Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Well since it's looking like Ewing is a goner one way or another.....

I'd make a strong push for :

1. Aminu Mohammed if he doesn't declare (can be a great Tyrese replacement)

2. 2022 Commit Denver Anglin (who we should've got in the first place)

Both would be a huge help for 2022 and beyond
Really hope the staff is proactive on Anglin. Let him know he has a spot before he decommits.

Reaction Score
what did this say???
Said Ewing was going to retire sometime before or after the Big East tournament.

May not have been super sourced, so we'll see. Probably still happens.

Reaction Score
And that would be perfect for Georgetown. Win a handful of games. Well, actually the perfect season would be .500 in the NEWBIE and .500 overall. Then they could claim they are not Terrible, but they don’t over emphasize athletics. It isn’t that they oppose having a winning program. And they wouldn’t oppose winning a National Championship. But it isn’t that important and they aren’t doing all those things you need to do to succeed at a high level in D1 basketball. If they win, great. If they don’t win, that’s ok. The next Secretary of State is probably on the Political Science faculty and there is a Pulitzer Prize there, and some medical school faculty are engaged in groundbreaking research on cancer treatment.
Georgetown was always sort of the answer to which one doesn’t belong In the Big East. But in the 1970s having Catholic ties was more important or at least equal to academic reputation. It has become more of a misfit as it’s academic prestige has risen and the NOOB has a collection of mostly mid level inner city colleges and religious affiliation has become less significant.
Georgetown is paying Ewing over $3 mill per year. Yes, basketball is important. Probably more important than soccer which just won a national champeenship.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
1. Aminu Mohammed if he doesn't declare (can be a great Tyrese replacement)
Can’t happen no inter conference transferring allowed in the Big East

Reaction Score
I don’t get what’s funny about this. Pat’s a good dude, and a proud guy. I hope it works out for him. I’m glad we’re out of the basement and on the way up but I’m not going to mock this guy or his program.

Syracuse on the other hand ….

Reaction Score
I don’t get what’s funny about this. Pat’s a good dude, and a proud guy. I hope it works out for him. I’m glad we’re out of the basement and on the way up but I’m not going to mock this guy or his program.

I am with you. maybe I am too nostalgic, but I would really like to see Patrick Ewing and Georgetown succeed. It would benefit the entire Big East for Georgetown to be a national powerhouse program

Reaction Score

Schadenfreude from our similar experience.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Not that Patrick doesn't seem motivated but from the supposed contract info I found on Hilltop\Hoyatalk there is almost no incentive for him to do well during the regular season whereas Hurley, for example, has a lot of cash bonuses tied up in season performance. Most of PE's would come from a BE championship and NCAA runs.

He's also getting paid an extremely high salary considering his lack of HC\CBB exp, it's about $3mil and change annually (they say he made mid 6 figures as an AC in the NBA so this is a huge jump salary-wise). Seems strange as the fans say GT doesn't care at all about the program but the school has dumped a pretty large sum into it over the last few years - Ewing's earnings alone will be over $18mil. If you are going to pump this kind of cash into the system you'd hope you would support it too.

Clearly GT is an academics school but IMO having at least one good sporting team is big boon as it will help attract alumni to events, and alumni is where your money is at.

Reaction Score

i dont think that the board is lumping gtown in with Cuse. as the third most storied program in the BE it seems like most here, myself included, want them to turn it around so they can become a rival on par with Nova and PC. having said that, it's year 5 under ewing and theyve hit rock bottom so a good time for a change.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Wow, that's nuts - I had assumed he got a "free" 1yr extension by winning the BET like how Hurley would. 3? Eesh, especially at his insane salary.

Reaction Score
As an aside, I'm very thankful Tom Crean didn't end up here. I still can't believe this guy's name comes up. Worst season in UGA history - and that's saying something.

Reaction Score
Really hope the staff is proactive on Anglin. Let him know he has a spot before he decommits.
If anglin were to de-commit I still think the grad market is the way to go. You will have diggins as a sophomore and then castle coming in the following year. A one year experienced player I think would benefit the most next year.

Reaction Score
Ewing caught a tough break when Wahab left for Maryland last year. Lost his best player and set the team back.

Reaction Score
Ewing caught a tough break when Wahab left for Maryland last year. Lost his best player and set the team back.
he's lost his best player or players for a couple years in a row now, it's the biggest part of the problem. fully expecting mohammed to bail after this season as well.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Patrick Ewing shakes up staff at Georgetown, parts ways with 2 assistants

Patrick Ewing is parting ways with assistants Robert Kirby and Akbar Waheed, sources said, while Louis Orr is expected to remain in a different role. Ewing may opt to bring in an associate head coach or assistant with head coaching experience, such as what Juwan Howard did with Phil Martelli at Michigan. The Hoyas will also need assistants with strong recruiting ties.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom