Creighton post game (merged thread) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Creighton post game (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've read 4 of Newell's books and am well aware of all of this. I was referring to her picking up little of it in 3+ years.
Wow, you da man!
Too bad, she should have had it since she was about 10. (5th grade)
Maybe it's more of an indictment on BBall fundamentals in general, that bigs don't have post moves. I have to look at a calendar to remember the last good pump fake I've seen inside. Lost art.
IMO the ugliest play in hoops is when a player drives hard to the hole for a layup or slam and passes to a spot up 3-point shooter. Crap, it's worth 3, not a meager 2.

Reaction Score
I realize that I am a little late to this party but I wanted to see what my fellow BYers had to say and to think about the game.

First, I though the early lead by Creighton was not mostly the result of our offense but rather our defense. They are a very good open three point shooting team, not so much when they are being covered. A lot of missed assignments, bad switches, and confusion. Evina actually helped the team not just with her 2 important 3s but also with her defense and by steadying the ship. I just don't understand why she doesn't drive and post up more and shoot mid range pull ups. I just hope to see it before she leaves us. It would change the team.

Second, AE has some serious flaws to her game that have to be fixed this off season. She needs a few muscle memory basic moves from both sides of the basket and she should stick to them. She walks whenever she has to make an interior move off more than 1 or 2 dribbles. She has to learn at 6-3 that if she receives a pass at head level to just go up , not bring the ball down. Also, her decision making with the ball is slow. She has a tendency to hold it, not pass at all at times when Caroline and Azzi are open. It is important Azzi gets the ball on cuts. It will get her some lay ups and foul shots but more importantly will make the defender back up a little on defense making her jump shots have more space.

Third, Caroline has to let the game come to her and her teammates have to look for her. She has forced shots in the last two games and doesn't have to if she gets the ball in the right position.

Fourth, Liv had a great game. A little less forcing of moves underneath will go a long way. She also got the benefit of the "playground few shooting fouls called" refereeing last night but won't in other games especially in the NCAA. Keep both arms up, don't swat down when the shot is taken.

Azzi is still feeling her way. Her defense has to improve and it will and I was happy to see her drive last night and finish. I think that is her first time here at UCONN doing that. Keep moving on offense and please get her the ball when she is open. If she sets, it's in.

Nika just needs to keep playing and leading. When the shot is open she has to take it so she has to just practice and not worry if she misses. She did that last night. She needs drive moves and a pull up but that is for the off season.

It was great to see all three seniors step up last night when needed. CW was a force in the second half and still goes to the basket in transition better than anyone. She played a very solid all around game.

I hope Kara Wolters is right about this game being the turning point for this team We have all been waiting for it. Butler has to be crushed early the way we used to do it and then Tennessee becomes an enormous game, in my view, the biggest one of the season. It's time to play UCONN hard, as Geno would say. As for our HOF coach last night, she showed why. It was a masterful job.
Totally agree!!!

I was shocked that ONO got her first foul called on her (not for lack of trying all game) with two minutes to go in the game....

Reaction Score
I couldn't understand why Nika was getting a lot more PT than Caroline or CW but maybe there was some sickness.
Well you have to remember that the players are not interchangeable parts--true, we call them all guards maybe, but Nika is the only true point guard (although EW spells her at times) now available on the team. Caroline actually is a SF or a wing, and CW is a SG who is not adept at all at ball movement and being a floor general... I do agree, that Nika should be a little more circumspect about launching 3's--Azzi was open several times on the perimeter and of course she shoots the 3 better...

Reaction Score
Totally agree!!!

I was shocked that ONO got her first foul called on her (not for lack of trying all game) with two minutes to go in the game....
I'm worried about her "hook" when she goes to the basket. Seems like a habit. Cringe to think about the call being made in a big game down the stretch. I thought the hook was a no-brainer for refs, like the move had been eradicated from the game, like small pox.
Maybe refs let it go because they realize 1 or 2 defenders are basically grabbing her and that's the only way she can get them off her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Truth be told neither player is doing a good enough job of facilitating this UCONN offense and that will be readily apparent against the better opponent. The offense does stall when Evina is in there but the real contrast is that as the PG Nika is also missing a significant number of the cutters in the lane and more significantly her post entry passes are not in a position where the post players can beat the defense with the first move. In fairness our post players need to be more productive with the paint touches. The other issue is shooting with Nika you get a deep ball or a layup and literally nothing in between. @JordyG has been harping on this all season. Nika needs to mix in some mid range-43 of her 63 FGA this season have been from deep and 20 have been at or near basket.
Thanks. What I was ecstatic to see was how the offense worked off a hybrid 23 keep. That is, when the guard gets the hand off they then have the option to shoot the pull up, pass to the rolling pick, of pass to the strong or weak side corner. This was the most prominent action Geno used for Paige. When Paige went down I've been screaming for them to do this action with Caroline Ducharme, and now, with Azzi. During the chat early on in the first quarter I kept saying the screener was wide open on the roll. When UConn got going this was the play that worked for them time and again until the end of the game. UConn now has two players that are money off that curl action and they need to utilize it. I've also been screaming for Caroline Ducharme to shoot more pullups than 3's, and that happened last game as well. The team needs to find Caroline Ducharme on the block more as well. She was open time and again yesterday and the guards missed her. One thing people don't seem to see is how much movement Azzi does. She works hard to get open and is frequently unrewarded for it. I counted at least 3 occasions yesterday where she was wide open at the arc and no one could find her.

I really liked that UConn finally did some effective screening, and most importantly, the guards did a better job of running their mark into those screens, although UConn was guilty of a lot of moving screens against Creighton that wasn't called. UConn still needs to do better on their down screens, but their high screens were much more effective.

Finally Evina did what I've been harping on since her return from Christmas break: make some good passes from the perimeter. Now, she still forces that boneheaded pass inside that makes me scratch my head, and she's good for one per game. But still, this game she made timely passes when players were in position. Nika as well. Now, Nika got beat a lot off the dribble yesterday, but although it may not have shown in the box score, she made quite a few really sweet passes. Though yes, Nika needs to shoot pullups, which she never does, to keep the defense honest. CW on the other hand is terrible at pullups. Once again, yesterday she shot maybe 4 and missed them all.

Reaction Score
Chris Dailey is not doing the blah blah-she is skillfully playing the same role she has played forever. Since Geno has a tendency to occasionally knock a player down, someone has to be there to lift these players up and that is Chris' role.
Exactamundo--this is what tangent coaching is all about. Geno and CD compliment the other quite well.... They are so transparent about their respective roles, I am surprised that it is not patently obvious to every UConn fan...

Reaction Score
Great win.
Some more random thoughts:
It seemed to me that Fudd was open numerous times and no one passed her the ball.
Fudd, when getting the ball, just gives the ball back to the big. If you only have one person to beat, take them off the dribble, more than likely you will get fouled or make the basket.
CD, bag the "Euro step". When her defender stays in front of her, she gets tangled up and turns the ball over. She needs to make a spin move.
AE just doesn't react. When she is quick she usually makes the basket, when she thinks , her footwork falls apart and trouble ensues.
Nika's shooting is always going to be inconsistent, why do we need to bring it up all the time?
ONO, how good would she be if she kept the ball above her shoulders down low. She brings the ball down, allowing the other team to grab her.
CW has found what works. Aggressively going to the basket.
Yeah, one reason Azzi didn’t get more shots is because the person you don’t want us to talk about was too busy going 1-7 to pass her the ball!

Reaction Score
Exactamundo--this is what tangent coaching is all about. Geno and CD compliment the other quite well.... They are so transparent about their respective roles, I am surprised that it is not patently obvious to every UConn fan...
tangent coaching? oh, and I think it is patently obvious to most UConn fans. oh, and it's complement.

Reaction Score
Even (especially) leaders need to know that when they are 1-7 maybe they should pass to the girl who is shooting 50% rather than continuing to jack up shots that have little to no chance of going in! Sure, she’s a spark for the team defensively, she’s intense, but I guess I must be watching a different game because on the offensive side there (Imo) is very little that she does well. She is a terrible shooter, not a good passer, and rarely attacks the basket! I’m not saying she’s not an overall asset to this team merely that she is more of a specialty player than an all around one and imo is only currently being used as such due to our unprecedented injury situation. Does anyone really believe that she is going to be playing ahead of Paige, Azzi, or Caroline, next year? There is nothing wrong with being the team’s defensive spark plug and backup to the best player in women’s college basketball!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, one reason Azzi didn’t get more shots is because the person you don’t want us to talk about was too busy going 1-7 to pass her the ball!
:eek:Nika was 2 for 8 in the game. If you are going to snipe please do so accurately.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
tangent coaching? oh, and I think it is patently obvious to most UConn fans. oh, and it's complement.
C'mon boontonbomber, I am sure that Geno has complimented Chris at least once in the last 36+ years and vice versa. :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Even (especially) leaders need to know that when they are 1-7 maybe they should pass to the girl who is shooting 50% rather than continuing to jack up shots that have little to no chance of going in! Sure, she’s a spark for the team defensively, she’s intense, but I guess I must be watching a different game because on the offensive side there (Imo) is very little that she does well. She is a terrible shooter, not a good passer, and rarely attacks the basket! I’m not saying she’s not an overall asset to this team merely that she is more of a specialty player than an all around one and imo is only currently being used as such due to our unprecedented injury situation. Does anyone really believe that she is going to be playing ahead of Paige, Azzi, or Caroline, next year? There is nothing wrong with being the team’s defensive spark plug and backup to the best player in women’s college basketball!
I think you are watching a different game. I don't mean that as a cut. I just think you are not taking into account just how much of an impact she has. You say she's a spark, but there's not way to quantify that. Coaches try to tabulate stats like deflections in order to better quantify defensive pressure and getting in the passing lanes.
It's about chemistry. Analogy maybe: a catalyst in a chemical fire or explosion.
I said in an earlier post that we miss stuff as fans because we watch the game from the bottom of the 2nd deck. Would you feel Nika's presence more if you had a floor seat? I say yes, and I hope she doesn't run into me because she's a rock.
An inconsistent, somewhat struggling UConn team overcame a deficit and beat a decent team by 20. (30 point turnaround)
Without Nika's imprint on the game, do they win by more or less than that? You won't find the answer on the stat sheet. I know my answer.

Reaction Score
Same old tired argument and offering your opinion and not addressing what the coach has publicly said about Muhl or her obvious leadership role interacting with the coaches and players. Nor addressing that she has started virtually every game she has been healthy for two years. Is she a great player individually? No, but it seems obvious the coaches feels the team is better with her on the court. I would also offer that if the team had her “intensity” against Arizona, including the “best player in women’s college basketball”, Uconn very well could be defending national champions.
Finally, personally, I think the “oh, horrors, she stinks, she took a shot when Azzi Fudd was open“ is comical and reads more like “boy band” infatuation than solid basketball analysis to me. Muhl took good open shots and shot poorly, she hardly was jacking shots and the game of basketball is far more than how did you shoot.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Liv especially should be using the quick turn around shot (perfect example was Caroline early in the 2nd half when she sealed off the smaller defender and just turned and put the ball in the basket). Also, both Liv and Aaliyah should work on drills to improve their footwork.
1 Million percent. If you are 6'3" or 6"5" why are you neutralizing your height by bringing a pass, an offensive rebound or a defensive rebound down to the floor? Go straight up strong if you are by the basket and if you really know what you are doing pump fake first to get the and 1. Footwork is especially needed for Aaliyah who it seems walks constantly if she has to dribble more than once.

Reaction Score
First half was a struggle shout out to Creighton and Flannery.

Nelson-Ododa: She was aggressive and dominating this team down low. Typical Big East Olivia who is assertive and probey.

Muhl: Strong ball handling but she needs to donate all her three point attempts to Fudd.

Fudd: Her defense is suprisingly good, some blocks, some good action. Popped a few threes but defenses are playing her so tight. She has to run until forever.

Williams: Really good game from her inside and out. She stayed aggressive, praying for her ankle.

Westbrook: Bringing her draft stock back up, she's really good when she wants to be on both sides of the ball

Aaliyah: no comment

Ducharme: Timely buckets, finding her groove again. Not concerned about her, she's adjusting to the Paige Bueckers defense treatment.

All in all, a good BE win. But this team needs to screen for Azzi as if she's Paige Bueckers to open up the floor, keep Nelson Ododa aggressive, tell Edwards that she can foul out in offensive fouls but to stay aggressive, more transition pushes to Williams so she can create in traffic, let Evina defend some of the Emily Engstlers of the world, the posts need to look for shooters, the in and out game just goes in.
Sorry - can’t agree with great ball handling by Nika.

Reaction Score
Just got the chance to watch the entire game. Obviously Nelson Ododa was excellent, but IMHO this was one of if not the best game of Evina Westbrook’s career (especially given the circumstances). Even a post move!

Could be a season-altering game.
It was one of Evina's most precisely focused games because she imposed her will in exactly the right spots both defensively and by taking the team on her shoulders with her big 3s.

I am not sure if you mean a season altering game for her or for the team. I think you would be right on both counts. It's senior time. The games are fewer and mean more. If she and they come out like they are on a search and destroy mission tomorrow night you will know you are right. I think they will.

Reaction Score
The complete ignorance of nuance is mind boggling. It’s Geno’s job to encourage everyone. What is he going to do say “hey Nika, why don’t your join Mir, Poffenberger, Anna etc…” as we spend a 10 game sequence with 7 players during covid. He NEEDS Nika right now because she’s a good back up player. There is nothing wrong with that. Someday she can play in Europe for a while and be a great coach. The WNBA is not happening. And when Paige and Dorka come back Nika will be 7 or 8 in the depth chart again. I get it. You are fans and we all like Nika. I just can’t believe how many people don’t see the obvious.

Reaction Score
Looking back on this game, Creighton was clearly over rated but it was a solid win on the road anyway. We came back strong and We’ll take the W.

Reaction Score
*I give CD credit for having the patience to allow the team to work through the first quarter mess.

*I wish Azzi would hunt shots more. .

*LIv, of course, played really hard. Her and Aaliyah’s footwork around the basket, though, sigh…

*CD’s sub rotation seems really logical. Just a steady influence in a tough situation.

*Foul shooting was much better.

*I hope Geno is OK.
AZZi did seem, however, to be getting her game back today. She hit threes that were there; she drove to the hoop; she hit foul shots; she played good defense; and made some nice passes. She is also getting closer to basketball shape. Probably with Dorka out she is getting those minutes. All to the good. AZZI is a complete player and we have a lot to look forward to. Just as Caroline will smooth out rough edges every game. C. Williams is a great athlete; strong , fast and smart ( also tough). Olivia playing great. Westy feeling control again. Muhl is like a hornet. Edwards is getting her mojo back. Team learns and grows each week. I hope to see our bench ( DeBerry and Piath ) against the Butler Bulldogs. It is a crazy year, but great fun to be along for the ride. Nice job by coach CD today.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AZZi did seem, however, to be getting her game back today. She hit threes that were there; she drove to the hoop; she hit foul shots; she played good defense; and made some nice passes. She is also getting closer to basketball shape. Probably with Dorka out she is getting those minutes. All to the good. AZZI is a complete player and we have a lot to look forward to. Just as Caroline will smooth out rough edges every game. C. Williams is a great athlete; strong , fast and smart ( also tough). Olivia playing great. Westy feeling control again. Muhl is like a hornet. Edwards is getting her mojo back. Team learns and grows each week. I hope to see our bench ( DeBerry and Piath ) against the Butler Bulldogs. It is a crazy year, but great fun to be along for the ride. Nice job by coach CD today.
Azzi's defense was not good last night it was awful. She has a long way to go with her individual defensive technique.

Reaction Score
C'mon boontonbomber, I am sure that Geno has complimented Chris at least once in the last 36+ years and vice versa. :):rolleyes:
Sorry, it's just that I taught mathematics, and if someone's going to use geometric terms, then they should spell them correctly.

Reaction Score
Azzi's defense was not good last night it was awful. She has a long way to go with her individual defensive technique.
Too much picking at individuals on here. It's a team game. Azzi can help the team defensively if put in the right positions. Do you draw it up that Azzi covers a driving guard from the 3 point line to the rim with no help? That happened last night.
She got her hands on some balls last night- blocks and steals- and she IMO is a better rebounder than I ever imagined. If we have to hide her, then that's what the team has to do. Maybe she plays a forward on D. When she starts lighting it up offensively, like 5 3's a night, posts about her D will be crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom