Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014 | The Boneyard

Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He considers UConn to be "big favorites" to win No. 9. I don't agree with his top 10. I'd put Louisville ahead of Kentucky and North Carolina. Louisville returns everyone but Monique Reid and brings back 3 players from injury. Diggins will be a big loss for ND but the core of McBride, Loyd and Achonwa will be better than most team's top 3. I know Tennessee brings in Russell and Carter returns but the Lady Vols were unimpressive in their loss to Louisville and their best players in that game graduate.
  1. UConn
  2. Duke
  3. Tennessee
  4. Stanford
  5. Maryland
  6. Kentucky
  7. North Carolina
  8. Louisville
  9. Nebraska
  10. Notre Dame
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...n-college-basketball-preseason-top-25-2013-14

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
How funny, I was just reading this, and couldn't believe it hadn't been posted, was just about to but you beat me to it.

First thoughts.

UNC will be there or higher a year later, but I wonder if the frosh will be that much of an imapct this fast.

Is KY that good without A'dia?

I think Dayton might be a few places higher

NE top ten? Let's see, but that sounds a stretch.

I'd put Louisville a little higher. Reid is a loss, but they get a lot back.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Biggest surprise to me was WV getting on at #25 after their disastrous season. Their travel schedule had to be a beast (as we are likely to discover ourselves next year) - one of the issues that is irrelevant in the chasing of the almighty football dollar. I wonder if they have the money in the program to fly charter - if not it must take a very long time to get anywhere. That is the one advantage Uconn WCBB have - flying charter has to shave about 2 hours off any flight in terms of baggage, security, and boarding.

Reactions: HGN

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The new Big East only has St John's mentioned as a possible Top 25 team. How strong will the new Big East be and how many will end up in the tournament. Based on this one person's poll, could be only one team.

Reaction Score
Biggest surprise to me was WV getting on at #25 after their disastrous season. Their travel schedule had to be a beast (as we are likely to discover ourselves next year) - one of the issues that is irrelevant in the chasing of the almighty football dollar. I wonder if they have the money in the program to fly charter - if not it must take a very long time to get anywhere. That is the one advantage Uconn WCBB have - flying charter has to shave about 2 hours off any flight in terms of baggage, security, and boarding.
Are we in fact still flying charter? I thought that Warde Manuel had switched the team travel to handcars in an economy move.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor is right about where I thought they would start. I would say that an Elite Eight appearance is a possibility but getting to the FF will be a little too much to ask.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I don't normally agree with Creame but I think this list is good.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't think there's much separating #2 through #12. And I think there's a lot separating #1 through #2. Everyone else has big question marks that will be answered only as the season plays itself out. Btw, Charlie, there are a couple of kids who play for Uconn, and one who plays for Baylor, who I'd put ahead of Alyssa Thomas in terms of vying for NPOY honors alongside Chiney.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't think there's much separating #2 through #12. And I think there's a lot separating #1 through #2. Everyone else has big question marks that will be answered only as the season plays itself out. Btw, Charlie, there are a couple of kids who play for Uconn, and one who plays for Baylor, who I'd put ahead of Alyssa Thomas in terms of vying for NPOY honors alongside Chiney.

I agree, Alex. I think that Sims definitely has the ability to get her team into the top 8. She is not on the EDD level but she will have a much better supporting cast than EDD did at UD.

Reaction Score

That's crazy. Stanford will be improved with a very good incoming class and getting many injured players back (Beebe, Camp, Greene, and still hope for Toni). Stanford will be better than many in top 10- 12. Can't wait to play TN and UConn to show ya. :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
That's crazy. Stanford will be improved with a very good incoming class and getting many injured players back (Beebe, Camp, Greene, and still hope for Toni). Stanford will be better than many in top 10- 12. Can't wait to play TN and UConn to show ya. :)

Be careful what you wish for

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ETT - don't sell Baylor short. A great point guard is the most important ingredient in a post season run, and Baylor probably has the best for next year. I think Kim's biggest problem is the reorganization at both ends of the floor - defensive and offensive strategy is going to be completely different, and I think it could be freeing for the whole team.
As for the new Big East DePaul, Villanova, and St. Johns all made it this past year, as well as I of the new teams (as an at large) and I can't remember if ND is playing one year in BE before the move to ACC?

Reaction Score

I would place Stanford 3rd. Chiney is better than anyone on Tennessee that's for sure. Stanford did beat Tennessee last year.

I really can't take this list seriously. Diggins is a loss. But I think McBride, Loyd, Achowa, and Muffett have proven they are more formidable than Nebraska and a unproven bunch of freshman coached by Sylvia Hatchell. And they get a top 5 recruit in Reimer.

1. UConn 2. Duke. 3. Stanford 4. Tennessee 5. Maryland 6. Notre Dame 7. Louisville 8. Kentucky 9. Baylor 10. Texas A &M Next- UNC, Nebraska, Cal, Dayton, Oklahoma

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ETT - don't sell Baylor short. A great point guard is the most important ingredient in a post season run, and Baylor probably has the best for next year. I think Kim's biggest problem is the reorganization at both ends of the floor - defensive and offensive strategy is going to be completely different, and I think it could be freeing for the whole team.
As for the new Big East DePaul, Villanova, and St. Johns all made it this past year, as well as I of the new teams (as an at large) and I can't remember if ND is playing one year in BE before the move to ACC?
I believe they are playing 1 year in the BE. Louisville and Rutgers 1 more in the AAC. Maryland 1 more in the ACC. Then everyone switches.

Nope I was wrong, it looks like ND goes straight into the ACC. I know I read somewhere they were going with the C7 for a year, but I guess not.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As good as any way early guess.

UConn does look to have set themselves apart. Not happy for the rest of us.

Regarding Baylor - guards rule in postseason, but the trick will be getting in position to make a great run.

One thing I noticed last year and it is already starting - judging a team by their last game of the previous season. OY.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CardFan - I think the question for Stanford is are the new players actually better than the what was on the floor last year - the team is deeper and of course the players should continue their development, but ...
I am not saying they aren't, I really do not know. All I do know is C.O. will be great.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I believe they are playing 1 year in the BE. Louisville and Rutgers 1 more in the AAC. Maryland 1 more in the ACC. Then everyone switches.
Nah, Notre Dame is in the ACC. RU and Louisville will be in the America something with you, and Maryland will be in the ACC until the next year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nah, Notre Dame is in the ACC. RU and Louisville will be in the America something with you, and Maryland will be in the ACC until the next year.
Yep, corrected myself on ND. ( the rest were right :cool:)

Reaction Score
CardFan - I think the question for Stanford is are the new players actually better than the what was on the floor last year - the team is deeper and of course the players should continue their development, but ...
I am not saying they aren't, I really do not know. All I do know is C.O. will be great.

yes, they are. Most importanly, Chiney will get MAJOR help in the post.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Chiney will get help but won't have a Mercedes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd put Sims and KML ahead of Thomas too. Based on the Final Four, I might put Stewie ahead of everyone. I'm still waiting for Thomas to come up big in a big game. But I agree that getting Moseley and Mincy back really helps them. How much will the loss of Hawkins hurt?

I vastly underestimated ND last year. I won't this year. I think they are top 5 (or better) based on coaching, toughness, and style of play, until I see otherwise.

Louisville has momentum and good coaching. I'd rate them higher.

Duke has a ton of talent but lacks mental toughness.

Stanford has a superstar and a bunch of good players, but they will not win at UConn if we are healthy.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stanford's improved depth will be desperately needed because, other than Chiney (who was absolutely fantastic), Stanford looked really pedestrian against Georgia. I realize injuries played a big part in that, but they need a serious injection of talent to get to the next level. Chiney and Tara give Stanford as good a chance as any to make the F4, and I'd expect the Cardinal to beat the LVs in Maples in December. I also expect them to lose pretty handily in Hartford in November. Where they end up in March will be dictated by the progress subsequent to those games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would place Stanford 3rd. Chiney is better than anyone on Tennessee that's for sure. Stanford did beat Tennessee last year.

I really can't take this list seriously. Diggins is a loss. But I think McBride, Loyd, Achowa, and Muffett have proven they are more formidable than Nebraska and a unproven bunch of freshman coached by Sylvia Hatchell. And they get a top 5 recruit in Reimer.

1. UConn 2. Duke. 3. Stanford 4. Tennessee 5. Maryland 6. Notre Dame 7. Louisville 8. Kentucky 9. Baylor 10. Texas A &M Next- UNC, Nebraska, Cal, Dayton, Oklahoma
I agree I think Stanford will be better then TN, they were this year and I don't think TN improves any more than Stanford does. After what ND did this year, I don't think they drop that much. And Maryland will be much improved (or should be) with their injured players coming back. Same for Louisville. I could see Maryland, ND and Louisville better than TN next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually agree with you. I would have put Tennessee about 5 or 6 or so. People seem to forget their 2 seniors were their 2 best players in the NCAA's, and Russell may be #1 in some rankings, but she's no Parker, Moore, Taurasi, Stewart, etc. She MAY develop into a GREAT player, but centers are notoriously slow to develop and she's never really dominated in any of the international teams she's played on (team USA). I may have to change my opinion if she plays for Team USA and blows the doors off this summer, but she has a lot that needs to develop.

I actually think Duke is going to be VERY good this year. UCONN fans are used to beating the tar out of the Blue Devils but they played us even for 1 half, and bring back Gray and have a much better freshman class than we do coming in. IMHO there's a small gap between #1 and 2, then a larger gap after that. I'd have Stanford #3. Then Maryland, ND, Louisville, Tennessee, UNC, Kentucky, then not sure who after that. Not saying they will end the season there, but that's my preseason top 10'ish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom