Creighton post game (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creighton post game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know a few Nika fans will kill me but how can she be on the floor more than 5 or so minutes per game And you have either have Evina or CD or Azzi on the bench. She even didn’t even play good defense.
At the risk of sounding like I'm piling on Nika was very hands on with her defense tonight. She got a way with a lot of hand checking and shoving that the refs did not call. Hopefully some of the BYs that are prone to complain about refs after a game will remember this game.

Reaction Score
I know a few Nika fans will kill me but how can she be on the floor more than 5 or so minutes per game And you have either have Evina or CD or Azzi on the bench. She even didn’t even play good defense.
I am a fan of Muhl but I wouldn’t waste my time trying to “kill you”. If you and others couldn’t see her contribution to the win you just don’t have any understanding of the game.
So Uconn was able to get a 30 point turnaround against a pretty good team playing 4 on 5, since Muhl was on the floor for the vast majority of that time? Amazing feat, but I guess since she got so many minutes at least it proves Dailey is just as dumb as Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Rixxx,
It almost looked like Caroline threw up behind the bench into a trash can and then went to the locker room. That no one is asking about it on the air is surprising. The nausea can be a bad sign. Hope she’s ok.
as the father of a daughter in college, I know throwing up in the dorm bathroom while a friend or two help out is no fun............throwing up in front of a large crowd plus a tv audience must be mortifying...........I wonder whether she will want to see the replay when she's feeling better....:oops:

Reaction Score
The announcers keep saying CD is the one benefiting from Paige's injury. But I really think it's more Nika who is benefitting. To me CD benefitted from both Nika and Paige being out simultaneously, allowing Evina's spot to open up. At this point, she is better than Westbrook at the 3 spot, hence Evina coming off the bench.

Nika continues to play because Evina isn't a point guard, making her the only option. It's tough because her outside shot is pretty subpar, her passing is solid, and I don't see anything that indicates she's an elite defender. I think her intensity and grit are often mistaken for defensive ability. I won't deny she does bring energy. But it's not our strongest position right now.

When Paige returns, assuming she does and is able to work her way back, I see Nika being a backup pg who can spell Paige for 8-12 mpg. But for now she is the best option.

Reaction Score
Started with some adversity and pushed through it. Thought Caroline played within herself for the most part and showed she can hit open 3’s. Olivia was extra good tonight. Christyn keeps on trucki. Azzi still getting her feet wet.
Don’t want to start a back and forth but don’t you think if any of those 3 I named , if they had the ball in their hands as often as she did Would not have those stars or better, plus a lot better shooting averages. I don’t think so. Love her intensity though

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
This game was a microcosm of the season. The first 16 minutes of this game was some of the ugliest basketball I've ever seen a UCONN team play and the last 24 minutes was some of the grittiest & most beautiful.
Yes, I don't think I've ever seen such a turn-a round from bad to good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
as the father of a daughter in college, I know throwing up in the dorm bathroom while a friend or two help out is no fun............throwing up in front of a large crowd plus a tv audience must be mortifying...........I wonder whether she will want to see the replay when she's feeling better....:oops:
Caroline is in good company. We all remember Lou lighting up the Terps in the “barf bucket” game in College Park.

Reaction Score
First half was a struggle shout out to Creighton and Flannery.

Nelson-Ododa: She was aggressive and dominating this team down low. Typical Big East Olivia who is assertive and probey.

Muhl: Strong ball handling but she needs to donate all her three point attempts to Fudd.

Fudd: Her defense is suprisingly good, some blocks, some good action. Popped a few threes but defenses are playing her so tight. She has to run until forever.

Williams: Really good game from her inside and out. She stayed aggressive, praying for her ankle.

Westbrook: Bringing her draft stock back up, she's really good when she wants to be on both sides of the ball

Aaliyah: no comment

Ducharme: Timely buckets, finding her groove again. Not concerned about her, she's adjusting to the Paige Bueckers defense treatment.

All in all, a good BE win. But this team needs to screen for Azzi as if she's Paige Bueckers to open up the floor, keep Nelson Ododa aggressive, tell Edwards that she can foul out in offensive fouls but to stay aggressive, more transition pushes to Williams so she can create in traffic, let Evina defend some of the Emily Engstlers of the world, the posts need to look for shooters, the in and out game just goes in.
I love me some Azzi Fudd, but her defense was a mixed bag. Yes, some blocks and some deflections as well, but she was out of position several times in the first half, leading to wide open shots by Creighton. On a more positive note, I was really impressed by her movement off ball on offense. Can't wait for Paige to get back. She will find Azzi every time.

Reaction Score
8-12 minutes if it's a blowout. I think Nika will probably shoot 3's at over a 30% rate eventually but that's because she gets WIDE OPEN 3 POINT OPPORTUNITIES. She had time to calculated pie to 10 decimals before every shot. There is a reason for that. Anyone who "has any understanding of the game" should be able to see that.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I love me some Azzi Fudd, but her defense was a mixed bag. Yes, some blocks and some deflections as well, but she was out of position several times in the first half, leading to wide open shots by Creighton. On a more positive note, I was really impressed by her movement off ball on offense. Can't wait for Paige to get back. She will find Azzi every time.
Not atypical for a freshmen with very few games under her belt. Geno always says they spend a lot of time on D pre-season, and if players miss practices, it will impact their ability to learn and apply. She'll catch up with more PT and games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Should someone point out that Creighton is not even in the top 30 in the AP poll and doesn’t register in the Coaches Poll?
Sure! Can I point out that this team beat Creighton by 20 Points without the HC, Paige & Dorka after trailing by double digits on the road. Try and find something to be happy about this was a good effort considering all that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Azzi is a freshman that just played in her 7th game. She’s phenomenal considering how little practice time she’s had since being cleared to play

Reaction Score
Azzi can be a good supplementary player for this team. Both she and Evina are essentially in that role. Good players who generally don't hurt you. Let the scorers carry the scoring load but supplement with your very efficient 10 points and don't make mistakes. Azzi is even more efficient overall than Evina. Liv has become a real solid player who is championship caliber. A key to winning. Dorka really helps with those offensive rebounds and put backs. Caroline, Paige and CW will do the bulk of the scoring. If the 5th player in the lineup doesn't hurt you that's a solid team.

Reaction Score
Evina needs to start not Muhl….quoting Coach John Wooden “ a lot of activity without any achievement” she can help the team coming off the bench once the team can get to full strength….against an elite team she will be an offensive liability that far exceeds her toughness and hustle….nice complimentary player….Azzi also needs to play ahead of her….

Reaction Score
Wow What a turnaround.
1. They had to dig deep and they did.
2. Foul shooting OMG 11-11
3. Evina changed the game in the 2nd. Came in and hit some three's.
4. 5 players in double figures
5. CW looked the quickest I have seen her and that Eurostep and then the the spiner with the left hand was a wow.
6. Defense and switching was really good from the 2nd quafter on.
7. They are getting Azzi into the flow. Very important
8. Chris Dailey is cooler under pressure that Geno
Have to agree about Evina I thought she should have been subbed in sooner. Her presence seemed to calm things down, and she provided the leadership the team was lacking up to that point.

Reaction Score
The announcers keep saying CD is the one benefiting from Paige's injury. But I really think it's more Nika who is benefitting. To me CD benefitted from both Nika and Paige being out simultaneously, allowing Evina's spot to open up. At this point, she is better than Westbrook at the 3 spot, hence Evina coming off the bench.

Nika continues to play because Evina isn't a point guard, making her the only option. It's tough because her outside shot is pretty subpar, her passing is solid, and I don't see anything that indicates she's an elite defender. I think her intensity and grit are often mistaken for defensive ability. I won't deny she does bring energy. But it's not our strongest position right now.

When Paige returns, assuming she does and is able to work her way back, I see Nika being a backup pg who can spell Paige for 8-12 mpg. But for now she is the best option.
If you re-watch most of the games she in fact does not have that quick pass to cutters when they beat their defender

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Rixxx,
It almost looked like Caroline threw up behind the bench into a trash can and then went to the locker room. That no one is asking about it on the air is surprising. The nausea can be a bad sign. Hope she’s ok.
Reminds me of a game against MD with Katie Lou...except she didn't go to the locker room.

Reaction Score
If you re-watch most of the games she in fact does not have that quick pass to cutters when they beat their defender
That would definitely be a welcome addition to her arsenal. I said "solid" not "elite" for a reason. She does, as you state, routinely miss cutters, but she did have 5 assists to 0 TO this evening. That qualifies as solid in my book.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I missed the actual vomiting during the game. Something to look into when I watch MJL243's replay. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom