.
When she makes a beautiful no look pass, I'm as happy as anybody. When she gets herself caught in the lane and throws the ball at a cheerleader on the sideline and Evina runs it down before it goes out of bounds, that's a save. I can see where that might be a bit of a subjective call, but I see what I see. I'm not hating, just trying to counterbalance the people already carving her statue to go next to Sue Birds'.

Reaction Score
I now know why Piath and DeBerry never play. In about 1 minute and 14 seconds, Piath had missed two lay-ups, losing possession in the process, and committed a foul about forty feet away from the ball. And then there was the shot DeBerry took with 29 seconds remaining, which came closer to hitting New Jersey than the basket. On to Marquette...where anything can happen.
Piath certainly looks imposing. But as you say her skill is highly questionable. I know there might be thought "Just give her 10+ minutes" and she'll be okay for March" or "Play her for next year"- but the fact is this team still has title aspirations. They play for seeding. The play for consistency. This is owed to all the players Geno committed to in which he said he is coaching for championships.

Dorka needs minutes. Edwards needs minutes. Liv has been overall their best post player- she needs minutes working with the other 2.
And you can't forget about having Evina play the PF. We got to the FF with her as a PF. UCONN just isn't going to forget about her.

And once Paige, Carolyn and Liv come back we have the core of 9 players. A nine player core should be fine. But leading up to that point, because this team is so far behind in terms of continuity/consistency/familiarity, I can't see Piath getting any run time other than blowouts especially considering as you point out- she struggles mightily offensively. Need more than just a tall player.

Reaction Score
Yes I believe the other one has a last name of Harper. She coaches some team from Knoxville.
I would like to add to this….Also, Walz said that without Azzi (and Paige) the defensive plan is much more simple, i.e. pack it in. So that’s three coaches! Azzi’s impact that won’t show up on the stats but sure changes the game.

Last edited:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm not hating, just trying to counterbalance the people already carving her statue to go next to Sue Birds'.
staue_muhl.jpg

sun

Reaction Score
Piath certainly looks imposing. But as you say her skill is highly questionable. I know there might be thought "Just give her 10+ minutes" and she'll be okay for March" or "Play her for next year"- but the fact is this team still has title aspirations. They play for seeding. The play for consistency. This is owed to all the players Geno committed to in which he said he is coaching for championships.

Dorka needs minutes. Edwards needs minutes. Liv has been overall their best post player- she needs minutes working with the other 2.
And you can't forget about having Evina play the PF. We got to the FF with her as a PF. UCONN just isn't going to forget about her.

And once Paige, Carolyn and Liv come back we have the core of 9 players. A nine player core should be fine. But leading up to that point, because this team is so far behind in terms of continuity/consistency/familiarity, I can't see Piath getting any run time other than blowouts especially considering as you point out- she struggles mightily offensively. Need more than just a tall player.
I know what you mean, but there's 2 sides to every coin.
It might be smart to be able to bring in a bench big for a few minutes during a game to make some fouls instead of the starter making them.
That can help keep the starter out of foul trouble.
Sometimes making some fouls provides an advantage, and not only at the end of the game, but maybe during the 1st half.
It's not like anyone can predict that overtime will occur in advance either, then when someone fouls out there's no choice but to put in a sub which can put UConn at a disadvantage in a "must win" situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika was possessed. Proof. Made a mid-range baseline jumper
Nika is only a sophomore. When the team achieves full strength, incorporating the mid-range jumper into her game on a consistent basis, retaining the zest for hard-nosed defense, and continuing to control her possessions (not making errant passes) on the offensive drives gives the team a solid point guard backing up Paige in the future, with the result that little or no momentum would be lost with her entry into the game.

Reaction Score
I know what you mean, but there's 2 sides to every coin.
It might be smart to be able to bring in a bench big for a few minutes during a game to make some fouls instead of the starter making them.
That can help keep the starter out of foul trouble.
Sometimes making some fouls provides an advantage, and not only at the end of the game, but maybe during the 1st half.
It's not like anyone can predict that overtime will occur in advance either, then when someone fouls out there's no choice but to put in a sub which can put UConn at a disadvantage in a "must win" situation.
Why does UCONN want to foul? They want a free flowing game. They don't want to get into grind basketball. That hasn't been their style over the last 20+ years.

sun

Reaction Score
Why does UCONN want to foul? They want a free flowing game. They don't want to get into grind basketball. That hasn't been their style over the last 20+ years.
Because some teams can score in the paint but can't make foul shots with certainty.
Then fouls are the only way to stop/ slow down the opponents from scoring.
Tournament BB can be a chess match.

If you look at the Arizona UConn box score in the FF, Liv scored 1 point in 21 minutes w/3 fouls, Muhl scored 2 points in 21 minutes w/3 fouls, and AE scored 8 points in 33 minutes w/4 fouls.
UConn lost by 10 points.
You know what happens when players get 4 fouls, they tend to worry about fouling out and don't play as hard.
Even with 3 fouls they can worry about getting their 4th and getting benched.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You should listen to the post game presser with Aaliyah and Dorka. They give lots of credit to Nika for the energy she brings and her ability to run the team. They have confidence in her and that’s all that matters

Some people need to remember Nika is still only a sophomore and one that’s had to sit out several games, too. It’s hard to settle into a rhythm that way

Reaction Score
Before I read anything, I must say a few things. 1. I must concede to not knowing anything about this team or its capabilities, on any given night. The quality of their play, absent DuCharme and Olivia ( again ) was shockingly excellent. 2. I heard several folks saying that this " was really a good lesson for AZZI," because she learned that the team does not have to rely upon her offense to win big games. She can just play solid basketball ( defense, rebounding, bringing the ball up court, assists, etc ) and the team can win. 3. I was surprised, however, to see her so inept on shots when she was open. This is the person who drained 25 straight threes in practice after being injured and idle for two months? Her shot looked as lost as DeBerry's wayward bomb with 29 seconds remaining. 4. I understand why DeBerry and Piath never see the court. In about 1 minute and 14 seconds, Piath had missed two layups, losing possession in the process, and created a foul no where near the ball. And then there was DeBerry's shot from the top of the key...... which somehow managed to make contact with the backboard, but otherwise, was on its was to New Jersey. A very satisfying victory. And now, on to Marquette where anything can happen.
Many new players at UConn, when they first get a minute or two of playing time, look lost & uncoordinated, are completely out of synch on offense & defense, you wonder how they will ever contribute- and then over their years on the team they do develop into competent players and sometimes stars. I'm willing to see what happens with Amari and Piath!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
When she makes a beautiful no look pass, I'm as happy as anybody. When she gets herself caught in the lane and throws the ball at a cheerleader on the sideline and Evina runs it down before it goes out of bounds, that's a save. I can see where that might be a bit of a subjective call, but I see what I see. I'm not hating, just trying to counterbalance the people already carving her statue to go next to Sue Birds'.
Very subjective, the pass mentioned in person in front of me look like itgot where it was intended. The defense had collapsed on her leaving Evina and closer to the top of the key Azzi open

Reaction Score
Before I read anything, I must say a few things. 1. I must concede to not knowing anything about this team or its capabilities, on any given night. The quality of their play, absent DuCharme and Olivia ( again ) was shockingly excellent. 2. I heard several folks saying that this " was really a good lesson for AZZI," because she learned that the team does not have to rely upon her offense to win big games. She can just play solid basketball ( defense, rebounding, bringing the ball up court, assists, etc ) and the team can win. 3. I was surprised, however, to see her so inept on shots when she was open. This is the person who drained 25 straight threes in practice after being injured and idle for two months? Her shot looked as lost as DeBerry's wayward bomb with 29 seconds remaining. 4. I understand why DeBerry and Piath never see the court. In about 1 minute and 14 seconds, Piath had missed two layups, losing possession in the process, and created a foul no where near the ball. And then there was DeBerry's shot from the top of the key...... which somehow managed to make contact with the backboard, but otherwise, was on its was to New Jersey. A very satisfying victory. And now, on to Marquette where anything can happen.
Nika stood aside and fed DeBerry the ball with the intention of her shooting the outside shot-- the reason being that DeBerry, a freshman big, shoots really well in practice and the entire team is hoping and waiting for her to duplicate her practice shooting on the game floor.

Reaction Score
Because some teams can score in the paint but can't make foul shots with certainty.

If you look at the Arizona UConn box score in the FF, Liv scored 1 point in 21 minutes w/3 fouls, Muhl scored 2 points in 21 minutes w/3 fouls, and AE scored 8 points in 33 minutes w/4 fouls.
UConn lost by 10 points.
You know what happens when players get 4 fouls, they tend to worry about fouling out and don't play as hard.

You are talking about the Arizona game and bringing up how many points each player scored. What does that have to do with your original point of bringing in Piath and or DeBerry to foul?

How about just having your better players just play better? What's wrong with playing your best players?

Reaction Score
Great team win. Huge credit to Dorka/Aliyah for tremendous front-court games. Two guard points that stood out to me, echoed by several here on margin:

1. Aside from more disciplined yet still suffocating perimeter defense & playing under control, Nika improved the following issues: not picking up dribble prematurely, driving to hoop, & taking shots in flow of offense aside from wide open 3’s;

2. Azzi’s floor game & defense are incredibly solid, period, let alone for a freshman. She clearly impacted the game even amidst a poor shooting night, which is exactly what Geno harps upon to his players.

Watching last summer’s U19 World Finals, Azzi’s extensive time on floor (seemed to lead team) despite not being among their most prolific scorers spoke volumes about her steadiness, poise, & two-way strength.

Looking ahead to mid/late March, Huskies are absolutely going to need these 4 players at last night’s level (albeit with more typical FG%) to push the best teams for national supremacy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NM would have had 13 assists if the open players hit the 8 shots they missed from spot on passes from NM. two side of the story. NM had a hell of a good game. she never gets tired.

Reaction Score
Yes, Doug announced he would be retiring either just before or just after the beginning of the season. I wish he'd been a little more entertaining in the halftime interview with Maria.
Didn’t realize that. Good coach & class guy. Will be missed.

Re: SNY HT interview, respectfully disagree. Loved his “gym class offense” quip! Seems to share buddy Geno’s penchant for colorful expression to get his point across.

Reaction Score

UConn lost by 10 points.

You know the most telling stat in the Arizona box score? Bueckers taking only 13 shots; that turned out to be the NCAA game Auriemma knew would come at some point where he needed the best player in WCBB to hunt shots and take over. But since she decided to play “her way” all season she had not prepared for that challenge as he had tried all season to get her to do. She also didn’t facilitate all that well with 4 assists and 3 TOs. Having said that though the loss was not on her alone by any means, anymore than the three players you decided to cherry pick; it was a team loss because they seriously underestimated the challenge Arizona presented, evidently coaches and players.
As to your premise of the accumulation of fouls directly affecting the 10 point loss, how is it that Uconn played Arizona dead even in the 2nd half when foul trouble and the effect you think it would have on the players would occur? They were down 10 at the half and that was the final MOV.

Reaction Score
Another gem
Last night, AE chest bumped Juhasz after a 3 point play. LOL... Slender Dorka temporarily lost her breath after the collision. Aaliyah doesn't realize her own size & strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom