OT: - David Ortiz Shot | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: David Ortiz Shot

Reaction Score
I'm a native of the Dominican Republic - disclaimer

In my honest opinion, trying to be as unbiased as I can, I think the tourist deaths situation in the DR is being overblown. Why do I say that? Because its not unusual for 8-20 American tourists to die on any given year in the DR while doing tourism. That, however, doesn't mean Americans are being targeted or that it was due to crime in the first place. Many of these deaths occur for reasons other than crime - alcohol related, drowning, heart attacks, car accidents, etc. For some reason, all of the sudden this has blown up in the media as if this something unusual. It's not! You can go to the US travel site and see how many American deaths occur in the DR on a yearly basis (FYI: keep in mind some of these deaths in that website are actually Dominican-Americans who travel to the cities). Further investigation by the Dominican authorities in collaboration with the USA have concluded that the last few deaths that have popped up in the US media have been due to natural causes.

Is the Dominican Republic safe for tourist? Yes, it is. The statistics show that the Dominican all-inclusive resort industry is very safe for international travelers that visit us on a yearly basis. This is a fact! It is very rare for any crime to occur in a Dominican resort town areas. The local population also tends to cater to tourists, not try to hurt them. Outside the resort towns things can get a little more muddy. When you step out the resort towns you are obviously at increased risk, but there are definitely safe ways to tour the DR. I know many Americans that have rented cars and have done extensive road-trips across the country. If you do decide to tour the country, I would recommend either a guided tour or car rental. If you decide to do your own road-trip, at least please do your inter-city travel/driving during the day. Dominicans drive very aggressively and with little respect to the rules of the road. Highway infrastructure is world-class across the country, yet we have region-leading traffic fatality rates due to lack of civility on the road. The government has done a great job improving our infrastructure but people need more education.

Santo Domingo is also becoming a nice cultural experience (first euro colonial city in the western hemisphere) with its entire colonial district recently renovated. Hotels cropping up all over the city and like I said before - world class highway linking Punta Cana to Santo Domingo in under 3 hours. Santiago de los Caballeros is amazing city all around in the north side of the country. Jarabacoa/Constanza offer eco-touristic experiences like no other. This past January I hiked the Duarte Peak, highest in the caribbean, it was great!

The last three road-trips (each two week long) I have made across the DR have been wonderful experiences with my wife (UConn grad, also native of DR). But never do I dare to do any highway driving at night, not worth the risk. I've gone as far as the Haitian border. Its been good all around. Obviously, its easier when you know Spanish and your a native of the country

Is the Dominican Republic a safe country for its native residents? By North-American/European standards, no freaking way! There is a lot of theft, stick-ups, and all sorts of crime affecting the native Dominican population on a daily basis. Something you are just not used to seeing in the USA. By Latin American standards, however, it remains one of the safer countries. The homicide rate is surprisingly low for Latin American standards.

The rapid economic growth over the last 25 years combined with extreme economic inequality have made matters worst for the safety of the average Dominican. There is no way to hide it. Crime (not homicides) is one of the top concerns for Dominicans living back at home. Its the topic of discussion every time I visit. Especially in the poorer barrios/ghettos of the cities.

Regarding David Ortiz:

I saw the official announcement yesterday in regards to the details of the crime. It was extensive, a lot of video evidence of the planning before and during the hit. They concluded that David Ortiz was not the target. Boy, for me it's really hard to believe that. Most Dominicans are in doubt also. Apparently the real target was a friend of Ortiz sitting on the same table, who was involved with drug-dealing. It's just hard to believe that they would mix-up Ortiz (a black and fairly oversized man) for a light-skinned slim Dominican drug-dealer sitting next to him.

Many of us believe that Ortiz was the intended target - rumors out there saying Ortiz was messing with the wrong woman (a woman "belonging" to a drug dealer) and they set out to kill him. We also think that perhaps they are covering him up so that his Hall of Fame candidacy is not put a risk. I guess we will never know. These controversial cases always leave us with a sense of doubt, especially in the DR where we don't exactly have the best justice system to say the least!

Reaction Score
Two funny and interesting things overheard on this one today:

1) The hit wasn't supposed to kill Ortiz. He was supposed to be shot in the spine so he'd be paralyzed from the waist down and his "little Papi" wouldn't work anymore. As punishment for sleeping with the drug lord's lady.

2) What's the only thing scarier than being shot in the Dominican Republic? Being in a hospital in the Dominican Republic!

Reaction Score
Two funny and interesting things overheard on this one today:

1) The hit wasn't supposed to kill Ortiz. He was supposed to be shot in the spine so he'd be paralyzed from the waist down and his "little Papi" wouldn't work anymore. As punishment for sleeping with the drug lord's lady.

2) What's the only thing scarier than being shot in the Dominican Republic? Being in a hospital in the Dominican Republic!
1) was my first thought when I saw the video of the hit. The guy who put out the hit wanted Ortiz to suffer.

Reaction Score

Not sure whats up with the NYPost. But are they really talking about Deaths that occurred in 2016 and 2018?

Like I said. 8-20 American tourists die on a yearly basis in the DR. Not sure why this is blowing all up all the sudden... It appears the causes were due to heart attacks. That can happen anywhere and anytime sadly. May they rest in peace :(

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not sure whats up with the NYPost. But are they really talking about Deaths that occurred in 2016 and 2018?

Like I said. 8-20 American tourists die on a yearly basis in the DR. Not sure why this is blowing all up all the sudden... It appears the causes were due to heart attacks. That can happen anywhere and anytime sadly. May they rest in peace :(

I will say that I’ve traveled pretty extensively in Latin America, and the DR was my least favorite spot. Spent a lot of time in San Jose, Costa Rica and all over Argentina, Puerto Rico, and in Kingston and had a few unfortunate run ins in DR. Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo was really pretty, though

Reaction Score

Their families think they were drugged. I think it's a big story because a significant number of seemingly healthy Americans died from some sort of heart trauma after having alcohol. That doesn't just happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Are we supposed to be comforted that "8-20 American tourists die on a yearly basis in the DR"? Because that's not comforting in the least. We're at 9 for this year so far. Keep in mind that isn't counting other foreign tourist deaths. Weird cluster of heart attacks.

Reaction Score
Stay classy, superjohn. The guy's still in the ICU.

The extent to which David Ortiz triggers Yankee fans - simply because he played for a rival team - is truly astounding. This type of attitude is everywhere on #yankeestwitter.

Thanks to Boston’s recent run of incredible success on the field, Boston fans have (rightfully) become infamous on the internet because of how insufferable we can be.

But, since the New York teams have largely been out of sight, out of mind as of late (the last Yankees World Series win was well before our current Twitter age), the country has forgotten just how disgusting many of them can be.

Reaction Score
Are we supposed to be comforted that "8-20 American tourists die on a yearly basis in the DR"? Because that's not comforting in the least. We're at 9 for this year so far. Keep in mind that isn't counting other foreign tourist deaths. Weird cluster of heart attacks.

If you have 3 million Americans tourists traveling in the DR it is expected that several will die due to natural circumstance during their stay abroad, or due to accidents, drowning, heat stroke, etc. If you go to the US travel site and check for American deaths in France you will see 9-10 deaths a year. To try to spin it as an attack on Americans is not appropriate.

197 US Citizens died in Mexico from January 2018 to December 2018 as per the travel.state.gov site. I find it odd that the NYPost is not making an article for each one of those deaths.

Reaction Score
Their families think they were drugged. I think it's a big story because a significant number of seemingly healthy Americans died from some sort of heart trauma after having alcohol. That doesn't just happen.

Healthy? Most of the articles that I've read have shown some of these tourists had pre-existing health issues

Reaction Score
The extent to which David Ortiz triggers Yankee fans - simply because he played for a rival team - is truly astounding. This type of attitude is everywhere on #yankeestwitter.

Thanks to Boston’s recent run of incredible success on the field, Boston fans have (rightfully) become infamous on the internet because of how insufferable we can be.

But, since the New York teams have largely been out of sight, out of mind as of late (the last Yankees World Series win was well before our current Twitter age), the country has forgotten just how disgusting many of them can be.
Are you another one who thinks the most famous Dominican person was shot in the back at point blank range because they thought he was some other guy?

CL82

Reaction Score
If you have 3 million Americans tourists traveling in the DR it is expected that several will die due to natural circumstance during their stay abroad, or due to accidents, drowning, heat stroke, etc. If you go to the US travel site and check for American deaths in France you will see 9-10 deaths a year. To try to spin it as an attack on Americans is not appropriate.

197 US Citizens died in Mexico from January 2018 to December 2018 as per the travel.state.gov site. I find it odd that the NYPost is not making an article for each one of those deaths.

Agree, but heart attack clusters?

Reaction Score
I will say that I’ve traveled pretty extensively in Latin America, and the DR was my least favorite spot. Spent a lot of time in San Jose, Costa Rica and all over Argentina, Puerto Rico, and in Kingston and had a few unfortunate run ins in DR. Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo was really pretty, though

That's fine. You are free to have a preference on your travels. I'm not here trying to change people's mind about their travel experiences/preferences. I've done my fair share of traveling across Latin America (Argentina/Brazil/Chile/Cuba/Mexico/Uruguay) and had wonderful experiences in each of those countries. I would say Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile, and Montevideo were my top experiences so far. I'm looking forward to checking San Jose (CR) and Panama City (Panama) this upcoming year.

Going back on topic: I'm simply trying to give my opinion on a situation that for me appears to be normal/expected and its being treated as out of the ordinary or as if there is an attack on American citizens. Again, there are almost 3 million Americans that visit the Dominican Republic on a yearly basis. Most of them decide to stay in the resorts. Assuming 20 deaths per year and 3 million tourists, that is 1 fatality for every 150,000 visitors. In an ideal world we would wish there were no deaths while Americans were visiting the DR.

Reaction Score
Agree, but heart attack clusters?

As per the investigations so far they haven't been able to link those heart attacks to any non-natural cause.

Its worth keeping in mind that about 600,000 people die yearly in the USA due to heart disease (about 25% of all US deaths). Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the USA. Combine that with 12+ hours of sun, excessive alcohol, partying and for me it doesn't seem unexpected that these things happen

Reaction Score
Are you another one who thinks the most famous Dominican person was shot in the back at point blank range because they thought he was some other guy?

I’m saying; at this point, who cares?

Reaction Score
I’m saying; at this point, who cares?
Dominican gov't cares. I agree in the whole scheme of things, who cares but the suspension of disbelief if pretty silly.

I remember a time when it seemed most of Red Sox nation was calling the Yankees cheaters with their steroid filled lineup while pretending it wasn't the same exact thing with Boston. I just like things called straight. I've always called out the players on my favorite teams.

Reaction Score

Yanks have been in the playoffs hanging around minus WS so we’re not at all out of mind. And I’ve seen more than you although this run is impressive I admit. But if you want disgusting again, live in MA it’s pitiful. And all we’re pointing out is it’s a fraud trying to tell us the trigger wasn’t meant for him. Do you honestly think yank fans are the only ones laughing at that.

And by the way you guys bow to a cheater every move he makes and make fun of our cheater (ARod) who slapped the ball out of someone’s glove. We don’t even like ARod nevermind worship him. So relax on “disgusting” or check the mirror before you write it.

Reaction Score
Yanks have been in the playoffs hanging around minus WS so we’re not at all out of mind. And I’ve seen more than you although this run is impressive I admit. But if you want disgusting again, live in MA it’s pitiful. And all we’re pointing out is it’s a fraud trying to tell us the trigger wasn’t meant for him. Do you honestly think yank fans are the only ones laughing at that.

And by the way you guys bow to a cheater every move he makes and make fun of our cheater (ARod) who slapped the ball out of someone’s glove. We don’t even like ARod nevermind worship him. So relax on “disgusting” or check the mirror before you write it.

My how the once mighty have fallen.

So sad.

Reaction Score
My how the once mighty have fallen.

So sad.

You must be under 35 because all you spoiled Boston fans under 35 forget the misery the old timers experienced.

And fyi there only 3 teams I absolutely hate Yankees, duke and Syracuse. I'm the furthest thing from a yankee fan

Reaction Score
You must be under 35 because all you spoiled Boston fans under 35 forget the misery the old timers experienced.

And fyi there only 3 teams I absolutely hate Yankees, duke and Syracuse. I'm the furthest thing from a yankee fan

Exactly from an outsiders perspective. Promise under 35 no doubter. We have lots of fans like him....nah.

CL82

Reaction Score
As per the investigations so far they haven't been able to link those heart attacks to any non-natural cause.

Its worth keeping in mind that about 600,000 people die yearly in the USA due to heart disease (about 25% of all US deaths). Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the USA. Combine that with 12+ hours of sun, excessive alcohol, partying and for me it doesn't seem unexpected that these things happen
Ironically, many of them get the urge to travel to the DR immediately before their first cardiac event...

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom