Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year?

Reaction Score
A, I think he is happy where he is now, close to home and no pressure
B, his buy out is like 12 million dollars.

Reaction Score
A, I think he is happy where he is now, close to home and no pressure
B, his buy out is like 12 million dollars.
Clearly there is no pressure if the University just said they won't fire him after literally going winless in the conference. He's got the best gig in the world, the floor could not be any lower lmao

Reaction Score
Clearly there is no pressure if the University just said they won't fire him after literally going winless in the conference. He's got the best gig in the world, the floor could not be any lower lmao
I think he was referencing pitino

Reaction Score
Oh, well the same sentiment is probably true for Ewing too lol
With Ewing the admin either said we need to give Ewing one more year because he’s our guy or they said we don’t want to pay the buyout yet so let’s give him one more shot. Not sure if their mind frame matters if they come out and lay another egg next season.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I hate to agree with the guy but perusing the GTown forums their fanbase seems to agree that the school just doesn't care too much about sports beyond keeping it in the family. True, I dunno but wow their record is depressing.

The real problem this year? His team can't hear Patrick shouting "rebound" at them non-stop anymore like last year. Those 6 fans they had at our game last week really drowned him out.

Reaction Score
Winning just 6 games is so historically bad that maybe some extremely bad luck played into it somehow. covid, transfers, I don't follow it closely enough. At any rate, it would be a shame if G'town doesn't do something to shore up its basketball program. It just won a soccer championship a couple seasons ago. Mullin only lasted 4 years at SJU so it's not the end of the world for a legend to leave with little success.

Commuter school, imo, connotes schools where students want to save money by living at home and going to school close to home. I don't consider any Big East schools "commuter." Many are in cities so of course many students live off campus on account of there being plenty of housing a short walk from the actual campus.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Winning just 6 games is so historically bad that maybe some extremely bad luck played into it somehow. covid, transfers, I don't follow it closely enough. At any rate, it would be a shame if G'town doesn't do something to shore up its basketball program. It just won a soccer championship a couple seasons ago. Mullin only lasted 4 years at SJU so it's not the end of the world for a legend to leave with little success.

Commuter school, imo, connotes schools where students want to save money by living at home and going to school close to home. I don't consider any Big East schools "commuter." Many are in cities so of course many students live off campus on account of there being plenty of housing a short walk from the actual campus.
Not that it means all that much but St John's and DePaul are absolutely commuter schools.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am not sure the statement today means that he is coming back. It is very carefully worded.

The show of support might just make it easier for Ewing to walk away after the season on good terms with the university. I would put the odds on him coming back at 70/30 against.

Reaction Score
Not that it means all that much but St John's and DePaul are absolutely commuter schools.

They absolutely are. I think the weird part about Freescooter's anti-Big East animus is that the claim that "most" of the Big East is comprised of commuter schools is just factually incorrect. It would be more accurate to say that "most" of the Big East schools are "not" commuter schools. Which is a big difference.

I had a great law school professor (RIP Daniel Meltzer) who would say, when a student incorrectly answered "yes" to question: "Can you think of a slightly shorter but more accurate way of answering that question?"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They absolutely are. I think the weird part about Freescooter's anti-Big East animus is that the claim that "most" of the Big East is comprised of commuter schools is just factually incorrect. It would be more accurate to say that "most" of the Big East schools are "not" commuter schools. Which is a big difference.

I had a great law school professor (RIP Daniel Meltzer) who would say, when a student incorrectly answered "yes" to question: "Can you think of a slightly shorter but more accurate way of answering that question?"
Might’ve been a heavily nuanced “yes”.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Yes, the remainder (just shy of 82%) of the conference could not qualify as commuter schools under any stretch of the imagination.

What I find most humorous about his claim is that the AAC has more commuter schools (USF, UCF, Memphis, Houston) than the Big East does.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
OMG, I must share this with my wife who is a professor - she'll love it as much as I do.

I agree, the statement from GT doesn't really mean much at all but I have to imagine the buyout is painful?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am not sure the statement today means that he is coming back. It is very carefully worded.

The show of support might just make it easier for Ewing to walk away after the season on good terms with the university. I would put the odds on him coming back at 70/30 against.
Good point. The money really doesn't mean much to an NBA star who made over $120 million in his career. TV announcers said he was a very good Asst. coach in the NBA so not sure why he did not have more success. I never did get the story on why some of the highly touted recruits left. I wish him the best if he moves on. Faced a lot of unwarranted adversity by some moronic fans in his college career. He certainly makes my all- worthy opponent team. He has character and has been a great role model.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

It is an interesting statement. I'd almost want to say that they move Ewing into a President of Basketball Operations and Recruiting then go out and hire an Xs and Os coach. Patrick Ewing in your living room has to be a good recruiting tool.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
It is an interesting statement. I'd almost want to say that they move Ewing into a President of Basketball Operations and Recruiting then go out and hire an Xs and Os coach. Patrick Ewing in your living room has to be a good recruiting tool.
Does Ryan Mutombo's development figure into their decision? I liked the kid with the little I saw of him - a little Pork Chop freshman year.

Reaction Score
At St. John's that's a big plus for the students who come from far away:
"Students came from 46 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and 119 countries."

Reaction Score

Which other Big East schools do you consider "commuter," and is it a good thing, a bad thing or it doesn't make a difference?

Reaction Score
Which other Big East schools do you consider "commuter," and is it a good thing, a bad thing or it doesn't make a difference?

Me? None. But I wasn't the one using the "commuter school" appellation as a means of diminishing the conference.

Reaction Score
DePaul is technically a commuter school but I don't think of it as your typical commuter schools which are full of parking lots and many/most kids living with their parents. DePaul is a city school, kids live on their own and walk from their apartments/houses to class or hop on the train. It's a city school like NYU, even though they fit the definition they aren't like your typical commuter schools. The only 1% of DePaul kids live on campus that freescooter saw online and referenced isn't accurate.

Reaction Score
Why does being a commuter matter? Are they lesser fans?
I don't think it matters. If taking a literal definition, that many kids don't live on campus, then I'd say most Big East schools are probably commuter schools because they are in cities, although the commutes can be very short. If the connotation is a less expensive, most kids live at home school, then I don't consider any BE schools "commuter" schools. eg Louisville where most kids are probably from Kentucky.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
DePaul is technically a commuter school but I don't think of it as your typical commuter schools which are full of parking lots and many/most kids living with their parents. DePaul is a city school, kids live on their own and walk from their apartments/houses to class or hop on the train. It's a city school like NYU, even though they fit the definition they aren't like your typical commuter schools. The only 1% of DePaul kids live on campus that freescooter saw online and referenced isn't accurate.
Both St John's and DePaul are Vincentian schools. They also were exclusively commuter schools (no school owned housing or residences on campus) until recently. Where they differed from other commuter schools is that their student bodies (in each case from major US cities with significant public transportation infrastructure) commuted via public transportation, not by driving to and from campus.

It wasn't until the early 1990's that DePaul built any on campus housing and it was nearly a decade later that St John's did. In each case many who followed each school felt that this damaged their basketball programs as once there was on campus housing, the schools could no longer provide a stipend (in lieu of housing) as part of the athletic scholarship. City kids could remain home and bank the stipend while playing at those schools.

As far as the other BE schools, I cannot speak for Butler, Creighton, Marquette or Xavier but with the exclusive, pricey eastern members (Georgetown, Providence Seton Hall, Villanova) very few underclassmen live off campus. The model they utilize, the students who do live off campus (I imagine fewer than Kolumbo is suggesting in his post) only do so as upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
Both St John's and DePaul are Vincentian schools. They also were exclusively commuter schools (no school owned housing or residences on campus) until recently. Where they differed from other commuter schools is that their student bodies (in each case from major US cities with significant public transportation infrastructure) commuted via public transportation, not by driving to and from campus.

It wasn't until the early 1990's that DePaul built any on campus housing and it was nearly a decade later that St John's did. In each case many who followed each school felt that this damaged their basketball programs as once there was on campus housing, the schools could no longer provide a stipend (in lieu of housing) as part of the athletic scholarship. City kids could remain home and bank the stipend while playing at those schools.

As far as the other BE schools, I cannot speak for Butler, Creighton, Marquette or Xavier but with the exclusive, pricey eastern members (Georgetown, Providence Seton Hall, Villanova) very few underclassmen live off campus. The model they utilize, the students who do live off campus (I imagine fewer than Kolumbo is suggesting in his post) only do so as upperclassmen.
That's not the case for DePaul, they've had dorms for 50 years...they've been bad at basketball because of coaching. Pat Kennedy had the #1 recurring class in the country in the late 90's but did nothing with the stud players he brought in and then Leitao, Oliver Purnell, and Jerry Wainwright all continued it. I think they finally have a good coach in Stubblefield.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
That's not the case for DePaul, they've had dorms for 50 years...they've been bad at basketball because of coaching. Pat Kennedy had the #1 recurring class in the country in the late 90's but did nothing with the stud players he brought in and then Leitao, Oliver Purnell, and Jerry Wainwright all continued it. I think they finally have a good coach in Stubblefield.
Are you sure about DePaul having dorms for that long? I vividly remember business trips to Chicago in the late 1980's and reading (somewhere around 1989-1990) that they agreed to and were raising funding for on campus residences and would be completed in the subsequent two to three years. If they had dorms at that time I stand corrected but I do know of people who followed that program that complained about losing the stipend.

Of greater importance, how did Freescooter's claim that the BE is primarily commuter schools devolve into this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom