Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Debate: Can Anyone Stop UConn's 3 Peat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We may have a height problem after Butler leaves, hard to see one before then...
Yea, but that's like 3 recruiting classes away. We might have an abundance of height by then and be complaining about lack of guards. In fact Dangerfield is the only guard on the books right now after Butler leaves. :eek: We're doomed.

Reaction Score
I simply don't think you replace Dolson and Hartley with Stokes and Chong and somehow become better than the previous season. However, I do think that if you add the number 1 forward and number center in the nation that you do become a much better team. But getting Tuck back will help a lot.

Can we just skip to February?
Stewie will be better, you get a healthy KML, and Tuck, you add a guard in Nurse who just played against professional all-stars, and held her own. That doesn't even take into account Moriah, who just might be the best guard in the nation, then add Stokes, Chong, and the other freshmen, this could be one of the all time great teams, by seasons end.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm assuming you haven't been. (-;

My opinion is that SC will challenge UCONN. I don't expect any UCONN fans to agree with that opinion. I did agree last year that nobody would challenge UCONN, but until I see the team operate without Dolson and Hartley I can't buy into that stance this year.

I agree with that proposition. I am the one UConn fan who will agree, thus throwing myself over the Mojo Cliff for the sake of all UConn fans. What can I say? I'm a giver.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with that proposition. I am the one UConn fan who will agree, thus throwing myself over the Mojo Cliff for the sake of all UConn fans. What can I say? I'm a giver.
We always need willing mojo sacrifices.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I expect UConn to win the regular-season game with South Carolina at home by 15-20 points. Kiah will shut down the offense of their bigs, and Stewart will dominate Wilson just based on greater experience at this level.

But if they play again in the NCAA tournament, it could be a much closer game, and might go either way.

Reaction Score
But if they play again in the NCAA tournament, it could be a much closer game, and might go either way.

Near nil chance for USC to beat UCONN in ff. Wilson way too young to stand to up to Stewie. Don't matter how close it is - they really can't win that ff or finals game. Refs aren't going to foul out Stewie.

The following year anything could happen. USC has to depend too mcuh on Wilson and "the height/size" of USC is being way too overrated by some. Three point shooting blows away plodding slow offense. Our pg will dictate the tempo.

Reaction Score
Are most of your fans not assuming that you'll win the national championship?
It's amazing that a remarkably underachieving team is what you're throwing out there. How many meaningful games did they win last year??? As has been mentioned, the only team that they beat that was a top tier team was Kentucky and Kentucky wasn't overly impressive. The only thing that they are hanging their head on is that they got an exceptional freshman coming in. Their last year run in the NCAA tournament was embarrassing!!!!!

Reaction Score
I expect UConn to win the regular-season game with South Carolina at home by 15-20 points. Kiah will shut down the offense of their bigs, and Stewart will dominate Wilson just based on greater experience at this level.

Why is that? Are you suggesting that USC will improve and UConn won't? With 3 potential All-Americans, UConn is going to possibly lose to a team that couldn't get past a Sweet 16 game?

Reaction Score
I love all the comments above, but lets face the facts here. With all of the returning talent and experience UCONN has and don't forget they had a great recruiting class as did SC I really don't see anyone in UCONN's class. A good example is Kia Nurse. What incoming frosh for SC has the experience she has Playing with Canadian National team puts her way above any incoming frosh than any other college has recruited. The experience of playing in two final fours also counts a lot. UCONN, barring any forseen circumstances will be a dynasty for a while and as the fans of Bre in Central NY say it's not 3 peat it's Bre-peat.
KML has played in three Final Fours as has Kia Stokes and there is nothing better than experience in key games like that. Meanwhile, USC was one of the major disappointments in the tournament so how they are supposed to be such a big threat amazes me. You've got to be able to win big games and they don't seem to be able to do that. Aja Wilson obviously is a big addition but as has been mentioned, we've got the No. 1 recruiting class and that depth is going to be beneficial. Having three potential All-Americans and a finally healthy Morgan Tuck along with a marvelously talented and CONFIDENT Kia Stokes with a reportedly much improved Saniya should have UConn in pretty good shape to take care of business if USC even makes the Final Four. Until they've shown an ability to win a big game, whose to say that they can????

Reaction Score
Wilson had problems with Coker guards on defense... she has a long way to go to be able to match up with Stewart and make a difference in that level of game.
Isabelle dominated the South Carolina frontcourt because her skill set has a lot of variety. They are good, but you put a smart frontcourt player on the court who has some speed and a team can offset any size and depth mismatch with them.

My crazy prediction... Texas A&M will be better than SC.

Reaction Score
Wilson had problems with Coker guards on defense... she has a long way to go to be able to match up with Stewart and make a difference in that level of game.
Isabelle dominated the South Carolina frontcourt because her skill set has a lot of variety. They are good, but you put a smart frontcourt player on the court who has some speed and a team can offset any size and depth mismatch with them.

I don't like playing TAMU; they somehow mess up our game. Don't ask me to explain it; just watch replays.

Reaction Score

I don't know enough about the team overall but they seem very guard oriented (even w/o Walker) while picking up another couple of guards (maybe 1 is a "wing.") that aren't freshmen as well. Along with another true frosh good recruit post. Strong guard play to me usually trumps strong post play. Both USC and TAM are interesting to watch this year - obvioulsy their high rankings suggest that anyways.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting question re SC's experience, and it isn't just players but coaching staff as well. They lost early in the SEC and in NCAA tournaments last year. They got good experience going as far as they did, but Championship games in conference tournaments and FF in the NCAAs is a whole other experience. I respect Staley as a coach and think her USA experience was very good for her. Playing Uconn in the regular season is also a huge step up for the team in terms of preparation. They certainly have a very talented team and they are really in no worse a position experience wise with TN whose coach/players haven't made the FF either. TAM has coaching experience but no player experience either.
SEC, ACC, Big12, B1G and Pac are all a bit of a mystery to me this year - ND, Baylor, MD, and Stanford all have the experience but all lost their best players and may face real challenges to their supremacy.

Reaction Score
Geno once made the statement that before a team becomes great they must have some heartbreak to drive them, and he used the 2001-2002 team as an example. The 2001 team he said was the greatest team he's ever had and because of several reasons didn't win the NC and the 2002 team came back with a mission to dominate every game and win the NC going undefeated! SoCar has not proven they can get to the next level and go beyond so they may be a year or 2 away!
Don't anoit A'ja Wison as the next great star, she hasn't proven herself on the collegiate level! Remember Elizabeth Williams came out of HS as #1 and she's just an average big girl going into her senior year! Also remember it took Tina Charles 2 years to "wake up" and have the confidence to dominate!
Every team and player has potential, but very few realize all they can be! Duke has always been the potential next big team, and they've underachieved the last 3 years! Injuries had a major reason for that.

Reaction Score
I guess the three losses to ND were this teams heartbreak?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Why is that? Are you suggesting that USC will improve and UConn won't? With 3 potential All-Americans, UConn is going to possibly lose to a team that couldn't get past a Sweet 16 game?
UCONN lost 2 starters and USC lost nobody. We were 12-2 in the best or 2nd best conference in the country, so we beat plenty of good teams. We ran out of gas in the postseason because we didn't have quality depth. That problem has been solved this season with a great incoming recruiting class and more experience by the returnees.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UCONN lost 2 starters and USC lost nobody. We were 12-2 in the best or 2nd best conference in the country, so we beat plenty of good teams. We ran out of gas in the postseason because we didn't have quality depth. That problem has been solved this season with a great incoming recruiting class and more experience by the returnees.
The difference being we went 40-0 with no team even really challenging us, and yes we lost two high draft picks, but also brought in very good replacements.
Yes the SEC is a much stronger conference, but its top end has been suspect for a while - the last SEC final four teams were TN and LSU in 2008!!! TA&M is the last current SEC team to make it there in 2011 while it was still in the Big12. Interestingly the AAC had more teams in the elite eight than the mighty SEC last year.:eek:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn had no bench last season to speak of. They had key injuries and had to play almost every minute of every big games limping and still won every game by double digits. Now UConn replaces Bria with a more experienced leader in MoJeff and Saniya and Kia Nurse aren't chopped liver. Add in Kiah to replace Stef with a heathy Tuck . USC is good but not UConn good. The biggest difference is UConn doesn't worry about beating top teams while USC is concerned about teams like Tenn TAM etc. UConn blows them out USC while USC doesnt blow them out. To overcome 4 AAs and two premier player in Stewie and KML and double digit wins in every game is a lot to ask of any team. IMO ND is a better team then USC this season. Maybe not as big and talented but as far as team chemistry and continuity ND imo is number 2 USC 3 TAM 4 and Tenn 5/6 until proven. JMO

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UConn had no bench last season to speak of. They had key injuries and had to play almost every minute of every big games limping and still won every game by double digits. Now UConn replaces Bria with a more experienced leader in MoJeff and Saniya and Kia Nurse aren't chopped liver. Add in Kiah to replace Stef with a heathy Tuck . USC is good but not UConn good. The biggest difference is UConn doesn't worry about beating top teams while USC is concerned about teams like Tenn TAM etc. UConn blows them out USC while USC doesnt blow them out. To overcome 4 AAs and two premier player in Stewie and KML and double digit wins in every game is a lot to ask of any team. IMO ND is a better team then USC this season. Maybe not as big and talented but as far as team chemistry and continuity ND imo is number 2 USC 3 TAM 4 and Tenn 5/6 until proven. JMO
You're referring to last year's team that didn't have quality depth and was relatively young. That is no longer the case. Luckily, we play each other so it will be settled on the court.

Reaction Score
You're referring to last year's team that didn't have quality depth and was relatively young. That is no longer the case. Luckily, we play each other so it will be settled on the court.

Yes it will be settled on the court. USC has never played a team like UCONN, but maybe Geno will call off the horses early.

Reaction Score
cockhrnleghrn- - - How is SoCar going to stop KML, Stewart, MoJeff, Tuck, Chong, Stokes, Nurse and the 3 freshmen? Will they play 10 v 5? By the time SoCar comes to Gampel in Feb. the first 6 above will be avg. double figures, with Stewart & KML avg. 18 to 20 pts. per game!
Also with UCONN's defense holding opponents to 40 pts. per game if those 6 hit for only 8 pts. each they'll still win 48 to 40!
Bet the ranch that UCONN scores between 75 and 85 pts. vs SoCar.
You sound like TN Nation "now that we have DD we'll win the next 50 NC's! Until you do it (9NC's) you haven't done it! It's quite a mountain you're asking your young ladies to accomplish! They're not ready yet for what UCONN brings to the table!
Remember you're playing AT Gampel, with 10,000+ fans, all the banners and numbers, etc. I hope they can keep their pre-game meals down!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
cockhrnleghrn- - - How is SoCar going to stop KML, Stewart, MoJeff, Tuck, Chong, Stokes, Nurse and the 3 freshmen? Will they play 10 v 5? By the time SoCar comes to Gampel in Feb. the first 6 above will be avg. double figures, with Stewart & KML avg. 18 to 20 pts. per game!
Also with UCONN's defense holding opponents to 40 pts. per game if those 6 hit for only 8 pts. each they'll still win 48 to 40!
Bet the ranch that UCONN scores between 75 and 85 pts. vs SoCar.
You sound like TN Nation "now that we have DD we'll win the next 50 NC's! Until you do it (9NC's) you haven't done it! It's quite a mountain you're asking your young ladies to accomplish! They're not ready yet for what UCONN brings to the table!
Remember you're playing AT Gampel, with 10,000+ fans, all the banners and numbers, etc. I hope they can keep their pre-game meals down!
How are you going to stop Tiffany Mitchell, Aleighsa Welch, Alaina Coates and A'ja Wilson? We have overwhelming height inside and can go big or small and quick on the perimeter, too. We play in tough arenas on the road every season, including ones a lot bigger than Gampel.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How are you going to stop Tiffany Mitchell, Aleighsa Welch, Alaina Coates and A'ja Wilson? We have overwhelming height inside and can go big or small and quick on the perimeter, too. We play in tough arenas on the road every season, including ones a lot bigger than Gampel.
The same way UCONN has shut down every opponent historically leading to margins of victory approaching 35-40 points per game again and again. Kentucky's "40 minutes of Hell, " two seasons ago became completely inverted when they played UCONN in the tournament but that is just what happens to everyone. UCONN fans have heard everything your suggesting about Duke, MD, and others. It doesn't turn out that way. The only teams consistently presenting problems are teams with extensive experience against UCONN then it is still an extreme challenge for them. SoCar could have a chance but history tells us that isn't likely. Especially, when SoCar has yet to win a really "big" game."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Height without superior experience/talent is so overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom