Creighton post game (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Creighton post game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I sort of feel this team is a bit like the movie Forrest Gump - they are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. So we got a little bit of everything in this game.

Super frustrating Q1 - poor energy, little to no offense, standing around, lack of ball movement, and the opponent shooting 50% from 3. Then they started righting the ship in Q2, and continued with it in the 2nd half. It was the 2nd game with no Dorka. Geno made a comment about how hard it is for chemistry on the team to constantly have people entering and exiting the lineup. Just when you think we have turned the corner and we are going to have an extended period of consistent player availability, Dorka goes down (just for a few games, but the point is it's hard for continuity).

It really makes you realize that this team is not just a "plug and play". You can't just plug in a replacement and expect things to go smoothly. And Creighton is no slouch. I believe then are a NCAA tournament team.
  • No UCONN player had more than 2 fouls until Azzi picked up #3 late.
  • we shot over 41% from 3 in spite of Nika going 1-7.
  • 5 players scored 10 points or more
  • Olivia not only had great stats, but also had 6 assists and 2 steals. She is my POG
  • Christyn had a nice all around game
  • Caroline was judicious with her 3 point shooting!
  • Nika had 5 assists and 5 boards
  • Azzi continues to get acclimated to the team
  • Evina shone again off the bench
  • The mystery of Aaliyah continues
I'm sure there are some individual things to pick on from the coaches when they do the video review, but a very solid win against a good team. Thoughts and good energy for Geno.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • You have to give credit to Jim Flannery and his team. Creighton runs a lot of complicated action on offense, they swarm the ball on defense, and the Bluejays hustle for 40 minutes.
  • It’s difficult to imagine a more disappointing start to a game for the Huskies. UConn’s offense was stagnant, while Creighton was draining 3’s. It was a major miracle that UConn was only down 2 at the half.
  • Against a small Creighton team, this was a game where UConn really had to own the paint. The Huskies outrebounded the Bluejays by 12, Liv came up BIG, Christyn attacked the lane and Caroline figured out ways to score inside and out.
  • I figured this game was a lock once it was announced that CD would take over the HC job with Geno ill in the locker room, considering that she has never lost a game as a HC. It looked like it was touch and go for a while, but I guess it was always in the bag. :cool:
  • The refs basically let the two teams play tonight. I believe that may have helped UConn, as there were a number of potential fouls that could have been called, that would have really put the shorthanded Huskies in a bind.
  • I suggested a few weeks back that so long as UConn is missing key players, this season will continue to be a grind. In tonight’s game, on the road against a good Creighton team the Huskies had to dig down deep and find a way. They did just that.

Reaction Score
Good win, thanks to ONO and CW each has 17 pts. And 5 players with double.

Screenshot (14).png

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
*I give CD credit for having the patience to allow the team to work through the first quarter mess.

*I wish Azzi would hunt shots more. .

*LIv, of course, played really hard. Her and Aaliyah’s footwork around the basket, though, sigh…

*CD’s sub rotation seems really logical. Just a steady influence in a tough situation.

*Foul shooting was much better.

*I hope Geno is OK.

Reaction Score
A really rough start to the game, but things always look worse when the opponent is shooting lights out. Geno has said many times that there is a difference between playing well and shooting well, but we did give up way too many open looks early.

I thought ONO showed a ton of fight, and she and Caroline really sparked us offensively. I was befuddled by Chris Dailey's subbing rotation, especially with respect to Caroline. But seeing her with the bucket in Q4 might explain that.

Incredibly pleased by our 42% shooting from the floor and 100% from the FT line. I never thought we'd ever go perfect from the charity stripe this season.

Lastly, Azzi must get better at getting open, and her teammates must get better at finding her when she is. Her shot is dynamite, and will completely change this team. I have visions of KML hitting threes in transition.

Solid win with a lot of lessons to take away.

Reaction Score
*I give CD credit for having the patience to allow the team to work through the first quarter mess.

*I wish Azzi would hunt shots more. .

*LIv, of course, played really hard. Her and Aaliyah’s footwork around the basket, though, sigh…

*CD’s sub rotation seems really logical. Just a steady influence in a tough situation.

*Foul shooting was much better.

*I hope Geno is OK.
Ahhh Yeah... 11 for 11 is pretty good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The second half was probably the best UConn has played all season at both ends of the court. The Huskies need to bottle whatever they did tonight in the second half and bring it every game from here on out for a full 40 minutes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn once again shot 50% and over 40% from 3 and 100% from the line. We're getting better. The intensity energy and hustle was terrific. Thats 3 games I think in a row shooting well. We did it without Dorka and Paige oh yeah and Geno. We're lookin really good again. Depaul now Creighton. Next Butler and SUNDAY Tenn. I want the Tenn game so bad and I want a blowout.

Reaction Score
I was ready to turn off the tv after the first quarter. My God that was awful. Credit to Creighton. I don’t think I have seen a better 3 point shooting team.

Then came UConn. Effort. Effort. Effort!!! Loved it. We knew they had it in them. Soooo glad I was wrong on the outcome of this game.

Great game UConn.

Reaction Score
Caroline to a shot ate in 4Q and ended up in the locker room before the game ended. Hopefully, not concussion related.

Yup, I don't think she plays this weekend if I were a betting man. Was throwing up on the bench and looked completely out of it after the hit. Likely a concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom