Defense/Crocker | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

Reaction Score
Here's my take: I've never been a fan of the 3-3-5, or frankly even the 3-4. If I had it my way, it'd be a 4-3. No doubt about it.

However, as I look at what we have on this roster, I don't think the 3-3-5 is the worst way to go. Frankly, our LB's and DL are horrendous, and the young secondary that is looking worse because of it. Sadly, those are two of the most experienced units on the team, which demonstrates Diaco's inability to develop players (in addition to terrible recruiting). The depth at linebacker and defensive line is embarrassing and I don't think putting one of the guys that wasn't good enough to crack this starting lineup is the solution to our problems.

The defensive backs are not without blame, but I'm hesitant to pin it on them as many others are. I think with time, they'll become comfortable with the coverage schemes and we'll see much less broken coverages/big plays. We have to remember that a bunch of these guys have played 5 games at the college level and it'll take some time to find their groove.

There need to be some adjustments by the coaching staff to make this defense better than it's been. Something. But overall, I don't think it matters what defensive scheme we're playing right now. The players on the field are just A) not very good, B) inexperienced or C) both.

Reaction Score
Fair points - So these are a coaching/skills issue not a scheme issue per se?

Cox has decent experience coaching DBs (played position in NFL) so is it a comprehension issue, gameday pressure break downs, basic skill set issue or combination?

Who the heck knows. My view is everybody is correct. Yes. The players are green. Expect mistakes. Schemes are neither good nor bad for the most part. They just highlight strengthens or exploit weaknesses. The 3-3 is fine. It's just not fine for us because it actually is designed to put DBs in primary positions to make plays... even on many run plays. It's simply wrong for this team. It's very hard to work on base skills which require constant repetition when they are spending hours trying to figure out where they are supposed to be just to be in position to make plays.

To me this the great fallacy. Edsall says we put them in position to make plays and they just need to do their jobs. No. They need to make football plays... take an angle, tackle, strip, etc... I'd rather put that pressure on more seasoned kids by shifting critical execution to the the front. Collapse time and make plays possible through penetration and disruption.

I do think we recruited a fair number of good athletes who are not good football players. Don't believe for a second we dont have speed on the field at the DB level. We have plenty, but it does no good if it can't be used to make plays.

I'd much prefer we recruit good football players that might be a step slower, an inch shorter, etc instead of recruiting statistics. Otherwise, we bette get pretty darn good at teaching basic football skills in a hurry.

What to make of this? Who knows. I haven't lost any faith that thus will all work itself through.

Reaction Score
Fumble recovery was Holy Cross...pick was UVA.
Really thought I remembered a desired UConn defensive INT against Holy Cross; just hate being such a dedicated, wishful casual fan. My nugget busting faux pas! :oops:

Reaction Score
First of all, slow your roll. I haven't asked for anyone's head. I've asked for adjustments to be made.

If you want to tell me that adjustments have been made, that's your view I guess. It must just be my faulty vision that seems to show me the exact same pass out wide to a receiver at the line of scrimmage that goes for 7 to 9 yards every time, 10 - 12 times a game.

It must just be my faulty vision that every time our opponents have a third and long, that there will be a wide open route down the middle of the field just beyond the linebackers for a 17 yard gain with the safeties playing 6 yards off of their player.

Damn me and my faulty vision! It seems to happen a lot every game...

Did you not read/hear Edsall stating the corners are simply not confident enough for them to press on the receivers? They play scared from what I recall Edsall saying. Summers was getting burned last year as well, how do you explain that? In a different scheme? Lol The kid is very inconsistent. The defense is simply not experienced and talented ENOUGH, yet. Your going to continue to have faulty vision until things get better talent and depth wise. Stop expecting top notch defense in year one when randy said himself it’s going to take time.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if there are any changes on 2 deep or if Crocker comes up with any wrinkles to try and make something happen.

He has made changes already with personnel. He replaced the kid who transferred in from Vanderbilt with Swann and then Taj-Herring-Wilson. He kept switching McAlister (who by the way to me should of been a RB) and another safety. He’s been adjusting with what he has to play with. People are just not happy with the defense and I feel the same, but it is what it is. We have what we have until we recruit the kids we need.

Reaction Score
Did you not read/hear Edsall stating the corners are simply not confident enough for them to press on the receivers? They play scared from what I recall Edsall saying. Summers was getting burned last year as well, how do you explain that? In a different scheme? Lol The kid is very inconsistent. The defense is simply not experienced and talented ENOUGH, yet. Your going to continue to have faulty vision until things get better talent and depth wise. Stop expecting top notch defense in year one when randy said himself it’s going to take time.

Yes. No way that this defense is going to suddenly start shutting teams downs (except Temple and BCU:)). Honestly they will need to out score teams. I don't think the offense played that well yesterday. A lot of throws were missed, turnovers and negative plays. They are capable of playing much better. That will have to be the formula in my opinion. Score a bunch of points and have 2-3 stops per half.

Reaction Score
Yes. No way that this defense is going to suddenly start shutting teams downs (except Temple and BCU:)). Honestly they will need to out score teams. I don't think the offense played that well yesterday. A lot of throws were missed, turnovers and negative plays. They are capable of playing much better. That will have to be the formula in my opinion. Score a bunch of points and have 2-3 stops per half.

Exactly!

Reaction Score
Disagree. We lost a ton in the defensive backfield from last season. We were thin at DB and we changed to a defense with 5 DBs. And, We do not have the DEs for a 3-3-5. We did not have the players to run the defense.
Thin at LB, thin at DL too. Choose your poison.

Reaction Score
He has made changes already with personnel. He replaced the kid who transferred in from Vanderbilt with Swann and then Taj-Herring-Wilson. He kept switching McAlister (who by the way to me should of been a RB) and another safety. He’s been adjusting with what he has to play with. People are just not happy with the defense and I feel the same, but it is what it is. We have what we have until we recruit the kids we need.
I know he has...I actually thought some of those changes were for the better...but as I said after last night it will be interesting to see what he does. Marchi is looking pretty good today for Temple against ECU.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What do you mean log off and take a break. He's right. Edsall came in here all confident he was going turn this program around in his first year back. No way. His overall record show nothing but mediocrity.
HE NEVER said that
Show us the quote - if not - log off

Reaction Score
So what scheme is going to make a defense that is too slow and can't tackle stop people?
No one is saying we have great talent that's simply underperforming but it's not as bad as advertised either. This D may not be SEC fast but it isn't as much foot-speed slow as it is slow to react. And much of that has to do being out of position, for example, playing way too deep at the corners. As for the tackling deficiencies, there's a lack of anticipatory aggression clearly visible from the stands.The players appear to be so static they can't seem to get their motors started at the snap. This D is playing with a dearth of confidence born of a system that is flawed.

Reaction Score
No one is saying we have great talent that's simply underperforming but it's not as bad as advertised either. This D may not be SEC fast but it isn't as much foot-speed slow as it is slow to react. And much of that has to do being out of position, for example, playing way too deep at the corners. As for the tackling deficiencies, there's a lack of anticipatory aggression clearly visible from the stands.The players appear to be so static they can't seem to get their motors started at the snap. This D is playing with a dearth of confidence born of a system that is flawed.

Flawed? I cannot wait until Croc shuts all of you up. Pay attention.

Reaction Score
I certainly understand the frustration. I never in my wildest dreams thought a program like Memphis could do that to a UCONN team.

My perspective. There is little question we are about the worst defense in the FCS. This season we are giving up just about 50, say again...........50!.........points to FCS opponents. Memphis scored 10 TDs and never needed to think about a FG. They simply marched into our end zone at will.

Do we lack speed and talent? Of course. Does the offense put more pressure on the defense? Sure. Is the scheme and coaching flawed given those two facts? I believe so.

We have to hope that the overall rebuild plan that Edsall has is the right one and that this is the process that is necessary to get to being consistently competitive. That all said, if Crocker is gone before next season starts I would not be shocked. This defense is in free fall.

Reaction Score
I can't wait either. Quite frankly, he looks like he's in over his head.

5 games in, with this roster? FR’s, slow pokes, no depth, barely any talent on the D side of the ball, wrong personnel, And he’s in over his head? Lol ;)

Reaction Score
5 games in, with this roster? FR’s, slow pokes, no depth, barely any talent on the D side of the ball, wrong personnel, And he’s in over his head? Lol ;)
For the longest time I thought this board was better than the basketball board. Boy, was I wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom