Defense/Crocker | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

Reaction Score
it's just a bunch of sad old men who are afraid they'll die before they see a good uconn football team again.
I’m not old and I will be sitting in my seats when UConn wins again unless of course some crazy accident takes place, I die at work or I get WTC Cancer

Reaction Score
These guys sound silly. They don’t use their brains.

Edsall said it today, “The personal does not fit our defense.” We have to recruit the players and that will take time. We don’t even have the depth to run any other defense. People need to stop comparing the offense to the defense. Period. Be patient. This is a rebuilding year for the TEAM.
if the offense sucked no one would be talking about the defense. they're just spoiled with no reason to be so

Reaction Score
or you set yourself up to succeed when you have the players that fit your scheme? but let's just hamper the 7 freshman playing on defense so we might win one more game this season
The freshman are not good football players and are not getting better. It's not a speed issue. They have speed. They say you can't coach speed. But, it's also true you can't coach fundamental football instincts. These guys can't tackle. They have no field awareness, don't anticipate and break on balls, and rarely turn to find the ball. So, I wouldn't throw away a season for a group that shows little appitude. None have shown any reason to bank on next year. You play the game to win the games at hand.

Reaction Score
The freshman are not good football players and are not getting better. It's not a speed issue. They have speed. They say you can't coach speed. But, it's also true you can't coach fundamental football instincts. These guys can't tackle. They have no field awareness, don't anticipate and break on balls, and rarely turn to find the ball. So, I wouldn't throw away a season for a group that shows little appitude. None have shown any reason to bank on next year. You play the game to win the games at hand.
How would you like to run a 4-3 right now? seriously explain the 4 down lineman and 3lb's against 5WR sets. We don't have the players to run anything at all.

Reaction Score
why do you watch football if you know nothing about it?
You have to be kidding me with this post..as a matter of fact I welcome you to my tailgate and you can enlighten my friends 3 of who were former co captains at UConn about how I don’t know anything about football. This will be fun to watch...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

We don't need someone to blame. We just need the D to get to a level to keep us in the game.

Diggs had a couple of really nice plays tonight and I called his name out a couple of times for it. He's trying to take the heat off of others, and I respect him for it...

Reaction Score
Look, I'll be the first one to tell you that losing our three best DBs from last year is brutal for us. We're playing converted RBs back there (like McCallister). If Edsall is saying emphatically that the 3-3-5 is really the only thing he can do with this roster because of so few down lineman, I understand.

What I'm not about to believe is that there aren't adjustments to be made within the system that could help. Like when we brought extra pressure, it was a little more successful (not much, but a little). How about the large distance we play off of the receivers on that same damned bubble screen every game?

I'm just going to go to bed with the belief that Edsall is going to have this very same conversation with Crocker behind the scenes this week...

What leads you to believe that adjustments haven’t been made? The defense just needs the personal. No matter what we do the defense needs a bit more time. Edsall said it himself.

C

Chief00

My bet....lashlee was Benedict's idea.....Crocker was edsalls....Benedict looks good....edsall looks the fool hence the stubbornness not to change/adjust

Pretty insightful.

C

Chief00

No I sit on the other side of the field in the upper deck. @huskymedic can vouch for me being in my seat till game ended.

It’s what I thought but did not say. Billy isn’t getting it done, and that’s obvious. We lack talent but have we had a turnover all year?

Why do we not even contest passes? The scheme creates stationary guys who have guys running full speed by them.

The scheme leaves open crossing routes and our corners don’t know where the out of bounds is.

We have three linemen, two of which get doubled teamed and our blitzes are just not thought out.

Crocker is on the clock.

Reaction Score
Way back on this thread ...

Someone said: we can't tackle. Now the DBs coverage etc etc. However ... the we can't tackle is obviously true and not fully attributable to the Defensive coaches getting paid today on Edsalls staff.

Hopeless? Nah. Not really. DiscoDiaco was hopeless. This is a rung up

Reaction Score
What leads you to believe that adjustments haven’t been made? The defense just needs the personal. No matter what we do the defense needs a bit more time. Edsall said it himself.

The best thing the defense can do is use up their eligibilty so that scholarships are available for better talent. Hate, hate, hate putting this on players when they are down, but the fans aren't in a position to make a sack (how rare are those), they are not in position to shut down receivers (at least some of the time). Bottom line, the need to produce or suffer the ridicule.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My only hope is knowing Edsall knows what is going on behind the scenes and is okay with the defensive schemes and personnel.

This defense is weak physically, slow and has bad instincts in finding the ball.

Most of think more pressure on the QB is the solution. I don't know what defender is capable of doing that.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, even casual fans know UConn's struggling D had at least 2 INTs this season. Edit: Well, 1 INT and 1 fumble recovery. ;) Thanks @FDNY99.

Rough game. Onward, and upward. Go Huskies, beat Temple!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the most telling part of that conference to me was that he doesn't have the players to play that style of wide open football. Most of the teams are in the south predicated on speed and elusivenes, whereas Diaco recruited the plodding run through the middle type players almost like Army. that doesn't work in the AAC. Memphis,Houston,UCF,USF,SMU and even East Carolina are southern schools that rely on speed and quickness. UCONN has been saddled with larger but slower players that have hard time with more athletic lineman. Diaco did not recruit the RKOG for the conference. He recruited what he thought to be a winning formula that left HCRE with the mess we have now.

Reaction Score
Log off and take a break.

What do you mean log off and take a break. He's right. Edsall came in here all confident he was going turn this program around in his first year back. No way. His overall record show nothing but mediocrity.

Reaction Score
70 points and 700+ yards. But other than that... :rolleyes:

That doesn’t imply adjustments hasn’t been made. Those stats is telling you what you’ve been watching the past few weeks, and what Edsall said. 1.) we do NOT have the personal to run this defense 2.) we do not have the depth to run any other defense 3.) we are playing FRs 4.) we are simply not AS TALENTED as the offensive side of the ball. We sucked so bad on offense for years and Diaco got caught up with recruiting that side of the ball better than the D side. The last few years we had non experienced coaches running the O and that’s why you see a turnaround with Lashlee who is a true OC. Those stats show nothing that indicates we haven’t been making adjustments. Crocker IS a true DC and he has proven that before. Give him time. It’s not fair to ask for his head after FOUR games with what’s obviously going wrong with the D, as I listed above. You guys sound ridiculous comparing the offense to the defense.

Reaction Score
70 points and 700 yards. Crocker shares much of the blame but you don't give up numbers like that unless the talent is bad. Our secondary and LBs cant cover anyone and making matters worse they make a ton of mental mistakes. Our Dline can't produce a pass rush. We need upgrades in talent all over the defense.
As an example and not to blame, I think people should follow a Marshe Terry when looking at the replay of this game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me stipulate that A) I was lukewarm on bringing Edsall back, and B) I don't like the 3-3-5 for UConn because I think DT is actually a position UConn can recruit in the northeast. Despite that, I think we got to give the new defense some time before we make any final judgments. It will be ugly any time there is a major scheme overhaul on offense or defense. The assignments are different and there will be growing pains.

Reaction Score
Let me stipulate that A) I was lukewarm on bringing Edsall back, and B) I don't like the 3-3-5 for UConn because I think DT is actually a position UConn can recruit in the northeast. Despite that, I think we got to give the new defense some time before we make any final judgments. It will be ugly any time there is a major scheme overhaul on offense or defense. The assignments are different and there will be growing pains.
If we are giving it time, get all the lousy upperclassmen out of the starting lineup and give these freshmen playing time and experience...no need to have bell or summers out there if they can't cover as it is, put an underclassman in and see what you have.....they are the ones that will be here next season playing in this crappy defense

Reaction Score
My perspective: There will be growing pains until HCRE recruits personnel to fit this scheme. I have no problem with that. What confounds me is allowing wide receivers a 7-10 yard cushion off of the line of scrimmage, thereby virtually allowing a minimum of a 5 yard completion as a matter of course.
Diaco left this team barren of talent, that's a given. It's going to be ugly until players are recruited who are talented enough to play at this level.
As an aside, any prospective recruit can plainly see that if HCRE & company are interested in his services, there's playing time to be had immediately. FWIW

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom