Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Azura is the most talented player on the team and she is 6ft. 6in!

I'm sorry how many games has she played with a uconn uniform on? I think it's zero. Playing with the uconn pressure and expectations is a whole different ball game. Crystal has done this and is probably poised for a very solid season. More importantly we need a PG badly to round out the lineup.

These two opinions are exactly why the Boneyard is divided. Some subscribe that the starting unit (and the team) would be better served by AZ starting, while others feel the same about Dangerfield. Neither side is wrong. Each side could present a very compelling argument to support their position. We'll just have to wait and see which way Geno leans.

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The only reason for Crystal to start is to have a reliable scorer coming off the bench. Crystal is not one of the Top 5 players on this team. The top 4 players are Stephens, Williams, Samuelson and Collier. I would put Nurse ahead of Dangerfield based on what we saw from Team Canada and Team USA play. Plus Kia is a Senior and don't see her losing her starting position. Obviously its up to Geno who will start, but I'd have Crystal coming off the bench with Camara and the other freshmen.
Boy Wbbfan1, it seems you have absolutely no confidence in the sophomores other than Dangerfield. I believe they have gained a lot of confidence and with the talent they possess and the experience they got last season, will be more of a factor than many on here think, imo. I think Irwin will be a valuable rebounder and Bent a good defensive stopper.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I expect Meg to get the Lou treatment this year.
There is always a strong correlation between how tough Geno is on a player and how talented they are. As good as Megan Walker is, I hope she can handle Geno’s criticism, because it’s going to be brutal.

Reaction Score
Last year at this time we were trying to figure out where the scoring lost when Bre, Mo, and Tuck left was going to come from. There weren't many players vying for starting spots, so we guessed that Lou would give us 20, Kia 10-15, Gabby the same, etc. I remember that 80 was the magic number. At that point no one knew how consistently excellent a scorer Naphesa was to become. We were most worried about who would be able to rebound and defend with little or no height.

This year we're debating what our current wealth of talent enables us to do. As a measure of whether Crystal should/will start, I ask “Will she score more than Azura? More than Kia? Provide better D than either of those?” [Answer: No.] MoJeff didn't discover her consistent 3 until the last couple of years of her tenure. Dangerfield still hasn't found hers. The main difference between Crystal and other potential starters is the speed she provides. My guess is Geno starts his scorers/defenders and brings Dangerfield off the bench. Kia and Lou can bring it up; Azura provides the missing height and the bonus of a versatile scorer. Nobody pushes Collier and/or Gabby aside. :p

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You’re probably correct, but I would love to see superfrosh Megan Walker emerge as a star by tournament time, much the same as Stewie & Lou did toward the latter half of their freshman seasons
It would be good to see Walker emerge as a star. To me, I would be happy to see any of the freshmen emerge as a star by tournament time. That would be surprising but very beneficial to the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is always a strong correlation between how tough Geno is on a player and how talented they are. As good as Megan Walker is, I hope she can handle Geno’s criticism, because it’s going to be brutal.
I totally agree. Lou had a tough time until Stewie took her out for coffee. Lou may need to pass it forward.

Meg chose UConn, knowing it would be hard, because she wants to be pushed to greatness. As long as she takes the long view, she'll be fine. Her teammates and the fans will buoy her spirits when Geno has been especially tough on her. She just needs to look at the banner of #23 in the lobby as inspiration.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year at this time we were trying to figure out where the scoring lost when Bre, Mo, and Tuck left was going to come from. There weren't many players vying for starting spots, so we guessed that Lou would give us 20, Kia 10-15, Gabby the same, etc. I remember that 80 was the magic number. At that point no one knew how consistently excellent a scorer Naphesa was to become. We were most worried about who would be able to rebound and defend with little or no height.

This year we're debating what our current wealth of talent enables us to do. As a measure of whether Crystal should/will start, I ask “Will she score more than Azura? More than Kia? Provide better D than either of those?” [Answer: No.] MoJeff didn't discover her consistent 3 until the last couple of years of her tenure. Dangerfield still hasn't found hers. The main difference between Crystal and other potential starters is the speed she provides. My guess is Geno starts his scorers/defenders and brings Dangerfield off the bench. Kia and Lou can bring it up; Azura provides the missing height and the bonus of a versatile scorer. Nobody pushes Collier and/or Gabby aside. :p
Honestly, in October, did anyone think that Lou and especially Napheesa would average 20 ppg last year? Maya averaged about 22-23 ppg as a senior. She didn't exceed 19 in any other season. Tina Charles, Stewie, Kaleena, and Diana never averaged 20 ppg. The scoring from Lou and Napheesa was a very pleasant surprise for me. I wonder what this year's big surprises will be??

Reaction Score
Honestly, in October, did anyone think that Lou and especially Napheesa would average 20 ppg last year? Maya averaged about 22-23 ppg as a senior. She didn't exceed 19 in any other season. Tina Charles, Stewie, Kaleena, and Diana never averaged 20 ppg. The scoring from Lou and Napheesa was a very pleasant surprise for me. I wonder what this year's big surprises will be??

I don't think this is a fair comparison. Maya didn't have to average 20 until her senior year, when she averaged more. Honestly, if they didn't, I don't know if they have an undefeated regular season and make the final 4. But, it was a pleasant surprise.

Reaction Score
These two opinions is exactly why the Boneyard is divided. Some subscribe that the starting unit (and the team) would be better served by AZ starting, while others feel the same about Dangerfield starting. Neither side is wrong. Each side could present a very compelling argument to support their position. We'll just have to wait and see which way Geno leans.

I think both have a lot to prove. I keep reading how wonderful Dangerfield played for the USA team, but I want to see it - did she learn to play defense? Ditto on how great Z is based on her Duke stuff. I also think the Nov/Dec games are going to be very interesting as I'm guessing Geno will give several players chances to show what they can do. Should be a fun season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

If the only thing Crystal was better at than other players is the speed she brings, I think we would not be having such a divided BY. Crystal has (in the words of Geno) the best court vision of all the players and that must be nurtured by playing time. Her defense needs to continue to improve but I liked what I saw in the USA events and her 3 pt shot needs to get more consistent but this comes with playing time. Ultimately, she will be driving the Ferrari as a junior. Maybe starter, maybe not but her minutes this year should be comparable to the other 5

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I think it is much easier to handle criticism when living breathing examples of how to play basketball correctly are all around her. She is not in the position that Stewie was in since she was already clearly the best player on the team (potential wise) coming in and it was hard to show her how to do things differently than what she was used to and that could be very frustrating to Stewie I imagine.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a difference between who we think should start, and who will start obviously. There were precious few of us who maintained that Crystal should start in place of graduated Saniya. As Ken (Milford) and a few others pointed out, Crystal brings the best balance to the team.

Sure Kia is a competent PG. But IMHO she's far better as the 2G. Yes I know Geno likes interchangeable players who can play multiple positions, but there's a huge difference between Kia getting herself free to launch a 3 and her playing off the ball to get open to drain a 3. Additionally, if you look back over the years, players like Bird, Montgomery, Chong (2G's converted to PG's), and Jefferson, Williams (Rita), Rizzotti, etc. all ran the team ultimately as PG's. Some started as combo guards, but by the end of their careers, were the unequivocal floor generals. Kia has never been groomed to be the UCONN floor general.

UCONN has struggled in years where they did not have a true PG starting. Most recently, the Doty/Hayes years. Dixon was supposed to be the starting PG and was recruited the same year as Maya, but she was just never good enough to run the team so Geno relied on a pair of combo guards to share the burden, with Doty playing more but sometimes less due to her knees.

My point is, a converted 2G is not the highest and best use of a player, especially when you have a PG who is as talented as Dangerfield. You don't just start the best 5 players, especially if the 6th player in question is as supremely talented as Crystal.

I hope Crystal starts. I doubt very much she scores anywhere near close to what Stevens scores this season. BUT she has the best court vision and is the best floor general, and it's not really close. And that's NOT to take anything away from Kia - she's one of the best guards in the nation and on any other team would likely be on preseason AA lists. But why ASK her to be the starting PG when you have someone as talented as Crystal?

It's likely that after the first 6-7 minutes of any game, Geno will sub freely. Azura should be the first off the bench and could sub in for any of the players should Geno take them out. And Geno knows the team far better than I do, so maybe when November rolls around, he will decide Azura starts and Crystal comes off the bench. I just think there are more compelling reasons for Crystal to start than Azura...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know we go round & round on this, but UConn did not have a true pg last season, and they were the best passing team in the history of WCBB. Saniya, just like Kia was a 2-guard or a combo guard. Also worth noting that the Canadian National Team that won the FIBA Americas Championship this past summer was run by Kia at pg.

On a team where everyone can handle the ball, dribble and pass, a true pg is not necessary. In fact, a pg with the ball in their hands most of the time would probably be a detriment to the Husky offense. That is not to minimize the impact of Danger, which will be considerable. But if the Huskies go to Columbia, SC or Austin, TX with Gabby playing center this year, I will be shocked.

Reaction Score
These two opinions is exactly why the Boneyard is divided. Some subscribe that the starting unit (and the team) would be better served by AZ starting, while others feel the same about Dangerfield starting. Neither side is wrong. Each side could present a very compelling argument to support their position. We'll just have to wait and see which way Geno leans.

Great post. Much respect to u

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I know we go round & round on this, but UConn did not have a true pg last season, and they were the best passing team in the history of WCBB. Saniya, just like Kia was a 2-guard or a combo guard. Also worth noting that the Canadian National Team that won the FIBA Americas Championship this past summer was run by Kia at pg.

Kia did not play point guard for Team Canada at the FIBA Americup. Kia played shooting guard which is the position she has played for the past few international tournaments. Shay Colley and Miah Marie-Langlois played the point for Team Canada. Both Colley and Marie-Langlois are specifically listed as point guards on the team roster while Kia is listed as a guard.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia did not play point guard for Team Canada at the FIBA Americup. Kia played shooting guard which is the position she has played for the past few international tournaments. Shay Colley and Miah Marie-Langlois played the point for Team Canada. Both Colley and Marie-Langlois are specifically listed as point guards on the team roster while Kia is listed as a guard.
Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
But if the Huskies go to Columbia, SC or Austin, TX with Gabby playing center this year, I will be shocked.
Our point--my point, at least--is not that Crystal will play more than Azura. It's that Crystal is more likely to start in my opinion. Azura will play center most of the game against S.C. and much of many games.

Some of the great passing last year was because Gabby played high post center. What happens when Azura plays center instead?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia has become an elite shooter--at both the arc and FT line--so her natural position is SG. She's fine as the secondary PG, but not the primary PG.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Our point--my point, at least--is not that Crystal will play more than Azura. It's that Crystal is more likely to start in my opinion. Azura will play center most of the game against S.C. and much of many games.

Some of the great passing last year was because Gabby played high post center. What happens when Azura plays center instead?
So does Z come in before or after Gabby gets her 2nd foul trying to guard A’ja Wilson?

Obviously, Geno has to establish a rotation that makes sense. The greatest advantage of having Z start the game is that Pheesa, Gabby & Lou all get to match up with smaller players who they will often dominate.

With Z’s ability to shoot the 3, she can pull the opposing center away from the basket allowing Pheesa and Gabby to score in the paint virtually at will.

Think of the shots missed by Pheesa in the national semifinal under the basket because of the defensive pressure of 6’7” Teira McGowan, and then think about those shots with McGowan chasing Z around the perimeter.

I really see Danger coming into the game as a change of pace to speed up the game. No one on the team is better in the open floor with the ball in her hand than Danger, but UConn is much easier to match up with if Danger is the 5th starter than if Z is the starter.

This question will not get resolved until 11/12 at the earliest, and even then it may take several games before Geno settles on a rotation. But IMO the Huskies are a better team with Z in the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Nothing to be sorry about. Kia Nurse rounded out the lineup as the PG pretty well last year. Speaking of Kia Nurse she only had 1 game in a UCONN uniform before she was inserted into the starting line up.

It's clearly not a stupid option to start Z, and it may be the right call. If Z is worthy of the starting slot then she will start. The best lineup may be gabby as sixth coming off bench. I know daggers will be thrown ha

Reaction Score

Gabby will sit.

Picture this

Crystal
Kia
Lou
Pheese
Z

Gabby as instant energy off bench. Boo yah

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gabby will sit.

Picture this

Crystal
Kia
Lou
Pheese
Z

Gabby as instant energy off bench. Boo yah
Interesting picture.

Here’s why that’s unlikely to happen IMO. With all the depth UConn has this season, the Huskies are going to open a lot of their games with a pressure defense with the NDPOY out front on the press terrorizing opposing teams trying to bring the ball up court.

UConn will run guards, wings and forwards in and out of the game to keep the pressure on opposing teams, but they will always have a BIG, who can block shots, back defensively, either Z, Pheesa or Batwoman.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Interesting picture.

Here’s why that’s unlikely to happen IMO. With all the depth UConn has this season, the Huskies are going to open a lot of their games with a pressure defense with the NDPOY out front on the press terrorizing opposing teams trying to bring the ball up court.

I will be shocked if this happens. When was the last time Geno instituted a press for more than a few possessions, 1998?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will be shocked if this happens. When was the last time Geno instituted a press for more than a few possessions, 1998?
My theory is based on a couple data points. Even last season, Geno employed a press at times to speed up opposing teams. The last thing he wants is to allow a team, like MS St, to walk the ball up the court and reduce the number of offensive possessions for the Huskies in a game.

UConn seldom loses when scoring 80 or more points in a game. I believe the last time that happened during a 40 minute regulation game was in 2013 vs ND.

Finally, UConn is always the best conditioned team on the court and they can play fast and still execute, while other teams get tired and commit TO’s.

With the depth and talent this team possesses, IMO we will see a significant amount of pressing and trapping defense this coming season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Oh, crap, now you're going to confuse the issue with facts! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom