Delany in desperate need of New York help | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Delany in desperate need of New York help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disagree with you about UConn's fundamental issues by the way. But then again, I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm talking about redundancy & demographics. I'm under no delusion the B1G selected Rutgers for its fine tradition in athletics. A money grab in the purest sense and nothing more. I'm okay with that. You should be too.
The Big Ten gambled twice with Maryland & Rutgers. I don't think they are going to double down in the enticing but ultimately elusive NYC market. As open-minded as NYC types claim to be, I find them to be extremely provincial. No one can own the NYC market.
This is not a "ha ha" to UConn fans but a "B1G got way to ambitious for their own good" post. As a Rutgers fan, I'll take their Midwestern, Cornfed money & run. They will never accept us as they will never accept you.
I would have rather been accepted into the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about redundancy & demographics. I'm under no delusion the B1G selected Rutgers for its fine tradition in athletics. A money grab in the purest sense and nothing more. I'm okay with that. You should be too.
The Big Ten gambled twice with Maryland & Rutgers. I don't think they are going to double down in the enticing but ultimately elusive NYC market. As open-minded as NYC types claim to be, I find them to be extremely provincial. No one can own the NYC market.
This is not a "ha ha" to UConn fans but a "B1G got way to ambitious for their own good" post. As a Rutgers fan, I'll take their Midwestern, Cornfed money & run. They will never accept us as they will never accept you.
I would have rather been accepted to the ACC.

I agree that the NYC market is not going to pan out for anyone.

NJ might pan out.

But, as I pointed out in another post, the Conn. market is lucrative.

There's no redundancy between Conn. and NJ.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Nicky, what's wrong with Stimpy? He's an ACC guy so of course he's not likely to praise RU or the B1G. But he's certainly not a troll. TRest has good posts too.
WTF? I wasn't aware that this forum has become the Greasetruck. I'll ask buggsy's permission next time I want to point out some facts about Rutgers.

Reaction Score
The beauty of Rutgers football is that anyone can mock it. UConn doesn't need to have a better program to give me the right to point out your lack of notable victories. The original discussion was asking for big athletic victories in Rutgers' history. You want to spin it as UConn football vs. Rutgers football. Because your examples of big victories are all of the underdog pulling the once-a-decade upset. Not of championships, or anything of note. Maybe you're too young to remember Rutgers' only NCAA championship in any sport?

I'm too young. Wasn't following college athletics in 1949. I've also never watched Fencing in my life, not that there is anything wrong with fencing. I'm willing to celebrate the 2009 All-Girl Cheerleading Championship though even though I didn't notice it when it happened. At least that gets a point on the board.

Reaction Score
Their more relevant than you are with your continous trolling of this board with a SOLID anti-RU agenda!People aren't stupid but you are especially about eastern FB!Are you in collaberation with the other obvious TROLL Road Dog?LOL..Why the obsession with RU on a UConn board?Bring it to a B1G board and see how they laugh!

I know this. I'm aware of the Rutgers Princeton football game in 1869. It would have been fun to have attended, but I missed it. I've read plenty of history about Eastern Football. I do commend Yale's Walter Camp for getting the intercollegiate game started on a broad scale in the 1880s. And I commend UVA's William Lambeth for getting 4 quarters put in place, more forward passing, and the ability for players to leave the game and return in 1909. I've learned about the history of the game from then to today. That's why I have no qualms in stating the fact that Rutgers has not been relevant in over half a century in football other than winning a few bowl games. You want to criticize UVA. I'm not claiming NY Market Interest for UVA.

I'm happy to discuss the other Rutgers NCAA championships in other sports with you. All I can find is a 1949 Men's Fencing Championship. Did I miss any? If that's it, we're getting close to 2/3 of a century rather than half.

Reaction Score
A couple of us have been making the case that the real value of Rutgers is in those cable licensing fees. And little else matters.

That being said, we can't understand how Delany will be more successful in NY's DMA than he was in Eastern Pa., when the popularity of PSU has 10x more impact there.

UConn's net market is much smaller than Rutgers, probably something between 3.5m and 4m people. It's big enough, as the state is probably the country's 20th biggest market. When you measure penetration in that market, things become more interesting however. Look at UConn's licensing revenues. They are 2x Rutgers' revs. Then look at what SNY did when it picked up UConn sports. Not only did they jack up fees in the state from $1.65 per month per subscriber to $2.50 per month, but they also were picked up on BASIC cable by all the cable companies. That is a very high level of penetration. When people talk about the northeast being a barren place for college sports, they are overlooking Connecticut, because the combined draw of football, men's and women's basketball is easily quantifiable.

.85 cents per subscriber (1m+ TV sets) x 12 months = $10m. That's just 3rd tier rights.

I do not pretend to have developed as sophisticated understanding of the DMA's or their actual signficance to CR. My macro point is that while we can develop all the evidence in the world to support our candidacy from a purely dollars and sense standpoint right now (and for that matter a market growth stand point as well) these statistics and figures have already been considered by people who get paid to do this, and the news still isn't good.

The New York TV angle, while legit in a vacuum, doesn't hold sufficient water for Delaney to have to do anything. ACC is standing pat, so there is no reason for him to do anything,

Reaction Score
I do not pretend to have developed as sophisticated understanding of the DMA's or their actual signficance to CR. My macro point is that while we can develop all the evidence in the world to support our candidacy from a purely dollars and sense standpoint right now (and for that matter a market growth stand point as well) these statistics and figures have already been considered by people who get paid to do this, and the news still isn't good.

The New York TV angle, while legit in a vacuum, doesn't hold sufficient water for Delaney to have to do anything. ACC is standing pat, so there is no reason for him to do anything,

It's not so simple. You have to take other things into account. UConn was the first choice until BC hissed a fit in 2011. You can bet your butt that Delany has UConn's TV numbers because he is very tight with the IMG people who handle UConn's licensing/tier 3 rights. They know exactly what Uconn is worth. But it doesn't come down to that simply. There are other factors. UConn, for instance, isn't an AAU school. Rutgers is.

Reaction Score
It's not so simple. You have to take other things into account. UConn was the first choice until BC hissed a fit in 2011. You can bet your butt that Delany has UConn's TV numbers because he is very tight with the IMG people who handle UConn's licensing/tier 3 rights. They know exactly what Uconn is worth. But it doesn't come down to that simply. There are other factors. UConn, for instance, isn't an AAU school. Rutgers is.

So, do you think then that if we were an AAU school, we would have an invite in hand, or, as the dummies at the WV pages suggest re: Cinncy and the BIG 12, "an understanding" that we would be in line come 2014 when the BiG opens its TV negotiations.

I watched a bit of College Football this weekend (I did not watch one second of ACC football mind you) and I just don't get the sense how our program, as currently constituted, fits in with the P5. Perhaps the AAC purgatory will give us a chance to get a together. Provided we actually take advantage of that opportunity.

I tried to envision the Penn State Syracuse game though if it were us instead of teh Orange.. do we really think we would have had more than 5-7K there? Wisconsin would have brought 20,000 no problem

Reaction Score
I would have rather been accepted into the ACC.

A money grab in the purest sense and nothing more? The BiG will never accept you? You regret Rutgers was accepted for membership into the B1G?
Rutgers was on the sinking ship that was the former Big East and you were given a life raft to the B1G yet you long for a conference that has never extended nor likely plans to extend you a similar offer? I think the ACC is a great conference but an offer could have been made to Rutgers to join the ACC years and even decades ago but never happened. I do not understand your perspective. I imagine there are a great number of our UConn hosts on this board that would happily take your place while you wait on the offer that you desire from the ACC.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
So, do you think then that if we were an AAU school, we would have an invite in hand, or, as the dummies at the WV pages suggest re: Cinncy and the BIG 12, "an understanding" that we would be in line come 2014 when the BiG opens its TV negotiations.

I watched a bit of College Football this weekend (I did not watch one second of ACC football mind you) and I just don't get the sense how our program, as currently constituted, fits in with the P5. Perhaps the AAC purgatory will give us a chance to get a together. Provided we actually take advantage of that opportunity.

I tried to envision the Penn State Syracuse game though if it were us instead of teh Orange.. do we really think we would have had more than 5-7K there? Wisconsin would have brought 20,000 no problem

The money suggests YES, we'd have a much better chance as an AAU school. UConn pulls in $24.8m in licensing right now. By far the highest of any of the old BE schools. By comparison, Rutgers and Pitt were less than half of that, and Louisville was at $16m. UConn fits in NOW with the ACC; we're not very different than all the other schools that were added. I'd like someone to explain to me where UConn fails in comparison to Cuse, Pitt and Ville. The B1G is another story. That's a much different nut to crack, more difficult since the fundamentals aren't there.

Reaction Score
Did someone really start a topic to bash a television rating on a network that not many people have for a game that started after 10:30pm on a week night and lasted until 3am? And yet still drew numbers that were better than most network television programming at that time?

That's just crazy people.

Reaction Score
Nicky, what's wrong with Stimpy? He's an ACC guy so of course he's not likely to praise RU or the B1G. But he's certainly not a troll. TRest has good posts too.
Maybe I'm mistaken guy but when Stimpy(whose a member of SUfan.com for 2 yrs)started the Temple to the ACC over RU nonsense I found it difficult to trust him and he lost all credibility in my eyes. TRest maybe I was over the top and I intended to edit the comment in his case but had to rush out b4 I had a chance but a few of his posts got the better of me and I see he's continued his snideness?I try to treat everyone with the same respect I give(I know I'm a tad touchy but fair)!Could be just a lack of NE FB knowledge on Stimpy but he seems much to savvy to be that ignorant!What I can't figure is why RU(whose already in) should be denigrated here by an outsider?Go to RU rivals(Stimpy) and hash it out there?He's on everyone elses boards!I'll try to avoid it (Stimpy) for now as he's been rational for awhile on the BY!

Reaction Score
Hey pj,I like you and enjoy your posts but Stimpy knows what our issues are and he's spent more time denigrating RU (most snobbishly)that a guest to a UConn board(I'd accept it from a UConn fan unless its over the top)should!Whats his deal?Temple would have made a better add than RU to the ACC?...I know if he had said UConn instead of RU you would get a peek behind his curtain!TRest I almost edited out of the comment but whats RU bashing going to do to help UConn?Maybe Im a bit testy but I won't abide snideness from people!I don't care or expect praise...just common politeness or say nothing!But your alright with me PJ and I hope I didn't let you down!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My God...I can only imagine the snickering that would occur if fans of Michigan, OSU, Florida, Texas, Bama, LSU, Georgia, OU, Nebraska and USC could watch UConn and Rutgers fans argue about who is worse at football. It's a loser's game gentleman, neither school has much to be proud of on the gridiron. We should be honest about that.

UConn does have two things in its favor: 1. success in other sports, which Rutgers lacks; 2. an excuse that we're new to FBS football, which is starting to wear thin. I went to Kansas for law school and they knew the football team sucked (it actually didn't while I was there), and hell, they've won Orange Bowls and put hall of fame players into the NFL, quite a bit more than UConn or Rutgers has done. Neither UConn nor Rutgers has a snowball's chance in hell of becoming the next Alabama or Michigan. Both schools can and should improve however, as there is nowhere to go but up. At UConn it doesn't matter, as we've joined the elite in basketball and almost nobody can claim elite status in both sports.

pj

Reaction Score
Hey pj,I like you and enjoy your posts but Stimpy knows what our issues are and he's spent more time denigrating RU (most snobbishly)that a guest to a UConn board(I'd accept it from a UConn fan unless its over the top)should!Whats his deal?Temple would have made a better add than RU to the ACC?...I know if he had said UConn instead of RU you would get a peek behind his curtain!TRest I almost edited out of the comment but whats RU bashing going to do to help UConn?Maybe Im a bit testy but I won't abide snideness from people!I don't care or expect praise...just common politeness or say nothing!But your alright with me PJ and I hope I didn't let you down!

Nicky, RU is on top of the world right now, in the B1G and with a football program that's on a roll. Why get uptight when a UVa fan says something negative about RU on a UConn board? Consider it friendly banter.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics in at least half a century. The Big Ten isn't stupid. They know this. All you have to do is listen to Mike Francessa, and it is obvious that there is zero buzz about Rutgers in the New York City market. He takes callers every weekday on the Radio about the NYC sports scene, and he doesn't get enough about Rutgers to get a blip...

Everything you said of course is accurate, but I want to focus on this...

Unless things have changed, Francessa generally does not take calls on anything other than the New York Football Giants, The Yankees, or the Knicks. He loathes hockey and doesn't know a thing about college anything. He'll address scandals, but The Fan caters to the pro fan, minus hockey...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was a win against a nationally prominent, and nationally ranked team (at the time) that has a lopsided history of wins over us.

The last time you beat a nationally ranked team that has a history of OWNING you over the years, may have been a few years ago when you beat us... when we were ranked 24th.

Now THAT is adorable.
I had forgotten about that win. Interesting that it is still a prominent memory for you.

Reaction Score
Everything you said of course is accurate, but I want to focus on this...

Unless things have changed, Francessa generally does not take calls on anything other than the New York Football Giants, The Yankees, or the Knicks. He loathes hockey and doesn't know a thing about college anything. He'll address scandals, but The Fan caters to the pro fan, minus hockey...

Francessa sits in the 1:00 pm prime afternoon spot on the biggest sports talk station in New York. He will talk about what gets ratings to keep his show in that time slot. 25 years ago, Mike Francessa was at the studio desk for CBS television for college football. He follows it and knows it well. The point is that he will talk about what New York sports fans want to talk about. You are correct. He doesn't talk about Rutgers.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Francesca certainly made time for Jim Calhoun.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Francesca certainly made time for Jim Calhoun.

Only because he likes him.
Others include Joe Torre and Bill Parcells.

Francessa sits in the 1:00 pm prime afternoon spot on the biggest sports talk station in New York. He will talk about what gets ratings to keep his show in that time slot. 25 years ago, Mike Francessa was at the studio desk for CBS television for college football. He follows it and knows it well. The point is that he will talk about what New York sports fans want to talk about. You are correct. He doesn't talk about Rutgers.

Ultimately Francessa has control over what direction the show takes. If the caller on line 1 wants to talk about the Rangers and the Caller on Line 2 wants to talk about Yankees Preseason in Tampa, he'll push the button for line 2. Without Mad Dog though I can hardly listen to the FAN, Unless it's Friday during football season. I enjoy his NFL show, but Francessa on his own is so boring, he put himself to sleep.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rancesca-falls-asleep/70000229/1#.UieHBILD-70

Reaction Score
His show caters to an older demographic that more or less only cares about the Yankees.

Using his show as a measuring stick of popularity is weird. Also it seems like each time there's a guest host a Rutgers caller gets in.

He also has Flood on a few times a year, but really ever since we as fans treated him like the crap pile he is at the Louisville game in 2006 when he was at the stadium live he's basically put us on his own personal blacklist.

Reaction Score
A money grab in the purest sense and nothing more? The BiG will never accept you? You regret Rutgers was accepted for membership into the B1G?
Rutgers was on the sinking ship that was the former Big East and you were given a life raft to the B1G yet you long for a conference that has never extended nor likely plans to extend you a similar offer? I think the ACC is a great conference but an offer could have been made to Rutgers to join the ACC years and even decades ago but never happened. I do not understand your perspective. I imagine there are a great number of our UConn hosts on this board that would happily take your place while you wait on the offer that you desire from the ACC.
I've seen his posts before but he doesn't represent the great majority of RU fan's who 93-7 were preferential and identified with the B1G and more particularly PSU as so many Jerseyans "over 1M"(my guesstimate) are 30s/40s Pennsy expats!Our "RU" values are more in line with the B1G too!

Reaction Score
He sleeps through his Yankee bs and never talks CFB"only rarely"!But like most boomers he's behind the times on whats happening under his nose!

Reaction Score
Only because he likes him.
Others include Joe Torre and Bill Parcells.

Ultimately Francessa has control over what direction the show takes. If the caller on line 1 wants to talk about the Rangers and the Caller on Line 2 wants to talk about Yankees Preseason in Tampa, he'll push the button for line 2. Without Mad Dog though I can hardly listen to the FAN, Unless it's Friday during football season. I enjoy his NFL show, but Francessa on his own is so boring, he put himself to sleep.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rancesca-falls-asleep/70000229/1#.UieHBILD-70
Agree NO ONE under 40 cares about his boring show since Mad Dog Russo (who made the show what it is) and I'm 62 yrs old....he's well past it,Mike Francessa!He just got up for another Cola!

Reaction Score
Nicky, RU is on top of the world right now, in the B1G and with a football program that's on a roll. Why get uptight when a UVa fan says something negative about RU on a UConn board? Consider it friendly banter.
OK PJ,if he was a UConn fan I would have understood but I get the feeling with his arrogant anti-RU stance he has an agenda but I'll let it go!Your a good man PJ!Maybe its his association with the 2 years on the SU board they rubbed off on him?He admitted it after I seen his posts there but hopefully hes just a "friendly poster"!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom