Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Potentially.

If a soph wins the award over Chiney, a Sr. .... :mad: You do know that Chiney averages 22 ppg and will obliterate the P12 rebounding record? Steph will not limit Chiney again, even though Chiney had 18pts.
I don't disagree that it probably won't happen, but you never know. My point is that Stewie is just that talented. I would bet on Chiney, tho, if I were a betting man. I hope Stanford has a good year and demolishes Tennessee in the process...

Reaction Score
I don't disagree that it probably won't happen, but you never know. My point is that Stewie is just that talented. I would bet on Chiney, tho, if I were a betting man. I hope Stanford has a good year and demolishes Tennessee in the process...

thanks. me too ;)

Reaction Score
With two players having outstanding seasons, often the deciding factor in the player of the year is winning the national championship. In 2009. for example, Maya Moore won over Angel McCoughtry. If Louisville had won the championship, McCoughtry might have won.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Potentially.

If a soph wins the award over Chiney, a Sr. .... :mad: You do know that Chiney averages 22 ppg and will obliterate the P12 rebounding record? Steph will not limit Chiney again, even though Chiney had 18pts.
It isn't a career award. Sophomores have won over seniors before. If Breanna plays consistently like she did throughout the tournament it will not be close. If so, Chiney like some other great players will simply have had the misfortune of playing during the careers of other greats. Chiney's best hope is that the UCONN's players split up the votes among them. I mean Breanna, KML, Stef, Bria, wow.

Reaction Score
With two players having outstanding seasons, often the deciding factor in the player of the year is winning the national championship. In 2009. for example, Maya Moore won over Angel McCoughtry. If Louisville had won the championship, McCoughtry might have won.

The vote is taken well before the title game.

Reaction Score
It isn't a career award. Sophomores have won over seniors before. If Breanna plays consistently like she did throughout the tournament it will not be close. If so, Chiney like some other great players will simply have had the misfortune of playing during the careers of other greats. Chiney's best hope is that the UCONN's players split up the votes among them. I mean Breanna, KML, Stef, Bria, wow.

I understand that. but the media has a lot to with it, too. Chiney deserves it, as did Nneka.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If Chiney is not national POY next year, I will quit watching bball.
Cardfan Breanna will change the way bigs play in WCBB. She is a phenom and Chiney is a great player. Breanna can do things that Chiney and everybody else dosnt do. We saw it coming early this past season, then she went into the thinking to much slump, then when the pressure was on in the NCAAs she almost carried UConn. Remember she is a freshman. Chiney is a great player around the basket. Breanna at 6'4 plays like a guard and can drive to the basket with either hand, either going left or right with neither being her favorite. I really don't think it will be debatable. Breanna will be the best player in WCBB for the next 3 seasons and it wont be close. I expect so long as she and UConn are healthy another multi year win streak has begun.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's because I really believe they will be good or if I really just want Karen Aston to have success on the field but I feel that Texas will be much improved this coming year and could definitely crack the top 15 with the talent they have there.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It's interesting the talk that Chiney should have been POY when in 2 of their biggest games other than Georgia, ie Uconn and UCLA pac12 final Chiney went AWOL. In fact both games I would argue that she actually hurt her team by forcing shots and being selfish. In watching a lot of pac 12 games last year it was clear from lots of fans including some of my friends who were Stanford fans that TVD was leaving Chiney in major minutes in blow out games, padding stats. Chiney clearly has problems playing against posts like Dolson and Brewer ie legit sized posts. The problem with her game is that she has not developed counter moves. Unlike Nneka who really had little problem against those types of players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I understand that. but the media has a lot to with it, too. Chiney deserves it, as did Nneka.
No, she may have deserved it in the past. She will have to earn it over the other competitors just like KML and Breanna. There are no debts from the past that get you the award, just missing out because you were overlooked.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
How about KML, she has just as much right to be in this conversation, her contribution has been amazing, along with her consistency.

Reaction Score
Cardfan Breanna will change the way bigs play in WCBB. She is a phenom and Chiney is a great player. Breanna can do things that Chiney and everybody else dosnt do. We saw it coming early this past season, then she went into the thinking to much slump, then when the pressure was on in the NCAAs she almost carried UConn. Remember she is a freshman. Chiney is a great player around the basket. Breanna at 6'4 plays like a guard and can drive to the basket with either hand, either going left or right with neither being her favorite. I really don't think it will be debatable. Breanna will be the best player in WCBB for the next 3 seasons and it wont be close. I expect so long as she and UConn are healthy another multi year win streak has begun.

it is debatable because they play different positions. Stewie can't board or leap like Chiney.

Reaction Score
It's interesting the talk that Chiney should have been POY when in 2 of their biggest games other than Georgia, ie Uconn and UCLA pac12 final Chiney went AWOL. In fact both games I would argue that she actually hurt her team by forcing shots and being selfish. In watching a lot of pac 12 games last year it was clear from lots of fans including some of my friends who were Stanford fans that TVD was leaving Chiney in major minutes in blow out games, padding stats. Chiney clearly has problems playing against posts like Dolson and Brewer ie legit sized posts. The problem with her game is that she has not developed counter moves. Unlike Nneka who really had little problem against those types of players.

Tara doesn't leave players in to pad stats, we needed Chiney, big time, especially to board since we were so thin at the post. And she outplayed Griner by scoring 18 and took her off the dribble and perimeter shots at the elbow - displaying many counter moves (and many more than she had her soph yr). She had 18pt vs. UConn. She had 21 pts and 19 boards at TN. She also had 26 pts in victory at Cal. Nneka was more a true center, Chiney is a true 4.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you underestimate how well Stewie can jump. Most often she doesn't need to do so with her 7'1" reach. Her put back at the rim in the NC game just scratched the surface.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Chiney will probably get a lot more minutes that Stewie, and UConn has three other solid candidates for POY to siphon off her votes. Chiney will win. But she will not get a ring. Probably if Stewie played for Stanford and Chiney for UConn, Stewie would get POY and Chiney would get a ring. Can't have everything.
'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin