Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I've stated many times here, the only thing that can slow down or stop UCONN is injuries and/or illness!
UCONN at Gampel if healthy will beat SoCar by 35+ points!
UCONN at ND if healthy will beat ND by 30+ points! Geno will come up with a way to stop Loyd and ND has no other stars!
Ok, that's just too Tonyish. UCONN is not winning by 30 or 35 points in these games. :rolleyes:

1. ND has, but SoCar has never seen a defense that UCONN will put on the floor for the full 40 minutes!
2. ND & SoCar has to try and stop Stewart, Stokes, KML, MoJeff, Tuck, Chong, and at least 1 of the freshmen all capable of scoring in double figures!
Both true.

3. Stewart, Tuck, KML, Stokes, & Gabby Williams will get double figure rebounds vs both ND & SoCar!
Ok that's just insane. We only had 50+ rebounds a handful of times last season. And never more than 2 players with 10+ rebounds.

4. Geno can now go 11 deep in game rotation not 6 or 7 like last couple of years! Only the walk-ons are NOT in the rotation.
Geno is not going with a 11 player rotation in ND and SC games. Unless of course we are in deep (real deep) foul trouble. And at that point we are screwed.

5. This years Huskies might wind up the most athletic CT team since 2002!
Not sure how'd you really measure that, but possibly.

Reaction Score
I don't think you want to admit how good SC is going to be.

SC IS good. But when they play UConn they will know what getting put in meat grinder feels like.
Good hype though. Keeps us on our toes. It'll be fun to watch and see how they measure up.
UConn may not always be this good, but they are now and will be for the foreseeable future.
I do however think SC is better than ND, no matter how the ND team thinks they have been shorted by the preseason poll.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony what exactly are you talking about? First off I am a UConn fan and graduate so I don't understand why you are referring to me as a South Carolina fan. Secondly, I am quite knowledgeable about the UConn team and College Women's Basketball in general. All I was doing was replying to UConnCat and stating that I thought the ONLY team that had the chance to beat UConn was South Carolina. Not that they would beat UConn at all, just that they HAD THE CHANCE. This does not mean I am a USC fan at all.
I clicked on the wrong post. Sorry and I cant delete mine.

Reaction Score
I love all the comments above, but lets face the facts here. With all of the returning talent and experience UCONN has and don't forget they had a great recruiting class as did SC I really don't see anyone in UCONN's class. A good example is Kia Nurse. What incoming frosh for SC has the experience she has Playing with Canadian National team puts her way above any incoming frosh than any other college has recruited. The experience of playing in two final fours also counts a lot. UCONN, barring any forseen circumstances will be a dynasty for a while and as the fans of Bre in Central NY say it's not 3 peat it's Bre-peat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Notre Dame -- which engaged UConn in a battle of undefeated teams in last spring's title game -- has junior guard Jewell Loyd and a habit of exceeding expectations after graduating its top players."

Does that habit refer simply to returning to the Final Four last year after Skylar graduated...or are there at least two instances in this habitual pattern?
It actually refers I think to the last two years as they lost two good seniors the previous year to losing Diggins and many thought that might drop them (too lazy to go back and get the names of the two.) Achonwa and McBride stepped up plus Loyd as freshman.
I do think there is a difference in that the cumulative effect of three years of losing important seniors means that you have fewer players that have contributed significant minutes for multiple years trying to fill in. McBride and Achonwa had been important for 3/4 years and so had the experience the last couple of years to help transition from the lost players. Loyd is sort of on an island this time (?)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As I've stated many times here, the only thing that can slow down or stop UCONN is injuries and/or illness!
UCONN at ND if healthy will beat ND by 30+ points! Geno will come up with a way to stop Loyd and ND has no other stars!
1. ND has, but SoCar has never seen a defense that UCONN will put on the floor for the full 40 minutes!
2. ND & SoCar has to try and stop Stewart, Stokes, KML, MoJeff, Tuck, Chong, and at least 1 of the freshmen all capable of scoring in double figures!
3. Stewart, Tuck, KML, Stokes, & Gabby Williams will get double figure rebounds vs both ND & SoCar!
4. Geno can now go 11 deep in game rotation not 6 or 7 like last couple of years! Only the walk-ons are NOT in the rotation.

I've put a reminder on my iCalendar for February to revisit this post. :D

Reaction Score
Both Stewart and Dolson. The defeneses keyed on them. their sats may not show it but as Muffitt said 2 years ago her focus was on Lewis. In the postgame this year she spoke of our size. Defenses keyed on our size.

If I was a defense at end of last year would i have kyed on Lewis or the big girls?
The year before I'm keying on Lewis and was just as surprised as Muffitt that Stewie smoked them.
Not true but stef should of won final four mvp that game aginst ND was won of her best but easily KML she hit every big 3 or shot rebounding better hustling and being aggressive for every loose balls. And her confidence was threw the roof and going into this year, she knows she's the best senior in WBB

Reaction Score
I love all the comments above, but lets face the facts here. With all of the returning talent and experience UCONN has and don't forget they had a great recruiting class as did SC I really don't see anyone in UCONN's class. A good example is Kia Nurse. What incoming frosh for SC has the experience she has Playing with Canadian National team puts her way above any incoming frosh than any other college has recruited. The experience of playing in two final fours also counts a lot. UCONN, barring any forseen circumstances will be a dynasty for a while and as the fans of Bre in Central NY say it's not 3 peat it's Bre-peat.
I still give the best chance to ND but its proven there not close to us. SC will be good but lack of experience and they tend to turn the ball over alot. Outside shooting will be a problem although they do have 2 good shooters. That being said (injuries) is the only thing that can stop us from 3 peating

Reaction Score
Ok, that's just too Tonyish. UCONN is not winning by 30 or 35 points in these games. :rolleyes:

Both true.

Ok that's just insane. We only had 50+ rebounds a handful of times last season. And never more than 2 players with 10+ rebounds.

Geno is not going with a 11 player rotation in ND and SC games. Unless of course we are in deep (real deep) foul trouble. And at that point we are screwed.

Not sure how'd you really measure that, but possibly.
This year Geno runs a reprise of two years ago where he let his freshman work win, lose or draw to the enduring angst of the UCONN faithful; but in the NC he had the Huskie women prepared for anything...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Have you noticed the top 3 teams have 3 of the top coaches.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I'd be willing make a bet against that happening

When was the last time USC played in the final four? UCONN is an experienced final four team, the game won't be close.

I think 1986..... Cheryl Miller's Senior season.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
You mean a freshman with additional All Americans on the team who had previously won a NC.

Don't mean to say SC is in our league, Ice, either by current talent or history/pedigree, but would you agree that based on their returning players, they are a solid team coming into this season? And if she's a transcendent player as a freshman, (which is yet to be proven, of course), why shouldn't Gamecock fans dream?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Stewart and Dolson. The defeneses keyed on them. their sats may not show it but as Muffitt said 2 years ago her focus was on Lewis. In the postgame this year she spoke of our size. Defenses keyed on our size.

If I was a defense at end of last year would i have kyed on Lewis or the big girls?
The year before I'm keying on Lewis and was just as surprised as Muffitt that Stewie smoked them.

When Muffet went to a triangle and 2 in the 2014 championship game the 2 players guarded were Stewart and Mosqueda-Lewis. Of course UConn was bigger than ND in the post but they also had no answer for Kaleena and understandably chose to guard her one-on-one rather than Dolson.

Reaction Score
She had a couple off shooting games from three, but she made up for it with improved interior play. Compared to Stewart over the entire tournament KML had more rebounds and assists, shot the same 48%-49%, was better from three 39%-19%, and scored nearly as much, 17 pts - 17.7 pts.

Her 3-pt shooting in the tourney was down but again that's mostly due to a couple off nights. She was 13-33. Had she made just three of those misses she'd have been 16-33, or 48% which was her sophomore percentage. Her 2-pt% in the tourney was down just slightly from her sophomore year. She averaged 2 more rebounds and 1.5 more assists in the tourney than she did as a sophomore. So basically, if she had made those three missed 3-pointers, her numbers would've been better across the board compared to her Soph year*.

*When I say sophomore year I'm referring to the whole season.

You mention twice she had a couple of off nights shooting. We can agree to disagree which is why I say she'll be much more of a force this year. Point wise is not the only way to value someone. One way is-- how the defnses account for you. From what I saw it was four consecutive off-shooting nights. . Those 4 off nights shooting 3's from the S16 to the Finals. You won't see that again this year from S16 to Finals.

In regards to the offensive stats - the probable best player in UCONN History in which defneses are contiually focused on her-, fg% doesn't begin to tell the whole story. In the Stanford game and with ND her mere presence allows a player like MoJeff "freedom" for much of the game. That's why as you say "I poo-pooed" it before.

And - what else was UCONN great at in the NCAA's? It was the defense. Our anchors of defense were our bigs and MoJeff. Please don't take this to mean KML "stinks" on defnese or is belwo average etc. This is a 40-0 team and one of the things KML is is solid at is rebounding whcih is a neccessity for terrific defenses. She's very smart- so positioning. Offense and defnese combined - the best two were Stef and BS. What did I hear at the STanford game- we were holding teams to 31% shooting? This has a lot to do with the big girls' impact.

as far as "If KML could have 3 more . . ." the point is last year she could have also missed 3 more too. You and I don't see eye to eye on this but Muffitt did say 2 years ago at end of half or start of the 3rd qtr "I'm worried about Lewis." In this tourney her 3pt shot was off. What does Geno say? "What are you good at?" She is regarded as the greatest 3 pt shooter in UCONN History imo. That's not just "good." To be known like she is - with UCONN history - KML's 3pt shooting is "legendary." Any rebounding she does or low post moves doesn't come close imo to an equivalent impact of her 3pt shooting asset. That's why me- and I think others say "wait until you see KML this year." In 4 games the year before she shot 50% or higher from S16 to Finals in 2 of the 4. Look for that 3pt shot to be strong lie eit was 2 years ago in S16 while defenses are continually focused on her unlike this past year. Defenses keyed on her a lot more 2 years ago .

Reaction Score
When Muffet went to a triangle and 2 in the 2014 championship game the 2 players guarded were Stewart and Mosqueda-Lewis. Of course UConn was bigger than ND in the post but they also had no answer for Kaleena and understandably chose to guard her one-on-one rather than Dolson.

They went to the triangle-and-two when Hartley went out in the 1sthalf. Maybe that changed in the 2nd half after we built up the huge lead. Just saw up to that point again. Last year's offense was focused moreso on Stef and Stewie imo. The year before defenses focused a lot more on KML than this past year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
From what I saw it was four consecutive off-shooting nights. . Those 4 off nights shooting 3's from the S16 to the Finals. You won't see that again this year from S16 to Finals.

She didn't shooting well from 3 over those games but she still played extremely well. For instance, she was only 4-13 from three in the Regionals but still won MOP, averaging 18 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 assists. And Geno rightly pointed out how big she was in those games when they were treading water against A&M and BYU.

I'm not disagreeing that she can go to another level. If she gets her sophomore shooting touch back to go along with the more nuanced game she showed in the tourney she'll be a POY candidate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't mean to say SC is in our league, Ice, either by current talent or history/pedigree, but would you agree that based on their returning players, they are a solid team coming into this season? And if she's a transcendent player as a freshman, (which is yet to be proven, of course), why shouldn't Gamecock fans dream?
They are a very gifted team. There are real challenges they have not proven themselves equal to at this point. These are the same challenges UCONN faced in 1995. One difference is that it is UCONN in their path and not TN and it is a well stocked and seasoned UCONN team. I love A'Ja Wilson but it is risky to compare her to Stewie because of very real experience. Stewie has played up age groups and virtually EVERY step of her development and her career. The best professionals in the sport have made that decision. And Stewie excelled while playing up. There is no similar precedent in A'Ja's to which I would risk hitching NC expectations, at least not confidently.

The first step for SoCar is to set manageable interim goals before looking to the NC. For Geno that it playing the game right and letting the other things take care of themselves. Those things are for SoCar winning a couple of Big" games against a ND, TN, Stanford, etc. they've taken the step forward of having the possibility of those games on the schedule. It is as important for the coaching staff as it is for the players because there are dynamics needing to be managed that they, too, have not experienced. It is all part of the learning curve.

Reaction Score
I give you credit for supporting your team but this is UConn. Not Tenn who you lost to. This is mighty UConn. Who last season beat a very big MD team with KML and Tuck out to injuries and beat them at MD. We have two go to players who can outscore you entire team. We have a defense that will suffocate your team. I will take UConn by 20 and it may not be that close. ND last season was +20 better the USC and UConn beat them by +20. There isn't a team in WCBB that can come close to UConn this season and USC will be hyped but in the end UConn by 20+. USC is a very talented team. A top 2/3 team this season but the margin between UConn and everybody else is over double digits. First Dawn must put together a defense that can keep UConn under 60 pts then she must put an offense together that can score against UConns defense 60 pts. In 2 seasons no team has managed to do that. What makes you think that USC a sweet 16 team last season can???????? It will be a big wake up call for Wilson and Coates.

Well said Tony. We're not vulnerable until Breanna and her mates leave. After that our lack of height could be our downfall.

Reaction Score
We'll be ok. We'll still have Tuck 6-2, Butler 6-5, Samuelson 6-3, Boykin 6-2, Collier 6-1, and Irwin 6-2.
We may have a height problem after Butler leaves, hard to see one before then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom