Dave Pasch and Bill Walton calling the UConn/Arizona game. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dave Pasch and Bill Walton calling the UConn/Arizona game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The game has to be close. That way he has no chance to bring on National Geographic. I can hear both coaches now, "okay guys look,we cannot let our fans down. fight!!! Keep the game close. Do not let him go astray." I lived 4 years in Gresham/Troutdale area off the the Columbia. Gorgeous river. A sight to see.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Walton will go off on tangents regardless of the score. Pasch tries really hard to herd him back on topic, but it's an uphill battle. I really feel for Pasch, being Walton's broadcast partner is a tough job.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I lived 4 years in Gresham/Troutdale area off the the Columbia. Gorgeous river. A sight to see.

I grew up just a bit further east in White Salmon, WA, right across the river from Hood River.

Reaction Score
I can sort of understand how you wouldn't want to listen to Walton if it were a game you were really invested in. I will admit that for everything I love him for he doesn't really have a great feel for when to hit the brakes and he'll just ramble through a key crunch-time possession talking about God knows what. Usually it's just some PAC 12 game so I don't care but if you aren't familiar with his routine and are just trying to get information, it doesn't surprise me that you'd prefer somebody else.

But to the people who simply don't find him entertaining, refreshing, and endearing...we must live in different worlds. Not saying I want everybody to be like him, but the fact that he's different is what makes it work.

Reaction Score
"Did I ever tell you about the time I had a peyote-induced hugging session with a cactus? It was life-changing, Dave!"

"Do you know that the worlds best-preserved meteor crator is in Arizona, Dave? It's nearly a mile wide and 550ft feet deep. About as deep of a hole as the Huskies tend to dig themselves at the start of most games."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
For the people that like Walton, how often do you listen to him? Only occasionally I could get the appeal of the novelty of it. If he was calling the game for a team you follow nearly every game, I don't see how it's humanly possible to not get sick of his shtick. I won't say he repeats the same stories over and over again (well, he does pretty much), but his ramblings start to get fairly redundant after a while, and not particularly enjoyable.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Volume off, I don't need to hear another story about the Grateful Dead or hiking or pot references while I'm watching college basketball.

The man may have knowledge of the game, if his brain is on function mode, but he NEVER SHARES IT. Total waste, no pun intended

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do some kind of hallucinogen before the game and you will have a greater appreciation.

Wish there was an "absolutely love this post" option.

I think you're on to something. May break out a few Rolling Rocks

Reaction Score
I think @8893 is really onto something with his theory and in fact he may have stole it from me. Tell me whether you like Bill Walton and I can predict a lot about your personality in general.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Walton will go off on tangents regardless of the score. Pasch tries really hard to herd him back on topic, but it's an uphill battle. I really feel for Pasch, being Walton's broadcast partner is a tough job.

More like mission impossible. Pasch must privately wonder what horrible things he did to deserve getting stuck with that ass clown.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can't stand him doing the game. So pretty much proof of concept.;)
I'm not sure the converse is true, i.e., I don't think someone hating Walton as an announcer means I will dislike them. And I don't dislike you CL, however misguided I think you may be at times (I would use a cute emoji here but I hate them).

I'm just pretty sure I would have more common interests and things to talk about with people who do like him.

@nwhoopfan , you make a good point about the novelty factor, which I admit is a big part of the attraction for me. I find him refreshing because he is a nice reminder that it is a game, and you should never take yourself or anything else too seriously, except enjoying life. But yeah if he did every game I'm sure it would grow old pretty fast for me. It is precisely because he is so different that I enjoy him.

As for Pasch or whoever is teamed with him trying to manage, that is part of the beauty. The ones who embrace it tend to do best; the ones who fight it make for great unintentional comedy.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I grew up just a bit further east in White Salmon, WA, right across the river from Hood River.
It is a beautiful area. Had a small apartment in Gresham,then moved to Troutdale in a Condo. You couldn't seethe river because of trees. However a clear shot at Mt. St.Helens. 50 miles away (as the crow flies) however looked like it was not more than a mile away. My office was in a shopping center. You could look to the right and see MT. Hood. Again,close to 50 miles away but looked like you could be there in 15 minutes. Huge. One day the siren went off. Everyone running out side to see what was going on. They thought Mt.Hood was letting out smoke. Found out that winds were so bad it was blowing snow off the cap. I ran a 10K there, I forget what road we started on but a couple of miles away we went over the bridge to WA. A couple of miles later ran turned around and went back.

Excellent memories there.

Reaction Score
Bill Walton is the Chief of college basketball commentators...
Both are self-centered, obnoxious, and terrible at what they do... yet somehow they manage to stick around for some weak entertainment-value.

I'll have the game muted tomorrow night.
Yup, mine will also be muted.

Reaction Score
8297237F-5AF3-487B-B164-CEF732810573.jpeg
I want to destroy Arizona.

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You could look to the right and see MT. Hood. Again,close to 50 miles away but looked like you could be there in 15 minutes. Huge.

Hood is a beautiful mountain. My parents have a great view of the north side of it from their house. I've hiked a number of trails on it's shoulders, haven't been to the summit though. Haven't done any hiking around St. Helens. Climbed Mt. Adams right after I graduated high school, have done a few other hikes out that way. The whole Gorge area, in the vicinity of Multnomah Falls, is a waterfall lover's paradise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom