Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creme's Preseason Top 25 2013-2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If JPM cannot get her team to compete with UCONN with the team that she has next season she might as well give it up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
He considers UConn to be "big favorites" to win No. 9. I don't agree with his top 10. I'd put Louisville ahead of Kentucky and North Carolina. Louisville returns everyone but Monique Reid and brings back 3 players from injury. Diggins will be a big loss for ND but the core of McBride, Loyd and Achonwa will be better than most team's top 3. I know Tennessee brings in Russell and Carter returns but the Lady Vols were unimpressive in their loss to Louisville and their best players in that game graduate.
  1. UConn
  2. Duke
  3. Tennessee
  4. Stanford
  5. Maryland
  6. Kentucky
  7. North Carolina
  8. Louisville
  9. Nebraska
  10. Notre Dame
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...n-college-basketball-preseason-top-25-2013-14

UConn will be far above and beyond any team in WCBB. Breanna and our freshman have shown what they can do in the NCAA tournament. UConns height advantage, and athleticism with their height will by itself overpower opponets on both sides of the ball. Breanna and KML will light it up big. Bria is healthy next season and BB should be. BB will be a wait and see. If healthy BB could make a huge difference. With that said I will say now UConn will be undefeated next season, and win their 9th NC without much competition.

Duke MD Tenn Stanford and ND will fight it out for the other top 3 positons in the polls. Right now I like ND a lot as a top 4 team. Duke based on their strong roster. MD Tenn and Stanford will fight it out for the other position. Lousiville is a great team and had a great run. Opponets will know to play perimeter defense to stop them. A lot will depend on who plays who. Duke ND and MD will clash 3- 4 times next season. UConn will face Baylor Duke MD on the road and only Stanford at home.

If I were to rank them right now its UConn Duke Stanford ND Tenn MD. Remember ND is in the ACC next season and ND knows how to play the game especially defense. I really think Duke and ND will dominate the ACC however playing each other as much as they will could hurt Duke ND and MD.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn will be far above and beyond any team in WCBB. Breanna and our freshman have shown what they can do in the NCAA tournament. UConns height advantage, and athleticism with their height will by itself overpower opponets on both sides of the ball. Breanna and KML will light it up big. Bria is healthy next season and BB should be. BB will be a wait and see. If healthy BB could make a huge difference. With that said I will say now UConn will be undefeated next season, and win their 9th NC without much competition.

Duke MD Tenn Stanford and ND will fight it out for the other top 3 positons in the polls. Right now I like ND a lot as a top 4 team. Duke based on their strong roster. MD Tenn and Stanford will fight it out for the other position. Lousiville is a great team and had a great run. Opponets will know to play perimeter defense to stop them. A lot will depend on who plays who. Duke ND and MD will clash 3- 4 times next season. UConn will face Baylor Duke MD on the road and only Stanford at home.

If I were to rank them right now its UConn Duke Stanford ND Tenn MD. Remember ND is in the ACC next season and ND knows how to play the game especially defense. I really think Duke and ND will dominate the ACC however playing each other as much as they will could hurt Duke ND and MD.

Tony, I have to agree. I don't see any team staying within 20 points of UCONN next season. It will just be the "1" to see next season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
  1. UConn
  2. Duke
  3. Tennessee
  4. Stanford
  5. Maryland
  6. Kentucky
  7. North Carolina
  8. Louisville
  9. Nebraska
  10. Notre Dame
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...n-college-basketball-preseason-top-25-2013-14

tumblr_mehf1vSdud1r6s2pj.gif

Reaction Score
Stanford's improved depth will be desperately needed because, other than Chiney (who was absolutely fantastic), Stanford looked really pedestrian against Georgia. I realize injuries played a big part in that, but they need a serious injection of talent to get to the next level. Chiney and Tara give Stanford as good a chance as any to make the F4, and I'd expect the Cardinal to beat the LVs in Maples in December. I also expect them to lose pretty handily in Hartford in November. Where they end up in March will be dictated by the progress subsequent to those games.

These 3 post players will help a lot, plus getting Camp and Greene back up to speed after injuries will help the back court. There is hope we’ll get Toni back, too.

Eric McCall
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/138727/erica-mccall

Kalee Johnson
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103456/kailee-johnson

Beebe who signed last yr. but sat out due to ACL
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/99317/alyson-beebe

and some guard help from Bonnie's lil sis

Karlie Samuelson
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102712/karlie-samuelson

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tony, I have to agree. I don't see any team staying within 20 points of UCONN next season. It will just be the "1" to see next season.

I think we've got as good a shot as any time for a really special season, but I won't go that far. I predict Stanford will be the closest of any opponent. Plus there will be at least one surprise.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know you hate UNC (I think you call them UNCheat?) but you have to admit they were a legit top 15-20 team last year, and they do have a terrific rookie class coming in. Maybe the lack of defense and run/gun disorganized offense will really hurt them this year, esp. against disciplined teams like ND, but I also have them in my preseason top 10 (not that my opinion counts for squadoosh...!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know you hate UNC (I think you call them UNCheat?) but you have to admit they were a legit top 15-20 team last year, and they do have a terrific rookie class coming in. Maybe the lack of defense and run/gun disorganized offense will really hurt them this year, esp. against disciplined teams like ND, but I also have them in my preseason top 10 (not that my opinion counts for squadoosh...!)

I think they are good for 4th place in the ACC. They are gonna miss their senior class alot.... I would put them in the 11-15 range...

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame at 10? Baylor at 12? Really?

Notre Dame returns arguably the best off guard in the nation in McBride, Loyd who I think will break out and have a great season, Achonwa who was one of the best posts last year, and they bring in Taya Reimer who is the #4 recruit in the nation and should be able to contribute from day 1. Add in McGraw, who was Coach of the Year this past season, and you're looking at a team that is definitely better than 10. I'd put them all the way up at #3 over Tennessee. Nobody on Tennessee is as proven as McBride/Loyd/Achonwa.

Baylor should also be much much higher in my opinion. Baylor is 74-2 in their last 76 games and was simply dominant. Sure, they lose just about everyone but they return the best point guard and on ball defender in the nation in Sims. The new players will be unproven, but it's worth noting that they spent the last couple seasons practicing against Hayden/Williams/Griner/Pope/Madden so they are used to facing touch competition, and they also bring in a strong recruiting class. Sims alone makes them a top 8 team in my book, I wouldn't be suprised if they are a final four team next year.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
These 3 post players will help a lot, plus getting Camp and Greene back up to speed after injuries will help the back court. There is hope we’ll get Toni back, too.

Eric McCall
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/138727/erica-mccall

Kalee Johnson
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/103456/kailee-johnson

Beebe who signed last yr. but sat out due to ACL
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/news/_/id/99317/alyson-beebe

and some guard help from Bonnie's lil sis

Karlie Samuelson
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/102712/karlie-samuelson

You are expecting a lot of help from three bigs who havent played a second in the NCAA. One of them hasnt played anywhere in 2+ years, since the ACL.
Thats a lot to expect. None of them are close to the talent of Ogwumike. All will help eventually, but I am not sure they are currently ready for a lot of minutes.
Hope it works out as I always root for the Pac12.
I also hope Kokenis can make it back, but I wouldnt count on it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd also drop Maryland a couple spots down, they haven't beaten a top 5 team (other than Duke) in the last few years, nor has Thomas proven that she can deliver in big games. Losing Hawkins also hurts a lot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't think Charlie composed this list last year, at least at this time though he did have a hand in ESPN's preseason picks in November. All I can say is it has a lot of similarities to last year's preseason list, which took a moderate amount of jumbling on the road to the final rankings. Of course, with any of these preseason lists, the question is are they supposed to be speculation on how the teams will be shaping up in the rankings in say mid December, or are they actually a guess about how the teams will produce for the whole year.

Louisville again occupies the #8 slot despite going to the NC and losing only one contributing player who was also playing on damaged goods while scoring the two biggest points in Cardinals' history. Odd. I'm not brave or foolish enough to predict the future before the stocks have been decently inventoried, but here's the biggest misguesses in last year's preseason polls.

Got No Lovin': How could the pollsters prematurely bury such "I'm not dead yet" old pepsters UNC, LSU, UCLA, and Wisconsin-GB? Not exactly spring chickens last year but they still made the top 25, and this year Charlie is officially raising UNC up from the dead zone. South Carolina and Dayton were newer faces among the top 16 teams.

Too Little Lovin': Notre Dame, Louisville, Cal, and UTenn were the most evident examples of teams that way exceeded expectations. Creme has certainly made sure that UTenn is fully appreciated this time, while Louisville, ND and Cal still apparently need to prove that they're just as lovable.

A Little and Way Too Much Lovin': ACC top dogs Duke and MD were a bit too beloved, and St. John's, Vanderbilt, and West Virginia fooled'em with the makeup and were considered way too pretty as they missed the final rankings completely.

One team was picked exactly right, Nebraska at #18. We'll see how Charlie's #9 does this season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ah there's the old Tony. No more Mr Negativity. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Notre Dame at 10? Baylor at 12? Really?

Notre Dame returns arguably the best off guard in the nation in McBride, Loyd who I think will break out and have a great season, Achonwa who was one of the best posts last year, and they bring in Taya Reimer who is the #4 recruit in the nation and should be able to contribute from day 1. Add in McGraw, who was Coach of the Year this past season, and you're looking at a team that is definitely better than 10. I'd put them all the way up at #3 over Tennessee. Nobody on Tennessee is as proven as McBride/Loyd/Achonwa.

Baylor should also be much much higher in my opinion. Baylor is 74-2 in their last 76 games and was simply dominant. Sure, they lose just about everyone but they return the best point guard and on ball defender in the nation in Sims. The new players will be unproven, but it's worth noting that they spent the last couple seasons practicing against Hayden/Williams/Griner/Pope/Madden so they are used to facing touch competition, and they also bring in a strong recruiting class. Sims alone makes them a top 8 team in my book, I wouldn't be suprised if they are a final four team next year.
I agree about ND. But Baylor? I'd be shocked (shocked I say) if they made it to the FF. (but then I was shocked by Louisville this year, so who knows. But I'd still be shocked)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is way too low at #10. I wouldnt have them any lower than #6.... if that low.

All I know is that it'll be awhile before she's a CL65, if ever..........

Mercedes%2BCL65%2BAMG.jpg

That is a MONSTER of a car.. I have a good female friend who is deadset on getting the CL 63 AMG.... I looked at the prices for a USED one..... and its still like :eek: Asked her if she was willing to "settle" on a regular ol CL 550 :rolleyes: Not sure if she still values my car advice though.... I tried to steer her towards a Honda Accord coupe...... she didnt really like my opinion on that :oops: Perhaps Im being a bit chauvinistic, but I told her that a woman doesnt really need a car with over 360 HP.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Don't think Charlie composed this list last year, at least at this time though he did have a hand in ESPN's preseason picks in November. All I can say is it has a lot of similarities to last year's preseason list, which took a moderate amount of jumbling on the road to the final rankings. Of course, with any of these preseason lists, the question is are they supposed to be speculation on how the teams will be shaping up in the rankings in say mid December, or are they actually a guess about how the teams will produce for the whole year.

A Little and Way Too Much Lovin': ACC top dogs Duke and MD were a bit too beloved, and St. John's, Vanderbilt, and West Virginia fooled'em with the makeup and were considered way too pretty as they missed the final rankings completely.

One team was picked exactly right, Nebraska at #18. We'll see how Charlie's #9 does this season.

I'm biased but the Duke pick wasnt that far off base. Preseason 3..... Finished regular season at 5. Just two losses...

Vanderbilt lost one of their top players in the preseason.... WVU lost its best player in the preseason as well. They both would likely have finished in the top 20 if completely healthy.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7787083/baylor-lady-bears-top-early-rankings-2012-13-season

Reaction Score
Tenn #3? I don't care who is coming in, they still will be a group of talented players who will play one on one on offense and have a disorganized, porous defense. They should be behind ND, Satanford (that was a typo, but, what the heck) Maryland and Louisville, at the very least.

Reaction Score
You are expecting a lot of help from three bigs who havent played a second in the NCAA. One of them hasnt played anywhere in 2+ years, since the ACL.
Thats a lot to expect. None of them are close to the talent of Ogwumike. All will help eventually, but I am not sure they are currently ready for a lot of minutes.
Hope it works out as I always root for the Pac12.
I also hope Kokenis can make it back, but I wouldnt count on it.

any help is needed and appreciated. Beebe and McCall will play right away and will have an impact for rebounding and less pressure on Chiney! Obviously none are as great as Chiney. I'm not counting on Toni, but there is still a chance...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm biased but the Duke pick wasnt that far off base. Preseason 3..... Finished regular season at 5. Just two losses...

Vanderbilt lost one of their top players in the preseason.... WVU lost its best player in the preseason as well. They both would likely have finished in the top 20 if completely healthy.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...-lady-bears-top-early-rankings-2012-13-season
Yeah, well I put it that Duke got a little too much love because it's at the top level where differences are magnified and I was going of the final-final rankings where Duke goes out at #6 after being picked at #3. Injuries are indeed big game changers for the final performance levels, as are the "they're getting so-and-so back" who always seem to be reckoned at their previous level of play when so often that is not the case. Preseason picks especially the way-early ones are always just kind of a fantasy draft kind of thing where you make selections based on the best info which turns out to be very imperfect by week 1 of a season.

Reaction Score
I'll play along.....

UConn
Duke
ND
Louisville
NC
Stanford
Tenn
Maryland
Baylor
Kentucky

with Nebraska looking to crack top 10

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
That's crazy. Stanford will be improved with a very good incoming class and getting many injured players back (Beebe, Camp, Greene, and still hope for Toni). Stanford will be better than many in top 10- 12. Can't wait to play TN and UConn to show ya. :)

Gotta give you credit, Cardfan. A 26 point loss and scoring only 35 points against Uconn and you can't wait to play them again. Quite the glutton for punishment, aren't we?

Sad to say Uconn knows very well the impact of multiple ACL Injuries to a player. I hope that Beebe staysa healthy, but to believe that she can have a big impact for Stanford this year seems to be wishful thinking to me.

You can have all the front line help you want but you need a good backcourt to beat Uconn. What you have are good but not great players.

It won't be pretty in Connecticut for Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom