Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

Reaction Score
The conventional wisdom seems to be wrong at this point.

UConn must replace starting guard Saniya Chong, who graduated and moved on to the WNBA's Dallas Wings. Auriemma has options but a source within the program said that Dangerfield -- who is the first to tell you that she had an up-and-down season as a freshman -- has the inside track on that final starting spot as practice begins.

Huskies set to hit practice floor running
If she starts, than who are the other four starters?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There's a difference between who we think should start, and who will start obviously. There were precious few of us who maintained that Crystal should start in place of graduated Saniya. As Ken (Milford) and a few others pointed out, Crystal brings the best balance to the team.

Sure Kia is a competent PG. But IMHO she's far better as the 2G. Yes I know Geno likes interchangeable players who can play multiple positions, but there's a huge difference between Kia getting herself free to launch a 3 and her playing off the ball to get open to drain a 3. Additionally, if you look back over the years, players like Bird, Montgomery, Chong (2G's converted to PG's), and Jefferson, Williams (Rita), Rizzotti, etc. all ran the team ultimately as PG's. Some started as combo guards, but by the end of their careers, were the unequivocal floor generals. Kia has never been groomed to be the UCONN floor general.

UCONN has struggled in years where they did not have a true PG starting. Most recently, the Doty/Hayes years. Dixon was supposed to be the starting PG and was recruited the same year as Maya, but she was just never good enough to run the team so Geno relied on a pair of combo guards to share the burden, with Doty playing more but sometimes less due to her knees.

My point is, a converted 2G is not the highest and best use of a player, especially when you have a PG who is as talented as Dangerfield. You don't just start the best 5 players, especially if the 6th player in question is as supremely talented as Crystal.

I hope Crystal starts. I doubt very much she scores anywhere near close to what Stevens scores this season. BUT she has the best court vision and is the best floor general, and it's not really close. And that's NOT to take anything away from Kia - she's one of the best guards in the nation and on any other team would likely be on preseason AA lists. But why ASK her to be the starting PG when you have someone as talented as Crystal?

It's likely that after the first 6-7 minutes of any game, Geno will sub freely. Azura should be the first off the bench and could sub in for any of the players should Geno take them out. And Geno knows the team far better than I do, so maybe when November rolls around, he will decide Azura starts and Crystal comes off the bench. I just think there are more compelling reasons for Crystal to start than Azura...

EricLA, Great post as usual sir!! I've always been of the opinion that Stevens should start, but after reading your comments, I'm beginning to lean in the other direction. Your explanation as to why Crystal should start is hard to argue. I've always maintained that she and AZ bring a completely different dynamic to the floor. I also believe as you said that around the 6-7 minute mark in the first quarter, Geno is going to send the first sub in. After that, it's who ever is getting the job done, and playing well, will stay on the floor. I also believe that Dangerous and AZ will both get about the same amount of playing time per game.

Geno said the following on Monday at the AAC media day: “But you look at the way the dynamic changes when Azura is on the floor ... You look out there, man that’s a big lineup,” Auriemma said. “We have a 6-3 two-guard [Samuelson]. That’s a big lineup. And when Crystal is not on the floor, there’s a lot more responsibility on Kia because she’s not sharing the ball-handling responsibility. That mean’s Lou has to handle the ball a lot more. Everything is affected. Every change you make, you might lose something. So we have to figure it out.”

I'm also comfortable with the theory/idea that it's not who starts, but who plays well, and who finishes. Someone is coming out after about 4-5 minutes, who will it be, and for what reason? Fatigue, foul trouble, getting beat on defense, cold shooting, injury? After the seats get warm, adjustments (if needed) will be made. Consistency is always expected, but we know that some days, players just don't have it. Everyone has an off day. Sometimes you can tell during warm ups, other times, not until the game begins.

This summer, we beat that horse (who should start) till it died, then beat it some more. With the first exhibition game only 19 days away, I'm at the point where I don't care who starts. I have faith in whoever Geno sends out there, because those five are going to be the 5 HE wants to start the game with. I'm going to cheer and root for which ever 5 players are on the floor at any given time. "Just win baby"!!! I commented in another thread that who starts between Crystal and AZ will depend on the persona or character Geno wants his starting unit to have. In Geno I trust. I'll leave it there. Go Huskies - Getting it done. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Listen. I'm not saying Geno should do that. I saying it's a suggestion to a problem. There are 6 starters on this team for 5 spots.

What happens if Z is as great as we all think and she has to start? Also what happens if danger is tearing it up and deserves to start? Not out of the question this can happen.

If Dangerous is tearing it up, and she is the first off the bench after 4-5 minutes of play, she'll stay in the game. Geno is going to make adjustments after the game starts. The first sub usually comes in with around 5-6 minutes left in the first quarter. Either Dangerous or AZ will be the 6th man this season. BOTH will get an extensive amount of playing time. I'm not so concerned about whether or not they start, but rather how they play once they inter the game. Remember, Dangerous did NOT start in the Baylor game, but took it over once she got in midway in the first quarter............Geno realized she was "on" that day, and left her in. Expect Geno to make adjustments according to "weather conditions". i.e, which way the wind is blowing. Or, who is playing well, and who is not. If a sub comes in and lights it up (like dangerous did), does Geno leave her in for awhile?

I don't care who starts!!! I just want whoever does to go on a 12-14 point run to begin the game, take the heart, soul and will out of the other team early on, put their foot on the opponent's throat, and leave it there until the final horn. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To add to Eric’s points ...

Kia Nurse is a 4-year starter and an Olympian. There aren’t many Olympians in WCBB. She starts. She has lost 1 game as a starter. As Eric noted, she has become an elite shooter, in the KML/KLS mold.

I honestly think that the Core 4 are locks as starters, unless there is an injury issue. First-team AAs don’t get “demoted” unless they get in the doghouse. I expect that this group will stay out of Chez Bow Wow. Recall that Stewie got benched for 35 minutes in her junior year. That shows that almost anything is possible.

The 5th starter is either Azura or Crystal. Both are good options. I don’t care who it is, but I think Crystal rounds out the team better. I put the odds at 60% Crystal, 40% Azura.

I know she was only a freshman, but Maya didn’t start until Kalana got injured. Sure, Azura was a HM AA and has 2 years at Duke and 1 year of practice under her belt, but I’d argue that Maya as a freshman was better than Azura is now. Maya was a consensus/unanimous AA for her career and finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st in the AP POY voting. The only players to beat her out were Candace Parker and Tina Charles. They were and still are among the best of the best.

Diana also didn’t start as a frosh until injuries hit the team. As Geno and Sue say, Dee was the best player on the team the minute she arrived on campus.

If Dee (the GOAT) and Maya (could become the GOAT) don’t start, I think it’s plausible that Z doesn’t start.

By and large, I think Geno rotates 6 players into and out of the lineup. Azura will play starters minutes. I think the average minutes per game will vary by only about 2 minutes among the top 6.

One interesting question is: Who is player #7? If we have front court foul trouble, I think it will be Batouly. If we have backcourt foul trouble, it could be Meg or Mikayla. In the absence of foul trouble, I think the pecking order is Meg, then Mikayla, then Batouly, but I think they are very, very close. Kyla could sneak in there too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One additional point ...

Moriah was the DPOY, a 2-time AA, and 2-time Lieberman award winner. But her freshman year, Mo was a bit out of control and wasn’t guarded when she was outside the arc. Sue had to sit for all but 8 games of her freshman year because of surgery. Crystal’s freshman year stacks up well against Sue and Mo, who are all-time greats. Playing PG at UConn is a challenge. Crystal Dangerfield had ups and downs, but no one ever mastered the job as a freshman. I expect a BIG sophomore leap for Crystal.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Dangerfield starts, it will essentially be the same lineup as last year, only even smaller.

Last year's starting lineup was pretty successful. If Dangerfield is as improved as has been hinted--a big if--then the team should automatically be better even before installing Stevens, Camara, and company into the rotation.

Reaction Score
I know she was only a freshman, but Maya didn’t start until Kalana got injured. Sure, Azura was a HM AA and has 2 years at Duke and 1 year of practice under her belt, but I’d argue that Maya as a freshman was better than Azura is now. Maya was a consensus/unanimous AA for her career and finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st in the AP POY voting. The only players to beat her out were Candace Parker and Tina Charles. They were and still are among the best of the best.

Diana also didn’t start as a frosh until injuries hit the team. As Geno and Sue say, Dee was the best player on the team the minute she arrived on campus.

If Dee (the GOAT) and Maya (could become the GOAT) don’t start, I think it’s plausible that Z doesn’t start.

By and large, I think Geno rotates 6 players into and out of the lineup. Azura will play starters minutes. I think the average minutes per game will vary by only about 2 minutes among the top 6.

One interesting question is: Who is player #7? If we have front court foul trouble, I think it will be Batouly. If we have backcourt foul trouble, it could be Meg or Mikayla. In the absence of foul trouble, I think the pecking order is Meg, then Mikayla, then Batouly, but I think they are very, very close. Kyla could sneak in there too.

There is no doubt that Moore is one of the best to ever play the game, but this statement is absurd.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Dangerfield starts, it will essentially be the same lineup as last year, only even smaller.
Slightly smaller, as Crystal Dangerfield is about 3" shorter than Saniya. But everyone will be better, plus we have height among the others.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Moore is one of the best to ever play the game, but this statement is absurd.
I totally disagree. Maya may not have had the court knowledge that she is still acquiring, but her natural ability and work ethic made her a great player from Day 1. If Azura plays better than that, she'll beat out Wilson for the NPOY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford is a pretty good poster.
I rather have Maya any year over most, especially over a player that's never suited up for us.
Thanks. I'm not looking for compliments or flattery, but I agree that Maya was arguably the best college player ever and was great from Day 1. If Z is close to that level, I'm beyond thrilled.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Z at 6'6" will not be coming off the bench. That was UConn's problem last year. She's too good of an athlete and a game changer. You'll see against Stanford.
Starting is not the same as finishing. As the phrase goes, it's not how you start but how you finish and while members note, Z would provide scoring off the bench, scoring WILL NOT be this teams issue, quality playing time will be.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an outside observer who happens to watch a good amount of UConn WBB (and who watched Stevens for two years at Duke), let me say this...

UConn has a lot of incredible talent (ridiculously skilled players) on the roster (Collier, Dangerfield, Walker, Nurse, Samuelson, Camara, Williams, etc.). All amazing players, in their own right.

Azura Stevens, after spending a year in Geno's system, is the best of the bunch. She does things at her size that only a few players can do, a hybrid of Candace Parker and Iciss Tillis. She is a STAR. And with Geno's coaching, her ceiling is limitless.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Listen. I'm not saying Geno should do that. I saying it's a suggestion to a problem. There are 6 starters on this team for 5 spots.

What happens if Z is as great as we all think and she has to start? Also what happens if danger is tearing it up and deserves to start? Not out of the question this can happen.
Yea, it's pretty much out of the question.

I'd be willing to stake your life on it. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As an outside observer who happens to watch a good amount of UConn WBB (and who watched Stevens for two years at Duke), let me say this...

UConn has a lot of incredible talent (ridiculously skilled players) on the roster (Collier, Dangerfield, Walker, Nurse, Samuelson, Camara, Williams, etc.). All amazing players, in their own right.

Azura Stevens, after spending a year in Geno's system, is the best of the bunch. She does things at her size that only a few players can do, a hybrid of Candace Parker and Iciss Tillis. She is a STAR. And with Geno's coaching, her ceiling is limitless.
Thanks, Cam. I want to see if she is, in fact, the best of the bunch--because that is an awesome bunch. No slight toward Z, just noting that the 3 All-Americans improved SO much last year that they have set the bar very high.

The guys on the podcast--Jacobs and Doyle--think Azura will be a starter. We'll see the lineup on November 1 and then against Stanford. Whether she starts or not, she'll be a major impact player with lots of minutes. The various plots and subplots over the next 6 months will be fascinating.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Expect to be thrilled.
Let's not put too much pressure on her, but I sure look forward to seeing Z in a UConn uniform instead of a Duke uniform. I also like her in the #23 jersey. It's a special one. The first number to be on the Wall THREE times, hopefully.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think the only thing that slows Z down at the beginning of the season is if it takes a long time for her to learn the system to Geno's satisfaction. If she has difficulty, then I think Dangerfield has the inside track on starting.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Why? For every person that thinks Azura walks on water, there is another person that thinks Gabby, KLS, and Napheesa also walk on water.

walk_water_huskiesB.jpg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wouldn't Geno tell us that who starts is no big deal? Just wondering.

Reaction Score

Nice to hear. I happen to think pheese will be the next mt Rushmore caliber uconn player. For pheese size and age( year) she can just about do it all. If she continues to progress by senior year can be our third or fourth best player ever.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wouldn't Geno tell us that who starts is no big deal? Just wondering.
Not really. Geno blamed the Stanford loss partially on himself "for not having the right starting lineup". In the next 111 games after Stanford he seems to have gotten it right. Two seasons ago two different freshmen (Napheesa & KLS) and a sophmore Gabby earned opportunities to start. Funny how that worked out,a season later all three players are AA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom