Defense/Crocker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Defense/Crocker

Reaction Score
oh my god. the people here who know nothing about football are just ruining it for everyone. You're a bunch of morons.

The players on defense are young and/or suck. We wouldn't even be in a 4-3 against a team like Memphis running 4 and 5 wide.
Its plainly obvious that if you don't get pressure, you've just put those with the least experience in primary positions to fail. Young players get better with in game reps. That's not happening. The scheme isn't working with the personnel.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
if we sit anyone else we'll be burning redshirts. that's how bad Diaco's recruiting has been

The lack of effort I saw during that time, just pissssed me off big time. I hated it and saw it last year, but never thought I'd see it this year

Reaction Score
Its plainly obvious that if you don't get pressure, you've just put those with the least experience in primary positions to fail. Young players get better with in game reps. That's not happening. The scheme isn't working with the personnel.
oh rly the scheme doesn't fit with Diaco's shty players? what a shocker!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's not like we've added much talent on offense from last year to this year. And we've gone from craptastic to pretty strong with mostly the same players and after losing our best 2 linemen and best WR.

No disrespect, but I don't know where this is coming from. Skanes, Dixon, Donaldson, Mensah, Hopkins, CDG and RVD on the line...the new playmakers added are simply superior to the ones seeing time on D.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know where this is coming from. Skanes, Dixon, Donaldson, Mensah, Hopkins, CDG and RVD on the line...the new playmakers added are simply superior to the ones seeing time on D.

Come on, dude. Knappe and Levy were both in NFL camps, as was Noel Thomas. So there goes your CDG TBD Donaldson. If you want to tell me that Mensah and Hopkins are better than Johnson, fine. But Arkeel is still the class of the team as he was last year, and we have the same QB.

If you are trying to tell me we have much better offensive talent this year, you're simply wrong.

The difference is that Lashlee + Grimes = 1,000x Verducci / Cummings.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the defense understands that fixing this pathetic situation will require an influx of recruits. New players that aren't them. Don't wanna read or hear about getting bigger, stronger and faster over the off season. Doesn't matter. These guys don't have the talent to play at this level. UConn needs to recruit to get players who do. And, if players take exception to this review, well they are the only ones who can do anything about this. So if it's offensive, then maybe smash the hell out of someone next week, get to the QB once or twice, cover somebody, force a turnover.

Reaction Score
So, then you adapt, right?
or you set yourself up to succeed when you have the players that fit your scheme? but let's just hamper the 7 freshman playing on defense so we might win one more game this season

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Come on, dude. Knappe and Levy were both in NFL camps, as was Noel Thomas. So there goes your CDG TBD Donaldson. If you want to tell me that Mensah and Hopkins are better than Johnson, fine. But Arkeel is still the class of the team as he was last year, and we have the same QB.

If you are trying to tell me we have much better offensive talent this year, you're simply wrong.

The difference is that Lashlee + Grimes = 1,000x Verducci / Cummings.

I'm disputing your "pretty much the same players" assertion. Yes NT was leaps and bounds above anyone mentioned, but there's aa big difference one outstanding receiver surrounded by nobody and guys with big-play ability who give the QB multiple options and keep opposing defenses honest.

I don't deny that these coaches are making a world of difference. But it helps a lot that the coaches came in at the same time as talented true frosh enrolled and RS frosh became game-eligible.

Reaction Score
I'm disputing your "pretty much the same players" assertion. Yes NT was leaps and bounds above anyone mentioned, but there's aa big difference one outstanding receiver surrounded by nobody and guys with big-play ability who give the QB multiple options and keep opposing defenses honest.

I don't deny that these coaches are making a world of difference. But it helps a lot that the coaches came in at the same time as talented true frosh enrolled and RS frosh became game-eligible.
if people don't see that the offensive players are more talented than the defensive players then they don't get a say in anything regarding football ever again

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Look, I'll be the first one to tell you that losing our three best DBs from last year is brutal for us. We're playing converted RBs back there (like McCallister). If Edsall is saying emphatically that the 3-3-5 is really the only thing he can do with this roster because of so few down lineman, I understand.

What I'm not about to believe is that there aren't adjustments to be made within the system that could help. Like when we brought extra pressure, it was a little more successful (not much, but a little). How about the large distance we play off of the receivers on that same damned bubble screen every game?

I'm just going to go to bed with the belief that Edsall is going to have this very same conversation with Crocker behind the scenes this week...

Reaction Score
Look, I'll be the first one to tell you that losing our three best DBs from last year is brutal for us. We're playing converted RBs back there (like McCallister). If Edsall is saying emphatically that the 3-3-5 is really the only thing he can do with this roster because of so few down lineman, I understand.

What I'm not about to believe is that there aren't adjustments to be made within the system that could help. Like when we brought extra pressure, it was a little more successful (not much, but a little). How about the large distance we play off of the receivers on that same damned bubble screen every game?

I'm just going to go to bed with the belief that Edsall is going to have this very same conversation with Crocker behind the scenes this week...
did you miss all the times Wilson and Adams just got straight up beat for TD's?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

We haven't even had Hergy for the last couple of games, and we continue to score even more points without him. I'm sorry. The difference on offense this year versus last has nothing to do with better talent...

Reaction Score
Explain to me how that putrid offense last year is putting up yards then. The scheme sucks and Crocker is a crock. He lacks the ability to make an adjustment....hell Memphis ran the same sets of plays to each side.....as has every damn team this year with not one adjustment to help the players. Good coaches teach the players what they are doing wrong.....Crocker seems to be eating crackers in the press box

More talent on offense than defense

Reaction Score
We haven't even had Hergy for the last couple of games, and we continue to score even more points without him. I'm sorry. The difference on offense this year versus last has nothing to do with better talent...
It's a mix between better talent and better coaching. the defense has worse talent and that's not arguable.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
did you miss all the times Wilson and Adams just got straight up beat for TD's?

You mean Andrew Adams? Edsall-recruited Adams who is starting for the Giants? What are we talking about here?

Reaction Score
You mean Andrew Adams? Edsall-recruited Adams who is starting for the Giants? What are we talking about here?
I meant summers. I'm pretty drunk. regardless, corners got beat in the endzone 4 times by the sideline. You can't do anything about that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's a mix between better talent and better coaching. the defense has worse talent and that's not arguable.

Who's arguing that the defense has better talent now? Not me. I've said it a bunch of times that our secondary is decimated.

I'm not asking to be better than last year on D. Hell, I'm not even asking to be as good.

I'm asking not to let up 600 yards to each and every stinking team we play this year. Like I said before, I'm sure there are adjustments in the system that can be made, and should be made, and hopefully will be made...

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Hergy has more talent behind him at WR than Thomas ever did. There is no question we are deeper there this year than we have been in years.

Reaction Score
Maybe because the offense has more talented players and fewer true freshman getting playing time?

These guys sound silly. They don’t use their brains.

Edsall said it today, “The personal does not fit our defense.” We have to recruit the players and that will take time. We don’t even have the depth to run any other defense. People need to stop comparing the offense to the defense. Period. Be patient. This is a rebuilding year for the TEAM.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom