Defense/Crocker | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

Reaction Score
So, then you adapt, right?

How about an analogy?

You pull up to a stoplight in a Yugo. A guy pulls alongside you with a Corvette. He challenges you to a race. Out of foolish pride, you accept the challenge. Naturally, You get smoked.

"He's got more power!" You say. "Let's take it to a tight curvy road!" You say, thinking your little car can stand a chance there vs. his big heavy muscle car. Alas, you get smoked again. Turns out Corvettes also have pretty good suspension and tires for that race environment, too.

Get it?

Reaction Score
i have watched a lot of football over the years from high school to college to the NFL and I can’t ever remember seeing a worse defensive team. Bad games or mismatches, sure but a season long mess like this? Never. Early in the year I thought it was an adjustment problem, but it is clear now that nearly everything is bad. The scheme and the personnel are a mismatch. The players lack fundamentals, speed and strength as a whole. We have guys playing full time who wouldn’t make the 2-deep on a 1AA team. That 3 for Memphis made a few great catches. I think it was the second score was a beautiful play. But on 2 others he was covered and the corner never looked at either the ball or the sideline so he couldn’t use either to make a play. Awful.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That doesn’t imply adjustments hasn’t been made. Those stats is telling you what you’ve been watching the past few weeks, and what Edsall said. 1.) we do NOT have the personal to run this defense 2.) we do not have the depth to run any other defense 3.) we are playing FRs 4.) we are simply not AS TALENTED as the offensive side of the ball. We sucked so bad on offense for years and Diaco got caught up with recruiting that side of the ball better than the D side. The last few years we had non experienced coaches running the O and that’s why you see a turnaround with Lashlee who is a true OC. Those stats show nothing that indicates we haven’t been making adjustments. Crocker IS a true DC and he has proven that before. Give him time. It’s not fair to ask for his head after FOUR games with what’s obviously going wrong with the D, as I listed above. You guys sound ridiculous comparing the offense to the defense.

First of all, slow your roll. I haven't asked for anyone's head. I've asked for adjustments to be made.

If you want to tell me that adjustments have been made, that's your view I guess. It must just be my faulty vision that seems to show me the exact same pass out wide to a receiver at the line of scrimmage that goes for 7 to 9 yards every time, 10 - 12 times a game.

It must just be my faulty vision that every time our opponents have a third and long, that there will be a wide open route down the middle of the field just beyond the linebackers for a 17 yard gain with the safeties playing 6 yards off of their player.

Damn me and my faulty vision! It seems to happen a lot every game...

Reaction Score
News flash: defense would be just as bad under any other scheme...

Per Randy's preseason commentary on talent of players on defense, the reason they changed the scheme was to give us the best chance to win based on current talent level. Don't forget, all but the weakest AAC teams blew apart last years defensive schemes during all of Diaco's coaching stint.

Reaction Score
i have watched a lot of football over the years from high school to college to the NFL and I can’t ever remember seeing a worse defensive team. Bad games or mismatches, sure but a season long mess like this? Never. Early in the year I thought it was an adjustment problem, but it is clear now that nearly everything is bad. The scheme and the personnel are a mismatch. The players lack fundamentals, speed and strength as a whole. We have guys playing full time who wouldn’t make the 2-deep on a 1AA team. That 3 for Memphis made a few great catches. I think it was the second score was a beautiful play. But on 2 others he was covered and the corner never looked at either the ball or the sideline so he couldn’t use either to make a play. Awful.

Lack of talent all around. Did you notice Memphis QB picked on Jamar Summers a lot.......UConns so called best corner.

I guess his eight interceptions two years ago were a fluke, because he's never come close to being the same player since.

Reaction Score
Lack of talent all around. Did you notice Memphis QB picked on Jamar Summers a lot..UConns so called best corner.

I guess his eight interceptions two years ago were a fluke, because he's never come close to being the same player since.
He was playing with 2 NFL safeties then. We are so far removed from that excellent secondary it belies belief.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We were 109 last year in DFEI

Nobody realizes how bad the defense was last year because UConn's possessions were longer and there wasn't any need to score against them - nobody had any reason to do anything to risk a turnover because the game was already over unless you shot yourself in the foot.

Reaction Score
Nobody realizes how bad the defense was last year because UConn's possessions were longer and there wasn't any need to score against them - nobody had any reason to do anything to risk a turnover because the game was already over unless you shot yourself in the foot.
People are just mad and when people get mad things like facts get in the way of their temper tantrums.

Reaction Score
Aren’t we dead last this year dropping many spots from last years losing formula.
well, the players on defense are worse, so is it really surprising?

Reaction Score
How would you like to run a 4-3 right now? seriously explain the 4 down lineman and 3lb's against 5WR sets. We don't have the players to run anything at all.
How about an analogy?

You pull up to a stoplight in a Yugo. A guy pulls alongside you with a Corvette. He challenges you to a race. Out of foolish pride, you accept the challenge. Naturally, You get smoked.

"He's got more power!" You say. "Let's take it to a tight curvy road!" You say, thinking your little car can stand a chance there vs. his big heavy muscle car. Alas, you get smoked again. Turns out Corvettes also have pretty good suspension and tires for that race environment, too.

Get it?

Yes. I get it. But let's finish the analogy.

So, here's what happens. The. Yugo is a steel pile of hunking crap. But that's an advantage. The corvette, is as most know, made of fiberglass. As the head of the race team, I say at the start Billy Bob you take that Yugo and plow it right into the wheel well of that corvette. Now, if the corvette manages to limp along, the corvette will still be us, so every time he gets close you take your wheel and slam into him again before he gets by. Now, we may lose a few races still, and miss a few crashes, but overall we might just win the series.

The moral of the story: You adapt. Violence and aggression is often the great equalizer.

You legitimately knock the crap out the QB and take some penalties along the way. You blitz men (not 180 pound twigs) and you war. You stress the OL to the max. Your DBs need to be up tight, contesting the first yard, chipping, pushing, holding and frustrating the living crap out of better atheletes. Yes penalties are coming, but you're fighting not conceding cushions and space. Yes, you give up big plays, but you take the risks because the other outcome is assuredly a losing proposition.

You play football not execute football. This D is soft and thinks it can hang tight with finesse and better execution. No. Every team should dread playing UConn because when you're done (win or lose), you've been through a meat grinder. That is what we can offer. Blood, sweat and tears. That is what Crocker lacks in mentality and it's reflected on the field. Again, not a single notable collision could be heard, except one where one of our DBs was on the receiving side of a Running Back's blast.

Off the soap box.

Reaction Score
Yes. I get it. But let's finish the analogy.

So, here's what happens. The. Yugo is a steel pile of hunking crap. But that's an advantage. The corvette, is as most know, made of fiberglass. As the head of the race team, I say at the start Billy Bob you take that Yugo and plow it right into the wheel well of that corvette. Now, if the corvette manages to limp along, the corvette will still be us, so every time he gets close you take your wheel and slam into him again before he gets by. Now, we may lose a few races still, and miss a few crashes, but overall we might just win the series.

The moral of the story: You adapt. Violence and aggression is often the great equalizer.

You legitimately knock the crap out the QB and take some penalties along the way. You blitz men (not 180 pound twigs) and you war. You stress the OL to the max. Your DBs need to be up tight, contesting the first yard, chipping, pushing, holding and frustrating the living crap out of better atheletes. Yes penalties are coming, but you're fighting not conceding cushions and space. Yes, you give up big plays, but you take the risks because the other outcome is assuredly a losing proposition.

You play football not execute football. This D is soft and thinks it can hang tight with finesse and better execution. No. Every team should dread playing UConn because when you're done (win or lose), you've been through a meat grinder. That is what we can offer. Blood, sweat and tears. That is what Crocker lacks in mentality and it's reflected on the field. Again, not a single notable collision could be heard, except one where one of our DBs was on the receiving side of a Running Back's blast.

Off the soap box.

I mean real life isn't a movie. you actually have to teach things you're going to do going forward

C

Chief00

well, the players on defense are worse, so is it really surprising?

What upsets me besides the inability to tackle or rush the passer is the DB’s not contesting the passes. They view their responsibility as trying to tackle the receiver once he catches the ball. So much of that is coaching - in a zone that’s not cushion due to speed.
I also see really bad technique, DBs getting their legs crossed, not knowing the sideline spacing, etc.

Some poster was bragging about how we apparently have 2 interceptions this year in 5 games - sorry that and it seems like no fumbles doesn’t cut it - we are not playing aggressive as was promised by Crocker.

Reaction Score
What upsets me besides the inability to tackle or rush the passer is the DB’s not contesting the passes. They view their responsibility as trying to tackle the receiver once he catches the ball. So much of that is coaching - in a zone that’s not cushion due to speed.
I also see really bad technique, DBs getting their legs crossed, not knowing the sideline spacing, etc.

Some poster was bragging about how we apparently have 2 interceptions this year in 5 games - sorry that and it seems like no fumbles doesn’t cut it - we are not playing aggressive as was promised by Crocker.
we suck at bringing pressure. it's the biggest problem. if you're not getting pressure on the QB in this system it's going to fail

C

Chief00

we suck at bringing pressure. it's the biggest problem. if you're not getting pressure on the QB in this system it's going to fail
Agree, and their is ample evidence that it has failed.

Reaction Score
Worst case scenario for us:
Lashlee has already shown he is a top notch OC
and looks at next year's/ year after defensive
woes and takes a HC job.
Our offense returns to 'normal', defense stinks,
Randy gets fired in 3 years.
Going to be a long road..

Reaction Score
Worst case scenario for us:
Lashlee has already shown he is a top notch OC
and looks at next year's/ year after defensive
woes and takes a HC job.
Our offense returns to 'normal', defense stinks,
Randy gets fired in 3 years.
Going to be a long road..
And AD Dave leaves.

Reaction Score

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2017-2018/teamcume.html#TEAM.DEF
2 turnovers so far this year..1 pick by Tyler Coyle and 1 fumble recovery by Santana Sterling

Reaction Score
I know I will not change anyone's position on this talent vs Scheme debate. However, its worth noting that Diaco's last two full recruiting classes netting some pretty good offensive players ie Peart, Dixon, Skanes, DeGeorge, McLean, Hopkins, Davis etc. Where are the same quality players on defense? We heard some good things about DB John Robinson but he doesn't even play except on special teams. Talent evolves from year to year and with this team our talent level seems to have been improving on offense and going the other way on defense for the past two years.

Reaction Score
I mean real life isn't a movie. you actually have to teach things you're going to do going forward
I've probably played close to one 130 games in pads from 3rd grade through college with a great proportion at Mike. I say this because I have experienced what happens with overly complex schemes and a lack of focus on real football skills. You look at our DBs in cover and tell me how, after 5 games, they still don't turn back and find the ball. Or how they don't know how to break on a throw. Or how they can't wrap up. Or how they can't take a proper angle on an edge blitz. Or how when the blitz they manage to find the blocker as opposed to the gap. The list goes on and on. These are football skills not taught. These are skills that can be taught.

Dude, I don't know if you're related to Crocker or what, but your defense of the guy is beyond logical and arguing nobody knows anything is not carrying the day. I have no axe to grind against Crocker other than based on performance outcome. The defense is a mess and it's not getting better.

Reaction Score
I've probably played close to one 130 games in pads from 3rd grade through college with a great proportion at Mike. I say this because I have experienced what happens with overly complex schemes and a lack of focus on real football skills. You look at our DBs in cover and tell me how, after 5 games, they still don't turn back and find the ball. Or how they don't know how to break on a throw. Or how they can't wrap up. Or how they can't take a proper angle on an edge blitz. Or how when the blitz they manage to find the blocker as opposed to the gap. The list goes on and on. These are football skills not taught. These are skills that can be taught.

Dude, I don't know if you're related to Crocker or what, but your defense of the guy is beyond logical and arguing nobody knows anything is not carrying the day. I have no axe to grind against Crocker other than based on performance outcome. The defense is a mess and it's not getting better.

There's no relation or any ties whatsoever. I just have a hard time putting it all on him when he inherited a complete disaster. We don't know what he is/isn't teaching. We don't know what Wholley is doing or any of the other defensive staff. Maybe we need a new DB coach then, maybe we do need to fire Crocker, but I just don't see a scenario where this defense is much better under different leadership

Reaction Score
I say this because I have experienced what happens with overly complex schemes and a lack of focus on real football skills. You look at our DBs in cover and tell me how, after 5 games, they still don't turn back and find the ball. Or how they don't know how to break on a throw. Or how they can't wrap up. Or how they can't take a proper angle on an edge blitz. Or how when the blitz they manage to find the blocker as opposed to the gap. The list goes on and on. These are football skills not taught. These are skills that can be taught.

Fair points - So these are a coaching/skills issue not a scheme issue per se?

Cox has decent experience coaching DBs (played position in NFL) so is it a comprehension issue, gameday pressure break downs, basic skill set issue or combination?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom