Delany in desperate need of New York help | The Boneyard

Delany in desperate need of New York help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/stevelepore
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 2h
New York remains as apathetic to college football as ever. USC-NC: 1.1, Vandy-Ole Miss: 0.8, Rutgers-Fresno State: 0.6.
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More
8:59 AM - 30 Aug 13 · Details

While what happened last night is a program-changing experience, long run the Big Ten needs UCONN content for the NY market.

Rutgers basketball is nonexistent in New York.

Ratings like this should be sending shudders down Delany's spine. While UCONN football is in the biggest crisis of its FBS life, so long as structural changes are made, UCONN football will improve. Basketball, both men's and women's, is the only boost that Delany can get for New York.

Given the CBS/Time Warner dispute, the FS1 dispute, I don't see how Delany comes into cable meetings without being laughed at with Rutgers as leverage- even for NJ, much less NY.

Reaction Score
The Rutgers game was played out in California - I think it ran 11pm - 3am EST so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Reaction Score
A .6 is disasterous for a slot at 10:30 pm. This is Rutgers' home market. We're not talking folks down in Florida.

The Rutgers game was played out in California - I think it ran 11pm - 3am EST so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Reaction Score
A .6 is disasterous for a slot at 10:30 pm. This is Rutgers' home market. We're not talking folks down in Florida.

Show me some comparables - you might be right but it's hard for me to imagine a casual fan staying up until 3am on a weekday to watch a college game.

Reaction Score
Show me some comparables - you might be right but it's hard for me to imagine a casual fan staying up until 3am on a weekday to watch a college game.

I would like to see comparables also. A Thursday night ESPNU game that started at 10:30 & finished at 3:00 am regardless of who is playing is not drawing much more than that

Reaction Score
I would like to see comparables also. A Thursday night ESPNU game that started at 10:30 & finished at 3:00 am regardless of who is playing is not drawing much more than that

Agreed ... if this game had ratings potential it wouldn't have been placed in that time slot.

Reaction Score
You're still missing the point.

The B1G doesn't care how many fans Rutgers delivers to the conference (which, for all intents and purposes, is zero). The B1G cares that Rutgers delivers the conference to the NYC market.

Every OSU, Michigan, Penn St. and Michigan St. game will be broadcasted in the tristate area starting next season. The B1G is essentially just using Rutgers as a medium to market it's big names.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The B1G doesn't care how many fans Rutgers delivers to the conference (which, for all intents and purposes, is zero). The B1G cares that Rutgers delivers the conference to the NYC market.

Every OSU, Michigan, Penn St. and Michigan St. game will be broadcasted in the tristate area starting next season. The B1G is essentially just using Rutgers as a medium to market it's big names.
By that logic, adding UConn and alternating home and away with RU guarantees these teams a NYC area game annually.

Reaction Score
Not missing the point at all.

The Big Ten Network is already distributed in new york, NJ and CT. The BTN has been available in the city since 2008. So every week those teams you mention are already on.

The BTN wants/hopes/expects cable to pay more for the channel with the addition of Rutgers.

Reaction Score
New York bars close at 4 am. People are awake in the city that never sleeps.

If it's just the bars that were airing it then that would explain the numbers, actually ;)

Reaction Score
If it's just the bars that were airing it then that would explain the numbers, actually ;)

Bunch of insomniacs in that town.

Then again, no other city has soft core ads on basic cable, so that might be siphoning interest from Rutgers football.

Reaction Score

Not so bad when you compare

Comparables in NYC market
11:35-12:35
NBC "Tonight" 0.7
CBS "Late Show" 0.5
ABC "Kimmel" 0.6

12:35-1:05
ABC "Nightline" 0.4

12:35-1:35
NBC "Late Night" 0.5
CBS "Late Late Show" 0.3

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
New York bars close at 4 am. People are awake in the city that never sleeps.

That rating sucked ass.

NYC does not care about Rutgers' athletics - and never has.

The Big Ten is trying to sell itself to the NYC market.... I trust they're smart enough to understand what Rutgers is and what they ain't.

Reaction Score

Rutgers home market is NJ, not NY. regardless, the NY and NJ markets are pro sport markets. They could care less of a second rate program like Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Rutgers home market is NJ, not NY. regardless, the NY and NJ markets are pro sport markets. They could care less of a second rate program like Rutgers.
And your 1st rate?Clown!!Quit crying over spilt milk!!RU is B1G already and theres nothing to do but learn to deal with it!

Reaction Score
And your 1st rate?Clown!!Quit crying over spilt milk!!RU is B1G already and theres nothing to do but learn to deal with it!

Don't you mean "you're" or " you are"? Obviously YOU'RE a second rate Rutgers grad or fan.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B1G is selling the BTN to NYC not RU. RU is a vehicle to get their product in front of a large chunk of their alumni.

They don't need Alabama level TV ratings to make this work. A west coast game against Fresno isn't a proper.measure.

When the BTN game featuring RU vs Wisconsin pulls a 0.6, that will be a problem....that a certain State U in New England can help them with.

Reaction Score
Don't you mean "you're" or " you are"? Obviously YOU'RE second rate Rutgers grad or fan.
I only formally went to the 9th grade and went into the Corps during the VN War(conflict) and stayed in for 8 years,got my GED and scored 1410 on my SAT before going to CC and receiving my associates degree at 31!Does that answer your question?Never spent a second at RU...just a matter of state pride with me!

Reaction Score
No problem - it is easy to correct basic stupidity.
7 posts and added nothing yet to the site of anything showing intelligence but wisecracks?Is this all you have or are you doing to keep posting garbage?I won't respond if this is all you have to offer (grammer lessons) on a blog where there not required!

Reaction Score

Rutgers' home market is the NYC market. There is no NJ market, Einstein. The NYC market covers North Jersey while the Philly market covers South Jersey.

And hilarious how you rip someone for grammar, then incorrectly say "They could care less..." when the correct term is "couldn't care less."

I see you must be a second rate UCONN fan based on your intellect, right?

Reaction Score
Rutgers' home market is the NYC market. There is no NJ market, Einstein. The NYC market covers North Jersey while the Philly market covers South Jersey.

And hilarious how you rip someone for grammar, then incorrectly say "They could care less..." when the correct term is "couldn't care less."

I see you must be a second rate UCONN fan based on your intellect, right?
Hey Buggsy,I doubt he's a UConn fan he knows nothing about the area and "he ain't got no class" lol thanks for the support these ACC trolls are worse than bedbugs here!

Reaction Score

Exactly.
And local alums will surely bring big crowds to RU games, necessitating some get moved to MetLife stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom