Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dangerfield "inside track" at starting job

Reaction Score
There is more to the decision on who starts than simply identifying the 5 best players. First, which 5 players work best together. In most cases it's the 5 best players but what exactly defines best? Leaving that aside there is also another question which is that at some point subs need to be rotated in and what sort of team will be on the court then? That depends on who you have available to sub into the game. That brings us to the question of who will Geno trust and to me the fulcrum issue to the question of whether it's Dangerfield or Stevens who starts. We know that both Dangerfield or Stevens are trusted. But how about Camara and Irwin? If Geno can trust either to play significant minutes then he can start Stevens because in the event one of Collier or Stevens gets in foul trouble he has players to sub in. But if they aren't trusted then having Stevens on the bench to sub in for either Collier, Williams or even Samuelson might be a good idea. By the same token, if both Nurse and Dangerfield start and one gets in foul trouble who comes off the bench? Will Bent or any of the freshmen be ready to come in and be effective? If not then Stevens will come in and Williams will move to the 2 position. Is she ready for that?

Last year UConn didn't have these questions because after player No 6 or 7 the cupboard was bare. Luckily UConn hopefully now has a wealth of possibilities to choose from compared to a team like Tennessee where 3 of the 4 freshmen absolutely have to be ready to contribute.

Who starts is just part of a bigger puzzle. It's not checkers, it's chess.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not really. Geno blamed the Stanford loss partially on himself "for not having the right starting lineup". In the next 111 games after Stanford he seems to have gotten it right. Two seasons ago two different freshmen (Napheesa & KLS) and a sophmore Gabby earned opportunities to start. Funny how that worked out,a season later all three players are AA.

Thanks, Coco. This makes sense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not really. Geno blamed the Stanford loss partially on himself "for not having the right starting lineup". In the next 111 games after Stanford he seems to have gotten it right. Two seasons ago two different freshmen (Napheesa & KLS) and a sophmore Gabby earned opportunities to start. Funny how that worked out,a season later all three players are AA.
They rotated the starting position. Very roughly, I think Gabby had the first 8-10 games, then Napheesa for about the same number, then Lou for about the second half of the season. It must have been a good training ground, because, as you note, all of them were All-Americans the following season. Amazing!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Think most assumed that, but that podcast was a day prior to Adamec's article
The truth is that we don't know. If Azura is not the starter against Stanford, we'll probably have a bunch of threads about why she should be the starter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The truth is that we don't know. If Azura is not the starter against Stanford, we'll probably have a bunch of threads about why she should be the starter.

Right, I don't think anything's been decided. The source made it sound like it might be Dangerfield's spot to lose. Still a month left to solidify it if true.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno basically had 6 players he could play with any confidence against MS St. He had no depth and couldn’t afford foul trouble. That limited his options.

That limited roster is why they almost lost to Maryland, remember? Most of the starters were in foul trouble, and could not Play any meaningful defense, and Maryland knew it. Chong hit a desperately needed 3 like she did the year before to temporarily stop the bleeding. The Terps just ran out of time that night. Three more minutes, they win that game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Right, I don't think anything's been decided. The source made it sound like it might be Dangerfield's spot to lose. Still a month left to solidify it if true.

We should start getting some reports from practice next week. They can't keep us in the dark for too long. Somebody is going to separate themselves from the pack, we want to know who it is. Inquiring minds want to know.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Dangerfield starts, it will essentially be the same lineup as last year, only even smaller.

True, but as others have noted, that team pretty much held their own, and didn't do that bad. This team will have height and a deep bench to back them up. I think it's fair to say that if last year's team had this year's bench, they would not have lost to MS or USC to end the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
It would be good to see Walker emerge as a star. To me, I would be happy to see any of the freshmen emerge as a star by tournament time. That would be surprising but very beneficial to the team.
Out of the other 3 freshmen it would be nice to see Coombs emerge rather quickly. She was ranked 4th in her class before she blew out her knee. In high school she seemed to put up Gabby stats across the board and yes it was only HS. Not seeing the freshmen regularly it seems the one with the confidence in everything she does is Gordon. I think she will be a part of the equation by the end of the year. Hunter I am not sure about because the league she played in last year, imo, not very strong. It would be nice for the frosh to come out and play like the Tassk force in their first year. This is going to be an interesting and fun year!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It's not that crazy.

For the people that think Z walks on water then she must start at the 5 right?

I'm pretty confident that pheese is one of the best players in the college game thus she must start at 4.

Lou is locked in at 3 and Kia at 2 right?

You put danger at point and it's not that crazy.

FYI - did you not watch last year. The offense ran through Gabby at the high post. She led the team in assists. She is starting unless injured. In fact, all four - Kia, Lou, Pheesa and Gabby will start.

The final spot is between Z and Crystal Dangerfield. Practices will determine who starts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We should start getting some reports from practice next week. They can't keep us in the dark for too long. Somebody is going to separate themselves from the pack, we want to know who it is. Inquiring minds want to know.
So, what you’re saying is that we want to get the scoop. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That limited roster is why they almost lost to Maryland, remember? Most of the starters were in foul trouble, and could not Play any meaningful defense, and Maryland knew it. Chong hit a desperately needed 3 like she did the year before to temporarily stop the bleeding. The Terps just ran out of time that night. Three more minutes, they win that game.
You have managed to cover an urban legend (UCONN almost lost to Maryland)-and a pet peeve (Chong basket desperately needed) in only two sentence.
The Maryland game started out 7 to 0 for UCONN and the lead grew to 19 (twice) early in the 3 quarter. At the end of the third quarter UCONN was up 15. Slocum to her credit hit 3 from the parking lot in the last 5 minutes of the game to stem a UCONN rout.
Saniya's basket within the last minute of the game stretched the lead from 6 to 9 points. So why is this a pet peeve? Because the lead had shrunk to as much as 5 points and UCONN had 3 other players who made multiple clutch baskets with UCONN holding a smaller lead than when Saniya hit her basket. Napheesa hit three baskets and KLS and Gabby hit two apiece.
The MD game should be remembered as the Game KLS grew up big time. KLS was ailing but spectacular and versatile. She hit the three ball, but that was always in her arsenal. She drove and finished contested shots at the basket with either hand. She hit the pull up heavily contested jumper. She rebounded, passed the ball like a daemon, guarded Slocum on the perimeter, drew a charge, and drew two fouls on MD (Jones & Slocum) in the last 5 mins.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You have managed to cover an urban legend (UCONN almost lost to Maryland)-and a pet peeve (Chong basket desperately needed) in only two sentence.
The Maryland game started out 7 to 0 for UCONN and the lead grew to 19 (twice) early in the 3 quarter. At the end of the third quarter UCONN was up 15. Slocum to her credit hit 3 from the parking lot in the last 5 minutes of the game to stem a UCONN rout.
Saniya's basket within the last minute of the game stretched the lead from 6 to 9 points. So why is this a pet peeve? Because the lead had shrunk to as much as 5 points and UCONN had 3 other players who made multiple clutch baskets with UCONN holding a smaller lead than when Saniya hit her basket. Napheesa hit three baskets and KLS and Gabby hit two apiece.
The MD game should be remembered as the Game KLS grew up big time. KLS was ailing but spectacular and versatile. She hit the three ball, but that was always in her arsenal. She drove and finished contested shots at the basket with either hand. She hit the pull up heavily contested jumper. She rebounded, passed the ball like a daemon, guarded Slocum on the perimeter, drew a charge, and drew two fouls on MD (Jones & Slocum) in the last 5 mins.
Saniya Chong = Turtle Slayer!

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score

I'd actually prefer a "pack" of 13 players, all interchangeable parts of a great whole. A conundrum of sorts for the coaches but hopefully an amazing and wonderful thing to watch.

Four great quarters of UConn basketball at its' best with everyone contributing their share.

Reaction Score
FYI - did you not watch last year. The offense ran through Gabby at the high post. She led the team in assists. She is starting unless injured. In fact, all four - Kia, Lou, Pheesa and Gabby will start.

The final spot is between Z and Crystal Dangerfield. Practices will determine who starts.

Did u not read my posts? I would not sit Gabby it was just an alternative option to accommodate a true point guard and our new star true center. That's all.

My official opinion is to start danger IF it's determined by the coaching staff that she is primed to take that next step and drive the team a la Jefferson did. That is my stance since the end of the year.

As for watching games. I honestly probably watched 95% of them and personally attended 5 games. For of those games I was within the first 6 rows.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did u not read my posts? I would not sit Gabby it was just an alternative option to accommodate a true point guard and our new star true center. That's all.
My official opinion is to start danger IF it's determined by the coaching staff that she is primed to take that next step and drive the team a la Jefferson did. That is my stance since the end of the year.
As for watching games. I honestly probably watched 95% of them and personally attended 5 games. For of those games I was within the first 6 rows.
Have you read the responses to your own post? Most people are not having an issue with your opinion to start Crystal. It is entirely possible that Crystal earns a starting spot. Your solution: To bench Gabby, well that just as "bizarre" as the suggestion to bench Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Have you read the responses to your own post? Most people are not having an issue with your opinion to start Crystal. It is entirely possible that Crystal earns a starting spot. Your solution: To bench Gabby, well that just as "bizarre" as the suggestion to bench Napheesa.

It was an alternative solution and yes way out of the box and of course not what I'd do.
I was just thinking if both danger and Z were so good this year they had to play in the meaningful minutes. Who sits then?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
It was an alternative solution and yes way out of the box and of course not what I'd do.
I was just thinking if both danger and Z were so good this year they had to play in the meaningful minutes. Who sits then?

i guess it would either Lou, Pheese, Gabby, or Kia, or TWO of the former. None of those options are realistic. So, why in your alternative did you focus on Gabby?

Reaction Score
i guess it would either Lou, Pheese, Gabby, or Kia, or TWO of the former. None of those options are realistic. So, why in your alternative did you focus on Gabby?

I think Lou at the three gives us one of the best three point shooters in the country, terrific shooting that is desperately needed. I think pheese is flat out the best pound for pound player in the country. If two players absolutely need to start it's KIA and PHEESE then Lou for me. Thus I was focusing on gabby.

I think gabby is awesome and probably our heart and soul? I'm not saying to 6th man her it was just something I threw out there if Danger and Z just had to start / play meaningful minutes. That's all

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not Gabby!

Reaction Score
Like I said 100 times, starting crystal gives the lineup the best balance.
Danger
Kia
Lou
Need to be the first 3.

Round it out with gabby, pheese or Z Pick two from that group.
the best line up starts Z not Crystal. Z in the middle with her length let's Collier move to a more natural 4, gabby to the 3 and Lou to the 2 guard, and the starting point guard for the Canadian national team and a senior Kia at the point. that length will make Uconns defence amazing. they can run a full court press with Z in the front or back end the way Stewie did. Each player last year had to guard taller players now they won't have to. Remember as much as Crystal has grown as a player Z maybe the BEST player on the team. 6ft 6in players who shoot 3's and is very disruptive on defense are very rare. People have said she is a poor woman's Stewie and if you saw what she did at Duke I agree. I think Crystal and Megan coming in with their speed and athleticism when the opposing team's starters are getting a little tired would be the best scenario. I think Geno has the most depth since the 2000-01 team giving him incredible options.

Reaction Score
the best line up starts Z not Crystal. Z in the middle with her length let's Collier move to a more natural 4, gabby to the 3 and Lou to the 2 guard, and the starting point guard for the Canadian national team and a senior Kia at the point. that length will make Uconns defence amazing. they can run a full court press with Z in the front or back end the way Stewie did. Each player last year had to guard taller players now they won't have to. Remember as much as Crystal has grown as a player Z maybe the BEST player on the team. 6ft 6in players who shoot 3's and is very disruptive on defense are very rare. People have said she is a poor woman's Stewie and if you saw what she did at Duke I agree. I think Crystal and Megan coming in with their speed and athleticism when the opposing team's starters are getting a little tired would be the best scenario. I think Geno has the most depth since the 2000-01 team giving him incredible options.

Well clearly I disagree and that's ok your opinion is just as valid as mine, which doesn't count much right?

I hate Lou at two guard, she flat out is a three. She's not plus ball handler, she's a three point/ offensive weapon.

Honestly time will tell but none of us know how good Z will be. If Z is great then she should start, we certainly need a true center. I have ZERO problem for danger to play point if she has made the big mo jeff leap and Z at center. Sounds good to me!! Who sits then??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well clearly I disagree and that's ok your opinion is just as valid as mine, which doesn't count much right?

I hate Lou at two guard, she flat out is a three. She's not plus ball handler, she's a three point/ offensive weapon.

Honestly time will tell but none of us know how good Z will be. If Z is great then she should start, we certainly need a true center. I have ZERO problem for danger to play point if she has made the big mo jeff leap and Z at center. Sounds good to me!! Who sits then??
Sorry JG, but I have to agree with asuwish on the breakdown of who plays where for the Huskies this season.

Classifying Lou as simply a “three point/offensive weapon” does her a great disservice.

Lou has a remarkably fluid handle for someone who’s 6’3”. When UCLA tried to press UConn late in their Sweet 16 game, Lou pretty easily broke the press by herself.

Lou is also an outstanding passer, who was one of several Huskies with over 100 assists last year.

Finally, Lou expanded her offensive game last year by putting the ball on the floor to take the ball to the basket or for pull up jump shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom