Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The last thing he wants is to allow a team, like MS St, to walk the ball up the court and reduce the number of offensive possessions for the Huskies in a game.

If that's the last thing he wants he should've changed strategies in that game.

Still don't think we'll see much pressing and trapping. Geno considers doing that a lot a gimmick to cover deficiencies. He had the one super young, deep team do it in the late 90's but never since. Think it'll be pretty straight up save for the occasional implementation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So does Z come in before or after Gabby gets her 2nd foul trying to guard A’ja Wilson?

Obviously, Geno has to establish a rotation that makes sense. The greatest advantage of having Z start the game is that Pheesa, Gabby & Lou all get to match up with smaller players who they will often dominate.

With Z’s ability to shoot the 3, she can pull the opposing center away from the basket allowing Pheesa and Gabby to score in the paint virtually at will.

Think of the shots missed by Pheesa in the national semifinal under the basket because of the defensive pressure of 6’7” Teira McGowan, and then think about those shots with McGowan chasing Z around the perimeter.

I really see Danger coming into the game as a change of pace to speed up the game. No one on the team is better in the open floor with the ball in her hand than Danger, but UConn is much easier to match up with if Danger is the 5th starter than if Z is the starter.

This question will not get resolved until 11/12 at the earliest, and even then it may take several games before Geno settles on a rotation. But IMO the Huskies are a better team with Z in the starting lineup.
I think you are being too pessimistic about Gabby's foul trouble. I think Z comes in at the TV timeout in the middle of Q1.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno basically had 6 players he could play with any confidence against MS St. He had no depth and couldn’t afford foul trouble. That limited his options.

Not sure depth matters when you're down 15.

Reaction Score
If Crystal Dangerfield does start the 1st 2 off the bench will be "big girls", Azura And Camara. It makes more sense for Azura to start at 6'6" and have Crystal Dangerfield as first G off the bench to change the tempo of the game and Camara as first big girl!
I realize a "source says", but we've seen in the past that the "source" at 1st and 2nd practice wasn't as accurate come 1st game time! MIND GAMES always are a possibility in early season practices!

Reaction Score
johnwooden1-2x.jpg

Reaction Score
Our point--my point, at least--is not that Crystal will play more than Azura. It's that Crystal is more likely to start in my opinion. Azura will play center most of the game against S.C. and much of many games.

Some of the great passing last year was because Gabby played high post center. What happens when Azura plays center instead?
IMO, if Stevens plays the high post 5, her ability to look over the defense on the hi-lo should help Williams and Collier to clean up inside.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The Podcasters (see Podcast Sighting thread) do not see Crystal starting. Also indicate Mykala's stock is way up.
Outside of Geno and CD, Shea and Marisa, no one else really knows who will start. I don't believe the starters will be determined until the players have proven themselves to be starters in next 20 or so practices.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the practices are going to be more interesting than some of
the games we will be viewing. Everyone will be fighting for minutes and Geno
has the hook for anyone not giving their all. It should be very competitive at
practice time. I think we will see maximum effort from all. It's a nice problem
to have as a coach. Go Huskies!!

As long as nobody gets hurt, busting something other than her butt.

Reaction Score
I am guessing that the practices are going to be more interesting than some of
the games we will be viewing. Everyone will be fighting for minutes and Geno
has the hook for anyone not giving their all. It should be very competitive at
practice time. I think we will see maximum effort from all. It's a nice problem
to have as a coach. Go Huskies!!

As long as nobody busts more than her butt. Let the excitement continue.

Reaction Score
Gabby will not sit, that's just crazy talk. You need Gabby to anchor the UCONN defense.

It's not that crazy.

For the people that think Z walks on water then she must start at the 5 right?

I'm pretty confident that pheese is one of the best players in the college game thus she must start at 4.

Lou is locked in at 3 and Kia at 2 right?

You put danger at point and it's not that crazy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why? For every person that thinks Azura walks on water, there is another person that thinks Gabby, KLS, and Napheesa also walk on water.
Gabby play the 5 last year at AA level. I would not lock any UCONN player into any position.
I'm pretty confident that pheese is one of the best players in the college game.....
So is Gabby & KLS & Azura & Kia.....
Why? I would not lock any UCONN player into any position. Let's check with Megan Walker and Geno before we go down that route.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not that crazy.

I'm pretty confident that pheese is one of the best players in the college game thus she must start at 4.

You put danger at point and it's not that crazy.
Sitting an returning AA, Senior Capt., assist leader, defensive stopper? , yea that's pretty crazy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not trying to use a sledgehammer to make a point but...

GUARANTEED starters - Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, Lou. I'm not even sure why anyone would possibly consider debating that. 3 of them were AA's last year. There is literally ZERO chance that Geno brings Gabby off the bench - senior, started every game last year, one of the captains of the team, incredibly hard worker, and DPOY.

There is also zero chance that Lou or Pheesa come off the bench. Both 1st team AA's, started every game last year in addition to Gabby and Kia. .00001% chance Kia comes off the bench. Heart and soul of the team - leader, intensity, 100% effort 100% of the time. Not an AA, but world class 3 point threat and no one is tougher.

That leaves Crystal or Azura. I'm fine with either one, but as I said before, IMHO Crystal should start. According to excellent sources, she has the inside track. I doubt very much Geno is playing mind games. Crystal is earning the starting spot at this time. Maybe Azura will up her game even more and earn it ahead of Crystal at some future date. Mind games has a negative connotation. I think Geno is pretty upfront and honest about who's playing well enough to start and who is not. Just my $.02...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is always a strong correlation between how tough Geno is on a player and how talented they are. As good as Megan Walker is, I hope she can handle Geno’s criticism, because it’s going to be brutal.

I wonder to what extent Geno held the 2 transfers feet to the fire last year, since they both came in with major D1 game experience under their belts.

I'm sure they got a taste, but not to the extent that the 3 freshmen did.

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder to what extent Geno held the 2 transfers feet to the fire last year, since they both came in with major D1 experience under their belts.
I'm sure they got a taste, but not to the extent that the 3 freshmen did.
The transfers were held to the same standard last year as every player who has ever worn a UCONN uniform. You can't get through a clip of practice without Geno barking at someone about something. Geno is definitely an equal opportunity barker until the last semester of your senior year where according to Rebecca and Stewie he start ignoring you. I guess buy that point Geno is tired or hoping that you'll figure it out on your own.
A few of his players have said that you should be really worried when Geno is not on you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
is the best floor general,

I'm not convinced of this, much as I agree with your central premise about the development of PG as key to the UConn way of play. Last year I saw stretches of Crystal stalling the offense while she tried her probing point guard stuff. She was like the little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead. I would be happiest to see her mature into the role in the first half of the season. Stevens will have to make her own way, just like any other UConn player. Going to be lots to discuss in early season, that's for sure, and it won't just be Z and Dangerfield.

Reaction Score
Sitting an returning AA, Senior Capt., assist leader, defensive stopper? , yea that's pretty crazy.

Listen. I'm not saying Geno should do that. I saying it's a suggestion to a problem. There are 6 starters on this team for 5 spots.

What happens if Z is as great as we all think and she has to start? Also what happens if danger is tearing it up and deserves to start? Not out of the question this can happen.

Reaction Score
Why? For every person that thinks Azura walks on water, there is another person that thinks Gabby, KLS, and Napheesa also walk on water.
Gabby play the 5 last year at AA level. I would not lock any UCONN player into any position.

So is Gabby & KLS & Azura & Kia.....

Why? I would not lock any UCONN player into any position. Let's check with Megan Walker and Geno before we go down that route.

I'm just a fan giving an opinion. Clearly there are many more qualified than me to determine this. We will see what happens right?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not trying to use a sledgehammer to make a point but...

There is also zero chance that Lou or Pheesa come off the bench. Both 1st team AA's, started every game last year in addition to Gabby and Kia. .00001% chance Kia comes off the bench. Heart and soul of the team - leader, intensity, 100% effort 100% of the time. Not an AA, but world class 3 point threat and no one is tougher.

I believe this (above) is the first post even to address the possibility that Kia might not start. I also think it is quite unlikely also (< 5%), but not quite as low as you suggest.

Hypothetically, if Crystal emerges as the Second Coming of Moriah, and Azura proves that she is Stewie Reincarnated, so that Geno and the coaches are forced to conclude that they both have to start, then (IMHO) it is more likely that Kia loses her starting spot than that Lou, Gabby, or Napheesa lose theirs. As you have pointed out, she is the only returning starter who is not an All-American (and it isn't just because she is Canadian). She scored less than the other three, and she was (dare I say it) good but not great defensively.

Her 3-point shooting near the end of the season was indeed impressive, and if that continues, I doubt that Crystal's shooting accuracy will be able to match it. So it would then become a trade-off between Kia's shooting and defense vs. Crystal's speed and passing. If Crystal's defense hasn't improved since last year, it will be no contest. But if Crystal has made major strides in that area and shoots reasonably well from distance (better than last year), then there is a chance that she could get more minutes than Kia.

Even if that happens, I think it will be like the Caroline / Bria situation in Caroline's senior year. Caroline started (out of respect to a senior who gave the program everything she had), but Bria came in at the first time-out and got the great majority of minutes for the rest of the game (if it was competitive). It is quite improbable that Kia would actually be pushed out of the starting lineup.

But really, I think the overwhelming probability is that the four returning starters continue to start, and either Crystal or Azura comes off the bench. If Crystal is the normal starter, then I can imagine that Geno might replace Kia with Azura in the starting lineup if the other team had a major weapon in the paint -- someone like Kalani Brown or A'ja Wilson. That would be a first for him (to my recollection), but it is not inconceivable.

ALSO: Someone above said that only Geno and the coaches know who is going to start. I disagree -- I don't think they know either at this point. I think they will all bend over backwards to keep an open mind, so that the final decision is based 100% on what happens in the next month, as opposed to anything that happened last year or on other teams. That is as it should be.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom