Defense/Crocker | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Calhoun came in 9th out of 9 in BE his first season with UConn. Lost his second game to Yale. He didn't have the players.

When Calhoun met John Wooden, he asked what's the most important thing for winning. What Wooden told him was the thing that Calhoun already believed.

The guys we have are too slow. Look at who we are recruiting. They may not be 4 star recruits but they are fast. Lots of track guys. Look at the films - the guys who have committed have that "fastest guy on the field" look in their clips.

We have a long way to go on defense. Next year might be a bit rough with all the young players, but when aggressive fast young players make mistakes, they still can make plays. So, while we still may be giving up big plays, we'll also be turning the other team over and sacking their QB and forcing fumbles.

The offense has a long way to go to. They have to stay on the field. Take care of the ball. Once we got to 21 against Memphis, we didn't get another TD until their practice squad was on the field. And they had the 125th best pass defense coming into the game.

To what @whaler11 said, I'm hoping this is the lowest moment we'll have under Edsall2.0 but we'll see.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding idiotic, we do not get penalized enough on defense. Ideally we want to play clean and avoid penalties. If we had the talent that is the way to go, I get that. But it seems to me, we are not aggressive enough. We do not cause turnovers. We give up huge yards on pass plays. I would rather our strategy be to hold them, if necessary, and get penalized than give up 30-40 yard pass plays that often result in TD's. It is a strategy often used in other sports (the "professional" foul in soccer, eg.), the ref can't call every foul in basketball, etc. Penalties on offense are a different story. Short of the players making huge improvements, what else can we do?

Reaction Score
He was playing with 2 NFL safeties then. We are so far removed from that excellent secondary it belies belief.
People now speak about Obi (because he’s on an NFL roster) glowingly. How quickly most people have forgotten his first three seasons as a Husky....completely lost in coverage and responsibilities. Sound familiar???

Reaction Score
People now speak about Obi (because he’s on an NFL roster) glowingly. How quickly most people have forgotten his first three seasons as a Husky....completely lost in coverage and responsibilities. Sound familiar???
He made mistakes, but he also made plays no one on this roster can. For example forcing the pitch AND making the tackle against Army one year. Sometimes there is no substitute for that type of raw ability.

Reaction Score

Are the guys in that video talented? Yes. But, what makes them stand out? Are they that much more talented then other guys around the country, or our roster? No. So, what makes them successful? Heart and confidence. They have the two things HCRE has been talking about a lot lately. Football is about matchups. Right now, we have too many guys in the secondary who play passive. You can be less talented and win....Troy St/LSU. If you have “heart” (a will to win; a “confidence” in your ability to overcome and preserve) you can win with inferior talent.

It’s not scheme. It’s not talent. It’s heart and confidence. The defense is young, inexperienced (especially on the back end) and unsure in coverage, communication and responsibilities. They’re playing passive (10-20yds off the ball) and unaggressive attacking screens, blockers, or ball carriers. That’s lack of confidence....being afraid to make a mistake, more appropriately, a mental mistake. Physical mistakes will happen. But, mental mistakes can be demoralizing. Sometime “heart” can help overcome a lack of confidence and minimize mental mistakes. Heart and confidence together, however, allow you to play aggressive regardless of your opponents talent level. You believe you’ll win or you’ll die trying. There is no fear of failure. You attack and play downhill every play. This doesn’t guarantee wins. It doesn’t guarantee you won’t fail, but it sure as hell will keep you in the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are the guys in that video talented? Yes. But, what makes them stand out? Are they that much more talented then other guys around the country, or or roster? No. So, what makes them successful? Heart and confidence. They have the two things HCRE has been talking about a lot lately. Football is about matchups. Right now, we have too many guys in the secondary who play passive. You can be less talented and win....Troy St/LSU. If you have “heart” (a will to win; a “confidence” in your ability to overcome and preserve) you can win with inferior talent.

It’s not scheme. It’s not talent. It’s heart and confidence. The defense is young, inexperienced (especially on the back end) and unsure in coverage, communication and responsibilities. They’re playing passive (10-20yds off the ball) and unaggressive attacking screens, blockers, or ball carriers. That’s lack of confidence....being afraid to make a mistake, more appropriately, a mental mistake. Physical mistakes will happen. But, mental mistakes can be demoralizing. Sometime “heart” can help overcome a lack of confidence and minimize mental mistakes. Heart and confidence together, however, allow you to play aggressive regardless of your opponents talent level. You believe you’ll win or you’ll die trying. There is no fear of failure. You attack and play downhill every play. This doesn’t guarantee wins. It doesn’t guarantee you won’t fail, but it sure as hell will keep you in the game.
There is a lot there, but playing 10 or 20 yds off the ball would appear to be a coaching and scheme issue no?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There is a lot there, but playing 10 or 20 yds off the ball would appear to be a coaching and scheme issue no?

That's my issue, too. If the bubble screen WR has 6 yards of freedom from the time he makes the catch, that's free yardage. Make the opponent beat us in other ways, for crying out loud...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He made mistakes, but he also made plays no one on this roster can. For example forcing the pitch AND making the tackle against Army one year. Sometimes there is no substitute for that type of raw ability.
True....but his mistakes, at times were costly. Specifically, in pass coverage early in his career. Raw ability will only get you so far. There have been plenty of guys with raw ability that haven’t panned (Ken Tinney comes to mind) and guys without it who have worked their way into professional sports.

Reaction Score
Possibly, and correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t HCRE mention part of the issues in alignment and coverage as lack of confidence. I find it hard to believe, Coach Crocker, on 3rd and 2 wants his corners at 10-yds off. Perhaps it’s scheme. The DC doesn’t trust the young safeties and would rather keep everything in front of the corners right now. I also think this defense is still in the infancy stages of what it will be. There’s not a lot of deception, stunting or disguising blitzes. That probably has a lot to do with inexperience and lack of understanding in a new scheme. It sucks to watch at times, but I’m willing to give Crocker time and HCRE a chance to recruit guys that fit the scheme, as long as Lashlee (stays and) maintains the offensive production.

Reaction Score
And let’s be honest....Obi was drafted more on his physical ability and projected potential, then actual production at the collegiate level. There were a lot of NFL teams that saw him as a ridiculous athlete at his size with a position to TBD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And let’s be honest....Obi was drafted more on his physical ability and projected potential, then actual production at the collegiate level. There were a lot of NFL teams that saw him as a ridiculous athlete at his size with a position to TBD.
Obi had like a 20 something tackle game at least once. I know he had his share of frustrating mistakes, but I think he was more of a playmaker than your giving him credit for.

I'd give a nut to have a guy that cleaned up tackles like that.

Reaction Score
That's my issue, too. If the bubble screen WR has 6 yards of freedom from the time her makes the catch, that's free yardage. Make the opponent beat us in other ways, for crying out loud...
the bigger problem is that our DB's can't get off the blocks on the bubble screens. they've been blocked down the field when pressing and when playing off coverage

Reaction Score
Obi had like a 20 something tackle game at least once. I know he had his share of frustrating mistakes, but I think he was more of a playmaker than your giving him credit for.

I'd give a nut to have a guy that cleaned up tackles like that.
As I just said in another post, if your SS is making that many tackles....that's not a good thing. Obi is a freakish athlete, no question. But, I can probably count on one hand how many times he actually tackled a guy for a minimal gain. Listen to the announcer...He butchers Obi's name but this epitomized Obi. He doesn't blow people up. He's a great athlete whose speed covers up his lack of physicality.

Reaction Score
Are the guys in that video talented? Yes. But, what makes them stand out? Are they that much more talented then other guys around the country, or our roster? No. So, what makes them successful? Heart and confidence. They have the two things HCRE has been talking about a lot lately. Football is about matchups. Right now, we have too many guys in the secondary who play passive. You can be less talented and win....Troy St/LSU. If you have “heart” (a will to win; a “confidence” in your ability to overcome and preserve) you can win with inferior talent.

The point of me posting that video was not to highlight those 3 players, but to point out that pretty much everyone is running some version of the nickel (4-2, or 3-3) almost all of the time. Even the old school Nick Saban is running 5 DB's 80% of the time.

People are going nuts about the 3-3-5 as if its a novelty or a gimmick D, but we were one of the few not using it (or a version of it) the past few years. That's how we ended up with so many slow LB's (sometimes even DE's) covering receivers so often. It's just not the right way to look at this.

We need a MAJOR upgrade at LB, and DE. We need faster players who can shed blocks, and take the correct angles to the QB. Better first steps, and a move or 2 that works against an o-lineman. We need to rush the passer better so we're not leaving the DB's out there to cover for 6 seconds. Even the best DB's lose their man under those circumstances. This is not to absolve the DB's of their responsibilities...they have been terrible, but we need pretty much everything but a scheme change. The scheme is finally "of this century".

And im not letting Crocker and the defensive staff off the hook either. They need to make the guys we have better, for sure. Otherwise what the hell are they doing all week, and the offseason.

We have 3 healthy scholarship DT's on the roster, and 1 of them is a true frosh that needs t0 redshirt. A 4-man front just isnt viable right now.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, even casual fans know UConn's struggling D had at least 2 INTs this season. Edit: Well, 1 INT and 1 fumble recovery. ;) Thanks @FDNY99.

Rough game. Onward, and upward. Go Huskies, beat Temple!
Temple stomped ECU. They may hang 80 on us in Philly. But hey, we got time.

Reaction Score
As passing has become the focus of offense the move to 5 defensive backs has been the reaction. Even 10 years ago a 300 yard passing game was considered huge. Now 400 is just common even for average quarterbacks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's my issue, too. If the bubble screen WR has 6 yards of freedom from the time her makes the catch, that's free yardage. Make the opponent beat us in other ways, for crying out loud...
The way they'd likely beat is for long yardage and probably some TDs. I've become convinced that we don't have the personnel for tight man to man coverage. We've seen QBs pick us apart whenever they spot it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The way they'd likely beat is for long yardage and probably some TDs. I've become convinced that we don't have the personnel for tight man to man coverage. We've seen QBs pick us apart whenever they spot it.

Oh there's no doubt that we would get hit on the long ball. No doubt at all. But make them do it! Make them hit the long ball. Force the other team to make the lower percentage throw that beats you in one shot, rather than 5 consecutive high percentage throws that get there anyways.

And what are we afraid of? That it will get worse??? :confused:

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh there's no doubt that we would get hit on the long ball. No doubt at all. But make them do it! Make them hit the long ball. Force the other team to make the lower percentage throw that beats you in one shot, rather than 5 consecutive high percentage throws that get there anyways.

And what are we afraid of? That it will get worse??? :confused:
Yes. Exactly that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes. Exactly that.

Worse than last is....still last.

This reminds me of the old definition of insanity, where we do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result...

CL82

Reaction Score
Worse than last is....still last.

This reminds me of the old definition of insanity, where we do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result...
Just because my car stereo was stolen when the doors were locked doesn't mean that unlocking them will keep it safe.

Seriously, I'd love for there to be a solution, but I just don't see it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Just because my car stereo was stolen when the doors were locked doesn't mean that unlocking them will keep it safe.

Seriously, I'd love for there to be a solution, but I just don't see it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In that case, one needs to solve the issue of why the lock didn't work. One doesn't say, "Oh well, can't be fixed." The first place to start is the locksmith, not the stereo guy... ;)

Reaction Score

Reminds me of Barry Switzer ;)

>>It never changes. Football is a game of repetition, mental and physical. You may try to articulate it a little different, but it's the same thing: Get better players, make fewer mistakes, and drill the fundamentals into your players' heads. The rest of it is a joke. Teams aren't winning because of what they had for breakfast or what some coach said in the locker room. -- Barry Switzer<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom