Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She is not a "first" year player. Azura has the same amount of UCONN practices under her belt as Crystal and more than twice as much collegiate game experience.
True, but Crystal has far more actual game experience under Geno’s system.

Reaction Score
She is not a "first" year player. Azura has the same amount of UCONN practices under her belt as Crystal and more than twice as much collegiate game experience.

I'm sorry how many games has she played with a uconn uniform on? I think it's zero. Playing with the uconn pressure and expectations is a whole different ball game. Crystal has done this and is probably poised for a very solid season.

More importantly we need a PG badly to round out the lineup.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Azura is the most talented player on the team and she is 6ft. 6in!

I am sure she IS really talented, but I'm going to wait before I say she is the MOST talented. A few All-Americans and an All-Canadian in there with some pretty good history. I want Z to flourish, but will wait for some results before the coronation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm sorry how many games has she played with a uconn uniform on? I think it's zero. Playing with the uconn pressure and expectations is a whole different ball game. Crystal has done this and is probably poised for a very solid season.
More importantly we need a PG badly to round out the lineup.
Nothing to be sorry about. Kia Nurse rounded out the lineup as the PG pretty well last year. Speaking of Kia Nurse she only had 1 game in a UCONN uniform before she was inserted into the starting line up.

HGN

Reaction Score
Who in the hell is "A Source within the program?" Unless that source is identified as Geno Auriemma, I'm a little skeptical to say the least...
Oldude , you shouldn't have had that 5th cup of coffee this morning....LOL

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am sure she IS really talented, but I'm going to wait before I say she is the MOST talented. A few All-Americans and an All-Canadian in there with some pretty good history. I want Z to flourish, but will wait for some results before the coronation.
I agree. It’s clear that Azura is the tallest player on the team. We also know that she’s very talented and a match-up problem. It’s not clear to me that she’s better than Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby.

JS

Reaction Score
You are mistaken. That post was written last night....after my 5th beer. :rolleyes:

7511.jpg

Come to think of it, that's not bamboo you have there.

Looks like it might be a beer can.

No wonder you guys fall down a lot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Who in the hell is "A Source within the program?" Unless that source is identified as Geno Auriemma, I'm a little skeptical to say the least...

The mind games Geno plays in October and November are well known. I suspect the source is Geno, with his own agenda. "Most improved" is one of his things - witness, specifically, in her Jr. year, Saniya.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
7511.jpg

Come to think of it, that's not bamboo you have there.

Looks like it might be a beer can.

No wonder you guys fall down a lot.

:p

Actually, that’s a picture I took at the Washington Zoo of Ling Ling or Bao Bao or Boom Boom...one of those damned pandas....eating a panda popsicle.

Don’t know if the popsicle was laced with vodka. :oops:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
:p

Actually, that’s a picture I took at the Washington Zoo of Ling Ling or Bao Bao or Boom Boom...one of those damned pandas....eating a panda popsicle.

Don’t know if the popsicle was laced with vodka. :oops:

We need the opinion of our silly old bear.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The only reason for Crystal to start is to have a reliable scorer coming off the bench. Crystal is not one of the Top 5 players on this team. The top 4 players are Stephens, Williams, Samuelson and Collier. I would put Nurse ahead of Dangerfield based on what we saw from Team Canada and Team USA play. Plus Kia is a Senior and don't see her losing her starting position. Obviously its up to Geno who will start, but I'd have Crystal coming off the bench with Camara and the other freshmen.

Reaction Score
The only reason for Crystal to start is to have a reliable scorer coming off the bench. Crystal is not one of the Top 5 players on this team. The top 4 players are Stephens, Williams, Samuelson and Collier. I would put Nurse ahead of Dangerfield based on what we saw from Team Canada and Team USA play. Plus Kia is a Senior and don't see her losing her starting position. Obviously its up to Geno who will start, but I'd have Crystal coming off the bench with Camara and the other freshmen.

I've been of the opinion that four individuals are a lock to start, and that the fifth starting position will be between Danger and Stephens. I agree that Stephens may be the "better" player, but as we saw from Geno's inclusion of Griner in the starting lineup down in Rio last year, he can and does value other things such as lineup cohesion and punch off the bench. I'm fine with either one of these two earning the start, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see it change back and forth during the year.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
perhaps it is an indication Geno intends to apply severe pressure D and then run, run, run. that would be a great way to start a game and totally demoralize teams that already will be coming into games doubting themselves.

seems kind of unfair, unsportsmanlike.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carl's source is most likely a coach or team staff. His sources are good. That does not mean that this is a done deal, however. It's only October 11.

I agree that Crystal starting gives the team balance, passing, and ball handling that is needed. If this comes to pass, Azura almost certainly will be the first player off the bench. She will average the same number of minutes as Crystal. Effectively, Geno has 6 players of starter quality and only 5 spots.

Excellent observation Milford. Whoever does not start between Crystal and AZ, will be the 6th man. I think whoever ultimately starts will depend on the "character" Geno wants his starting unit to have/display.

Crystal and AZ bring a different dynamic into the game, so it just depends on which one of those Geno feels best suits the unit and his desires.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Excellent observation Milford. Whoever does not start between Crystal and AZ, will be the 6th man all season.
You’re probably correct, but I would love to see superfrosh Megan Walker emerge as a star by tournament time, much the same as Stewie & Lou did toward the latter half of their freshman seasons

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Excellent observation Milford. Whoever does not start between Crystal and AZ, will be the 6th man. I think which one that ultimately starts will depend on the "character" Geno wants his starting unit to have/display.

Crystal and AZ bring a different dynamic into the game, so it just depends on which one of those Geno feels best suits the unit and his desires.
I like that some folks on the board are open-minded. ;)

I agree that our top 6 are very clear right now. After the Italy trip, Geno listed players by category. The Core 4 were the top group. Crystal and Azura were the next group. Molly and Kyla were in a separate category, perhaps with Batouly, then the frosh were lumped together. I think one of the interesting aspects of the season will be following the development of those outside the top 6. Can Megan force her way into a top 7? Can Mikayla? Or Batouly? Or Kyla?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You’re probably correct, but I would love to see superfrosh Megan Walker emerge as a star by tournament time, much the same as Stewie & Lou did toward the latter half of their freshman seasons
Someone may emerge to become a regular in the rotation. Meg is a likely candidate. If she is consistent and Geno trusts her, it'll happen. I expect Meg to get the Lou treatment this year, which will be hard on her to start, but she'll be forced to grow at a fast pace.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

We ALL would. She's going to have to do that in practice. I don't see her getting enough playing time to show off that emergence before the Christmas break. If she "gets it" early on, she should have enough opportunity to prove it during conference play, and perhaps against one or more of the three OOC teams scheduled during January & February. If the light comes on for her, Geno will probably give her as much "rope" as he can. He's going to need her to be ready next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom