Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Until somebody beats you, you are the champions, but the Gamecocks have both depth and experience this season. We may not beat you in Gampel, but we have a huge fan base and there will be lots of rooster boosters in Tampa next spring.

you'll have virtually no chance or slim chance to beat us in APril unless we are spiked with injuries or theire is a "Lousiville moment." . Your coach has said your team needs scoring. She was quoted to saying that. Which means you are going to rely on Wilson to be your top 2 scorers. Good luck at the final four relying on a frosh. What makes Wilson greater than Dt or Maya who struggled a lot in the ff game? Griner had little impact vs Tina Charles- frosh vs sr. -----Stewart is a machine. IMO you can't fathom how great these number 1 recruits become year over year whne they are special-off-the-charts type of impact players.

Put this in perspective. You are going against arguable the greatest husky ever. The greatest shooting wing in UCONN history (alongwith terrfic passer and solid rebounder) that will benefit playing with a guard - you can read on this board we think is trmendous (she was 2nd best player in h/s) - heck even ESPN put her at 11. Uconn has 5 guards that were high school caliber all-americans. Maybe not CE but you get the point. Tuck WAS BETTER than Stokes before she got hurt. This is among UCONN's msot talented teams ever. Your team hasn't goen through anything yet and probably your 2nd best scorer is going to be Wilson. You like those chances for your team?

You'll have your chances with Wilson other years- just this year - nah.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
you'll have virtually no chance or slim chance to beat us in APril unless we are spiked with injuries or theire is a "Lousiville moment." . Your coach has said your team needs scoring. She was quoted to saying that. Which means you are going to rely on Wilson to be your top 2 scorers. Good luck at the final four relying on a frosh. What makes Wilson greater than Dt or Maya who struggled a lot in the ff game? Griner had little impact vs Tina Charles- frosh vs sr. -----Stewart is a machine. IMO you can't fathom how great these number 1 recruits become year over year whne they are special-off-the-charts type of impact players.

Put this in perspective. You are going against arguable the greatest husky ever. The greatest shooting wing in UCONN history (alongwith terrfic passer and solid rebounder) that will benefit playing with a guard - you can read on this board we think is trmendous (she was 2nd best player in h/s) - heck even ESPN put her at 11. Uconn has 5 guards that were high school caliber all-americans. Maybe not CE but you get the point. Tuck WAS BETTER than Stokes before she got hurt. This is among UCONN's msot talented teams ever. Your team hasn't goen through anything yet and probably your 2nd best scorer is going to be Wilson. You like those chances for your team?

We won't need to rely on A'ja to be our only scorer - we've got Mitchell, Welch and Coates.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why we're using KML as a example of an improved team in the long run. She was certainly healthy at the end of last season and was the best Husky over the entire NCAA tourney run. Tuck I can buy. Jefferson to another level I can buy. But Dolson and Hartley had fabulous senior seasons. Hartley hit 19% of the team's FG's and 28% of the 3-pointers. That's a lot for others to make up. Still, this team doesn't have to be as good as last year's to win.

Reaction Score
We won't need to rely on A'ja to be our only scorer - we've got Mitchell, Welch and Coates.

I didn't say Wilson would be your only scorer. Never said that. I said your coach said that your team needs help in scoring of which Wilson brings. Thus imo Wilson will be your 2nd leading scorer. Care to make a fun bet-- not for money-- but whatever? That's a huge issue for a frosh going against one of arguably UCONN's greatest teams ever.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And still have not won a "Big" game. Playing at the FF for the first time is a huge experience in itself for those who haven't been there. Tons of distractions and emotions to manage for staff and players. That alone is a huge advantage for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why we're using KML as a example of an improved team in the long run. She was certainly healthy at the end of last season and was the best Husky over the entire NCAA tourney run. Tuck I can buy. Jefferson to another level I can buy. But Dolson and Hartley had fabulous senior seasons. Hartley hit 19% of the team's FG's and 28% of the 3-pointers. That's a lot for others to make up. Still, this team doesn't have to be as good as last year's to win.

I don't agree regarding Lewis lastyear. I specifically remmeber 2 years ago Muffitt beign interviewed either at end of half in NCAA's or start of 2nd half that she wasn't worried about Stewart becuase they had hanled her in the past. SHe was worried about Lewis. In other words "defense is going to focus on her.) In this past year - Mufffeett postgame spoke of our size. There was a much more concentrated effort on Stewie and Dolson combo than the prior year-- and the prior year Lewis shot 10-21 from S16 to Finals. This year she shot 7-23. It was indiciative of her year when she came back- not the player she was. ANd imo especially not the bestHusky in the tourney this year.

Reaction Score
And still have not won a "Big" game. Playing at the FF for the first time is a huge experience in itself for those who haven't been there. Tons of distractions and emotions to manage for staff and players. That alone is a huge advantage for UCONN.

That's what they don't understand. We've seen it - Stewie was the exception. All the great ones struggle their forsh year when they have a huge role. It's inevitable. For some there is this other thought "the bench" cures those problems. Over a season - yes. In a winner-take-all - those players on the bench are there for a reason. Rotations and flows are established. When you are going against for exmaple the greatest husky of all time -- a "12 minute bench player" "ain't gonna cut it" unless she has been there before.

Reaction Score

Secondly if you havae "Micthell/Coates and Welch" as your socrers - your coach wouldn't have emphasized she did her team's need for scoring. She said it- not me. It's a big reason why I give you--- near no chance - for this year.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
you'll have virtually no chance or slim chance to beat us in APril unless we are spiked with injuries or theire is a "Lousiville moment." . Your coach has said your team needs scoring. She was quoted to saying that. Which means you are going to rely on Wilson to be your top 2 scorers. Good luck at the final four relying on a frosh.

Might I remind my fellow UConn fans that we rode a freshman's back to the championship two years ago?

Reaction Score
Might I remind my fellow UConn fans that we rode a freshman's back to the championship two years ago?

Yes and I have said it a couple of times. SHE was the only one. I'll reiterate that our THREE prior superstars - arguably among UCONN's 5 greatest players in history of course DT, Maya and Tina (Tina about 5- right?) they all struggled big time in one game either E8 or FF.

So -- I'll say again I specifically remember Geno stating Stewie was his most talented player he has EVER had before she played one game for us. Are you expecting Wilson to be Stewie? I don't know but I'd be highly skeptical "she is Stewie."" If DT/Maya and Tina struggled- you don't think probability is high that Wilson will struggle? Especially if she were to play against our "experienced" frontcourt?

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
South Carolina.JPG

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It was indiciative of her year when she came back- not the player she was. ANd imo especially not the bestHusky in the tourney this year.

Who do you think was better than KML throughout the whole of the tourney?

Reaction Score
Who do you think was better than KML throughout the whole of the tourney?

Both Stewart and Dolson. The defeneses keyed on them. their sats may not show it but as Muffitt said 2 years ago her focus was on Lewis. In the postgame this year she spoke of our size. Defenses keyed on our size.

If I was a defense at end of last year would i have kyed on Lewis or the big girls?
The year before I'm keying on Lewis and was just as surprised as Muffitt that Stewie smoked them.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Both Stewart and Dolson. The defeneses keyed on them. their sats may not show it but as Muffitt said 2 years ago her focus was on Lewis. In the postgame this year she spoke of our size. Defenses keyed on our size.

If I was a defense at end of last year would i have kyed on Lewis or the big girls?
The year before I'm keying on Lewis and was just as surprised as Muffitt that Stewie smoked them.

Well, I'd post the stats but you've kinda poo-pooed them, and I doubt either of us could prove who defenses focused on. Dolson and Stewart were the best players against Notre Dame and the Irish were missing Achonwa so for both those reasons McGraw focused her comments on the inside game that night. I'm not quite sure how one keys on size anyway other than to crash the boards or double-team. ND played a three-guard lineup and I don't believe any Husky was double-teamed in the tourney.

Regardless, even if you don't believe KML was their best player in the tourney she was clearly really, really good. Looked healthy, and was far more effective than she had been after returning from her first elbow injury earlier in the season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Yes and I have said it a couple of times. SHE was the only one. I'll reiterate that our THREE prior superstars - arguably among UCONN's 5 greatest players in history of course DT, Maya and Tina (Tina about 5- right?) they all struggled big time in one game either E8 or FF.

So -- I'll say again I specifically remember Geno stating Stewie was his most talented player he has EVER had before she played one game for us. Are you expecting Wilson to be Stewie? I don't know but I'd be highly skeptical "she is Stewie."" If DT/Maya and Tina struggled- you don't think probability is high that Wilson will struggle? Especially if she were to play against our "experienced" frontcourt?
It's not beyond the realm of possibility. I've only seen A'ja play once and it was against inferior competition. Ask me again after we play at Duke on December 7th. I'll be taking the short jaunt up to Durham for the game.

Reaction Score
Well, I'd post the stats but you've kinda poo-pooed them, and I doubt either of us could prove who defenses focused on. Dolson and Stewart were the best players against Notre Dame and the Irish were missing Achonwa so for both those reasons McGraw focused her comments on the inside game that night. I'm not quite sure how one keys on size anyway other than to crash the boards or double-team. ND played a three-guard lineup and I don't believe any Husky was double-teamed in the tourney.

Regardless, even if you don't believe KML was their best player in the tourney she was clearly really, really good. Looked healthy, and was far more effective than she had been after returning from her first elbow injury earlier in the season.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here. Geno kind of talked the whole season how the offfense featured Dolson's passing. No reason to think anything changed in the tourney. And it was their defense that was stellar - I attribute that a lot to the big girls - of course MoJeff too. Anyhow - from the link below from huskygames website-- I just pulled up the Stanford game - part of their philosophy was to leave MoJeff open. thus Dolson and Stewie have no room. For bigs who can pass, and have the skill they have - the defense has to sag unless we have a sharp shooter - our bigs were super beucase of their size skill threat. Anyhow regarding sagging - this is a defense designed to slow down the bigs (and penetration) and that's hwy I said defnses look to stop Stef and Stewie where year before Muffitt was most concerned of KML. At the following marks you can see multiple Stanford players in the lane at 18:42, 18:32, 18:27, 17:49, 16:00, 14:22, all in the same set on this one play as the ball moves-- 13:09, 13:06, 13:01, 12:57 (this was one offensive set)--- then again at 12:47, 11:12, 10:02 and at 9:33. Then I stopped watching. So it's clear what the defenses are doing- collapse- and dare the guards/wing to beat us outside. Also- defeisvley what did Chiney do? It's our big girls that negated her- directly affected. What's Lloyd going to do diving in the paint vs our big girls? Was it all our guards defense? It was also indirect they (theBigs) affect the game for guards like Lloyd. Nothing easy for her inside.

http://uconnhuskygames.com/2013-2014-womens-basketball-replays/

And I thought KML was "good." But what does Geno say often? He says "what are you good at?" KML is the greatest shooter we've ever had. She is more than good. But not last year in NCAA's as teams collapsed. From S16 game ot Finals not once did she shoot at least 40% from 3. The year before two games she shot one game 5-8 another 3-6. This is indicative she was off. KML is a super player.

With MoJeff - MoJeff is a great defender. With Stef she was the focus with her passing/size and defense. With Stewie it's her size/long arms both ends. . With KML she is a good rebounder for her size. But what KML excels at is shooting. She didn't shoot well. Her assists weren't much - and I'm not goign to call her a lcok down defender or floor general like Hartley - so-- no-- last year I don't think she was "really, really good." Maybe in comaprsion vs other "good players" - but the year before KML was a beast and this year I expect her to far surpass last year.

I got to crash. Thanks for the talk I liked this.

Reaction Score
As I've stated many times here, the only thing that can slow down or stop UCONN is injuries and/or illness!
UCONN at Gampel if healthy will beat SoCar by 35+ points!
UCONN at ND if healthy will beat ND by 30+ points! Geno will come up with a way to stop Loyd and ND has no other stars!
1. ND has, but SoCar has never seen a defense that UCONN will put on the floor for the full 40 minutes!
2. ND & SoCar has to try and stop Stewart, Stokes, KML, MoJeff, Tuck, Chong, and at least 1 of the freshmen all capable of scoring in double figures!
3. Stewart, Tuck, KML, Stokes, & Gabby Williams will get double figure rebounds vs both ND & SoCar!
4. Geno can now go 11 deep in game rotation not 6 or 7 like last couple of years! Only the walk-ons are NOT in the rotation.
5. This years Huskies might wind up the most athletic CT team since 2002!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And I thought KML was "good." But what does Geno say often? He says "what are you good at?" KML is the greatest shooter we've ever had. She is more than good. But not last year in NCAA's as teams collapsed. From S16 game ot Finals not once did she shoot at least 40% from 3. The year before two games she shot one game 5-8 another 3-6. This is indicative she was off. KML is a super player.

She had a couple off shooting games from three, but she made up for it with improved interior play. Compared to Stewart over the entire tournament KML had more rebounds and assists, shot the same 48%-49%, was better from three 39%-19%, and scored nearly as much, 17 pts - 17.7 pts.

With KML she is a good rebounder for her size. But what KML excels at is shooting. She didn't shoot well. Her assists weren't much - and I'm not goign to call her a lcok down defender or floor general like Hartley - so-- no-- last year I don't think she was "really, really good." Maybe in comaprsion vs other "good players" - but the year before KML was a beast and this year I expect her to far surpass last year.

Her 3-pt shooting in the tourney was down but again that's mostly due to a couple off nights. She was 13-33. Had she made just three of those misses she'd have been 16-33, or 48% which was her sophomore percentage. Her 2-pt% in the tourney was down just slightly from her sophomore year. She averaged 2 more rebounds and 1.5 more assists in the tourney than she did as a sophomore. So basically, if she had made those three missed 3-pointers, her numbers would've been better across the board compared to her Soph year*.

*When I say sophomore year I'm referring to the whole season.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You mean a freshman with additional All Americans on the team who had previously won a NC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's not beyond the realm of possibility. I've only seen A'ja play once and it was against inferior competition. Ask me again after we play at Duke on December 7th. I'll be taking the short jaunt up to Durham for the game.
Ask Alyssa Thomas or Elizabeth Williams about the first time they played against UCONN's defense and what it was like. Stokes and Stewart helped to set an amazing record for blocked shots along with Dolson. No one's D rotates better than UCONN's and the entire starting unit is experienced headed by two incredibly fast guards. Every shot will be challenged for 40 minutes. Every opponents' team says they have no other experience like it. And yes, wESPN has three of the top 11 players on UCONN. So objectively there is reason for confidence, plus Geno and staff won't let the team cheat its talent.

Reaction Score
Who would you consider to be threats to UConn? North Carolina and Baylor seem to be on the periphery. Louisville's down. Duke has a completely different team and is very young. Maryland looks short too. South Carolina may be unproven but with their talent on paper I think they have to considered the most dangerous along with Notre Dame.

Lets first see how they play against a good, but not great Tennessee team!

Reaction Score
Enjoy your posts "Leghorn". I both like and respect your team and am looking forward them "pole-axing" Tennessee this year. After your trip to Durham and our trip to "Domer Town" on the same weekend I think we'll all have a better picture of where we stand.

Reaction Score
Until somebody beats you, you are the champions, but the Gamecocks have both depth and experience this season. We may not beat you in Gampel, but we have a huge fan base and there will be lots of rooster boosters in Tampa next spring.

When was the last time USC played in the final four? UCONN is an experienced final four team, the game won't be close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom