Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
SoCar has no experience in big games. They have yet to have "big" win. They will be good but as of today they are not a threat.

Wow is this argument still going on? I agree with Ice Bear at South Carolina has yet to prove itself in big games and I was under the impression we had decided to wait and see how the season pans out before we decide 'the truth'

Reaction Score
I think the size of South Carolina could give UConn fits. South Carolina features 4 players 6'4 or taller and I think that Staley is going to try to go big against UConn and start Wilson, White, and Coates together. I think they are going to pound the ball inside against and try to dominate the boards. This is where UConn's lack of height kind of scares me. On defense I think that South Carolina is going to try to pack the paint and take away the inside. If they are successful in making UConn 1 dimensional by forcing them outside then UConn could be in trouble. However, if UConn is able to knock down some jump shots and hold its own rebounding, they can get their fast break working and run South Carolina out of the gym. I honestly think that South Carolina is the ONLY team in the country that can beat UConn and it should be fum to watch when they match-up at Gampel and maybe in the NCAA tournament.
None of those 3 can guard Stewie, and KML out on the floor, they would be on the bench with 2 fouls before the 10 minute mark, and the others would be exposed by Mo's speed on drives to the hoop.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
SoCar has no experience in big games. They have yet to have "big" win. They will be good but as of today they are not a threat. In contrast UCONN has numerous players holding two NC rings. They are "BIG" game tested and certified.

Who would you consider to be threats to UConn? North Carolina and Baylor seem to be on the periphery. Louisville's down. Duke has a completely different team and is very young. Maryland looks short too. South Carolina may be unproven but with their talent on paper I think they have to considered the most dangerous along with Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
Wow is this argument still going on? I agree with Ice Bear at South Carolina has yet to prove itself in big games and I was under the impression we had decided to wait and see how the season pans out before we decide 'the truth'

Apparently SC is this season's great hype hope for those that want to see UConn get beat.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
SoCar has no experience in big games. They have yet to have "big" win. They will be good but as of today they are not a threat. In contrast UCONN has numerous players holding two NC rings. They are "BIG" game tested and "Certified."

I simply don't think you replace Dolson and Hartley with Stokes and Chong and somehow become better than the previous season. However, I do think that if you add the number 1 forward and number center in the nation that you do become a much better team. But getting Tuck back will help a lot.

Can we just skip to February?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Who would you consider to be threats to UConn? North Carolina and Baylor seem to be on the periphery. Louisville's down. Duke has a completely different team and is very young. Maryland looks short too. South Carolina may be unproven but with their talent on paper I think they have to considered the most dangerous along with Notre Dame.
I said no one except UCONN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I simply don't think you replace Dolson and Hartley with Stokes and Chong and somehow become better than the previous season. However, I do think that if you add the number 1 forward and number center in the nation that you do become a much better team.

MoJeff replaces Hartley, no problem. Chong then picks up MoJetts's load with much better back up than last year. Tuck is back to assist Stewie, Stokes, and KML upfront and presently all are healthy something they were not last year. So that is four across the front for two or three positions. I see much stronger options for Geno and have no problem seeing the team being stronger. Plus you've been wrong before.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Until somebody beats you, you are the champions, but the Gamecocks have both depth and experience this season. We may not beat you in Gampel, but we have a huge fan base and there will be lots of rooster boosters in Tampa next spring.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
MoJeff replaces Hartley, no problem. Chong then picks up MoJetts's load with much better back than last year. Tuck is back to assist Stewie, Stokes, and KML upfront and presently all are healthy something they were not last year. I see much stronger options for Geno and have no problem seeing the team being stronger. Plus you've been wrong before.

I'm assuming you haven't been. (-;

My opinion is that SC will challenge UCONN. I don't expect any UCONN fans to agree with that opinion. I did agree last year that nobody would challenge UCONN, but until I see the team operate without Dolson and Hartley I can't buy into that stance this year.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
MoJeff replaces Hartley, no problem. Chong then picks up MoJetts's load with much better back than last year. Tuck is back to assist Stewie, Stokes, and KML upfront and presently all are healthy something they were not last year. I see much stronger options for Geno and have no problem seeing the team being stronger. Plus you've been wrong before.

Jefferson is moving to the 2 position instead of playing PG? Her back was hurt last year?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Until somebody beats you, you are the champions, but the Gamecocks have both depth and experience this season. We may not beat you in Gampel, but we have a huge fan base and there will be lots of rooster boosters in Tampa next spring.
Experience? At what? Final Four experience? Pretty gutsy to assume you will be in the FF in Tampa.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think the size of South Carolina could give UConn fits. South Carolina features 4 players 6'4 or taller and I think that Staley is going to try to go big against UConn and start Wilson, White, and Coates together. I think they are going to pound the ball inside against and try to dominate the boards. This is where UConn's lack of height kind of scares me. On defense I think that South Carolina is going to try to pack the paint and take away the inside. If they are successful in making UConn 1 dimensional by forcing them outside then UConn could be in trouble. However, if UConn is able to knock down some jump shots and hold its own rebounding, they can get their fast break working and run South Carolina out of the gym. I honestly think that South Carolina is the ONLY team in the country that can beat UConn and it should be fun to watch when they match-up at Gampel and maybe in the NCAA tournament.
I give you credit for supporting your team but this is UConn. Not Tenn who you lost to. This is mighty UConn. Who last season beat a very big MD team with KML and Tuck out to injuries and beat them at MD. We have two go to players who can outscore you entire team. We have a defense that will suffocate your team. I will take UConn by 20 and it may not be that close. ND last season was +20 better the USC and UConn beat them by +20. There isn't a team in WCBB that can come close to UConn this season and USC will be hyped but in the end UConn by 20+. USC is a very talented team. A top 2/3 team this season but the margin between UConn and everybody else is over double digits. First Dawn must put together a defense that can keep UConn under 60 pts then she must put an offense together that can score against UConns defense 60 pts. In 2 seasons no team has managed to do that. What makes you think that USC a sweet 16 team last season can???????? It will be a big wake up call for Wilson and Coates.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Experience? At what? Final Four experience? Pretty gutsy to assume you will be in the FF in Tampa.
Are most of your fans not assuming that you'll win the national championship?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Are most of your fans not assuming that you'll win the national championship?
Perhaps, but our fans have a lot more base their assumptions on than the dreams of some rooster boosters.

Reaction Score
I give you credit for supporting your team but this is UConn. Not Tenn who you lost to. This is mighty UConn. Who last season beat a very big MD team with KML and Tuck out to injuries and beat them at MD. We have two go to players who can outscore you entire team. We have a defense that will suffocate your team. I will take UConn by 20 and it may not be that close. ND last season was +20 better the USC and UConn beat them by +20. There isn't a team in WCBB that can come close to UConn this season and USC will be hyped but in the end UConn by 20+. USC is a very talented team. A top 2/3 team this season but the margin between UConn and everybody else is over double digits. First Dawn must put together a defense that can keep UConn under 60 pts then she must put an offense together that can score against UConns defense

Tony what exactly are you talking about? First off I am a UConn fan and graduate so I don't understand why you are referring to me as a South Carolina fan. Secondly, I am quite knowledgeable about the UConn team and College Women's Basketball in general. All I was doing was replying to UConnCat and stating that I thought the ONLY team that had the chance to beat UConn was South Carolina. Not that they would beat UConn at all, just that they HAD THE CHANCE. This does not mean I am a USC fan at all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll take Geno over Dawn on the bench any day. I like Dawn and respect her, but I'm not convinced she's an elite coach. A good coach, but great?

Reaction Score

But it doesn't mean they are a significant threat. The whole UCONN team can catch the flu. That could be a "threat" too. Just because there are many, manyy teams worse than USC doesn't mean USC is much of a threat. I guess "threat" means different things for each of us.

For me they have to rely too much on Wilson in NCAA's. I've seen are all-time greats struggle one game in NCAA. I think Steiw was an exception - for this year I don't care how close they are - come April I don't think they are any significant threat unless "the UCONN team catches the flu."

Reaction Score
I simply don't think you replace Dolson and Hartley with Stokes and Chong and somehow become better than the previous season. However, I do think that if you add the number 1 forward and number center in the nation that you do become a much better team. But getting Tuck back will help a lot.

So the moment Stewie came on campus Geno said he was the most gifted talented player he ever had. With her playing in summer - and last year we didn't really have the real KML nor Tuck - you don't think that mkes it easier for the others and easier for Steiw and vice-versa? What does the best palyer in the country mean to you? What happens when you give the best palyer in the country 4 upprclassmen of which we have a MUCH better KML and MoJeff among the best pgs. Would you say the same thing if you had Griner and Sims coming back when they were upperclassmen with simailr type of talent UCONN had?

Bottomline is - I'm not sure you are giving Stewie her due respect. She isn't just an "ordianry a/a." And when you give Stewie KML/MoJeff and Tuck - I'm sorry I don't think you are respecting how great this is. If you had something comparable with Griner and Sims imo you'd be singing a different tune. I'm not arguing no one has a chnace. You have to play the game- but would you have classified Lousiville "as a threat?"

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I don't think you want to admit how good SC is going to be.
It really doesn't matter how good SC can be or is. We're talking UConn which is a team in a different stratosphere. Don't even think about it unless UConn has major injuries. Don't forget UConn got better this year too. Last season how many teams were better then SC??? This year those teams lost key players. This year UConn lost key players and got better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think you don't understand how good this team is going to be by March.
Agree 100% Ice... That's why in the other thread discussing whether this team would be better than last year's team - the 3 AA's we have are all a year better, and 1 of those 3 (KML) will hopefully be 100% healthy the entire year. Add in a rejuvenated Chong (who I'm so thrilled is playing so well), a hopefully 100% healthy Tuck, and at least 2 newbies who are going to be just incredible, I think by March, opponents will just shake their heads and say "I never want to play that team again!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom