Delany in desperate need of New York help | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Delany in desperate need of New York help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many SWC football teams were on probation that season?
Houston and SMU finished as reg season co champs at 6-2. Houston won the tie breaker via its 29-20 head to head victory over SMU. Thus the bowl lineup ended as such.

1. Cotton Bowl B.C. vs. Houston -Jan 1st 85
2. Aloha Bowl SMU -Dec 84
3. Freedom Bowl Texas - Dec 84
4. Bluebonnet Bowl TCU - Dec 84
5. Liberty Arkansas - Dec 84

No team was disqualified from bowl participation due to NCAA probation that season. Houston beat #3 Texas team and a top ten SMU team. Seems pretty legit to me.

Reaction Score
lol.

"...previously unbeaten Penn State."

Holy mother of mercy...a century playing football and the top of their mountain is that magical day when they managed to beat a 2-0 Penn State team. (Of course, five other teams managed to beat PSU that year....turns out they, like Rutgers, finished 5-6.)

That is freaking adorable.

It was a win against a nationally prominent, and nationally ranked team (at the time) that has a lopsided history of wins over us.

The last time you beat a nationally ranked team that has a history of OWNING you over the years, may have been a few years ago when you beat us... when we were ranked 24th.

Now THAT is adorable.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Houston and SMU finished as reg season co champs at 6-2. Houston won the tie breaker via its 29-20 head to head victory over SMU. Thus the bowl lineup ended as such.

1. Cotton Bowl B.C. vs. Houston -Jan 1st 85
2. Aloha Bowl SMU -Dec 84
3. Freedom Bowl Texas - Dec 84
4. Bluebonnet Bowl TCU - Dec 84
5. Liberty Arkansas - Dec 84

No team was disqualified from bowl participation due to NCAA probation that season. Houston beat #3 Texas team and a top ten SMU team. Seems pretty legit to me.

Just hyperbole on my part, I was a fan of that BC team, but Houston was no great shakes. Here's the final AP rankings for 1984:

1. Brigham Young
2. Washington
3. Florida
4. Nebraska
5. Boston College
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8. SMU
9. UCLA
10. USC
11. South Carolina
12. Maryland
13. Ohio State
14. Auburn
15. Louisiana State
16. Iowa
17. Florida State
18. Miami (Fla.)
19. Kentucky
20. Virginia

Looks like SMU was the only team from the SWC that finished in the top 20. BE beat the equivalent of a BE champ that year. The point is, Rutgers sucks.

Reaction Score
Regular season games where you pull the upset? Big whoop. And about once a decade. If you don't know how underwhelming that is, I guess you really are a Rutgers fan.

Please, with your putdowns of Rutgers football. Are UCONN fans ALL too stupid to realizes how dumb they look mocking Rutgers Football, when UCONN football is one of the top 10 worst football programs of all-time...with a historic losing percentage?

At least we've won more games than losing.

UCONN football has been a 100 year running joke of losing.....including right now getting their asses handed to them by a D1aa program.

UCONN football has had more losses than wins, and more losing seasons then winning (Something RU has not had) and you mock someone who at least knows how to win more than lose?

Sheer stupidity.

Reaction Score
Please, with your putdowns of Rutgers football. Are UCONN fans ALL too stupid to realizes how dumb they look mocking Rutgers Football, when UCONN football is one of the top 10 worst football programs of all-time...with a historic losing percentage?

UCONN football has been a 100 year running joke of losing.....including right now getting their asses handed to them by a D1aa program.

UCONN football has had more losses than wins, and more losing seasons then winning (Something RU has not had) and you mock someone who at least knows how to win more than lose?

Sheer stupidity.

Rutgers sports are the perpetual leech of any conference they are in. Rutgers never contributed a penny to the old Big East but leeched payments from the league, stealing money from other programs ever since they joined. They did the same in the new Big East. They are doing the same in the AAC. And they will do the same in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Just hyperbole on my part, I was a fan of that BC team, but Houston was no great shakes. Here's the final AP rankings for 1984:

1. Brigham Young
2. Washington
3. Florida
4. Nebraska
5. Boston College
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8. SMU
9. UCLA
10. USC
11. South Carolina
12. Maryland
13. Ohio State
14. Auburn
15. Louisiana State
16. Iowa
17. Florida State
18. Miami (Fla.)
19. Kentucky
20. Virginia

Looks like SMU was the only team from the SWC that finished in the top 20. BE beat the equivalent of a BE champ that year. The point is, Rutgers sucks.

1. Brigham Young
2. Washington
3. Florida
4. Nebraska
5. Boston College
6. Oklahoma
7. Oklahoma State
8. SMU
9. UCLA
10. USC
11. South Carolina
12. Maryland
13. Ohio State
14. Auburn
15. Louisiana State
16. Iowa
17. Florida State
18. Miami (Fla.)
19. Kentucky
20. Virginia

Houston won at SMU (10-2 #8) beat Texas ranked #3 at the midpoint and lets face it the SWC was still a very good quality football conference overall. Houston earned its spot, they were no pushovers as a bowl opponent as the prior poster alluded to. I am sure you will agree U Conn's 8-4 record and fiesta bowl appearance was was well earned and deserved, but Houston's was not? It does not diminish the accomplishment of the winning team, and no one thought less of Oklahoma because of their opponent's profile. If you feel U Conn was a very good team and deserving of it's bowl slot that year,... regardless of its record heading into the Fiesta Bowl,..... then how is it different than Houston's situation? Sounds like a double standard and cherry picking to me. Thats all I am going to say on the matter, just wanted to voice my opinion.

Reaction Score

Yeah, UConn’s loss to Towson was embarrassing and painful with respect to Conference Realignment; but, some if the pain is diluted by the fact that: E Washington beat #25 Oregon State, ND State upset defending XII champ K State, McNeese St crushed S Florida (impact on their DR hopes?), Easter Illinois owned Iowa State, S Utah edged S Alabama and, of course, Towson handled UConn. Of course, RU should not throw stones living in a glass house.

Let’s see, since 2000 according to Rutgers’s website, RU football has lost the following:

· Loses to D-1A/FC teams or teams in transition from to D-1/FBS: Lost to UConn 19 to 20 in 2001; lost to Villanova 19 to 37 in 2002, lost to New Hampshire 24 to 35 in 2004.

· Losses to BCS associated conference teams (per 2014): lost to Buffalo 11 to 34 in 2002, lost to Tulane 14 to 17 in 2010, lost to Kent State 23 to 35 in 2012.

I am not saying that UConn is any better. Rutgers has history, a rich local recruiting market, and proximity to NYC on its side, throw in AAU status and that is why Rutgers is in the B1G and UConn is not. Note that on field performance is not the reason that Rutgers in in the B1G. Overall, RU would be better off with a local, NCY oriented rival in the B1G like UConn where each flagship school is within driving distance of each other. That would drive-up fan interest, drive ticket sales, get TV attention, and push each school to get better.

Reaction Score
Houston won at SMU (10-2 #8) beat Texas ranked #3 at the midpoint and lets face it the SWC was still a very good quality football conference overall. Houston earned its spot, they were no pushovers as a bowl opponent as the prior poster alluded to. I am sure you will agree U Conn's 8-4 record and fiesta bowl appearance was was well earned and deserved, but Houston's was not? It does not diminish the accomplishment of the winning team, and no one thought less of Oklahoma because of their opponent's profile. If you feel U Conn was a very good team and deserving of it's bowl slot that year,... regardless of its record heading into the Fiesta Bowl,..... then how is it different than Houston's situation? Sounds like a double standard and cherry picking to me. Thats all I am going to say on the matter, just wanted to voice my opinion.

I don't think anyone here thought that UConn was anything other than what it was that year. We were happy to get into a BCS game. But it shouldn't be forgotten that we had a pretty bad QB and they got beat by Temple. Heck, UConn was 3-4 at one point before they finished the season strong. They were overmatched by an Oklahoma team that had come off 4 straight bowl losses, many of them to lesser teams. If Oklahoma had actually lost to UConn in that game, Stoops 3rd loss in a row to a team from a conference without a relationship with a bigtime bowl, his career would have been in danger.

Reaction Score
The problem with UConn's loss to Towson is that we are right now in the middle of the meltdown and haven't begun clawing out of it. There is no telling how this is going to go.

I don't believe Uconn will be hurting recruiting wise since UConn's recruiting profile is still more or less what it always was. Much more concerned about the salaries the AD can pay coaches.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn’s loss to Towson was embarrassing and painful with respect to Conference Realignment; but, some if the pain is diluted by the fact that: E Washington beat #25 Oregon State, ND State upset defending XII champ K State, McNeese St crushed S Florida (impact on their DR hopes?), Easter Illinois owned Iowa State, S Utah edged S Alabama and, of course, Towson handled UConn. Of course, RU should not throw stones living in a glass house.

Let’s see, since 2000 according to Rutgers’s website, RU football has lost the following:

· Loses to D-1A/FC teams or teams in transition from to D-1/FBS: Lost to UConn 19 to 20 in 2001; lost to Villanova 19 to 37 in 2002, lost to New Hampshire 24 to 35 in 2004.

· Losses to BCS associated conference teams (per 2014): lost to Buffalo 11 to 34 in 2002, lost to Tulane 14 to 17 in 2010, lost to Kent State 23 to 35 in 2012.

I am not saying that UConn is any better. Rutgers has history, a rich local recruiting market, and proximity to NYC on its side, throw in AAU status and that is why Rutgers is in the B1G and UConn is not. Note that on field performance is not the reason that Rutgers in in the B1G. Overall, RU would be better off with a local, NCY oriented rival in the B1G like UConn where each flagship school is within driving distance of each other. That would drive-up fan interest, drive ticket sales, get TV attention, and push each school to get better.

What's going to make or break Rutgers will be how they perform in the Big 10 Eastern Division while playing Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every year. If they can hold their own and out perform the likes of Indiana, Maryland and Michigan State, they will be fine. If not, well . . . use your imagination.

I will say this about Rutgers, they are currently recruiting well. They are ranked 3rd in Big10 behind Michigan and OSU. Now their class is about full so there isn't much room for growth, but they have several four star recruits in their class. I would say they are using entrance into the Big 10 well, better than UMD is, IMO.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone here thought that UConn was anything other than what it was that year. We were happy to get into a BCS game. But it shouldn't be forgotten that we had a pretty bad QB and they got beat by Temple. Heck, UConn was 3-4 at one point before they finished the season strong. They were overmatched by an Oklahoma team that had come off 4 straight bowl losses, many of them to lesser teams. If Oklahoma had actually lost to UConn in that game, Stoops 3rd loss in a row to a team from a conference without a relationship with a bigtime bowl, his career would have been in danger.
U Conn EARNED the right to play, just as Houston did. Oklahoma beat U Conn as it was supposed to, just as B.C. beat Houston as it was supposed to. My point it does not make the victory any less impressive, they did what they were supposed to do in a big way.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Sheer stupidity.
The beauty of Rutgers football is that anyone can mock it. UConn doesn't need to have a better program to give me the right to point out your lack of notable victories. The original discussion was asking for big athletic victories in Rutgers' history. You want to spin it as UConn football vs. Rutgers football. Because your examples of big victories are all of the underdog pulling the once-a-decade upset. Not of championships, or anything of note. Maybe you're too young to remember Rutgers' only NCAA championship in any sport?

Reaction Score
The problem with UConn's loss to Towson is that we are right now in the middle of the meltdown and haven't begun clawing out of it. There is no telling how this is going to go.

I don't believe Uconn will be hurting recruiting wise since UConn's recruiting profile is still more or less what it always was. Much more concerned about the salaries the AD can pay coaches.
Count PP is sucking the life out of U Conn football like Frankenspaz.... who strangled B.C. to death. These two coaches are so much alike its frightening! No energy or enthusiasm, horrible coaching in most aspects, from hiring to recruiting to game day play calling. Grab your torches and head to the castle kids, these two coaches style's are Transylvania circa 1800's better get rid of him asap. Frankenspaz was driven away and resurfaced as a def. coach at New Mexico State ( 56-7L this past wknd) I am sure there is room for Count PP there as well. Let them join forces, cast away to wander the desert, terrorizing the fans of NMSU.

Reaction Score
Count PP is sucking the life out of U Conn football like Frankenspaz.... who strangled B.C. to death. These two coaches are so much alike its frightening! No energy or enthusiasm, horrible coaching in most aspects, from hiring to recruiting to game day play calling. Grab your torches and head to the castle kids, these two coaches style's are Transylvania circa 1800's better get rid of him asap. Frankenspaz was driven away and resurfaced as a def. coach at New Mexico State ( 56-7L this past wknd) I am sure there is room for Count PP there as well. Let them join forces, cast away to wander the desert, terrorizing the fans of NMSU.

Yep, it's pretty bad. He took over a team coming off a Fiesta Bowl. His first team in 2011 had the following kids on the roster:

Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Kashif Moore
Sio Moore
Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wreh Wilson
Nick Williams
Trevardo Williams
Blidi Wreh-Wilson

These kids are right now on NFL rosters. Not training camp invitees, they actually are currently being paid by NL teams AFTER the league-wide cutdown.

How on earth can you have 9 NFL players on your team and underachieve?

I need the Hartford Courant writers to explain to us again how Randy Edsall left the cupboard bare?

I haven't even included in this list NFL camp guys like Mike Smith with the Texans, or solid players like Ryan Wirth, Dave Teggart, John Delahunt, Mike Ryan, Jory Johnson, Yawin Smallwood, Isaiah Moore, Adam Masters, Twyon Martin, Geremy Davis, etc.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's pretty bad. He took over a team coming off a Fiesta Bowl. His first team in 2011 had the following kids on the roster:

Dwayne Gratz
Ryan Griffin
Kashif Moore
Sio Moore
Kendall Reyes
Blidi Wreh Wilson
Nick Williams
Trevardo Williams
Blidi Wreh-Wilson

These kids are right now on NFL rosters. Not training camp invitees, they actually are currently being paid by NL teams AFTER the league-wide cutdown.

How on earth can you have 9 NFL players on your team and underachieve?

I need the Hartford Courant writers to explain to us again how Randy Edsall left the cupboard bare?

I haven't even included in this list NFL camp guys like Mike Smith with the Texans, or solid players like Ryan Wirth, Dave Teggart, John Delahunt, Mike Ryan, Jory Johnson, Yawin Smallwood, Isaiah Moore, Adam Masters, Twyon Martin, Geremy Davis, etc.
It makes one wonder............hell with those pieces you should have been in a very good bowl. Every year he remains means that much more time plus some to rebuild. Once recruiting drys up it becomes a crisis, that is in fact the life blood of the program as I am sure you know. The kids did not buy into Spaz and they are not buying into PP. They are like watching paint dry! lifeless, boring, dull.

Reaction Score
The beauty of Rutgers football is that anyone can mock it. UConn doesn't need to have a better program to give me the right to point out your lack of notable victories. The original discussion was asking for big athletic victories in Rutgers' history. You want to spin it as UConn football vs. Rutgers football. Because your examples of big victories are all of the underdog pulling the once-a-decade upset. Not of championships, or anything of note. Maybe you're too young to remember Rutgers' only NCAA championship in any sport?

RU had more notable victories in one year (Penn State, Michigan State, Boston College) than UCONN has had in over 100 years of football.

I'm not too young to realize that.

I gave you half a dozen victories RU had....that UCONN can only wish they had on their resume.

UCONN has just an atrocious football history, and most UCONN fans are too ignorant to even know just how bad their history is.

UCONN All-time record, 482–504–38 (.489).

WOW, that's sad.

Reaction Score
RU had more notable victories in one year (Penn State, Michigan State, Boston College) than UCONN has had in over 100 years of football.

I'm not too young to realize that.

I gave you half a dozen victories RU had....that UCONN can only wish they had on their resume.

UCONN has just an atrocious football history, and most UCONN fans are too ignorant to even know just how bad their history is.

UCONN All-time record, 482–504–38 (.489).

WOW, that's sad.

UConn started in D1 only a decade or so ago, but Notre Dame, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland are victories that are at least the equivalent of what you posted. AT LEAST.

Reaction Score
Correct. And the Big Ten has basically said this. Secondarily there may be some Federally Granted Research that Rutgers is doing that some of the Big Ten schools want to collaborate with. Rutgers is AAU.

Rutgers has not been relevant in college athletics in at least half a century. The Big Ten isn't stupid. They know this. All you have to do is listen to Mike Francessa, and it is obvious that there is zero buzz about Rutgers in the New York City market. He takes callers every weekday on the Radio about the NYC sports scene, and he doesn't get enough about Rutgers to get a blip.

Geographically Rutgers gets the Big Ten into that geographic area, and the Big Ten is hoping to leverage that geographic access to get their network on television to watch their traditional powers. They have no other expectation from Rutgers athletics. Rutgers fans may think differently. The Big Ten does not.

UConn would at least add to Big Ten Basketball, but the AAU thing is apparently very important to the Big Ten.

We've debated this for a couple of months now. With these numbers from TV viewers, and they will continue, you can see with the documented evidence. What will be interesting is how Michigan and Ohio State numbers are affected going forward.
Their more relevant than you are with your continous trolling of this board with a SOLID anti-RU agenda!People aren't stupid but you are especially about eastern FB!Are you in collaberation with the other obvious TROLL Road Dog?LOL..Why the obsession with RU on a UConn board?Bring it to a B1G board and see how they laugh!

Reaction Score
Rutgers sports are the perpetual leech of any conference they are in. Rutgers never contributed a penny to the old Big East but leeched payments from the league, stealing money from other programs ever since they joined. They did the same in the new Big East. They are doing the same in the AAC. And they will do the same in the B1G.
Foolish boy.....thinks he knows more than the B1G's high priced Wall St research firms and still whining about RU even though we all know your a trolling BC fan!!Doesn't school start this week?I wish you well in 3rd grade!

Reaction Score

Sheer stupidity.
Bugssy,don't associate TRest,Road Dog or Stimpy with UConn fans as they all seem to have an anti-RU agenda instead of UConn's best interest's on their mind on the UConn board!Follow there posts and you'll pull open there curtain!The real Uconn fans are too intelligent to buy their BS and we can't indulge these fools on the BY board as events speak louder than troll's (Road dog+Stimpy for sure)!RU envy means we've finally arrived!

pj

Reaction Score
Bugssy,don't associate TRest,Road Dog or Stimpy with UConn fans as they all seem to have an anti-RU agenda instead of UConn's best interest's on their mind on the UConn board!Follow there posts and you'll pull open there curtain!The real Uconn fans are too intelligent to buy their BS and we can't indulge these fools on the BY board as events speak louder than troll's (Road dog+Stimpy for sure)!RU envy means we've finally arrived!

Nicky, what's wrong with Stimpy? He's an ACC guy so of course he's not likely to praise RU or the B1G. But he's certainly not a troll. TRest has good posts too.

Reaction Score
Doesn't that make your current & future circumstances all the more pathetic? Rutgers has not historically invested in athletics (save the last 10 years in football) & they still get the nod over UConn. Seems to me you have a fundamental issue basketball championships can never solve.

Reaction Score
As for the OP...Delaney is not desperate for anything. He is going to watch and see what the next few years looks like once Rutgers is in the fold. Penn State Rutgers will sell out the Meadowlands, and he will be happy..

Reaction Score
Doesn't that make your current & future circumstances all the more pathetic? Rutgers has not historically invested in athletics (save the last 10 years in football) & they still get the nod over UConn. Seems to me you have a fundamental issue basketball championships can never solve.

He said UConn doesn't have a better program. Did you miss that part of his posts?

I disagree with you about UConn's fundamental issues by the way. But then again, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
As for the OP...Delaney is not desperate for anything. He is going to watch and see what the next few years looks like once Rutgers is in the fold. Penn State Rutgers will sell out the Meadowlands, and he will be happy..

A couple of us have been making the case that the real value of Rutgers is in those cable licensing fees. And little else matters.

That being said, we can't understand how Delany will be more successful in NY's DMA than he was in Eastern Pa., when the popularity of PSU has 10x more impact there.

UConn's net market is much smaller than Rutgers, probably something between 3.5m and 4m people. It's big enough, as the state is probably the country's 20th biggest market. When you measure penetration in that market, things become more interesting however. Look at UConn's licensing revenues. They are 2x Rutgers' revs. Then look at what SNY did when it picked up UConn sports. Not only did they jack up fees in the state from $1.65 per month per subscriber to $2.50 per month, but they also were picked up on BASIC cable by all the cable companies. That is a very high level of penetration. When people talk about the northeast being a barren place for college sports, they are overlooking Connecticut, because the combined draw of football, men's and women's basketball is easily quantifiable.

.85 cents per subscriber (1m+ TV sets) x 12 months = $10m. That's just 3rd tier rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom