Creighton post game (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Creighton post game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One play that I liked a lot was Caroline's short shot inside against the much smaller defender in the second half. Caroline passed the ball from the corner to a teammate and went to basket, saw that the smaller defender was with her, immediately sealed off the defender and raised her hand to say "I'm open, feed me the ball", and she got the pass and just turned around quickly and put the ball in the basket without any thought to it.

I'm hoping that Ono can learn to do the same, that when she gets the ball down low, just pivot quickly and take the shot immediately. She'll get good results.
Throughout the second half, one of the change ups that UConn threw at Creighton was to flash their bigger guards into the lane with Liv feeding them from the high post. The Huskies did it successfully with both Caroline and Evina, and Liv lead the team in assists.

sun

Reaction Score
When handling the ball, Azzi showed that she has a faster twitch than anyone else on the team except for maybe Paige.
There were way too many traveling calls which IMO some could be avoided if the bigs would develop a hook shot, or step back and make a turn around shot.
It was a very physical game.
Maybe that's why both teams stopped playing with ~20 seconds left on the clock, that must be part of the players union contract.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Throwing up after getting hit in the head warrants heading to the locker room a bit more than throwing up from a sickness.
And yet Caroline was sitting on the bench with a big ol trash can behind her, that the camera caught being put there.

Reaction Score
When I was on the chat I noticed some people minimized CWs impact because she score after the work was done to get the lead. I thought she was great, it reminded me of past UConn teams that never let up on the gas and buried the other team, so there was no doubt about the victory. Several of the earlier games this season it seemed like we were just hanging on. The start of the game certainly didn't seem UConnesque, but the rest of the game brought back the same good feelings.

Reaction Score
She had multiple screens set for her, Nika for one set her up twice.
I may be old fashioned, but I always taught players to run their defender into the screen. Some of the UConn players tend to run around the screen, but usually not Fudd. Suspect we will see some great collisions as she and Edwards learn how to team up in the future.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I thought Nika played great and was very instrumental in the victory.

Steal and layup got us to down two at halftime instead of possibly down six.

39 minutes, no turnovers. We had about 15 total but none from her at the point guard position.

5 assists, 5 rebounds. A number of outstanding passes to the post or to cutters, especially in the second half. Some led to misses, some to fouls, could have easily had 8 or so assists.

Was instrumental in locking up Jensen in the second half. Jensen did not score after two threes early over somebody else. Her defense is relentless.

Great sharp pass to Azzi in the corner for a three.

Clearly the “floor general”.

She didn`t shoot it well. But she pretty much did everything else. Obviously the coaches value what she was doing or she would not have played 39 minutes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It was gratifying to see UConn respond and clamp down on defense. Creighton is well coached, but they are a perimeter based team, lacking height and athleticism. They squeeze every ounce of performance.

It remains concerning how UConn cannot put a full 40 minutes together. They may get away with it in the Big East, but UConn is playing with fire against top 20 teams, which they’ll see in the tournament. Nothing that has transpired this season so far in their play should instill confidence that it will magically turn around.

I realize that Azzi is getting back up to speed and the team is getting acclimated to her, but why aren’t the offensive sets doing more to get her clean looks. Her stroke is a thing of beauty. Azzi hitting a few 3’s opens the floor for everyone else. It’s also apparent that she has only begun to show her true potential. While it may not become fully evident this season, her sophomore year will be a coming out party. Particularly, when she has her riding partner alongside her. Just envision a thriving backcourt of Paige & Azzi leading a loaded arsenal of weapons next season. Till then, let’s see how far UConn can go this year.
Surely, I completely agree with every point in your narrative.

Reaction Score
I may be old fashioned, but I always taught players to run their defender into the screen. Some of the UConn players tend to run around the screen, but usually not Fudd. Suspect we will see some great collisions as she and Edwards learn how to team up in the future.
I noticed that players don't always properly use a screen. You can tell when they don't because the defender isn't trailing the offensive player. Shoulder to shoulder around a screen...and the defender has two choices...trail or go under. If a player goes around a screen along with the defender...they weren't shoulder to shoulder....or they were fouled.

Reaction Score
There were way too many traveling calls which IMO some could be avoided if the bigs would develop a hook shot, or step back and make a turn around shot.
Exactly. Liv especially should be using the quick turn around shot (perfect example was Caroline early in the 2nd half when she sealed off the smaller defender and just turned and put the ball in the basket). Also, both Liv and Aaliyah should work on drills to improve their footwork.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I see so many post players on other teams that receive a pass and just turn and shoot. UConn's posts should watch Evina and Caroline post up. They position themselves in a place where they don't have to dribble, and they keep the ball high.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like I'm piling on Nika was very hands on with her defense tonight. She got a way with a lot of hand checking and shoving that the refs did not call. Hopefully some of the BYs that are prone to complain about refs after a game will remember this game.
Both teams hand-checked consistently.

Reaction Score
I will defend Nika no matter what. Code of the west. It's retro Judge Roy Bean and Miss Lily Langtry sans the romantic implications.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I see so many post players on other teams that receive a pass and just turn and shoot. UConn's posts should watch Evina and Caroline post up. They position themselves in a place where they don't have to dribble, and they keep the ball high.
Funny you should mention that. It seems to me that last season, on several occasions, Liv hit a little 5-ft jumper where she would spin away from the basket. For the life of me, I cannot remember a single time this season when Liv tried that shot.

Reaction Score
Funny you should mention that. It seems to me that last season, on several occasions, Liv hit a little 5-ft jumper where she would spin away from the basket. For the life of me, I cannot remember a single time this season when Liv tried that shot.
You're asking a lot to expect 3-4 post moves and shots plus only 3+ years to work on them. ;)

Reaction Score
Evina has been kind of a co-point guard. You can see her directing younger players where to go in the offensive sets and she’s more than capable of avoiding the press bringing the ball up the court. I think some people have undervalued E this season.
Yeah, half the time Nika has been our point guard. Which is even more crazy. I love Nika but if we want to win a NC she needs to be a 5-8 minute per game player. Hopefully we are healthy enough for that to happen. And I'm fine with Azzi stepping into the PG role sharing it with Evina for a while. We need Azzi fully operational asap. If she's healthy, play her. Hopefully when Dorka comes back we can start that process.

Reaction Score
You're asking a lot to expect 3-4 post moves and shots plus only 3+ years to work on them. ;)
Post moves are fundamental to the game. Pete Newell, longtime Cal coach and NCAA champion, was the post-move guru of the 60's and 70's. Google him and you can glance at the 10 books he wrote on the subject. Long story short, every decent basketball coach can teach the basic moves. 1) chin the ball (classic stuff- grip the ball in the middle of your chest with elbows out in an athletic position, google Bill Walton) 2) see and feel the position of the defender(s) 3) based on #2, make a move and score and/or get fouled. Basic moves- drop step baseline (if defender is favoring middle) and add a "crab dribble" to get closer to the rim, drop step middle (vice versa) opens up a hook shot or a shot with the ball away from defenders (Robert Parish short J), pivot and face up, and up and under (Kevin McHale).
Stuff is taught at every decent summer camp from ES on up. Not just bigs as you say. Maybe our guards are better than our bigs at posting up. If our bigs chinned it and felt the D, they would be more effective. Actually move more deliberately not less. A double team means someone is open, pass the ball crisply, and jockey for rebounding position .

Reaction Score
Nika played at least 11 more minutes than Caroline, CW, Azzi or Evina. I'm dumbfounded.
Why?
I’ve said this before, have you even bothered to read what Auriemna’s has said multiple times for two years what Muhl, and frankly, she alone, brings to the team? Did you notice how aggressively she pushed the ball last night, and then listened to Dailey‘s post game comments about wanting to get good shots before the defense can get set up? Have you noticed who does the vast majority of talking in the player huddles on the court? Do you notice the veteran players paying attention? Have you noticed who most frequently is called to the sideline for communications with Auriemma, and last night with Dailey? All the players you listed above have pure offensive basketball skills superior to Muhl, no question, but……………
read olddude’s post on this thread regarding the disruption Muhl caused to Creighton‘s offensive continuity last night fighting over picks and switching constantly and seamlessly at the top of the defense. Creighton scored 20 points in the middle two quarters when Uconn erased the Creighton lead and took command of the game and Muhl was a huge part of that defensive domination.
She also had five rebounds and five assists and lost at least two more with excellent passes, one to Ono in the post and one to Williams cutting to the basket where they both got fouled and made all 4 foul shots. She had no turnovers.
I call it as I see it and shared that she played very poorly against Providence and she rightly got very limited minutes but IMO she played an outstanding game last night. She didn’t score, but again, my opinion, she had more of an impact on the game than any Uconn player outside of Ono.
I don’t mean to be rude or condescending but there is much more to the game than watching the ball and shooting, much more. In a world of highlight reel adoration and judging players solely or primarily on points scored, Muhl is just not that kind of player. IMO, it’s a good thing for Uconn, Auriemma and Dailey certainly know the game far better than that.

Reaction Score
Why?
I’ve said this before, have you even bothered to read what Auriemna’s has said multiple times for two years what Muhl, and frankly, she alone, brings to the team? Did you notice how aggressively she pushed the ball last night, and then listened to Dailey‘s post game comments about wanting to get good shots before the defense can get set up? Have you noticed who does the vast majority of talking in the player huddles on the court? Do you notice the veteran players paying attention? Have you noticed who most frequently is called to the sideline for communications with Auriemma, and last night with Dailey? All the players you listed above have pure offensive basketball skills superior to Muhl, no question, but……………
read olddude’s post on this thread regarding the disruption Muhl caused to Creighton‘s offensive continuity last night fighting over picks and switching constantly and seamlessly at the top of the defense. Creighton scored 20 points in the middle two quarters when Uconn erased the Creighton lead and took command of the game and Muhl was a huge part of that defensive domination.
She also had five rebounds and five assists and lost at least two more with excellent passes, one to Ono in the post and one to Williams cutting to the basket where they both got fouled and made all 4 foul shots. She had no turnovers.
I call it as I see it and shared that she played very poorly against Providence and she rightly got very limited minutes but IMO she played an outstanding game last night. She didn’t score, but again, my opinion, she had more of an impact on the game than any Uconn player outside of Ono.
I don’t mean to be rude or condescending but there is much more to the game than watching the ball and shooting, much more. In a world of highlight reel adoration and judging players solely or primarily on points scored, Muhl is just not that kind of player. IMO, it’s a good thing for Uconn, Auriemma and Dailey certainly know the game far better than that.
100%
Like you said, shooting just one aspect of the game. No doubt, E's 3's loosened the team up offensively, but Nika was key to turning around the defensive effort and performance.
We all love TV and sitting on our couches with our fridge's 5 feet away, but we don't really get the feel of the game from the camera at the top of the 1st deck. If we were court-side, we'd literally feel the impact Nika has. She's a rock. Nobody wants to come into contact with Nika. It's like having a bike accident on pavement. Asphalt don't give. Nika don't give.

Reaction Score
Post moves are fundamental to the game. Pete Newell, longtime Cal coach and NCAA champion, was the post-move guru of the 60's and 70's. Google him and you can glance at the 10 books he wrote on the subject. Long story short, every decent basketball coach can teach the basic moves. 1) chin the ball (classic stuff- grip the ball in the middle of your chest with elbows out in an athletic position, google Bill Walton) 2) see and feel the position of the defender(s) 3) based on #2, make a move and score and/or get fouled. Basic moves- drop step baseline (if defender is favoring middle) and add a "crab dribble" to get closer to the rim, drop step middle (vice versa) opens up a hook shot or a shot with the ball away from defenders (Robert Parish short J), pivot and face up, and up and under (Kevin McHale).
Stuff is taught at every decent summer camp from ES on up. Not just bigs as you say. Maybe our guards are better than our bigs at posting up. If our bigs chinned it and felt the D, they would be more effective. Actually move more deliberately not less. A double team means someone is open, pass the ball crisply, and jockey for rebounding position .
I've read 4 of Newell's books and am well aware of all of this. I was referring to her picking up little of it in 3+ years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dailey did a classic job of coaching. Didn't yell. Instead of side stink eyes, spoke calmly to each player, coaching them up on what to do on offense and in particular on defense. Changed the defensive switching to cut off the 3 pointers shut down Creighton's offense and led to numerous fast breaks for UConn.
That's NOT her style. She's the "good cop" vs Geno's bad cop episodes. She provides some "balance" at times to offset some of Geno's tirades. :confused: She's hard and direct on her the players, and like Geno, won't settle for mediocrity. She'll get the girls told when they need to be. No doubt there was less tension on the bench during the 1st 15 minutes of the game yesterday than it would have been if Geno had been there. There are a lot of WCBB head coaches that would love to have Dailey on their staff. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits