Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree about ND. But Baylor? I'd be shocked (shocked I say) if they made it to the FF. (but then I was shocked by Louisville this year, so who knows. But I'd still be shocked)

A lot of people thought Duke would be struggling after losing Black/Currie/Williams/Foley in 2006 but they came back a better team in 2007. Same with Notre Dame this year after they lost Peters/Novosel/Mallory. Not saying Sims will turn Baylor into a Final Four favorite, but don't underestimate the crew Baylor has coming back, especially when they are led by the best point guard in the nation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A lot of people thought Duke would be struggling after losing Black/Currie/Williams/Foley in 2006 but they came back a better team in 2007. Same with Notre Dame this year after they lost Peters/Novosel/Mallory. Not saying Sims will turn Baylor into a Final Four favorite, but don't underestimate the crew Baylor has coming back, especially when they are led by the best point guard in the nation.

Black didn't graduate with the other three. Bales, Harding, Black and Emily Waner were all upper class men that year. How is that similar to Baylor?

What will Baylor's starting lineup be?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Black didn't graduate with the other three. Bales, Harding, Black and Emily Waner were all upper class men that year. How is that similar to Baylor?

Black got injured and redshirted in 2006-7.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Interesting to me...after the tournament Georgia had, Charlie leaves them out,
and no one here comments.

Reaction Score
Preseason picks are always interesting. I was one of the few people here that thought Notre Dame was going to be really good going into last season. I didn't predict 3 wins against UConn, but I thought Notre Dame would easily be the 2nd best team in the Big East with a very good shot at being a Final Four team. My rationale for that is the same with predicting the fortunes of any team. Teams are going to be as good as the combination of their top end talent and coaching. Notre Dame's returning top end talent in Diggins, McBride, and Achonwa was easily top 5 in the country and they had a top 5 coach.

Looking ahead to next year it is pretty wide open. UConn is at least a lock to be the best team in the country and get to the Final Four. After that you have some teams deep with talent that should be near locks to get to the Final four, but could stall out yet again at the Elite 8 partly due to coaching. And then there are teams not quite as deep in talent or not having truly elite top level talent that have the coaching to pull an upset of a more talented overall team and get to the Final Four.

Predictions for how they will be seeded going into the NCAA tournament
1 Seeds
UConn
Duke - their overall talent as well as their elite talent should be overwhelming to every team, but UConn. Wrong matchup and they still could stall out in the Elite 8 though
Tennessee - will probably win the SEC regular season. I'm not convinced that Matthew Mitchell is a good enough coach to make up for the talent gap. Will get to the Elite 8 again, but likely lose under the pressure of getting back to a Final Four in Tennessee unless they get a favorable matchup in the Elite 8.
Stanford - will probably return to running the table in the West with the combination of an elite player Chiney and the overall depth of talent on the roster, while other final #1 seed contenders beat each other up some. If they are the #1 seed in the West and get the easiest #2 seed again on geography they could be headed back to the Final Four.

2 Seeds
Kentucky - if they find away to take a step in halfcourt execution they could win the SEC, either way they will get to the Elite 8 and then have close to a 50/50 chance against anyone except UConn. Wouldn't be surprised if they were better without Mathis.
Louisville - They have the coaching, they gained confidence, and players figured out their roles. They lack truly elite talent, but have a decent depth of talent. Wouldn't be that much of a surprise to see Shoni put together a much better senior year. Likely playing UConn 3 times in conference will most likely result in a #2 seed at best, but they'll be prepared for the tournament with a 50/50 shot at getting to the Final Four against anyone except UConn.
Maryland - They broke with recent Maryland tradition by playing physically and mentally tough last season. Thomas is an elite player and they have plenty of other talented players back. That will get them a #2 seed. Not convinced they have the half court execution, shooters, and ability to pressure the ball to advance all the way to the Final Four. Potentially could be upset in the Sweet 16.
Baylor - I'm not one of the people who thought Sims was better than Diggins. Sims and the other talent will have enough talent to win the Big 12 and the conference's inflated RPI will get Baylor a two seed. I think their 50/50 to get out of the Sweet 16 with their ceiling being the Elite 8. Mulkey is a good coach, but I don't see the half court execution that is needed to get past anyone they would face in the Elite 8.

3 Seeds
Notre Dame - Still have a nice collection of top end talent, but they are going to miss having the ball in the hands of Diggins late in games. I expect they'll fall to a 3 seed with a couple of extra losses in close games to the traditional ACC powers. Probably 50/50 to get to the elite 8. Will need a good matchup to get back to the Final Four
Big 10 Champion - No idea who it is going to be out of Nebraska, Michigan State, and Penn State. Not sure I buy the high ranking of Nebraska by Creme. I would guess that Penn State wins the Big 10 regular season, despite their losses to graduation. Almost no chance of the Bid 10 champion getting past the Sweet 16. The conference is still what it has been, full of parity with some attractive basketball to watch although lacking Elite 8 caliber teams let alone national championship contenders.
North Carolina - they'll win enough games on talent to get a #3 seed, but likely won't get past the Sweet 16. Coaching and overall execution won't be good enough to get to the Elite 8.
Cailfornia - Not convinced they'll truly challenge Stanford again so they'll likely end up a #3 seed instead of a #2 seed. Would need the right match up to get past the Sweet 16.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is way too low at #10. I wouldnt have them any lower than #6.... if that low.

Are the used ones under $100K? I think that's about $130K new.

That is a MONSTER of a car.. I have a good female friend who is deadset on getting the CL 63 AMG.... I looked at the prices for a USED one..... and its still like :eek: Asked her if she was willing to "settle" on a regular ol CL 550 :rolleyes: Not sure if she still values my car advice though.... I tried to steer her towards a Honda Accord coupe...... she didnt really like my opinion on that :oops: Perhaps Im being a bit chauvinistic, but I told her that a woman doesnt really need a car with over 360 HP.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All I know is that it'll be awhile before she's a CL65, if ever..........

Mercedes%2BCL65%2BAMG.jpg
Mike is driving a much nicer car than Milford is. :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are the used ones under $100K? I think that's about $130K new.

I think the cheapest used one I saw was a 2011 for maybe 99K.... most were in the 110-120K range. Base for a 2013 is I think in the 150K range... for the one Mike posted... over 200K base :eek:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the cheapest used one I saw was a 2011 for maybe 99K.... most were in the 110-120K range. Base for a 2013 is I think in the 150K range... for the one Mike posted... over 200K base :eek:
Are you a Duke grad? Just buy it for her, dammit. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A guess:
Sims 5-8
Prince 6-2
Johnson 5-7
Robertson 5-8
Agbuke/Higgins 6-4

Yea, doesn't look FF to me.

Reaction Score
Gotta give you credit, Cardfan. A 26 point loss and scoring only 35 points against Uconn and you can't wait to play them again. Quite the glutton for punishment, aren't we?

Sad to say Uconn knows very well the impact of multiple ACL Injuries to a player. I hope that Beebe staysa healthy, but to believe that she can have a big impact for Stanford this year seems to be wishful thinking to me.

You can have all the front line help you want but you need a good backcourt to beat Uconn. What you have are good but not great players.

It won't be pretty in Connecticut for Stanford.

Gee Daddy, we'll just stay in Palo Alto and save the air fare. I think the game at Maples was anomaly, even for you guys who didn't shoot the ball that well (61 pts at 37%). KML was the only one who had more than 10pts with 19. I was just above courtside and remember it well. It was still early in the season and we were figuring out how to play without Nneka (and Beebe). It was Chiney and a bunch or role players - and Toni was sick.

I know who you lost to ACLs. We've been hit hard over the years as well, especially in backcourt. Beebe will have 1.5 yr recovery, so plenty of time to be ready. Remember what Jasime Camp did her frosh yr at UConn? She will be back stronger, as well as Greene. I will be you bet you the game will be pretty and close (less than 10 pts). I also bet you more than Chiney will outplay any of your post players since she will have help.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Hey Cardfan. Just curious. Are you the "C" of C and R?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gee Daddy, we'll just stay in Palo Alto and save the air fare. I think the game at Maples was anomaly, even for you guys who didn't shoot the ball that well (61 pts at 37%). KML was the only one who had more than 10pts with 19. I was just above courtside and remember it well. It was still early in the season and we were figuring out how to play without Nneka (and Beebe). It was Chiney and a bunch or role players - and Toni was sick.

I know who you lost to ACLs. We've been hit hard over the years as well, especially in backcourt. Beebe will have 1.5 yr recovery, so plenty of time to be ready. Remember what Jasime Camp did her frosh yr at UConn? She will be back stronger, as well as Greene. I will be you bet you the game will be pretty and close (less than 10 pts). I also bet you more than Chiney will outplay any of your post players since she will have help.
You're coming to the game? We all meet outside section 118. Stop by and say hello. Oh...you meant the team...lol.

I don't expect a 26 point blowout. But under 10 points? What would you like to bet? I'm game.

It was early in the season for Uconn also trying to adjust to a big missing piece in Hayes. And how can you say you had to figure out how to play without Bebee when she never played for the team.

How long are you going to live off of Camp's one good game? Talk about an anomaly.

Let's make two bets. I say Uconn will win by more than 9 points and Camp will score less than 10 points.

How much?

Reaction Score
You're coming to the game? We all meet outside section 118. Stop by and say hello. Oh...you meant the team...lol.

I don't expect a 26 point blowout. But under 10 points? What would you like to bet? I'm game.

It was early in the season for Uconn also trying to adjust to a big missing piece in Hayes. And how can you say you had to figure out how to play without Bebee when she never played for the team.

How long are you going to live off of Camp's one good game? Talk about an anomaly.

Let's make two bets. I say Uconn will win by more than 9 points and Camp will score less than 10 points.

How much?

I will try to go the game. I will bet you that UConn won't by more than 9pts, but I can't bet about Camp since it's unknown how many minutes she will play (if Toni is in or out).

We had no posts to help Chiney, so even if Beebe would have been healthy, it would be something - and much harder for Dolson and others to focus solely on Chiney.

$100 - but the winner to donate it to Sandy Hook Foundation

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I will try to go the game. I will bet you that UConn won't by more than 9pts, but I can't bet about Camp since it's unknown how many minutes she will play (if Toni is in or out).

We had no posts to help Chiney, so even if Beebe would have been healthy, it would be something - and much harder for Dolson and others to focus solely on Chiney.

$100 - but the winner to donate it to Sandy Hook Foundation
Deal. But how can you use Camp as a reason for Stanford dong enter if you don't know how many minutes she will play?

Reaction Score
Deal. But how can you use Camp as a reason for Stanford dong enter if you don't know how many minutes she will play?

She's added bonus if Toni cannot play, which we didn't have this year. I'm just covering my bases, we'll have more depth, at the guard and forward positions.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think opposing fans should understand something. Breanna Stewart will be the POY for the next 3 seasons and it wont be close. Shes a phenon and will get better. Put KML along side her and Stef in the middle who will be the best post play in America and UConn will embarrass opponets next season. Most games wont be close. UConn will have a 20+ point advantage before the tip it off. UConn is the best defensive team, best passing team and tack on their athletic height, great outside shooters making defenses come out to guard them and their depth. Hey not bragging just stating the facts. This is one of the greatest teams ever in WCBB and Breanna will be one of the greatest players ever in WCBB. Some said gee if only EDD had stayed at UConn. Well UConn has Breanna and WCBB has never seen anything like her.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That's crazy. Stanford will be improved with a very good incoming class and getting many injured players back (Beebe, Camp, Greene, and still hope for Toni). Stanford will be better than many in top 10- 12. Can't wait to play TN and UConn to show ya. :)

Reaction Score
I think opposing fans should understand something. Breanna Stewart will be the POY for the next 3 seasons and it wont be close. Shes a phenon and will get better. Put KML along side her and Stef in the middle who will be the best post play in America and UConn will embarrass opponets next season. Most games wont be close. UConn will have a 20+ point advantage before the tip it off. UConn is the best defensive team, best passing team and tack on their athletic height, great outside shooters making defenses come out to guard them and their depth. Hey not bragging just stating the facts. This is one of the greatest teams ever in WCBB and Breanna will be one of the greatest players ever in WCBB. Some said gee if only EDD had stayed at UConn. Well UConn has Breanna and WCBB has never seen anything like her.

If Chiney is not national POY next year, I will quit watching bball.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If Chiney is not national POY next year, I will quit watching bball.
Well, cf, since Stewie and Stef and Bria and KML will prolly split the UConn vote, you may be right.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interesting to me...after the tournament Georgia had, Charlie leaves them out,
and no one here comments.

In my case, that's because I watched them play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors